post Mar 10 10, 14:26
Post #2

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 457
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Mistral

Hi James,

Somehow responses are slow in this forum. I had one here for over a month with no comment so eventually dumped it.

Back to the poem; I am not an expert on tanka philosophy or construction so had to research a little. Here is what I found at Japanese Poetry Patterns //thewordshop.tripod.com/asian/Japan/tankadef.html

"The classical tanka contains 31 onji (sound-symbols, the smallest linguistic unit in Japanese poetry). Early translators, assuming that onji correspond to English syllables (they do not), decided that the English equivalent would be a poem of 31 syllables divided into 5 lines of 5-7-5-7-7 syllables. This syllable requirement is still very popular in English tanka, although frequent variations occur. Since we tend to think in accentual-syllabic terms, 5 lines containing 2-3-2-3-3 beats, respectively (regardless of the number of unaccented syllables), is probably closer to the original Japanese intent. However, for teaching purposes, the 31 syllable format is a reliable benchmark, so it is convenient to employ it to begin."

So it appears your poem fits the original English tradition. Tanka, it seems can be rather complicated and employ various poetic devices such as alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia and occasional repetition.

What I see are four coupled statements developing a thought or concept and a conclusion.

love pleads that you die…
not from ignorance of heart
but deceit of heart
through selfishness, fear and doubt:
divine love, favors the brave

The conclusion does not quite fit the build up so I was left a little bewildered since bravery has nothing to do with deceit. Also, the opening statement is emotionally flawed for obvious reasons and tanka traditionally deal with highly emotional issues. Not sure about the punctuation but for me it must be all or nothing. Lower case sentence starts look like mistakes when coupled with mid-line caesuras.

That is my amateur comment for what it is worth James, certainly a fine attempt and better than anything I could put together. Technically well written but perhaps requiring some fine tuning.

Thanks for sharing,

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
hellfire
post Mar 11 10, 07:53
Post #3

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 798
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:poppy

thanks wally

appreciate your comments and suggestions.i will look at improving the piece asap

cheers

hellfire

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:35

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: