Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

THE FOURTH DIMENSION

A conscious moment: a dark moment.
A moment that treads heavily on the silken
rails of reason to expose visceral pangs of defeat.

A burning arrow: a blade of stone.
The tormented skin of abstraction, that falters,
then sings the unsung songs of patriots and kings.

The fiery feet of Mercury: sidereal and bright.
Time: the bosom of Morpheus spreading spangled
phantoms across the silver curve of the universe.

Arnfinn

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cybele
post Nov 17 04, 16:20
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

G'day Arnie,

This is simply beautiful.

While I cannot grasp the idea of the fourth dimension (tetraspace) your words, nevertheless paint lovely pictures in my mind.

I suppose this sums it up for me

rails of reason

while this..

phantoms across the silver curve of the universe

is the stuff of dreams  cloud9.gif

No, I can't pretend to understand that ' The fourth dimension is all space that one can get to by travelling in a direction perpendicular to three-dimensional space', I can at least understand the lovely imagery of this very clever piece.

It definitely has the wow! factor Arnie. sun.gif

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Nov 18 04, 07:07
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

A beautiful piece in a style beyond me about a subject even further beyond me!   Snowflake.gif

Lightly, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Morgan le Fay
post Nov 21 04, 22:33
Post #4

Assyrian

Member No.: 20

Well hello, Arnie The Finn!

Long time no see. (heh-heh)

Just thought I'd pop into your dreams here.  :wizard:  
This indeed is "The Stuff that dreams are made off".  Enjoyed your visit to the " fourth dimension'.

Along with the other posters in this thread, I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.  Not to say that it's not lovely, it definitely is.  :cool:

What I get from this, is that it is the moment between being awake and falling asleep.  That surreal dreamlike stage where one fashions their dreams.  Manipulating them so to speak.  I think there is a term for that, but can't remember what it's called.  It's when one knows that they are dreaming and can sort of fashion the script.   upside.gif

This kind of reminds me of an old song that was popular in late 70's, I think.  Can't remember who the author is, but the title was ' Dream Weaver' It was about astral travel.  There was a verse that said, 'meet me on the dark side of the moon.'  A lovely way to meet.  " To sleep, perchance to dream'.  

Thank you for letting me comment on this piece.  Been away a long time and I'm out of practice.  :blush21:  I did enjoy where 'Morpheus' took you...., and me.

Love and stuff,
Chris
Morgan le Fay
Mistress Of Magic  :wizard:

·······IPB·······

"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."

- ?Mallory, Morte d'Arthur

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 22 04, 23:55
Post #5

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeloooooooooooooo.

Cybele.

Just jumped off a moonbeam frooooooooooooooooom cyberspace. Speechless.gif

Ya know I'VE been locked-out. Yep I've been bangin on the door of MM lookin through the letterbox n' not been able to get in. Wall.gif

Well I''m back. dance.gif

So ya all got ta put up wiif me again. troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:

The Fourth Dimension.

To me, there's something magical about dimension number four.  The other three spatial dimensions with that of time form a curved 'continuum' and within which occur all material phenomena.

Isn't that a fantastic concept. The fourth dimension, explained by A E in a relative way. What was the theory behind the indivisible statement?

The theory was put forward to account for certain physical phenomena observed in the distant stars and for the shape of the orbit of the panet Mercury, which could not be accounted for by Newton's laws.

The defeat of Newton: was Einstein's triumph.

The burnining arrow a lump of gasseous rock changed the world for patriots and kings.

Something that fires ye olde imagination Grace.

Of course, It's better for me cause I live in an upside down world.  :alien2:  

Wizard.gif  :wizard:

See ya later Cob,

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 23 04, 00:04
Post #6

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

How's it going Daniel,

Mate, your the perfectionist. So, thanks for your comments. Now that I walk the corridors of MM again, I'll be able to get around a bit checkn' out more poets by the likes of yourself, your always good for a sonnet or two.  :laugh:

With a high nonny nonny and a ho, ho, ho.

Be around to see ya cob,

Arnie.  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 23 04, 00:30
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

The Mistress Of Magic.

Morgan Le Fay

I rubs me eyes....(peer peer), Is it really youuuuuu. I thought you and Blackbeard  drowned in a barrel of rum in the Caribbean about a year ago. Haven't seen ya since then.
Well, what a pleasant surprize!

I'm glad you told me what you got out of this little piece. This is what I wanted readers to do, take a meaning, an imaginative tangent to some other plain.

Morpheus, The Greek, Hypnos the son of the god of sleep. A god that sends dreams and visions.

pilgrim.gif

Thank you for taking the time. Wizard.gif  :wizard:

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 23 04, 02:20
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi Arnieeeeee!!

Cor stones the crows! Some larrikin locked ya out? I think you got the rough end of the pineapple there cobber. Bet yer was as cross as a frog in a sock, mate.  alien.gif Ya needed that like a submarine needs a screen door.

But Holy Dooley, here yer are again me old cobber, wormed yer way back in, an' yer give us a bonzer pome - flash as a rat with a gold tooth. LOL.gif

Something that fires ye olde imagination Grace  

Too true blue. Speechless.gif

Thanks fer all the good oil about the Fourth Dimension Arn.  Ya bloods worth bottling!

Yer limey mate

Grace
rainbow.gif

Hope yer enjoying the hardship of yer Aussie summer  alien.gif  rofl.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Nov 23 04, 04:04
Post #9

I was going to post a solid comment here but Grace's transmogrification into a manic Aussie Alien has me worried. You should get out less, Grace. Take it easy. If I didn't know you better I'd suggest too much Foster's.

Anyway, help me please Grace - why "Tetra space"? I looked it up and it seems to be a postulated fourth spatial dimension. However, I took Arn's poem to mean time as the fourth dimension (if one includes tetra space, time is pushed along to become the fifth dimension). However, Arn's wonderful reference to those distorted silken rails might well support your tetra space view.

Hi Arn and good to see you again, old chap. Hope you've been ok and you certainly seem eager to tarry.

Your poem has me flummoxed. I take Grace's view and I like MorganLF's (perchance to dream of relative time and astrophysics, maybe?). I also like the idea of a poem which is as jelly which one is attempting to nail to a notice board. Moreover, there is no doubt that your poem has great aesthetic qualities.

Having said all that I would be interested to hear what you meant by it - in the end I am with Daniel to a large degree in incomprehension. There are several clever elements - and you have also offered the Einstein clue (though I have never read him and don't pretend to understand any of Newton, let alone AE.) I take it the reference to the rails was a nod to AE? And, by the way, those silken rails are a brilliant bit of poetry, don't you know.

So, I suppose I'm saying that this looks and sounds great - has some tremendous lines but I would like to understand it more... might you kindly explain, in language that those of use who don't speak Einstein, can understand please? I think we'd appreciate it.

Well done Arn - you certainly have created a talking point. Relatively speaking.

James.

AMETHYST
post Nov 23 04, 04:46
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hey Arnie,

Good to see and read you! I haven't read any of the response's already posted, trying to salvage time to make up for more critiquing... I did want to make a mention that I loved the opposition I saw in this...

A very provocative thought is expressed here and leaves me with a billion other thoughts that lead me to further asperations and wonderings. I think the title is perfect, as I took this to mean time being the 4th dimension. not sure if I am right, but alas...it is intriguing on either view.

Some minor thoughts to follow...I am interested to know what popped these amazing multi-layered thoughts into your mind! wink.gif

Hugs, Liz

THE FOURTH DIMENSION

In L1, I liked the conscious/dark opposition. Where conscious brings to mind a light-an understanding and clarity. A brightness of thought and perception, while dark moment gave me an immediate image of like a jester... half black/half white painted face. It showed me moments of flickering understanding, then non comprehending.
What I felt could improve this stanza was eliminating that third 'moment' in L2...
Perhaps:
A conscious moment: A dark moment,
which threads heavily on silken rails of reason
to expose a visceral pang of defeat

Also suggestion a singular 'pang' because it gives the concept of defeat a more personal, more magnified intensity.

A burning arrow: a blade of stone.
The tormented skin of abstraction, that falters,
then sings the unsung songs of patriots and kings.

I would have liked that same opposition followed through in each stanza. I think it enhances the time/space/universal and cosmic theory through out.
Perhaps...
"A wooden arrow: A Blade of stone,
burning; the tormented skin of abstraction-falters
then sings an unsung song of Patriots and Kings.

phantoms across the silver curve of the universe.

Love this final stanza. The silver curve of the universe--completely awesome.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 25 04, 06:21
Post #11

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Back again Grace,

Hey your pretty swish with the Ausie lingo cobber. Yeah, I was getting a bit suspicious. Ya  message ya wrote is bit like the Warrumbungla lingo out west around Coonabarabran on the Castlereagh. It's good to be back inside again havin a yarn to all the 'trustees' . Ya know I might even get another plate of porridge or sumthin.  :dance:

Back to the 4th D. The 4TH D, E=mc squared is a good subject, because it's open to the imagination. I mean ta say it's not a cut and dried subject like a peanut-butter sanger or somthin like that isn'it.

Glad to have you drop by again Grace, I know ya enjoying all that grey, dank, overcast days in the sunnyset shire or whatever.

Ya cobber from d/u.

Arnie  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 25 04, 06:37
Post #12

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Jox mate, I'm so glad to read another of your brief messages. Just a thought off the subject a bit, have you ever thought about going into the mens underwear business. cool.gif

Mate, this is my Fourth Dimension and I’m sticking to it. You go and make your own. As a matter of no interest I may be in the fourth demension where E=mc???? Or dimension wise D3 =3 and if E3 =if(D3=3,1,0)then F3=sum(D3:E3) save then hide columns D3:F3. Bingo an unsquared fourth dimension in Excell.

Mercury the closest planet to the Sun with a rocky mantle 600 kilometres deep. Its hot regions, caused by heat from volcanic activity below the surface, festering away out of our eyesight.  ‘A  rocky stone, a fiery arrow, orbiting out of our view. E=mcl  m equals mass E equals energy and c the velocity of light 300,000 kilometres per second.

All this should have been obvious James. But then of course it’s a poem. A poem, that could have changed the result of the Battle of Hastings if AE had been thereabouts. ‘Excuse me Harold olde chap, we are all patriots and kings here, would you just move ya noggin about 25 degrees to the right. That’s it, I’m just checkin out the orbit of Mercury.’

By the way, while we are embroiled in writing stuff, did you ever finish your spy novel?

Mate, I love ya compliments, did anyone ever tell you are a genious with the insight of Billy Shakespeare. Keep em coming mate.

I'm very pleased to have met up with again Cobber.

Have a couple of pints of Watneys on me...in colonial dollars of course.

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 25 04, 06:52
Post #13

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi ya going Liz?

I'm glad to see you too (well, I cant really see ya, ya know what I mean). I gives ya ten points sweetheart, ya did exactly what I wanted the reader to do, see my abstract Fourth Dimention poem for what it is. Then put your own interpretation on what flowed onto my Dell monitor. Ya even went one better, ya beautiful lady, you accentuated what I gave you into a billion thoughts.

What made think all this nonsense up...Hmmmmm to be honest I dunno, but, its good fun.

Have a wonderful day sweetheart...

Mickyfinn...Nah, thats not right Wizard.gif

Arnfinn troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 26 04, 16:53
Post #14

Suddenly I'm in another Zone!

It's beautifully written and paints pretty pictures but The Fourth Dimension lost me!   Jester.gif (which of course isn't hard to do)

Cathy cloud9.gif  :lovie:  :cloud9:

Aphrodite
post Nov 27 04, 08:52
Post #15

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7

Hello Arnie~ Snowflake.gif

I love this piece!
This is such an intelligent write, layered with interesting and vivid imagery, beyond my wildest expectations!

Truly stellar!

Happy holidays~ blueorn.gif
Lindi

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 28 04, 03:30
Post #16

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Cathy,

I'm glad you got some good vibes out of the F/D. Though, the poem isn't so' cut and dried' as it looks. There are actually poems withiin the poem. That why I'm interested? Wizard.gif

I'm very pleased to meet you. Thank you for dropping in to see me.

wink.gif

Arnie  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Nov 28 04, 04:03
Post #17

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Lindi,

I like your visits, your such a happy person with a kind word or words. The fourth dimension changed the way we view time and existance. I believe, we all, all of us , sometime in our lives have a fourth dimension. Sometime, in our lives where we discover an unknown, something that changes the way we think, something that affects our lives.  

Somthing that, may or may not

'tread heavily on the silken rails of reason to expose visceral pangs of defeat.'

or

or it may be something that exposes 'joy and enlightenment, or just joy.'

But something that changes the inner you, something that lifts 'the seventh veil'
and strokes the strings of  intellect and conscience.

Arniel troy.gif  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 00:08

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: