Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie alert, Please be gentle
Guest_manofwords73_*
post Jan 30 06, 14:29
Post #1

Hello from North Carolina. I joined late last week but my work schedule has prevented posting until now. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some guidance on the best way to benefit from this site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. prescription.gif

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 30 06, 15:17
Post #2

Hi Manofwords

and a very warm welcome to MM.  The best way to benefit from this site is to take a deep breath and dive straight in.  It can seem a little confusing at first so if you wish to get a feel for the site before posting your own work, explore the different forums, read a few tiles (threads)  and see the replies.  When you are ready, post your own work in a forum and crit others.  

We have two poetry crit forums, Hermes for R & M and Seren's for Free verse.  There is also Shambhalan Sanctuary for the darker and more erotic works.  For prose, the place to go is Stonehenge or if posting chapters Loch Ness.  Our guidelines for the crit forums is that you post no more than one poem every other day in a forum and crit two other member's poems.

For fun and inspiration we run several challenges in Acropolis, Pandora forums.

Flash-Jam is our fortnightly  writing exercise.  A stimulus is set and members write either a poem or prose on whatever the stimulus inspires them to write.  There is a time limit of 30 minutes, though this isn't a hard and fast rule.

Every week there we have a ten word challenge.  Create a poem or story using the set ten words.

We have just begun a fortnightly drabble challenge.  Two words are given and members write either a 60 or 100 word story (prose only) from one of those words.

Monthly there is Pandora's challenge which varies each month.

My suggestion is to join in as much as you can given your no doubt hectic work schedule.  The more you get involved the more you will benefit.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM (private message) me.  There is a button at the bottom of this post.

I look forward to reading your work and ineracting with you.

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 30 06, 16:30
Post #3

Hi Kenneth...

And a very warm welcome to MM; delighted to have you here.

I'm afraid I don't know North Carolina; sorry. How's the temperature there now?

I see that Nina has offered an excellent and practical introduction, so I can put my feet up and say I won't add to it for fear of confusion.

The staff are denoted by coloured discs above their avatars (I like your avatar, by the way). So feel free to ask if you'd like help - and I see Nina's already on the ball there too.

Anyway, since I'm not saying anything much I'll go away - but I did want to add my welcome to Nina's and the others you'll receive.

See you around MM!

Best wishes,

James.

AMETHYST
post Jan 30 06, 17:17
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hello Kenneth and welcome to Mosaic Musings...

I see Nina has already helped with the directions on getting involved, so I won't repeat that, however it is good advice to read through the forums and get an idea, which forums suit you as a writer and a poet.

I look forward to reading your work and if at any point you have a question pertaining to features and their use, rules and guidelines of the various forums and/or even for anything that might come to mind.

So you are from N Carolina? ... What part? I am looking into moving from Florida within the next year moving and some parts of N.C. are on the list of possibilities.

Welcome again! I look forward to your work and interacting with you on the boards.  

Best Regards, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 31 06, 11:21
Post #5

Hi Kenneth

I'll add my welcome to all the others  :wave:  :cheer:

The [latest posts] at the top of the screen is very handy for a general view of the most recent posts.

Don't worry about getting lost - just shout (pm any of the mods) and we'll help.

Looking forward to your posts,

Fran

Peterpan
post Jan 31 06, 12:30
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Jox

Yes, and welcome from South Africa! Thanks for reading my poem.

Look forward to your poetry, when you have the time...

PP

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 1 06, 06:34
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Kenneth (or do you prefer Ken) and Welcome to MM! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

WOW- Nina has given you the creme de la creme of details (the most popular forums we offer here at the Mosaic so I'll just bowdown.gif and say Thanks Nina!  StarWars1.gif

Another tip if you'd like to contact a staff member (well two actually) is to click on the link above your Welcome bar in RED to view our alternative forum index. Here is the link too. At the top, you'll see the following:

[ Log In :: Register ] [ Staff: AMETHYST, blondie, Charon, Cleo_Serapis, Cybele, Imhotep, JLY, Jox, Nina, Toumai ]
Just click on the hyperlinks to one of the names and then utilize the "Click here to send (member name)a Private Message" hyperlink in their profiles.

Please keep in mind I will be changing 'blondie' to 'Cathy'.

If you'd like to query a moderator or administrator, you can also click on the link at the bottom of our forum (underneath our users active stats) labeled 'Team List'. Just click the PM button to send one of us a message. :block: This list also will detail who moderates the various forums as well.  hsdance.gif  ninja.gif

Located in this forum you'll find a few tips as well.

I look forward to reading your work and interacting with you!

Cheers!  cheer.gif

~Cleo  highfive.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Blank_Canvas
post Feb 15 06, 12:00
Post #8

Greek

Member No.: 15

Hello Kenneth,
     Sorry if this welcome comes a little late. My work schedule at the moment has got me spinning.....
      I am glad you chose to join us here. Lots of friendly and talented poets call this home. They seem encouraging and compassionate to those who are learning the ropes and offer intelligent feedback to them, as easily, as to the seasoned veteran. I love their playfulness as much as their serious poetry. If you are a serious writer who devotes hours to your craft and desires to be published.....this is a wonderful beginning point. On the other hand, if you are like me, one who has no desire to publish, etc...one who loves poetry as a pastime and an outlet for thoughts and emotions.....and will always have a lot to learn.....it is wonderful for that, as well. Participate as much as time allows you and give as freely as you are given. You will make friends and learn so much ! It will be oh, so grand, to have you among us !
                                           Marcia sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"...We are born into the world like a blank canvas
and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
So it is that we develop.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

1981 Javan (from the book " Meet Me Halfway" )

MM Award Winner

Guest_Artemis_*
post Jul 12 06, 17:28
Post #9

Hi manofwords...
What part of North Carolina are you talking about?
I spent 20yrs in Chattanooga, and have tromped all over eastern Tennessee and southwestern North Carolina, hiking solo, or sometimes 'accompanied'.. and sometiems with my Airedales. I love the Southern Appalachians!

Now i'm in north central Florida.. and oh, how I miss the mountains sometimes (there are some horse trails I ride on, which go along the tops of embankments made decades ago as part of an ill-fated 'cross florida barge canal' project. When I'm on the tops of those, I *pretend* I am in the mountains!

but then.. not ALL of North Carolina is mountains! You might be down nearer the ocean...

anyway, welcome.

sun.gif gena sun.gif
artemis

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 21:46

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: