post Dec 27 08, 16:52
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

An interesting metaphor here Peggy with your use of 'castrates' - such a strong word. I'm not familiar with Abelard - is he someone in a myth? Sorry to ask, I'm at my folks in Maine at present using dial-up with Firefox so it's not too harsh but still slower than I'm used to back at home - no time to google...

I wonder if there's a substitute for the word 'but'? Perhaps "Her" or Their? Do tell me more about this theme you have started...

Happy Ho Ho Ho!
~Cleo xmas.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Maggie
post Dec 27 08, 17:57
Post #3

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Cleo,

The Abelard and Heloise story is an old one, but a true one. Peter Abelard was a French philosopher who taught at Notre Dame in Paris in the eleventh and twelfth centuries. He fell in love with one of his students, the beautiful Heloise. Since he was a teacher of philosophy, he was not allowed to have sex or ever marry. But he did have sex with Heloise, and she became pregnant. Abelard secretly married her and took her to his sister's house far away from Paris to have the baby. They named the baby Astrolade. Heloise's Uncle, the rector of Notre Dame, was Heloise's guardian and became violently angry at Abelard for shaming his niece. The uncle hired a band of Paris ruffians to castrate Abelard, so they broke into his lodgings and did castrate him. Much of the Paris population rose up against the uncle, and he was ruined financially and reputation-wise as well.

Abelard was desolate with grief and so was Heloise. Abelard talked her into joining a holy order, and he did as well. Their child Astrolade was raised by Abelard's sister and her husband. Abelard and Heloise wrote to each other until Abelard died of old age.
They both attained great fame in their holy orders. Abelard died years before Heloise, and when Heloise died Abelard's grave was opened and Heloise's body was laid beside his. When Napoleon came to power, Josephine, his wife, had the bodies of Abelard and Heloise were moved to a Paris cemetery. I forget the name of the cemetery This is not myth or legend, but history. Now this part is legend: It is said that when they lay Heloise's body beside him in the grave he put his arm around her.

Their grave is visited by thousands yearly to this day in Paris. Cleo, you would find this a fascinating story. Google them.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 28 08, 08:15
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Peggy,

It certainly is a fascinating story, one I will look into. Thanks for sharing this history with me. Read.gif

Cheers
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Jan 9 09, 13:07
Post #5

Peggy, a very interesting story, seems like there would be more than a senryu in all that. Good Short piece though.
Steve

Maggie
post Jan 9 09, 13:32
Post #6

Greek

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for reading and responding!!! And especially thank you for the suggestion of a longer poem! That would be quite a challenge for me for story poems of much more than 12 or 14 lines seem difficult, but maybe I need to branch out and try. Maybe I could work something up by Valentine's Day.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Larry
post Jan 12 09, 19:22
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Peggy,

A couple of suggestions and some information you might be interested in about Peter Abelard (1079-1142).

Suggestions, take or toss!

Since Heloise's Uncle was not really an evil man, just violently angry and seemingly extremely hateful, and to lose the "but" in L2, you might consider this:

Castrated by hate
His passion lasts forever
beyond death itself

Info: I believe that after Peter entered the holy order, he wrote a beautiful poem/prayer that was translated by John Mason Neale in 1851, which you might be interested in reading.

O what their joy and their glory must be,
those endless sabbaths the blessed ones see,
crown for the valiant, to weary ones rest;
God shall be all, and in all ever blest.

Truly "Jerusalem" name we that shore,
city of peace that brings joy evermore;
wish and fulfillment are not severed there,
nor do things prayed for come short of the prayer.

There, where no troubles distraction can bring,
we the sweet anthems of Zion shall sing;
while for thy grace, Lord, their voices of praise
thy bless'ed people eternally raise.

Now, in the meanwhile, with hearts raised on high,
we for that country must yearn and must sigh;
seeking Jerusalem, dear native land,
through our long exile on Babylon's strand.

Low before him with our praises we fall,
of whom, and in whom, and through whom are all;
of whom, the Father; and in whom, the Son;
through whom, the Spirit, with them ever One.

Peter Abelard

Loved the story and the concise way your senryu covered the it.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Jan 12 09, 19:48
Post #8

Greek

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for sharing Abelard's poem!!! He was a pretty good poet, wasn't he?

And I do think "hate" may be a better word than "evil." Thanks for the suggestion!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 13 09, 06:41
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Yes, a fascinating poem for sure!!!! cheer.gif

Peggy, not sure if you are a stickler to the form, but now L1 has only 4 syllables, but Larry's suggestion would fix that line: Castrated by hate

Cheers
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Jan 13 09, 07:55
Post #10

Greek

Hi Cleo,

Thanks for catching the missing syllable!! I fixed it.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Sekhmet
post Mar 8 09, 04:27
Post #11

Greek

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 754
Referred By:No one at all

Hello Peggy - Thank you for reminding us of the tragic romance of Abelard and Eloise.
My husband and I visited the Pere-Lachaise cemetery in Paris many, many years ago - and visited the 'alleged' tomb of the lovers.
We were honeymooning at the time - and had recently seen the play, 'Abelard and Eloise' at,(If I remember correctly)The National Theatre, in London.
"Although the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery in Paris is believed to be the most likely resting place of the two lovers, their final burial spot remains in dispute, with the Oratory of the Paraclete also claiming to be their final resting place."
An excellently succinct encapsulation of one of the great love stories of all time.
Leonora

·······IPB·······

Maggie
post Mar 8 09, 06:06
Post #12

Greek

Hi Leonora,

Thank you for the read and the bit of history!! I didn't know about the conflict between the two cemeteries. I've been to Paris three times but have not had an opportunity to visit the cemeteries. Thank you again!!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn
post Mar 10 09, 04:16
Post #13

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

G'day Peg,

Abelard's Passion (Revision 2)

Ignorance castrates, >>> first line is a concise quotation of the real life story
but passion is forever, >>> Ditto the above,
beyond death itself. >>> The summing up of the above.

I venture to say an improvement. minniemouse.gif pinkpanther.gif

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Mar 10 09, 06:45
Post #14

Greek

Hi John,

It's good to hear from you! Thank you so much for your comments!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: