Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all.

Due to recent issues with our host, we are planning to change to another host in the next few days.

This will require us to take MM down during the change process for an hour or so. We will plan the change during our lowest traffic time in early morning EST.

We're sorry to inconvenience you, but we expect the change to make the site more stable, and we will NOT fool around when the host doesn't respond to our needs in a timely manner.

Stay tuned all. We'll send another PM and also update this thread I'll post in the Cuneiform Chronicles forum as well.

Thank you!

~Lori aka Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 5 04, 20:26
Post #2

Thanks Lori / Peter.

This is the first time I've been able to get on here in 24 hours (though it may have been working whilst I was elsewhere). Off to bed now. Seems like your  web-hosting firm is letting you down badly. Is it their fault or are severes in general in trouble? I see Ikonboard have their own hosting firm - would that be any use?

Cheers, James.

P.S. I believe that you were interested in buying a small boat - I've seen a second-hand one - looks quite nice. Let me know if you're still in the market.
:pharoah2

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 6 04, 06:12
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

LOL! No it's our host - they have connectivity issues. Peter has given them some insight on what needs to be fixed (being a network engineer), BUT they don't want to to listen to their customers. So, we are going elsewhere.....

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Imhotep
post Jan 6 04, 15:38
Post #4

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

Member No.: 14
Writer of: Newbie to Writing
Referred By:Lori

Greetings,

If you are seeing this message you are now connecting to the new server.  Hopefully this will resolve the issues we'd been having.

Apologies again for the inconvenience,

Imhotep    :tut:

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 6 04, 16:55
Post #5

Peter,

Good evening (afternoon to you).

Thank you for your hard work.

I can now actually access MM again... good show!

I must say that this new server is faster, cleaner and tastes much better than the previous one. Also, it has a great Lemon scent and looks tremendous. Well, ok I exaggerate somewhat but it does seem very fast and smooth. You didn't sneak a broadband connection into my study did you?

Cheers, james.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 6 04, 17:15
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Whippeeee! dance.gif
A side note: If you had topic trackers in place on the old server, those OLD links you had gotten in your email account prior to about 3:30 PM today EST will not work. However, all NEW postings to those topics should have the correct links in them now.

Cheers!
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Imhotep
post Jan 6 04, 17:39
Post #7

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

Greetings,

Thanks - it wasn't as hard as it could have been.  It's just unfortunate that we were forced to relocate the site because Jarvis was unable/unwilling to acknowledge/diagnose properly what was going on...  Which is sad, because Jarvis was our previous host (the 'hosting' link from Ikonboard's homepage)...  

Oh well, onward and upward.  We'll see how this site is.

Take care!
I

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 6 04, 18:05
Post #8

Peter,

Now, I'm very curious and about to be a pest (as usual)

If you can briefly (to save you time) say what the problem was I'd be interested. Moreover, why would IKB's "own" host not understand - don't they deal with this sort of thing on a regular basis? Do you know how the volume of traffic on MM compares to their usual clients?

This is certainly much faster than I ever remember MM - but, then again, I've tweaked my PC today so I can't isolate the variable. (Nevertheless, the Net is usually the slowest aspect of the whole chain - at least when I've not got ten windows open and one is doing 3d rotations).

Thanks again.

James.

Imhotep
post Jan 6 04, 18:12
Post #9

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

Well, Jarvis is connected to (more than one?) ustream provider for redundancy.  What they told me is that late Sunday one of their connections started going up and down because the upstream provider had equipment issues.  They told me that was fixed yesterday morning, but I still couldn't successfully load the forum reliably.  They told me that they could, but I tend to question their methodology.  I could get at the static pages, but anything that required CGI was just broken, and they wouldn't admit/pay attention to the issue I was reporting.  I've had other rundowns with their '24x7' support not being all it's cracked up to be too, so in the end it was just easier to go elsewhere.

I could get into the technical details on MTU, packet size, BGP, redundant links, MBTF on routers and stuff, but I'd put everyone to sleep wink.gif

·······IPB·······

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 6 04, 19:12
Post #10

Peter,

Thanks, no that was interesting - so it was simply (an old-fashioned) very poor customer service in the end. You're right, it doesn't matter how much connectivity a webhost has to the backbone - if they cannot manage it (or don't care) it's no use.

Cheers, James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:16

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: