post Jan 23 07, 13:41
Post #1

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 355
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Elizabeth DiBenedetto

Hello all:

After receiving a number of critiques, I have the following revision.

Revision
A Desperate Prayer by a man without enough hours in the day

Again
I offer You
this simple fix:
Increase
the daily hours
to twenty-six.

Original
A Desperate Prayer
by a man without enough hours in the day

Again I offer You this simple fix:
Increase the daily hours to twenty-six.

·······IPB·······

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Don_*
post Jan 23 07, 14:05
Post #2

Well said Norman.

For all those great
grant them thirty-eight.

Don

Eisa
post Jan 23 07, 19:48
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE (Norman D Gutter @ Jan 23 07, 18:41 ) [snapback]90389[/snapback]
A Desperate Prayer
by a man without enough hours in the day

Again I offer You this simple fix:
Increase the daily hours to twenty-six.

Hi Norm

This one made me smile -- it's a prayer I'm sure we all utter sometimes. A thought provking little verse -- wish there was more.

Snow

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jan 24 07, 08:57
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hehee... I like the lightness yet the very powerful thoughts between the two lines--I liked Snow suggestion... I want more.
Perhaps this is a couplet starter for a very, very interesting conversation between God and the narrator, describe within a Sonnet???

(Hint, hint)
Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Norman D Gutter
post Jan 24 07, 12:46
Post #5

Babylonian

Thanks Don, Snow, and Liz for the comments.

I hear what you are saying about wanting some more. Short poems somehow seem incomplete. But I feel that this one is complete. And, with 20 syllables (or 21 if you don't naturally elide 'hours' to one), it is three more than the longest haiku, and only two short of a cinquain. Of course, the lack of line breaks is what contributes to the shortness. By the poet/narrator stating his ridiculous request and calling it 'simple', we learn of how out of touch he is. The word 'again' tells us this is not a new thing--I think this the most important word in the poem. The lack of 'please' in the poem hints at a lack of respect for God. Or, maybe the whole thing is just a joke. Either way, I feel like adding more would just be padding.

Unless, the prayer is granted, in which case I will use the first week with the extra hours to turn this into a sonnet!

NDG

·······IPB·······

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jan 24 07, 15:47
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

QUOTE (Norman D Gutter @ Jan 24 07, 17:46 ) [snapback]90438[/snapback]

I hear what you are saying about wanting some more. Short poems somehow seem incomplete. But I feel that this one is complete. And, with 20 syllables (or 21 if you don't naturally elide 'hours' to one), it is three more than the longest haiku, and only two short of a cinquain. Of course, the lack of line breaks is what contributes to the shortness. By the poet/narrator stating his ridiculous request and calling it 'simple', we learn of how out of touch he is. The word 'again' tells us this is not a new thing--I think this the most important word in the poem. The lack of 'please' in the poem hints at a lack of respect for God. Or, maybe the whole thing is just a joke. Either way, I feel like adding more would just be padding.

Unless, the prayer is granted, in which case I will use the first week with the extra hours to turn this into a sonnet!

NDG

Dear NDG,
In case you consider the question as to why there are 24 hours in a "day"...
Our answer at the clock museum where I'm a guide is that the earliest thinkers who dealt with astronomical/
chronological questions chose 12 as a critical number. !2 was preferred over 10 because it contained more prime numbers, hence could be divided into more equal periods. I'd guess the 24 came from the fact that there's a second half to "day", called night.
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 25 07, 04:53
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE (Norman D Gutter @ Jan 24 07, 17:46 ) [snapback]90438[/snapback]

NDG

You are right Norm -- I was forgetting how short a haiku is, yet it tells everything. I suppose it is perhaps having 2 long lines that makes it look incomplete. You could always go for four.

Again I offer You
this simple fix:
Increase the daily hours
to twenty-six.

Just a thought, but I have to agree, this says everything you want it to (and more between the lines)

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jan 25 07, 18:39
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

I have to agree with Snow... the 4 lines do work best. Your explanation of specific words, I am embarrassed, but I hadn't seen it until you brought it to my attention. I reread it, taking your intention in consideration and it does hold much more weight. However the couplet doesn't do it justice when considering 'again' and simple' and their purpose within the poem.

Again I offer
You this simple fix:
Increase the daily hours
to twenty-six

I would only suggest a slight difference from what Snow has offered... and that would be to bring down 'You to start L2' ... other than that... to my mind, interpretation it really works.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

wordsart
post Jan 26 07, 22:05
Post #9

Babylonian

Member No.: 364

Love the idea behind this one and it is so punchy being short.

It is certainly complete as it stands but would also make a grand punch line for a longer poem.

I wrote on on same subject a few years ago. called the decimal day, but I think I had only 20 hours in the decimal day that was one of the EU rulings for all member states!!

I'll recite this whenever I am late for a deadline!!

wave.gif
Jenni

Norman D Gutter
post Jan 27 07, 22:30
Post #10

Babylonian

Thank you all for the additional comments on this. I'll give consideration to breaking it into a four line poem.

I think I'm going to let it rest for a while and see how it looks in a couple of months.

NDG

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Feb 21 07, 19:56
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear Norman,

Perfect as it is, tho for the eye it looks better in 4 lines.

One thing I have learned in reading out short poems, is to make a very long title, otherwise the audience completely fails to "get ready" until it is long gone !

Love
Alan

·······IPB·······

Norman D Gutter
post Feb 21 07, 20:17
Post #12

Babylonian

Hi Alan:

You dragged this up from aways back. Thanks for doing that. I wanted to post a revision, but didn't want to bring it up myself. I mean for the subtitle as part of the title. I think that corresponds with what you said about titles.

I'll edit the revision into the initial post.

NDG

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Feb 21 07, 20:22
Post #13

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear Norman,

If you are going to be so brazen about wanting this dragged up, you might as well have done it yourself, lol ! But it is a pleasure to serve you.

Yes, there is the subtitle, perhaps it should be incorporated as part of the main one ? Also, is it not "from" a man ... ?

Love
Alan

·······IPB·······

AMETHYST
post Feb 22 07, 17:12
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Hi Dave,

I think that the revised format does a lot of the poem over all. It allows the reader to slow down the read, contemplating the meaning and correlation between the two phrases, while also giving pause to mull specific aspects to the word choices, such as the word 'simple' and the inclusion of 'again' in L1-

The title does play a critical part to the poems interpretation and this, I would say, with the change in format has reached a very gratifying point.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Feb 22 07, 17:16
Post #15

Ornate Oracle

Oh by the way, anytime one of your posts falls to another page, and there is revisions posted, feel free to pull up-and you can bump it by using one of the emoticons like ... bump.gif

thanks.gif Or you can use that old Whip.gif I stole from Pk~

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Norman D Gutter
post Feb 23 07, 10:43
Post #16

Babylonian

Thanks for your observations, Liz.

I agree that the new format is better.

NDG

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 23 07, 16:06
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello NDG. wave.gif

I do like the latest revision more! cheer.gif I think the shorter lines add emphasis to the rhyme scheme soemhow (could just be me wink.gif.

I have only one idea to suggest:

Again
I offer You
this simple fix:
Increase
the Your daily hours
to twenty-six.

Hmmmm - what I could do with 2 extra hours per day - that'sa neat thought! angel.gif

Cheers
~Cleo StarWars1.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 22:53

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: