Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
> Poetic Fashion
Guest_Nina_*
post Aug 2 05, 02:23
Post #1

Fran has raised the question of use of adverbs being unfashionable a couple of times on threads  which I hope she doesn't mind me quoting.

Is there a single verb for 'tread eagerly' that would let you loose the adverb? I quite like adverbs (as does JKR, lol), but they are rather unfashionable these days

again, would 'loom' or similar enable you to loose 'tower menacingly' ?

Why is it unfashionable?

Why should one follow the trend and lose the adverbs simply because it is not the "cool" thing to do so?

Who dictates what is or isn't the "in" style?

I thought poetry was about originality, leading not following and personally I can't understand this point of view.

Discuss please.

Nina

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
jgdittier
post Mar 31 08, 09:33
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear All,
I haven't attempted prose and so my comments only refer to poetry. Then again, perhaps they should be more limited to light verse....
However, I believe the current thrust that takes the writing of both prose and poetry to promote terseness justifies deep thought.
I see it as practical for prose in that prose is the language of law and clear communications and as such should promote full understanding with efficient usage of words.
Poetry contains a far greater element of beauty at the expense of clarity and terseness. Thus I reject the thought that terseness should be an element of poetry.
I believe the commitment to terseness results solely from the modern attitude about poetry, that is, IT SHOULD BE MORE LIKE PROSE!
I want my verse to be as far removed from most elements of prose as possible. I want it to sing to you. I want it to make you smile. I want it to appeal to your emotions. I don't want its form to be restricted by a long list of no-nos that make accomplishing those goals more difficult. Terseness in poetry is to me an intolerable and valueless constraint.
Read Longfellow's "The Day Is Done". It is chock full of little, unimportant words, "the", "of", "and", yet for me, its perfect simplicity and sincerity penetrates my shell and so represents the essence of what poetry should be.

I don't know who the folks are who are considered the Shepherds of poetry, but I am not one of their flock!!!
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Nina   Poetic Fashion   Aug 2 05, 02:23
- - Toumai   Hi, Nina I am sorry to have bothered you with tha...   Aug 2 05, 02:53
- - Jox   Hi Nina, Fran, et al. Firstly, in any and all wal...   Aug 2 05, 03:01
- - Nina   Hi Fran Your comment didn't bother me in the ...   Aug 2 05, 06:52
- - Jox   Hi Nina, >N>(i.e. nothing I can argue against LOL...   Aug 2 05, 07:05
- - Nina   Hi James What an unusual lady you are! Never ...   Aug 2 05, 13:26
- - Jox   Hi Nina, No there is no point in arguing for the ...   Aug 2 05, 13:47
- - Nina   Hi James So, what's the next topic Good ques...   Aug 2 05, 13:54
- - Toumai   Milk it for what it's worth  :sun: Fran   Aug 2 05, 14:04
- - Cleo_Serapis   I agree with Fran that it appears a action verb in...   Aug 2 05, 14:33
- - Jox   My bug-bare with conjunctions is when writers put ...   Aug 2 05, 15:19
- - Jox   Fran, >F>Milk it for what it's worth If we s...   Aug 2 05, 15:22
- - Nina   J If we spend too long on it, people may become c...   Aug 2 05, 15:33
- - Jox   N :) J.   Aug 2 05, 15:37
- - Toumai   And what is the problem with conjunctions, Lori? B...   Aug 2 05, 15:41
- - Don   Hi all, I have a mentor older than I who believes...   Aug 2 05, 17:29
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Toumai @ Aug. 02 2005, 16:41) And wha...   Aug 2 05, 18:21
- - Jox   Hi Lori, I agree with being tight in poetry (limi...   Aug 2 05, 18:28
- - Don   Hi Lori, I am more likely to use a conjunction (s...   Aug 2 05, 19:07
- - Cleo_Serapis   I know - I find it hard to not use complete senten...   Aug 7 05, 11:25
- - Don   QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Aug. 07 2005, 12:25)I k...   Aug 7 05, 12:14
- - Don   Someone asked way back what is the other topic. ...   Aug 7 05, 14:07

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 20:57

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: