Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

vic.gif Calling all writers of the Mosaic! Viking.gif

We've fallen behind again blush.gif with these monthly nominations - so sorry all! If anyone would like me to go back and do one for March, April and May, please DO let me know.

The time has come to nominate a member who you feel best demonstrated the CRITIQUE in JUNE. writersblock.gif

sings.gif hsdance.gif MusicBand.gif dance.gif claps.gif

Nominate a member here by replying to this tile.

The award:
*Laurel Wreath

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The details:
  • Choose at least TWO posts critiqued by the member you'd like to nominate from the month of JUNE. *You can do this by utilizing our 'sort by topic started' OR last post date' and 'descending sort' functions located at the bottom of each forum's page display and then look to make sure the critique replies were made in June as well. detective.gif
  • Post the two examples in this thread.
  • Post only the CRITIQUES.
  • Make sure your examples are from the month of JUNE.
  • State the tile's name, author and forum the critique was replied to.
  • Eligible forums:
    Herme's Homilies and Seren's Synapse for poetry COM nominations
    Stonehenge and Loch Ness for Prose COM nominations
Nominations will be taken through August 26th, 2006.

Additional note: If more than one member is nominated for the COM award, this tile will serve as a balloting process. We will create a POLL and the members will vote the winner.

Good luck all! king.gif cheer.gif
Thank you for helping to build the Mosaic! lovie.gif dance.gif

~ Mosaic Musings Staff knight.gif Pharoah.gif cali.gif troy.gif vic.gif Viking.gif tut.gif knight.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 11 06, 15:21
Post #2

I would like to nominate Amethyst for COM. Here are a couple of examples...

In response to Cathy's 'Brainstorm'...

Hi Cathy,

As Jackie mentioned... Brilliant work. The inner rhymes through out are delicious. Especially in the first stanza, I felt that the alternating rhymes from line to line really enhance the pleasure to read this aloud...
the sounds partnerships between .... creative/alliterate delight/incite and the alliterative rhymes that are placed just perfectly, close enough to bounce off of one another such as mist/mind but at a distance to allow their differences work individually.
Some further thoughts to follow... I do think this is ripe and almost to full growth with a pleasing theme, imagery and sounds that bring enjoyment to the read...and improve on the poetic form.

Lovely work!

Hugs, Liz

Brainstorm

Blow away the mist,
release creative flow;
alliterate to your delight,
incite your mind to grow.

Lovely rhymes through out... nice steady flow and steady content... Not a nit...

Never shirk instruction's path,
seek not the writer's block;
tarry not uncertainly
or taint inventive stock.

L3, feels awkward, perhaps ... to tarry not uncertainty

Rejoice in ingenuity,
merging words to high degree.

merge my words to high degree.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright June2006

In response to Don's 'Smile Of Guile'...

Hi Don,

This is surely a smile with words... I liked the title. So fitting to the meaning of the poem, and the slightly off centered theme.

I will focus my comments on the 2nd draft... I like the improvements made and hopefully, I will be able to touch on something valuable.

Smile of Guile
(version 02)

An alligator’s toothy smile,
like crocodile of equal guile,
awaits unwary meal in style
while basking on the beach awhile.

First, let me commend you on the tight and fresh end rhymes. smile/guile/style/while... all very strong and fitting to both meaning and rhythm. Another aspect of this that pleases me is the alliteration and inner rhymes that blend the sonics like a song.

The only line that sticks out to my ear, which I cannot really pin point the reason is L4. I love the union of basking/beach-but I guess I see alligators/crocodiles on banks of canals, swamps and other murky, muddy waterways...

However, I think etching in such a view wouldn't be as strong or as pleasant as the beach.
So at this time, untill I figure out what it is that is itching my brain!

A quarry swoops to stand on sand
and spread her plumage gala grand
while seeking fish in stream she scanned,

as prey for toothy smile — unplanned.

I learned a new use of the quarry. Thank you. I will most likely find a way to make use of that. I love this ending stanza. No nits. Hugs, Liz

© 2005, D.E. Holmes
January 25

I am sorry I couldn't be too helpful. But your revisions are strong and easy to the ear. I also, note that the skill that makes each image soar like the 'quarry' of our muse!

Best Wishes, Liz

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 13 06, 15:42
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

An excellent nomination Cathy, which I will second. cheer.gif

I'll be back with two of my own example crits by Liz in June.

~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 21 06, 17:40
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

As promised, here are two critiques that Liz offered in June:

To ArtesiaMeeks "Manual Exchanges Funless" on June 26th:

Hello Carol,

Every poem is written for an special audience. The information that you've provided in your reply is perfect to allow those who are not familiar with this procedure to take in the fullness of the poem. Keeping your inoformation in mind, I think much of this works well.
First, let me say I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers. I know such daily procedures are emotionally overwhelming and mentally exhausting. It takes a strong support system to keep spirits up and positive. You sound, from your poetry to be taking the bull by the horn and handling things in a positive way. I admire that.

I think the form you've chosen for this is perfect. As you've mentioned the many times daily this needs to be done, the repetition of the final line, emphasizes the repetition.

Some other thoughts, pertaining to the poetry within the poem... Over all once I got a glimspse of what meanings certain words and images offered I felt this poem worked well.
The only thing I wanted to point out of the tone of voice--it sounded a little mechanical. I am not sure if A. This is your style of writing/speaking, B. it is to emphaszie on the mechanis of the machine and process or c. it was to meet the requirements of the poem in meter.

So let's see if we cannot offer something helpful. Please use anything that is useful, otherwise, disregard the rest.

Best Regards, Liz
QUOTE (ArtesiaMeeks @ Jun 20 06, 17:25 ) *
A Roswell trip to clinic site
and training course with nurses’ byte
who teaches us, prevent a risk,
We mask and cleanse, turn stay-safe disc.

In S1, L1.. is a perfect example of what I was meaning by mechanical. If that is what you were going for, than this is a great opening stanza. If you wanted a little more personal toen, something more natural to voice, than maybe you would consider switching some words..
L1, "A trip to Rosewell clinic site
to train a course with nurse' byte,
who'll teach us to prevent such risk,

Why did his kidneys fall asleep?
His road to health is long and steep.
He works, round track, with walks that’s brisk.

Great opening line. Shows the expected confusion of an unexpected turn in the life of illness. Straight to the point. Honest and is followed yet, by another strong line.
I was a little unsure of L3, perhaps because I am not sure if this refers to the field of employment or if this is another regference to a medical term I am not familiar with.

A higher power holds our hands.
He gives us strength. He understands
the pain we feel without life’s frisk.

Great stanza. I like the show of faith and support it paints for the reader. It relates to anyone who is or has gone through any life changing , point in there roads.
Not a single nit here.

His renal glands are shutting down
but nurse removes his doubt and frown.
New chance for life like tennis bisque,
we mask and cleanse, turn stay-safe disc. I must say, I didn't think the bisque works. It had two downfalls for me, first it sounded too rhyme driven and scond, in light of the seriousness of the subject, it was too frivilous. However, I am not too up on tennis, so it might be a meaning that fits and I just didn't get it..

To Peterpan's "Just a Little Girl" on June 28th:

Hi Bev,

A very powerful poem. Aggressively presented to bring the reader a full emotional understanding of the plight, using detailed descriptions and emotional realities that we are not privvy to in our daily lives.

I have some minor suggestions or thoughts to offer. I hope something I leave is helpful...

Hugs, Liz

Just A Little Girl

At first I wasn't too taken by the title, but after reading through the poem a few times, I cannot imagine it being anything else. It seems to provide that KICK/PUNCH to the reader that this heartaching imagery is just a little girl. I did feel that it would make a great difference if the title wasn't repeated thorugh out.

Frightened, quivering, sweating.
Skin tight over bones;
pregnant with famine;
just a little girl.

Suggest omitting sweating.
L2/L3... Absolutely excellent descriptive lines. "Pregnant with famine" strong, forceful image.

Eyes fixed, wide holes,
heart calm, slow;
body cradled by dirt;
just a little girl.

L1, 'wide holes' didn't do it for me...
I keep imagining a sunken, dark circles... I would also suggest
switching eyes fixed with wide holes. Perhaps ...

Wide and sunken; eyes fixed, ...

Bones swaddled with dust.
Brown leaves gust, settle.
Nobody cares.
Just a little girl.

Again, I would suggest omitting all the ending lines from each stanza, and this final stanza would be more powerful when connected with the title, and ending with 'Nobody Cares" ... Perhaps, even adding 'nobody notices' Which to my mind is much more profound than nobody cares, because I think if we all took the time to notice, others would care.... but the twist in using the word 'notices' is how can one NOT NOTICE a starving, neglected, discarded and abused, unhealthy child and not do something about it. ... That is just me... The word 'notices' would add so much more depth to the images that surround it.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 12 06, 17:15
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Its unanimous! MusicBand.gif

LIZ - congrats to your nominations and win of 'CRITIQUER OF THE MONTH' . You are hereby dubbed with the Laurel Wreath.

Looking good!

Cheers! cheer.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif mm.gif mm.gif rose.gif rose.gif

~Cleo pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:09

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: