Post #1

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Focus

Three young men who bred cattle in France
Chose a name for their place, not by chance.
So as not to confuse,
A small pun they did use;
Which explained everything at a glance

L5 did read: For they felt it explained at a glance

*footnote removed - If you need an explanation, look at Mark's post!

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Marc-Andre Germa...
post Jun 11 09, 11:49
Post #2

Assyrian

Member No.: 784
Writer of: Poetry

Larry,

I'm afraid that this didn't make it for me; I wonder how many readers will get it without the footnote..

Also, this is a limerick, not a haiku. On the positive side, the limerick is technically well-written.

Mark

QUOTE (Larry @ Jun 11 09, 22:57 ) *
Focus

So as not to confuse,
For they felt it explained at a glance

------------------------------------------------------

For those who still need an explanation; Focus = “Where the Sun’s rays meet” or “Where the sons raise meat”!

·······IPB·······

Larry
post Jun 11 09, 15:02
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Hi Mark,

Yes, I know it is a Limerick and not a Haiku. Bad "cut and paste" job. I had a number of Haiku and Limericks I was working on in MS Word and failed to see where I was cutting from when I posted this one.

I have a book of about 120 or so Haiku which has all but gone to press here at MM and will, eventually, be available in the Book Store.

I could edit the explanation and let people guess. Might be more fun to see how many say, "Huh?".

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Jun 11 09, 17:49
Post #4

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Larry,

I'm afraid this is too complex for me! I believe poems should be able to stand on their own without footnotes. This doesn't seem clear enough without the footnote. Also, the two short lines are 6 syllables each. I'm almost positive a limerick should be

I've taken the liberty of shortening the needed lines by 1 syllable each
and changed "chance" to "romance."

Focus ( Your version)

So as not to confuse,
For they felt it explained at a glance

Focus (My suggested version)

So not to confuse, 5
A small pun they used, 5
For they felt it explained cow romance. (Thought you might consider "romance.")

Of course you're the poet, so use or lose.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Marc-Andre Germa...
post Jun 11 09, 19:42
Post #5

Assyrian

Peggy,

In accentual-syllabic poetry, we count by metrical feet rather than by syllables only. The limerick starts with two anapestic trimeters, i.e three feet of a-na-PEST, two anapestic dimeters, i.e. two feet of a-na-PEST and ends with an anapestic trimeter. The pattern is thus

xxX/xxX/xxX/
xxX/xxX/xxX/
xxX/xxX/
xxX/xxX/
xxX/xxX/xxX/

That said, iambic substitutions ( i-AMB) are common, especially in the initial foot, and sometimes in the dimeter lines. Your version would still be acceptable, but Larry's is purest in form.

There are three main metrical systems:
- syllabic: counts the number of syllables, that is the system used in unstressed languages, like French;
- accentual: counts the stressed beats regardless of syllable count;
- accentual-syllabic: the formal English meter, metrical feet composed of stressed and unstressed beats. The four commonest ones are the iamb ( xX ), the trochee ( Xx ), the anapest ( xxX ) and the dactyl ( Xxx ). Then you count the number of feet per line to get: monometer, dimeter, trimeter, tetrameter, pentameter, hexameter, heptameter ( this line length is known as "fourteeners") and octometer.

If this is still confusing, let me know and I'll come back with clear examples for each.

I hope this helps,

Mark

·······IPB·······

Maggie
post Jun 11 09, 19:54
Post #6

Greek

Hi,

Thanks for the review!!! Sometimes I'm just too lazy to do the appropriate review and study. Thanks! I know you can't tell it, but I'm a retired English teacher and have done my fair share of teaching Shakespeare's tragedies. I'm a novice at writing poetry and, as it is obvious, I'm still learning. Sorry if I steered anyone wrong!!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Larry
post Jun 12 09, 00:53
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Hello Peggy & Hi again Mark,

Peggy, I appreciate your suggestions but if I used them, the Limerick would no longer retain its meter and the Pun wouldn't make any sense. I am sure that during "cow romance" the bull is focused on the cow but that does not comprise any part of the intended triple pun. The whole thing was written in jest; sort of a wry esoterical exercise in triple-entendre form. Most puns are not "clear" in their meaning and triple puns are even less so. Pardon the confusion.

Mark, thanks again for the verbal thumbs-up. I must admit the explanation you posted is the most precise and thorough explanation of the different forms, styles, metrics, etc. that I have encountered and in such a concise manner. I was not familiar with a lot of the terminology utilized in formal poetic circles before I came to MM but have been delighted to learn much more than I ever did in school from my association with this site. Your explaination gives me a lot of interesting ideas for new and different ways to express myself poetically. Thank you very much for the free education. I am going to cut and paste the technical part of your post for future reference purposes.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Marc-Andre Germa...
post Jun 12 09, 04:49
Post #8

Assyrian

Peggy, I love Shakespeare, I think we'll have interesting exchanges in the future JackBox.gif

QUOTE (Larry @ Jun 12 09, 12:53 ) *
Thank you very much for the free education.

You're welcome Larry. I'm here to learn and share. Any question, just ask.

Mark

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 12 09, 07:52
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Larry et al,

I tend to favor Accentual-syllabic patterns - usualy in tetrameter. I think its often safer when a novice counts syllables, then we can build on the educational aspects of metrical differences. cheer.gif

Larry, what a fun limerick! Jester.gif I'm not convinced though there isn't another more informative title out there waiting to be used here, lol?

So as not to confuse,
For they felt it explained at a glance.

I suggest a small edit in the closing line:
Explanatations were found, at a glance.

Enjoyed!
~Cleo Cowboy.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Jun 12 09, 10:28
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Hi Lori,

Larry, what a fun limerick! I'm not convinced though there isn't another more informative title out there waiting to be used here, lol?

The title is the punch line of the triple pun!

Focus is where the Sun's rays meet and it is also where the Sons raise meat. If you can think of a more descriptive and inclusive title, please let me know.

I will take a part of your suggestion and rearrange the sentence for the last line though. Thanks for the crit.

Which explained everything at a glance.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Jun 12 09, 11:55
Post #11

Greek

Hi Larry,

Finally I get the puns! I think your puns will be lost on many. I just checked the dictionary and found a myraid of definitions for focus.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 17:39

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: