> Late at the Library, guilt expressed in sonnet form
jgdittier
post Jan 14 05, 10:33
Post #1

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

After 40 years of returning every book on time, last year I was 3 days late!

O demon guilt, my conscious now proclaims
Your weigh to be my burden, heavy held.
My fate has fallen into Satan's flames,
To restitution now I feel compelled.
This crime of mine occurred without design,
A happenstance I vowed I'd not repeat.
As ignomy, disgrace and shame combine
With fine to make my punishment complete.
O'er forty years of faithful fealty,
With naught a blemish brought by boastful thought...
Reduce it not! The fine in full on me!
Perhaps a victim, I, as I've been caught!
 And still I must, by fine, them recompense.
 "O.K., I'll pay. Three days, that's fifteen cents"!

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post Jan 14 05, 10:48
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

FANTASTIC, RON !!!
So glad you posted this for Exhibition, it's clever, contains excellent vocabulary, rhymes beautifully and put a BIG SMILE on my face !!
Thanks for sharing,
Psyche  :sun:  :jester:  :read:  :cheer:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jan 20 05, 17:42
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Dear Psyche,
Keeping poetry #1 as a hobby is not any easy task as all who write hope also to entertain. Your having taken time to confirm your having read and found value in my post here is exactly what it takes for all of us to "stay the course".
Cheers,    jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 20 05, 17:51
Post #4

Hi Ron,

I missed this, sorry.

Most amusing.

Last year I was seven months late in returning seven library books. The fine was about £30.00. I've given up; I always lose them. I simply buy the books now - cheaper, expecially if I can buy them second-hand.

By the way, I saw a video clip on tv tonight of the Nazis burning the books... for some reason your Satanic flame made me think of that.

Good stuff.

Cheers James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 20 05, 19:59
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Tee hee rofl.gif  Dear Ron,

What a pleasurable read! Thanks for posting this one. I cannot recall the last time I visited my hometown library - seems like ages!

I couldn't even say what the 'late dues' would be?

Since I became a bit of a book collector (you know, my expression for buying every new sci-fi/fantasy or horror novel that comes out and then saying, "One of these days I'll get to it!".....

I still have about 40 books in the bokcase(s) to read, LOL.gif!

Cheers - perhaps you've made me realize that paying the library dues is cheaper!  :grinning:  :oops:  :upside:

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jan 21 05, 10:30
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Dear Psyche,
Comments like yours fire the coals of verse!

Dear James,
I'm not aware of the current exchange rate, but at 0.05$/day, your fine here would be $73.30 US.
I was genuinely embarrassed.  

Dear Cleo,
I just hope none of those books was from alibrary!

Cheers to all,   jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jan 21 05, 10:48
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Ron, James, Cleo !!
Nice gathering place, old Plato's Academy...er, Pearls of Wisdom, oops.
Reading you guys' remarks about begging, borrowing or stealing books  :speechless: ,made me wonder whether any of you have my problem... Whenever I finish reading a good book, I feel as if I'm in a mourning period, there's a sort of void in me, and I don't want to put the book back on its shelf or pass it on to somebody else, let alone give it back to the library or its rightful owner.... blush21.gif
Maybe that explains some people's "sticky fingers", without justifying them, ha ha.....  :jester:
Cleo, my nightable is loaded with books to read, it can't be moved for cleaning, I also have the bad habit of reading several books at once. I pick out one according to the mood of the moment. I also carry a book in my handbag, which probably explains why my shoulder aches horridly... I've got this phobic fantasy of being stuck somewhere without reading matter to distract my attention from whatever perils may assail me.... ghostface.gif
Well, nice chatting with you  :pharoah2
See, Ron, how your poem has set all of us thinking and/or jesting.... or firing the coals of verse    :bowdown:
See ya !
Psyche  :wave:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 21 05, 11:03
Post #8

Hi Lori, Sylvia, Ron,

The $US / £ Sterling exchange rate is fast-heading for 2:1 (what are you folks doing over there? The $ is going to be in free-fall, if you're not careful and that will be no good for anyone). [You need to increase taxes, gentley  reduce consumer spending, haul-back state spending  and imports and just start to touch the brakes. See they won't pay me a big salary now - I've told them what to do... Though I'm not sure electing GWB was the best move, given my prescription. And remember, I can comment - it is not just a US problem. When you sneeze, we get the cold].

So, say about £38 - not much difference. I'm never ashamed by anything like that - just hacked-off at the fine. (No one was requesting the books).

I have kept a couple of people's books over time - but never intentionally. And I've lost a few, too.

I don't keep a book in my handbag - I need the space for my make-up. If I know I am going to be waiting anywhere I tend to take a paperback, a notepad and pen. Read or write - or both.

If I finish a novel which I enjoyed, I do feel a slight loss, yes. I often tend then to buy the next by that particular author, until I'm sick of them.

Cheerio, James.

Psyche
post Jan 21 05, 12:13
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

HA HA, James !!

I have room in my hand-bag for make-up AND a book AND a notepad AND a hanky AND  several unmentionables or whatever. Weighs a ton... Speechless.gif
In my country we usually have to wait for things, so "be prepared" is my motto  :jester:
I'm afraid I get passionate about books, so my loss is greater than yours  :)
Yes, I "do" authors also, same as  music  , play them to death... laugh.gif

I hardly ever allow anybody to lend me books, I'm so untrustworthy.

Your advice on the US$ sounds familiar, with my Argentine experience(s). I certainly don't want the dollar to crash since it wouldn't suit anybody, but after the way my country was misguided, pressured and deceived on countless occasions by the IMF and the WB and numerous private banks in Europe and the U.S., as well as by well-known Harvard economists in key world positions, it would surely be a cause for merriment, if short-lived.

Nowadays some countries are again talking about another "Argentine miracle" and it's really mind-boggling. Has everybody gone insane? We're supposed to have a growth-rate of about 8% this year, I'd like to know who does the accounting, fiddles with the figures, tells blatant lies. We're used to being lied to by our own corrupt leaders, but why does the R.O.W. believe in all that bull??
Our streets are full of beggars and nearly 50% of people live below the poverty line, however that's calculated.

And here, same as in the U.S., the rich seem to pay less taxes, whereas the middle-class downwards are strangled.... We have the highest VAT in the world, 21% on practically everything, often duplicated in the course of complex taxation strategies.

Gee... Ron's poem has led us astray,   :offtopic:
Isn't it fun to misbehave in the forums?!
Psyche  :wave:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 14:25

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: