Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maximum Size?, Posting limit
Guest_Perrorist_*
post Jun 8 05, 04:07
Post #1

What's the maximum word/character length that a piece submitted for review can be?

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 8 05, 05:20
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Perry.

Well that's a good question!

We do have Loch Ness for chapters (so there's no maximum there) as long as each chapter it its own tile.

As for Stonehenge and Medusa postings, those forums are geared for the short story. I think most categorize short story as 3,000 to 15,000 words.

A classic definition of a short story is that it must be able to be read in one sitting. Other definitions place the maximum word length (or number of words in the story) at 7,500 words. In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words (at one extreme) and no shorter than 1,000.

Stories shorter than 1,000 words fall into the flash fiction genre. Fiction surpassing the maximum word length parameters of the short story falls into the areas of novelettes, novellas, or novels.

Do you have a piece in mind that exceeds 15,000 - 20,000 words?

Cheers!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jun 8 05, 06:35
Post #3

Perry,

Were you wondering how much MM tiles will allow? Or how much the readers will tolerate?

I suspect the former, as the latter would vary enormously depending on author and reader and you metion character count.

In which case ... over to the MM experts.

Fran

Guest_Perrorist_*
post Jun 8 05, 11:41
Post #4

QUOTE (Toumai @ June 08 2005, 21:35)
Were you wondering how much MM tiles will allow? Or how much the readers will tolerate?

Yes, definitely the former, and Lori's given a comprehensive reply.

Thank you both.

Perry

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 8 05, 11:55
Post #5

>L>Stories shorter than 1,000 words fall into the flash fiction genre

Typo - think you mean microstory. (Flash relates to speed.)

Also with the chapter forum - you meant no maximum (not minimum).

One think, Lori - is there a technical limit on the number of words any one posting can take? (as Fran implied the question might be).

>L>Fiction surpassing the maximum word length parameters of the short story falls into the areas of novelettes, novellas, or novels.

Or Government publications.

Cheers, J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 8 05, 16:40
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

LOL!
LOL.gif

Effectively, I've set the post size as unlimited here on MM.

Technically, it's 100,000,000,000 kbs which I believe is equal to 97 gigs which is bigger than our hard-drives. You'd most likely get a time-out bomb if ever trying to post something that big.  rofl.gif ...

But for purposes of the prose forums, I would say a post shouldn't be longer than 25,000 words...

Cheers!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Perrorist_*
post Jun 8 05, 16:53
Post #7

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ June 09 2005, 07:40)
Technically, it's 100,000,000,000 kbs which I believe is equal to 97 gigs which is bigger than our hard-drives.

Mmm...might have to trim a few words off my story then.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 8 05, 16:55
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

LOL.gif

This is a LONG short story then.......

I spy with my little eye hal.gif  an oxymoron there....
rofl.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 14:19

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: