tower blocks.

Decay bleeds through
cheap white emulsion
damning refugees
in graffiti.

Swastikas
prelude madness.

© Toumai, 2005

With many thanks to everyone and especially Grace for suggestions.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 26 05, 15:25
Post #2

Hi Fran

Your poem captures exactly the thoughts that were  my mind yesterday - how refugees are treated very badly in this country, worse than criminals.  My colleague and I were doing a booktalk at a school and one of the books she brought along was Ruby Tanya by Robert Swindells which is all about the treatment and attitudes of asylum seekers.

My only query on your poem is:

tower blocks
condemned
refugee with
graffiti.

I am not sure too what you mean here and I need a bit of clarification please.  Do you mean the tower blocks are condemned or that the graffiti scrawled on the tower blocks condemns the refugees.  If it is the later then I think it would make more sense as:

tower blocks
condemn
refugee with
grafitti.

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 26 05, 16:56
Post #3

Hi Nina,

I was indeed thinking that for some refugees it must feel like going from one hell to another.

tower blocks
condemned
refugee with
graffiti.

I think I was trying to wring as many possibilities out of this as I could, and you have grasped my intent very well: the tower blocks are condemmed, or they have condemmed the refugee to misery and persecution, or your other suggestion that it is the grafiti which condems.  All are valid. But, yes, the wording would be better changed for the third meaning. Hmm ...

Many thanks,
Fran

Guest_JohnK_*
post Jan 26 05, 17:47
Post #4

Fran, I love it.  Stark and spare, it conveys the horror of the subject unequivocally.

I wish I could think of something to suggest, but I can't.  Thank you.

Good night,

John

Cybele
post Jan 27 05, 08:28
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hello Fran, wave.gif

This is a very moving and emotive piece. I have noted the query on the word condemned and your answer that the word is all-embracing.

Decay bleeds through
cheap white emulsion.
Rat-infested
tower blocks
condemned
refugee with
graffiti.
Swastikas
prelude madness.

May I make a tentative suggestion? Perhaps a little re-organisation of the lines. Please ignore if you choose to.

Condemned,
rat infested
tower blocks.
Decay bleeds through
cheap white emulsion.
damning refugees with
graffiti.

Swastikas
prelude madness.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 27 05, 12:05
Post #6

Dear Grace,   rainbow.gif

Of course you make make a suggestion, and it is very useful indeed: making me think. I am still trying to get my head around my original implications - may be a while before I come to any conclusions.   Speechless.gif

Many, many thanks,
Fran

Psyche
post Jan 28 05, 13:28
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE(Toumai @ Jan. 26 2005, 15:52)
ASYLUM

Decay bleeds through
cheap white emulsion.
Rat-infested
tower blocks
condemned
refugee with
graffiti.
Swastikas
prelude madness.

© Toumai, 2005

Hi Fran !
This is excellent. You have used a few, well-chosen words to paint a picture of alienation, marginality, racism.

Decay bleeds through
cheap white emulsion.

I'm especially impressed with your use of the word "bleeds" in this context. The sadness implicit in these contrasts in the context of your description... the red and the white that could, under other circumstances, be something bright and cheerful, like flowers or plummaged birds, but here convey the idea of dismal, despairing existences behind those cracking, cheap walls.

I like Grace's rearrangement too, but either way your poem reads very well, to my ears. The inclusion of the swastikas reminds me of Nina's poem on Auschwitz and the sad fact that that horrendous insignia still survives in pockets of hatred, often composed of  young people. How can that be?

The asylum issue is so terribly complex. I believe the ideal way to deal with it would be to resolve the problems in the countries of origin, but then we have people like Bush making things even worse by trying to impose "democracy" by force, as if the end justified the means.

I liken these issues to the riddle of the sphynx, in Oedipus. The paradox is that by resolving the riddle of existence, nothing good happened to poor old Oedipus.... so where does that leave us?  :ghostface:

Your poem has moved me to think about a lot of things !! Thank you for that, best,
Psyche dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 28 05, 15:45
Post #8

Hi Psyche,

Thank you for visiting another of my cheerful visions.  upside.gif

The colours are indeed important. I wanted to try to capture something of the hatred (I'm not obsessive, am I?) breaking thru our veneer of "white" western "civilization": the dirty secrets of racism lurking beneath the surface - the heady mixture of impoverished youth that supports the BNP (British National Party) - the cheap white emulsion.

I agree that the issues of asylum are immensely complex. Unfortunately our greed (and here I mean of all imperial powers) in the past - when we kept colonies and slaves - have left a legacy of trouble, exacerbated by artificial trade conditions that favour the "big" powers still further.

There will certainly be no easy answers, but that doesn't mean that we should let our politicians forget the issues or brush them under the carpet.

Poetry and politics?  :pharoah2

Fran

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 02:58
Post #9

I cannot decide how any 'final version' will be, so now there are two posted and at some time in the future (if this gets used for anything) I will have to toss a coin I suppose.  The line break separating the last sentance is very effective (thanks, Grace) so both versions now have that.

Many thanks, everyone.
Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 03:32
Post #10

Mornin' Fran,

Version One has my vote.

It is a much more powerful (and original) start.

Packs a real UMPH!

Cheerio,

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 03:41
Post #11

Thanks, James.

You have been a great help - as always.  :angel:

(Gosh, no other votes, please, or I'll have to set up some of Cleo's wonderful little voting buttons and then run away and hide  :jester: )

Many thanks and best wishes to all,
Fran

Ephiny
post Jan 30 05, 07:34
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

Hello Fran wave.gif

I love this..in just a few words, you've relayed a really powerful message and shown us a very stark scene which unfortunately, is very real for a lot of people.  I love the title as well..full of irony really.

Swastikas
prelude madness.
 This is great..I see it as a warning really, and as indeed is the case with the whole scene you describe, history can repeat itself so easily.

Great work rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 30 05, 08:52
Post #13

Lucie,   rainbow.gif

Thank you very much for your comments. dove.gif

Yes, when swastikas are daubed on walls it means the fascists have arrived - a mad deluded group - and they will drive their victims into despair - another madness.

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 13 05, 12:31
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

HI Fran.  :sauron:

A powerful piece is so few words...

I have a question on your word choice of 'blocks'. I do not understand this one? Do you mean blocks as in hides? If so, then I feel you need to answer the question as to what does the tower block? If it is a contunuing thought to the condemned refugees then I would eliminate the endstop there....

Condemned
rat infested
tower blocks.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 13 05, 15:58
Post #15

Hi Fran, Lori.

Lori...

Tower blocks are tall blocks of flats. I think in the USA they may be called "Apartment Blocks" or "skyscrapers". They were erected in great numbers in the 1960s and many turned into slums very quickly. They are being demolished whenever possible - though many remain. They might be (say) fourteen to twenty stories high and rectangular-shaped. Many were used simply as cheap state-provided housing for poorer people under a mass housing policy which has been discredited.

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 15 05, 10:44
Post #16

Hi James,
Thanks for explaining that so clearly.

Hi Lori,
I hope that makes a bit more sense with the double meaning elucidated.

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 15 05, 11:16
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Oh yes!

Thank you both.

I think this one should receive a Faery Award....

GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 15 05, 11:31
Post #18

Hi Cleo,

I'm deeply honoured to have that nomination suggested. Thanks. blush21.gif

Fran

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 15 05, 11:39
Post #19

Hi John (K),

I was reading back thru the crits and I realised you left a lovely comment to show you had read "Assylum" and I had completely missed it! So many apologies for my rudeness - it was entirely accidental.  

Belatedly - many thanks.  cloud9.gif

Fran

Guest_jayjay_*
post Feb 16 05, 04:20
Post #20

Hi, Fran.  This is a powerful little poem whichever version you choose.  

'Swastikas
prelude madness'  is a terse, taut and concentrated idea in three words- brilliant.

I think we could be writing on this subject for quite a while.

A little tower of compassion in troubled times.

JJ

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:55

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: