> Wilderness and Trees., Ekphrasis
Merlin
post May 5 08, 17:15
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

A year ago a picture was posted here at MM (challenge) of rejuvenating trees on a brown forest floor. I did a reply then, but this is the 2nd, new-improved version of that picture.

Wilderness and Trees

An emerald baldachin of springtime leaves
leaks sunray droplets to the forest floor,
regenerating life. A jaybird weaves
from limb to limb, then picks a sycamore
as pulpit for his verbal diatribe
at some annoyance either seen or heard
down on the ground, a target found to jibe
although that subject rambles undisturbed.
All forest dwellers hear that he is still “the bird.”

·······IPB·······

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
jgdittier
post May 5 08, 18:11
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Merlin,
The absolute best way to keep a waning site frombellying up is to post.
It surely beats all the words of appreciation and hope that normally result.
I suspect that tho you've admitted to being dry lately, Lori's bugal call will bring out the true believers. Thomas Paine once spoke of the difference between those who stuck around in good times, but wavered when things were tough. Those words of his are up there with the most inspiring ever thought or put to words.
Sometimes, tho verse has been my most rewarding hobby during these ever shrinking years, whether I deserve the priviledge that all those who have sponsored a poetry site have made available.
I'll post my Thomas Paine effort here to keep this post alive, but many more than we must take arms now if we want Lori to save this for us.
I'm especially pleased to see that you're leading the way and that this crisis has motivated you to rise above the dry spell we all occasionally face.
I suspect we'll either fail or MM will come out of this better than ever.
Cheers to Lori, however,
Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 5 08, 19:56
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Eric, Wizard.gif

I hope you don't mind that I edited in that image to your poem above. If you do, just delete it, lol. I must say I do like the slight revisions you've made over the original challenge response, and here in HH, those 'can't use words' don't apply. Having said that, I'd like to see the words wilderness and/or trees incorporated into this - perhaps in the last line (Is this a Spensta?) since you've used forest already up in L2.

Now, for your title, I'm hoping you'll reconsider it - make it a bit more mysterious (tempt us to the thread with a unique title) - like Emerald Diatribe or something that doesn't say exactly what it is you're about to describe to us. My only comment is the closing line. Perhaps 'All woodland creatures' could work instead. I think it's this bit: 'hear that he is still' that I find could be stronger. Was there ever a question in their minds that he wasn't 'the bird'? Can you describe how they hear him differently? Food for thought.

Enjoyed the read,
~Cleo galadriel.gif

An emerald baldachin of springtime leaves
leaks sunray droplets to the forest floor, --Beautiful imagery
as pulpit for his verbal diatribe
down on the ground, a target found to jibe --I can picture it!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post May 5 08, 22:13
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Thank you for your replies, Ron, Lori.

And what a surprise/delight to see the picture as I thought it was no longer available. I have it saved with my work, and am trilled to see it here as well.

I began the rework shortly after the challenge was past, and had about half done, with the second half not wanting to fall into place. It was another challenge to look at it once more, and this time things seemed to come together. After my rather long absence, it was really good to go thru the reference books again, like old times.

There are weak spots, some I've already changed, and will review again. Thank you for the input, which coincides with those spots, where I'll reconsider. Yes, the title could be much better. Maybe this is a stepping stone for me.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post May 6 08, 05:51
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Eric, wizard2.gif

Oh, I keep all images that I own - some are my own, some are from software packages I've bought over the years, the latter being the case here.

Some of us here often take a fresh look at old poems, it's a way to spark the muse in a different direction sometimes, and might result in a new poem too. Idea.gif

Looking forward to see what you do with this one! Glad the Pandora challenge sparked the muse! cheer.gif

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post May 6 08, 22:38
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Just a quick note to say I've been by, and am considering tough-ups.
Greetings to all spiders out in the woods, too.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 7 08, 05:19
Post #7

Hi, Merlin,

I really enjoyed this and it fits the form very well - very visual.

An emerald baldachin of springtime leaves - loved 'baldachin' (new to me, thanks) and it sets up the 'pulpit' later.
leaks sunray droplets to the forest floor,
as pulpit for his verbal diatribe - this is my only nit with this, 'verbal diatribe' seems a tad redundant. Maybe 'royal to set up 'the bird'
down on the ground, a target found to jibe

Yours to use or lose of course, thank you for a wonderful read and the educational bonus.
Jim

Cleo_Serapis
post May 7 08, 05:41
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Oh - royal would be a great substitute there Merlin. smurf.gif

I agree with Jim that it would add more credence to 'the bird'.

Great stuff!
~Cleo Read.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post May 7 08, 18:45
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Thank you for added replies.

A great suggestion, Jim. Thx. I missed the fact of redundancy since I've had an extended break and am a little rusty.
The form is modified Spenserian Stanza. I couldn't come up with sufficient rhyme words, and then opted for less to make it more pleasant to read, as well as tossing a bit of slant-rhyme in.

Glad to see it's being accepted. I'll do a revised version soon.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Psyche
post May 8 08, 10:58
Post #10

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Merlin!

Here's a wee spider crawling out of the woods... Enjoyed your poem thoroughly, wish I could be in that picture, the real as well as the poetical one....LOL...

Good suggestions have already been made. I also prefer 'royal'.

I would like to see 'woodland dwellers' in the last line, maybe.

The word 'subject' seems to stand out a tad, in that sort of setting. Sounds too gramatical or even logical, dunno. Maybe 'rebel'?

All in all, an inspiration for me to start doing challenges once again! I used to...

Thx for sharing, and for fishing out oldies that can always be tweaked a little more.

Look forward to any revision you may decide on.
Cheers, Syl ***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 16:26

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: