post Aug 9 03, 17:37
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

A Limerick is a popular form of short, humorous verse, often nonsensical and frequently ribald. It consists of five lines, rhyming aabba, and the dominant meter is anapestic (a metrical foot composed of two short syllables followed by one long one, as in the word seventeen. 2. A line of verse using this meter; for example, “’Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house”), with two feet in the third and fourth lines and three feet in the others. Examples of limerick:

"The limerick packs laughs anatomical
into space that is quite economical,
But the good ones I’ve seen
so seldom are clean
and the clean ones so seldom are comical."

"There once was a young man from Kew
who found a dead mouse in his stew.  
Said the waiter, “Don’t shout  
or wave it about,  
or the rest will be wanting one too!”

"There was an old man from Peru,
who dreamed he was eating his shoe.
He woke in a fright
in the middle of the night
and found it was perfectly true."

The origin of the term is obscure, but a group of poets in Co. Limerick, Ireland, wrote limericks in Irish in the 18th cent. The first collections in English date from c.1820. Among the most famous are those in E. Lear's Book of Nonsense (1846).

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
169 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 03, 18:42
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Daniel! :)

Create with ideas you have thought;
that writer's block; you will have fought.  
New rhythm is calling!
Though words you'll be mauling,
you'll paint what your mind's image caught.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 13 03, 06:08
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I know not to write when I'm tired,
it's been far too long, now I'm wired.
I've lost it, the beat?
I'm spraining... my feet!
That great lesson's got me inspired!

*A reply to Daniel on teaching me limerick at another site.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Sep 13 03, 02:53
Post #4

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

There was a postman called Wally
Who went to work on a trolley.
He'd ring and he'd ding
Then letters he'd fling
To passing bystanders, by golly.

The tram was double nine one
Or post truck nine double none
To passengers and tram run
Nine double nine one,
And for Wally a sackful of fun.

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Sep 15 03, 23:27
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Remember this one, LorII?

Feet-Shuffling

Do cross-overs make you perturbed?
Your rhythm was somewhat disturbed.
But IF you don’t like it,
I’ll just take a hike; it
is fine for my tongue to be curbed!

© Daniel J Ricketts 19 Nov 2002

. . . or this one?

Limerick Lesson for LorII

uh ONE-2-3; ONE-2-3; KICK it!
uh ONE-2-3; ONE [That’s the TICKet!]
then ONE-2-3; ONE
and ONE-2-3; ONE
then ONE-2-3; ONE [See, you’ll LICK it!]

© Daniel J Ricketts 26 Nov 2002

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 16 03, 04:54
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Sep. 16 2003, 00:27)
Remember this one, LorII?

Feet-Shuffling

Do cross-overs make you perturbed?
Your rhythm was somewhat disturbed.
But IF you don’t like it,
I’ll just take a hike; it
is fine for my tongue to be curbed!

© Daniel J Ricketts 19 Nov 2002

. . . or this one?

then ONE-2-3; ONE
and ONE-2-3; ONE

Tee hee!

Don't remember the first one , but I DO so remember the second!
For anyone who doesn't know -

then ONE-2-3; ONE
and ONE-2-3; ONE

The CAPPED words are the STRESSES.....

A very helpful lesson Daniel! Balloons.gif

Cheers!
~Cleo  :dance:   Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 10 03, 08:05
Post #7

laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Touche!

But we have only just met. You professed not to speak the sacred tongue of Druids and Bards.
And I never say yes to comparitive strangers, particularly when they listen to the BBC a lot.  I've met quite a few of those people personally.

They are all (darkly)  luvvies

A

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 11 03, 08:55
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Sillies!  :jester:

Sticking my two cents in here to say, the banter's gone beyond.....

We certainly do NOT intend to poke fun of anyone here personally...so everyone - do not take this thread personally!

There....I feel better now....

Limerick anyone?

Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 03, 05:56
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

An alien ate me fer dinner,
but somehow the act made him thinner.
Seems he couldn’t keep down
the thought of this clown;
though I alienate, I’m the winner!

© Daniel J Ricketts 16 Oct 2003

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 16 03, 06:36
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Oct. 16 2003, 06:56)

HAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I LOVE this one Daniel!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I'll have to write something!  :dunce:  :pumpkin:  :lovie:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Athena
post Oct 16 03, 18:01
Post #11

Egyptian

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Oct. 16 2003, 03:56)

Yes, yes, Daniel!

This is a perfect example of a limerick!  Of course, your stressed words are correct, but also the subject and humorous attitude of the poem match the parameters of what a limerick is about.  We know that some of the more riskee' forms would not be suitable in this public forum, but you've written this one with just enough of something distasteful that it's poifecto!     Juggle.gif

Thanks so much, Dear Daniel,

Dolly  
Pharoah.gif

Guest__*
post Oct 16 03, 18:16
Post #12

Time to reflect dear Just.

Dear Daniel this rhyme is distasteful
Your usage of words is so wasteful
I’m sure you will find
That this isn’t refined
And it seems that you wrote it in hasteful

A.

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 17 03, 08:34
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Today is a day we are mourning,
our RED SOX have lost in a storming
ball game of bad luck
The curse - it has STUCK!
Oh well....we can't say there's a warning!

I know - kinda LAME ending... Wall.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 17 03, 10:50
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

“I Don’t Give a Ducat!”

The Limerick Cops here may buck it.
I'll hand them a lemon, "Go suck it!
Already your face
is quite a disgrace.
You tell me I can't? I'll just duck it!"
© Daniel J Ricketts 29 Jan 2003

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 17 03, 11:06
Post #15

I hope you folks don't mind a newbie sticking his nose in here, though some of you know me from a different site under a different name.

I just couldn't resist the urge to get Daniel worked up.

A Lamerick

Atlantis, to you, though vredfreak there.
My poetry sucks, not even fair.
The meter’s way off.
Daniel’s gonna scoff,
To tell it truthfully, I don’t care.

Just having a little fun with ya, Daniel. Jester.gif

Atlantis

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 17 03, 12:53
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Atlantis @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:06)
I hope you folks don't mind a newbie sticking his nose in here, though some of you know me from a different site under a different name.

A Lamerick

The meter’s way off.
Daniel’s gonna scoff,

Atlantis

Hehehehahahahahahha! LOL.gif

Hi Dan!  :jester:

So glad you have joined us!

WELCOME TO THE MOSAIC! Balloons.gif

Cheers!

We look forward to stirring your MUSE my friend!  :lovie:  :sun:

~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 17 03, 13:26
Post #17

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:53)
QUOTE (Atlantis @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:06)

A Lamerick

The meter’s way off.
Daniel’s gonna scoff,

Atlantis

Hehehehahahahahahha! LOL.gif

Hi Dan!  Jester.gif

So glad you have joined us!

WELCOME TO THE MOSAIC! Balloons.gif

Cheers!

We look forward to stirring your MUSE my friend!  lovie.gif  sun.gif

~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

My Contribution

Away from my friends, what a bummer! ???
Miss Cleo was missed all the summer. sun.gif
Can I please, please stay;
Atlantis please play? Guitar.gif
I promise to make all us dumber. farmer.gif  Wall.gif

Hey Lori,

Thanks for the invite, though I'm very unfashionably late.  It's great to see you doing so well, with some of our other friends running around as well.

My "MUSE" is unamused at my musings.
"But to tell it truthfully, I don't care."

Best wishes and good luck with your site,

Dan

Guest__*
post Oct 17 03, 14:36
Post #18

It's great that you've joined us Dan
You seem like a very nice man
To tell the truth, Daniel
's a bit of a spaniel
But we all do the best that we can.

Sorry Just.  :costume:
Anything for a rhyme.

A

Guest__*
post Oct 17 03, 16:32
Post #19

QUOTE (AkhenhatenII @ Oct. 17 2003, 14:36)
It's great that you've joined us Dan
You seem like a very nice man
To tell the truth, Daniel
's a bit of a spaniel
But we all do the best that we can.

Sorry Just.  :costume:
Anything for a rhyme.

A

Inhibited goofiness weakens
the wheels (of the mind) at their squeakin'.
I jest for the fun,
but never have won,
cause Daniel's The Jester's main deacon.

Thanks for the warm welcome, A.  I'm glad I could join in.
For some reason, I never seem to win these little games with Daniel.  But it's still fun to play. grinning.gif

Dan

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 17 03, 17:04
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Dan!  :pharoah:

Away from my friends, what a bummer!  
Miss Cleo was missed all the summer.  
Can I please, please stay;
Atlantis please play?  
I promise to make all us dumber.  

Awwwww - thankies!  :blush21:  :sun:

Of COURSE you can stay!
This is a great group of folks here who all want to learn and grow.

Pleae check out the challenges I KNOW you love in "Pandora's Box" forum!  :dance:  :pumpkin:

Thank you for the well wishes! Everyone keeps saying to 'Just be patient Cleo!'

I think we're on a roll and hope you'll find the Mosaic your new board to post and banter!

Stay tuned for a new look!

Hugs!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

169 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:53

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: