post Sep 4 05, 06:58
Post #21

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

There is a BUG in the AURORA skin with this forum rules link change that I am working. I am going to look at the other skins right now to see if this error exists in any of them too.

In the meantime - please go to your control panel and change your board skin to "HomeSkin" until I can fix the issue.

Stay tuned!
Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 4 05, 07:09
Post #22

Reporting: From the new nav page being developed, both poetry forums are accessible using Vile Blue. J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 4 05, 07:44
Post #23

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

All skins are fine now with this newest change to hide the text of forum rules and replace it with a link instead.

Great idea! TY James and Nina! cheer.gif

~Cleo cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 4 05, 08:14
Post #24

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi all.

I've made a few tweaks to this alternative page for your review.

Click here to view

Thanks!
~Cleo Couch.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Sep 4 05, 15:01
Post #25

I am not going to be much real help.

First question is what improvement is being sought?  

I strongly disagree with levels of novice/expert display.  Typical problem is repeated assurance the operator wants what they think is being asked for. Helpful for novice but a drag for experienced.  It has to be an upfront tradeoff of how many times you can ask "are you sure" without insulting intelligence.  Access to go back is a powerful expedient.

Verbose is taboo.  Insert lots of links to provide acess to rules, tricks, and boilerplate placed outside of mainstream.

Avoid clutter and extraneous crap.

I think navigation tends to be ponderous, but the fact is the oceans being navigated may require it.  Do we want page notes, footnotes, endnote, or no notes?  

Maybe simply growing up with MM has made my navigation satisfactory.  This is an adult site rather than a mindless entertainment channel.  I honestly believe MM displays are more tasteful than most. They also lead to where we want to go.  Again the question is what improvement is being sought?

An MSN homepage is an example of poor taste packaging of extraneous crap.  Do we want MM to look like another junkyard?

Don

Arnfinn
post Sep 5 05, 01:42
Post #26

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Hi

Don has a few strong views on the subject, which is what we want. I dont think the new page is over the top (my thoughts). For me, the whole idea is to attract a few more people whose interests are directed towards the literary arts. Not looking for a lot of new members of course. I think also that MM should be a good place for those new to poetry who like what they see when they arrive at the site. I wouldn't like to think that this site had standards set that discouraged the newcomer if such standards were not met.

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 5 05, 06:12
Post #27

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Don and John (Arnie).  wave.gif

Don - Glad to see you again posting! Hope you are feeling better soon!  cheer.gif

The idea for this started many months ago. I'm guessing here that some (more international) visitors are not 'used to' a categorized forum board layout as I have set up on MM. I told those who inquired that I could not really change the actual Ikonboard but perhaps we could have an alternative?

A few had mentioned 'less words' and perhaps some simple image links into the popular forums on MM. I then created the Graphical Forum Index (June) after the survey results came in. You can view this here.

Do you remember the original MM? At start up, I didn't have the following 'category design' on the start page. Instead, I had every forum listed out one by one on the start page. It was so INTIMIDATING! We've ADDED more forums since then too. We now have a total of 56 forums within MM.

These are named as:
[*]Pericle's Preambles (General Site Information)
[*]Mount Olympus (Challenges of God-like Proportions)
[*]Poseidon's Poetry (Poetry forums here)
[*]Pompeii's Prose (Prose forums here)
[*]Atum's Annex (Miscellany)
[*]Mosaic Marketplace (Store and ECards)
[*]The Gilgamesh Gallery (Images to Muse Over)
[*]Ming Tombs (For Members Only)
[*]Mosaic Member Showcase (NEW)

I've never been to ANY other forum board where the layout was not similar. Forums are what they are.  kitty.gif

In any event, at this time, I'm not planning to change the forums URL start page so if you use forums.mosaicmusings.net it will still come here. What I've done is add two alternative viewing pages (the graphical index and the new one I designed Saturday) - which I mention just underneath the LOGO now in Bold Red font on each forum skin.

A couple of other ideas I might do today:
[*]Re-arrange the categories so the Poetry and Prose ones are first & second (really for newbies and guests to MM).
[*]We were thinking of adding a new forum (I would actually re-use Angkor Watt Accolades - move the current posts to Plato's Pearls and then re-describe it as a place for newbies to post) specifically for guests or newbies to MM - where they can post to get their feet wet and we would offer a lighter touch. I would make this one the first category in that case. There are some concerns on my part: What would prevent the guest from just joining up immediately? I don't want the staff to end up having to moderate a guest forum with all their time. Would other members comment if a newbie or guest posted there? How quickly can we move posts if they speak to items we discourage in our Terms of Use policy?
[*]Email the in-active members to welcome them back.

Cheers!
~Cleo  cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 5 05, 06:38
Post #28

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi all. wave.gif

I've moved all 104 posts (and their replies) from Ankgor Watt Accolades into Plato's Pearls of Wisdom, and added 'seasonal' to Plato's description blurb. I've also put a comment in AWA that the forum might be used for guest/newbie interactions and will be moved elsewhere and have allowed all member groups (guests included) to read, start and reply to topics in that forum in advance of moving it to a new category.

I have also made a few changes to our home page at www.mosaicmusings.net. I've eliminated the sidebar scoller and replaced it with an image (so it's not so off-putting). I've also moved the 'staff' menu to the 'Company' heading and added an advert about Odin's Opposition right on the start page under the "Welcome to MM" message. I also added teh alternative index links to several 'menus' as well.

Stay tuned!
~Cleo  footballhelmet.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 5 05, 07:50
Post #29

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi everyone. sings.gif

As you like it:

I've re-arranged the categories and added a new one for New Members (which I'll detail later in this tile).

Now, you will see the following categories at the forum start page:
[*]New Member Palace (NEW)

I've re-used the forum: 'Ankgor Watt Accolades' for the Newbies to MM. All links to each category and forum remain the same, but I will be re-formatting the Site Map so it is in order with this new shuffling.

A few words about this new forum:
It is designed for NEWBIES Newbie.gif to MM who may not be confident in where to begin posting. We would like see them perhaps introduce theirselves to MM, ask questions, post their works for our 'tender touch' with the intention of simply getting their feet wet. Guests can also read, reply and start topics in this forum. If we should deem posts inappropriate (based on our TOU), they will be moved into "Ra's Renderings" (the post only, not our feedback) which is accessed by our mentors, with a comment attached - Content not appropriate at MM.

We do not expect existing members to post new topics, but we DO encourage you to REPLY to any threads that are posted to assist in welcoming the newbies (or guests) to MM while they settle in. Thank you Arnfinn (John) for asking about this and to Nina, Jox and Toumai (among others) for your ideas.

We will need to determine at what point the newbies should stop posting in this forum and start posting in the appropriate forums e.g. Herme's, Stonehenge, Plato's Pearls as we get there.

Thanks all!
~Cleo GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Sep 5 05, 11:55
Post #30

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Sep. 05 2005, 07:12)
Hi Don and John (Arnie).  wave.gif

Don - Glad to see you again posting! Hope you are feeling better soon!  cheer.gif

The idea for this started many months ago. I'm guessing here that some (more international) visitors are not 'used to' a categorized forum board layout as I have set up on MM. I told those who inquired that I could not really change the actual Ikonboard but perhaps we could have an alternative?

A few had mentioned 'less words' and perhaps some simple image links into the popular forums on MM. I then created the Graphical Forum Index (June) after the survey results came in. You can view this here.

Do you remember the original MM? At start up, I didn't have the following 'category design' on the start page. Instead, I had every forum listed out one by one on the start page. It was so INTIMIDATING! We've ADDED more forums since then too. We now have a total of 56 forums within MM.

These are named as:

I've never been to ANY other forum board where the layout was not similar. Forums are what they are.  kitty.gif

In any event, at this time, I'm not planning to change the forums URL start page so if you use forums.mosaicmusings.net it will still come here. What I've done is add two alternative viewing pages (the graphical index and the new one I designed Saturday) - which I mention just underneath the LOGO now in Bold Red font on each forum skin.

A couple of other ideas I might do today:
[*]Re-arrange the categories so the Poetry and Prose ones are first & second (really for newbies and guests to MM).
[*]We were thinking of adding a new forum (I would actually re-use Angkor Watt Accolades - move the current posts to Plato's Pearls and then re-describe it as a place for newbies to post) specifically for guests or newbies to MM - where they can post to get their feet wet and we would offer a lighter touch. I would make this one the first category in that case. There are some concerns on my part: What would prevent the guest from just joining up immediately? I don't want the staff to end up having to moderate a guest forum with all their time. Would other members comment if a newbie or guest posted there? How quickly can we move posts if they speak to items we discourage in our Terms of Use policy?
[*]Email the in-active members to welcome them back.

Cheers!
~Cleo  cheer.gif

Thanks for the catchup, which is essential.

Despite areas of the world unfamiliar with current MM layout, is it seriously detrimental?

I think I see now the purpose for alternate menu(s). Blame it on comfort of familiarity, but I liked the alternate less.

The undercurrent bubbling to surface is concern over membership management. How do we attract and maintain it.  Many mentions are noticed about recovering former members. Second guessing of changes and establishiment of copyright details enters the picture. Is this truely an issue?

The novice category concerns me.  This is similar to multiple tiles with differing degrees and levels of critique.  A self-defeating attitude.  Everyone comments on their own guestimate scale, and those too harsh or too back-slapping become known.

Would I as a novice be attracted to special consideration with less than full membership?  All ages and talents need each other.

It is also true that publishers are successful dividing their readership into age and ecucational level blocks. Are we sophisticated enough to try this?

My gut feel  is that a patient gardener achieves more than a masterplanner.

I may have more to add as more info unfolds.

Thanks for bumping along with this babble.

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 5 05, 12:32
Post #31

Hi Don,

Great to see you! Hope you're feeling a tad better?

Just a couple of points...

1. I would hope that a newcomers' forum - if we create one - would be optional. They could post in any other forum, if they prefer. If, however, it is a guests' forum then they will have to be restricted there.

2. Would I be right in thinking you fear "dumbing-down"? If so, I'd be with you in opposing that. However, I can't see that more attractive, easier navigation - enabling people to reach the posts they wish to quicker and easier is any quality reduction. As Lori says, members who prefer the existing approach will still be able to use it.

3. We live in a visual media age. Obviously, as writers, we appreciate the words. But I read thousands of words on MM weekly - posted creative writing - do I really want to read tedious navigation and rubric? I'm used to navigating through sites using my mouse (tracker ball to be precise) and images. Words get in the way. It is like driving, some direction signs have to be worded but most road signs are pictures - for ease and speed.

Hope that makes some sense?

Best wishes and great to see you, again.

J.

Guest_Don_*
post Sep 5 05, 13:21
Post #32

Thanks Jox,

Your explanations hint at more than I saw.  The navigation has always been mouse, trackball, or pointer driven.  We agree text driven navigation went with DOS and similar windowless operation systems.

Don

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 13:34

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: