post Apr 6 11, 19:01
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Due to a suggestion from a friend, I have changed the title -- Sirius being the Dog Star

I won Odin's 2009 with this one, but I'm wondering of there is anything else I could do to it. I'm not keen on lines 4 & 5 both beginning with 'to'. Any suggestions appreciated.

In this revision I have cut the number of I's from 8 to 5 and your's from 9 to 4

Sirius Shines On

My scented candle flickered through the gloom
to usher me. I knelt beside you, plumped
soft pillows underneath your head, then slumped
as lavender aroma filled the room.

With duvet spread across a dozing frame,
old eyelids fluttered when I gently stroked
your freckled face. I tried to speak, but choked
on my farewell and sputtered out your name.

Fond reminiscences of youthful days --
a life aglow with energetic zest;
effulgence dimmed to soothe your soul to rest.
My goodbye kiss was whispered through a haze

of biting sorrow, for your spark had gone,
a burnt out form remained. I blazed with grief.
New light appeared as tears gave some relief.
Outside an avian chorus welcomed dawn.

In dreams you scamper though the fields, my star
you dazzle still. Remembering that night
I feel the poignancy of loss ignite,
yet sense your cherished essence from afar.
-------------------------------------------------

St1,L1 was - My scented candle flared across the gloom

St2,L2 was - old eyelids flickered when I gently stroked

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you Larry & Lori for your input on this. The more I look closely at this I find more problems.
Larry noticed there were a number of I's (8 altogether)
I noticed a number of your's - and Lori noticed them too. (9 altogether - 10 including you're in last st.)

I have also mentioned candle 4 times, headtwice and waned/waningtwice.

I've shown the repeats in red in the poem.

I am now rewriting certain parts of this to eliminate as many of the repeated words as possible. Watch this space LOL!

Heaven’s Kennel

I knelt beside you while the candle flared
and plumped a pillow underneath your head,
then rearranged your comfort blanket, spread
to warm your waning flame. I was prepared
to say farewell, when light grew faint. Your eyes
were closed in sleep, but flickered when I stroked
your weary head. I tried to speak, but choked
on sputtered words, awaiting your demise.

I kindled memories of youthful days --
our lives aglow with energetic zest.
The candle dimmed to soothe your soul to rest.
I said Goodbye and kissed you through a haze
of biting sorrow, for your spark had gone.
Your burnt out form remained; I blazed with grief.
The candle waned as tears gave some relief.
Outside the birds began to welcome dawn.

In Heaven’s Kennel you’re a dazzling star;
each year I reminisce by candle light
and feel the poignancy of loss ignite,
yet sense your shining essence from afar.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 7 11, 12:59
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Snow, wave.gif

O I luv this one! gromit.gif

I'll come back to this as soon as I can to offer commentary for you.

Take care,
~Cleo odie.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Apr 7 11, 15:13
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Snow,

I still remember this one fondly because our tri-color sheltie died about a year before you posted it. To remember still brings pain and sadness.

As with anything written in first person singular, one notices the proponderance of "I's" and that will sometimes detract from or lessen the effectiveness of a very good poem. Your repetitive "to" in L4/5 is not that big a deal but if you want suggestions for a small change, you might try:

to warm your waning flame. I was prepared,
farewells yet said, when light grew faint. Your eyes

or

then rearranged your comfort blanket, spread
for warming waning flame. I was prepared

Now to the "I's". You might try to use some present participles to replace a few of them or sub in other words where possible.

S1L1
Kneeling beside you while the candle flared
S2L1/2
Those kindled memories of youthful days --
kept lives aglow with energetic zest.

You get the idea. As always, TOT but I would like to say thanks for the reminiscent tears shed for my "Baby Bug" while reading this one more time.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 14 11, 15:45
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry

I think this one holds meaning for any one who has lost a pet. I wrote it after my beautiful Border Collie died 9 years ago and I seem to come back every year and make a few changes. Pets are family and are greatly missed.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I agree that the 'to's' beginning those adjacent lines are probably no big deal and I'm thinking on that.

I had not realised the number of 'I's' I had writtem and when I looked there are also a number of 'your's' too. I really would like to get rid of some of these and when I have time I'll come back to this and give it my concentration.

I am so glad to have your help.
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 25 11, 11:55
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Snow,

Just a quick observation for now - I noticed the abundance of describing your dog with 'your' - I wonder if you'd be keen on replacing some of them?

Also a suggestion for L5/L6:
for fond farewells when light grew faint.

Maybe change L5 – replace your with something else -also you don’t need those commas after farewell in L5, sleep in L6 and speak in L7.

Sorry - got to run for now.

Be back soon!
~Lori

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 27 11, 14:28
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Lori - It's so good to see you here with your thoughts. I had noticed the number of your's and welcomed your suggestions. However, there are lots of repeated words that I need to work on. Hope to see you here again soon.

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 1 11, 14:18
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

A revision - have managed to cut back on I's and your's. Commets welcome.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

jerryk
post May 15 11, 19:05
Post #8

Egyptian

Member No.: 4,480

Hi Eisa;
it's difficult for a narrator NOT to use those pronouns that seemingly want to flow from the pen-- I like your revision--not to mention the subject matter. I've always imagined that there would be a heaven for all our deceased pets, and I wish it were so. We had to put our cat Boots to sleep and his ashes remain with us. We still have three dogs and 3 cats; birds as well. All have their lovable personalities that endear them to us. Your tender farewell to a beloved pet is heart tucking. Take care. charliebrown.gif

Jerry

Eisa
post May 16 11, 07:36
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (jerryk @ May 16 11, 01:05 ) *
Hi Eisa;
it's difficult for a narrator NOT to use those pronouns that seemingly want to flow from the pen-- I like your revision--not to mention the subject matter. I've always imagined that there would be a heaven for all our deceased pets, and I wish it were so. We had to put our cat Boots to sleep and his ashes remain with us. We still have three dogs and 3 cats; birds as well. All have their lovable personalities that endear them to us. Your tender farewell to a beloved pet is heart tucking. Take care. charliebrown.gif

Jerry

Yes Jerry, I have found it very difficult not to use those pronouns. I'm glad you like the revision. I have just made a small change to the last stanza.

I've always been an animal lover as I see you are too. My latest pets are Leopard gecko lizards and cornsnakes. (most people cringe at the thought LOL!) These too - all have personalities though.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post May 16 11, 09:19
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Hi Snow,

Love the revision even though it is still a painful read which pricks old memories.

I've only one small suggestion and it pertains to S4. Each line is end-stopped and you begin L2 uncapped. That is my only nit and is of little consequence.

Leopard Geckos and Corn Snakes? Can you pet them? LOL

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 17 11, 15:26
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Larry @ May 16 11, 15:19 ) *
Hi Snow,

Love the revision even though it is still a painful read which pricks old memories.

I've only one small suggestion and it pertains to S4. Each line is end-stopped and you begin L2 uncapped. That is my only nit and is of little consequence.

Leopard Geckos and Corn Snakes? Can you pet them? LOL

Larry

Thanks Larry - glad you like the revision. It's brought painful memories back to me too even though 9 years have passed.

In stanza 4 L1 carries over to L2 so 'you' doesn't need a cap.

In dreams you scamper through the fields, my star
you dazzle still.
Remembering that night

Yes, you can pet geckos and cornsnakes, especially if you have them from babies. Mind, they all have different personalities - some more feisty, some very nervous.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post May 17 11, 18:24
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Hello again Snow,

My small crit pertained to S4 - you referred to S5 (calling it Stanza 4) with your return post. The crit is no big deal but check out S4 and you will see what I mean about the end stops and L2 beginning with an uncapped following a period in L1.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 18 11, 07:25
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Larry @ May 18 11, 00:24 ) *
Hello again Snow,

My small crit pertained to S4 - you referred to S5 (calling it Stanza 4) with your return post. The crit is no big deal but check out S4 and you will see what I mean about the end stops and L2 beginning with an uncapped following a period in L1.

Larry

Oops! I have been getting in a muddle! You are right, Larry ... I'm so glad you spotted that. I'll do a bit of punctuation changing now.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post May 18 11, 23:43
Post #14

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Snow,

Oh dear, your poem brings tears to my eyes, thinking only of the last dog I lost. If I go over in my mind the many pets I've had and lost since childhood, I would drown in a pool of my own tears, like Alice...

I think this is a beautiful piece. There's so much love and gentleness in there. And the finale is not too heartbreaking, you finish with a ray of light for one's sorrow. I believe your last S is my favourite, tho' I love the whole poem.

No nits, just one doubt that you or others might clarify. In S1, L2 you say "usher me". I stumbled there, cos even tho' it's a v.t. and you've used "me" as an object, nonetheless common usage would be to "usher me in..." somewhere. I feel as tho' something's missing. Perhaps it's just me. I'm just used to reading "usher in".

The rest flows wonderfully and I've read it several times to relish your skill with words and images.

Hugs, Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Sekhmet
post May 19 11, 09:23
Post #15

Greek

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 754
Referred By:No one at all

This is a fine revision Snow, although for conveying raw emotion I preferred your first version, simply because, 'you/your' and 'I' were the only entities that existed in that lavender scented room.
I have returned, after two readings, because I dissolve each time I read your poem - not possible to crit. Sometimes, honest mourning outweighs everything.
'I blazed with grief' was inspired.
Hugs,
Leo

·······IPB·······

Eisa
post May 27 11, 17:23
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Psyche @ May 19 11, 05:43 ) *

Hi Snow,

Oh dear, your poem brings tears to my eyes, thinking only of the last dog I lost. If I go over in my mind the many pets I've had and lost since childhood, I would drown in a pool of my own tears, like Alice...

I think this is a beautiful piece. There's so much love and gentleness in there. And the finale is not too heartbreaking, you finish with a ray of light for one's sorrow. I believe your last S is my favourite, tho' I love the whole poem.

No nits, just one doubt that you or others might clarify. In S1, L2 you say "usher me". I stumbled there, cos even tho' it's a v.t. and you've used "me" as an object, nonetheless common usage would be to "usher me in..." somewhere. I feel as tho' something's missing. Perhaps it's just me. I'm just used to reading "usher in".

The rest flows wonderfully and I've read it several times to relish your skill with words and images.

Hugs, Syl***

Hi Syl - It's so good to see you here. I'm a bit late answering as I've had a cold and couldn't get my head round anything.

Thanks for your comments. As to the 'usher me' ... I've just looked up in Your Dictionary and it says there that 'usher' is sometimes used with 'in', so I pressume it is sometimes used without 'in'. Unfortunately no-one else has commented on this, so I'll think on it.

Hope to see you again soon.

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 27 11, 17:27
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sekhmet @ May 19 11, 15:23 ) *
This is a fine revision Snow, although for conveying raw emotion I preferred your first version, simply because, 'you/your' and 'I' were the only entities that existed in that lavender scented room.
I have returned, after two readings, because I dissolve each time I read your poem - not possible to crit. Sometimes, honest mourning outweighs everything.
'I blazed with grief' was inspired.
Hugs,
Leo

Hi Leo

Yes -- I suppose the 'I's and 'you's did make this a bit more personal -- but unfortunately, not so poetically acceptable.
Thanks for your comments.
Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post May 28 11, 18:49
Post #18

Eira, This is so wonderfully poignant, I felt the tears form a meniscus waiting to overflow. The only thing that caught my eye was S4 last line I think 'the' could be replaced with 'an', just my thought TOT. I hope that when my dog passes that I can hold it together and that I will find him when I get to the other side.

Take Care
Steve

merle
post May 30 11, 12:32
Post #19

Assyrian

Member No.: 756
Referred By:Winning Writer's web site

Hi Snow -

Much too soon for me to read this as I lost one of my beloved dogs just a few weeks ago and had to give most of the others(13) away due to my husband's illness. Just as I thought I was strong again, this writing broke through my fragile veneer. It's beautiful in it's simplicity and truth. No crits from me just tears.

·······IPB·······

Larry
post May 30 11, 23:59
Post #20

Creative Chieftain

Hi Snow,

I thought this to be a finished product but see that a question has arisen about "usher". It is, as Sylvia notes, surely a v.t. but to add "in" afterwards is merely utilizing a modifier which is an optional grammatical element; with the emphasis on "optional". If "usher", used in this way, were a real problem instead of a precieved one, you might want to sub something like "beckon".

After reading your poem for the nth time, (it took that many times to have a cathartic effect on me which might allay the emotional perspective), I noticed that your first line disturbed me a bit.

My scented candle flared across the gloom

The only reason I mention it is because of the ambiguous connotations of "flared" in this context. Even an "Usher" uses a muted light in a dark theater. I've seen candles do a lot of things (my wife burns them all the time) but never remember one which would "flare across" anything. Maybe "gilmmered through" or "sparkled in"... the gloom.

As always, TOT. I'll still love your poem.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:34

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: