Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> MM's IBPC Nomination Poll for Jun (Jul comp), Poll Closes on Jun 28th
MM's IBPC Nomination Poll for Jun (Jul comp)
Which poems do you choose, No. 1?
Hollowed Ground [ 4 ] ** [23.53%]
Finding My Way [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Faded Layers [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Water Wise [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Jeoffry [ 6 ] ** [35.29%]
The Flag [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Yet Unwritten [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
A Beckoning at Crater Lake [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Which poems do you choose, No. 2?
Hollowed Ground [ 5 ] ** [29.41%]
Finding My Way [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Water Wise [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Jeoffry [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
The Flag [ 3 ] ** [17.65%]
Yet Unwritten [ 4 ] ** [23.53%]
A Beckoning at Crater Lake [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Which poems do you choose, No. 3?
Hollowed Ground [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Finding My Way [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Water Wise [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Jeoffry [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
The Flag [ 4 ] ** [23.53%]
Yet Unwritten [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
A Beckoning at Crater Lake [ 5 ] ** [29.41%]
Total Votes: 17

AMETHYST
post Jun 7 07, 20:53
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hollowed Ground by Nada Lott

Along an eon-charted course
the river flows relentlessly
to carve a way through massive rock.
Its steady passage humbles me.

From rim to rim, these depths are but
a speck beneath the firmament
and I, beside them, apperceive
my smallness to its full extent.

For no appraiser stands prepared
to grasp the fathomless. Time wrought
a canyon; its Creator's mind
encompasses perfected thought.

I search my vocal repertoire,
superlatives exhausted. Now,
from parted lips that drip with awe
escapes a feeble, whispered, "Wow."

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
AMETHYST
post Jun 7 07, 21:04
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Stimulus: A fragment from Kit Smart's Jubilate Agno:

"For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.
For he is the servant of the Living God duly and daily serving him.
For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness.
For then he leaps up to catch the musk, which is the blessing of God upon his prayer.
For he rolls upon prank to work it in...."

Jeoffry

He is sleek unto himself,
blending onyx and brilliance.

Seven - that magic number -
seven times he wreaths
his agile frame to the East,
ascends on haunch hopes;
no more, no less.

Toward latent stars he arcs
in complementary prayer,
and sheaths his domain with
spindrifts of nature’s musk.

Friends frolic in the grassy knoll
to mark their place in society
then yield to his presence: exercising
their position in his kingdom.

He crouches low and slowly
advances amongst his
camouflaged backdrop;
a transient salutation
that shadows pranks of the day…

then quietly sneaks back
to the comfort of a cushy couch
and moons himself to sleep.

A god made unto himself,
he blends onyx and brilliance.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you very much Liz. dance.gif

I've just edited my revision here - hoping to receive more crits in the next few days. Permission is granted!

How exciting! kitty.gif

Cheers
~Cleo cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jun 7 07, 21:07
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

The Flag ... by Judi

The air is still, as though the earth has held its breath;
the tears that flow are triggered by the sound of guns.
Two soldiers fold a flag, for war has claimed a life,
which like a budding tree had barely just begun.

As parents hear the bugler play his final note,
the mother sighs, a grieving father holds her hand.
Nothing soothes the pain his loved ones still must reap,
a shiny medal in a box, his last command.

Friends shake their hands, not knowing what do or say,
The parents nod their heads and shake each hand in turn,
So difficult to leave him there, an only son,
who chose this life, and knew that he might not return.

Tomorrow, they will fold another flag up tight;
salute with guns that echo with staccato sound.
The Taps will play for one who'll walk the earth no more.
When will they see no victories are found in war?

Judith Labriola

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much for selecting my poem to be considered...it means a lot to me. I pull this one out every June, since I was born on "Flag Day" That flag stands for so much! Judi

This post has been edited by Cleo_Serapis: Jul 29 07, 08:06
Reason for edit: Revision posted

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Mary Boren
post Jun 16 07, 09:44
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 420
Referred By:Kathy Earsman

Permission granted. Thanks for the heads-up in Hermes, Lori.

Thank you, Liz! I didn't get a PM, but hereby give you carte blanche license to do anything you deem appropriate with anything I write. I've never entered contests or sought publication, so it's all fair game. This is the final version.

Mary

·······IPB·······

Mary Sullivan Boren
Connecting ... Even Yet
"There is in all things - a hidden wholeness." -Thomas Merton

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 20 07, 18:34
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

The time has arrived to choose the three poems that we'd like to represent MM in the July IBPC competition. I've set the poll up to allow you three votes (as separate questions) - the numbering rank does not matter in this POLL as we we net all cumulative votes from the three questions.

Please click on the reply that has the url's in the poem titles to re-read them all and then kindly select your three choices. PLEASE DO NOT CHOOSE THE SAME POEM THREE TIMES - please choose three different poems.

The three poems with the highest cumulative number of votes will be chosen. In the case of a tie, the staff of MM will break it with a separate poll.

Just a reminder that in all our POLLS, your votes will remain anonymous so PLEASE, DO cast your votes today! This poll will close on June 28th.

Artist.gif

The following poems have been nominated and 'accepted for nomination' by the authors for the July IBPC competition:

Hollowed Ground by Mary Sullivan Boren

Finding My Way by Susan Eckenrode

Faded Layers by Eira Needham

Water Wise by Mary Sullivan Boren

Jeoffry by Lorraine M Kanter

The Flag by Judith Anne Labriola

Yet Unwritten by Cathy Bollhoefer

A Beckoning at Crater Lake by Susan Eckenrode

Best of luck all.
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Jun 26 07, 12:53
Post #6

Greetings, Mary, wave.gif

Between here and New Mexico there is a huge canyon that is absolutely breath taking. The highway winds through it and I've had many a horn honked at me for driving so slowly while traversing this sacred place of beauty. But I think God would be offended if one did not pause even a little to appreciate his work.

You have captured the essence of my feelings while traveling down this road, even if it not the same canyon. Well Done! thumbsup.gif

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Jun 26 07, 13:20
Post #7

(((((Lori)))))

I love this one. What a beautiful interpretation. I especially like the stanza:

Toward latent stars he arcs
in complementary prayer,
and sheaths his domain with
spindrifts of nature’s musk.

Beautifully done! claps.gif

Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Jun 26 07, 13:23
Post #8

Greetings Judi, sun.gif

Saddly there is too much truth to your words. This was beautifully expressed! goodjob.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 27 07, 18:47
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hmmm - the last voter voted for the same poem all 3 times - please folks, do not do that - that isn't fair to the remaining poets.....

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 29 07, 05:00
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

This Poll is now closed. With the votes from the 17th voter, "Hollowed Ground" got 11 votes (from 8 previously), so "Hollowed Ground" technically should have 9 votes, not 11 and 2 other poems from the list should have 1 more vote. In any event, the numbers work out so that Hollowed Ground makes the top three anyway and adding one more vote to any other poem wouldn't change the top 3 spot.

Hollowed Ground [ 11 ] should be 9

Finding My Way [ 4 ]

Faded Layers [ 3 ]

Water Wise [ 3 ]

Jeoffry [ 8 ]

The Flag [ 9 ]

Yet Unwritten [ 6 ]

A Beckoning at Crater Lake [ 7 ]

Total Members: 17
Total Votes: 51

Congrats to the following poems and thanks to those who voted! PartyFavor.gif

Hollowed Ground by Nada Lott (Mary)

The Flag by Judi

Jeoffry by Cleo_Serapis (Lori)

Best of luck! hsdance.gif

~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 29 07, 05:03
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats Mary and good luck in the IBPC comp! cheer.gif

~Cleo Read.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 29 07, 05:04
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats Judi and best of luck in the IBPC comp! PartyFavor.gif

~Cleo hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 29 07, 05:06
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks so much Jackie! cheer.gif

I'm just thrilled - this one made the cut for going to IBPC this month. Whippee! dance.gif dance.gif

Cheers
~Cleo cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Judi
post Jun 29 07, 05:40
Post #14

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 427

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jun 29 07, 06:04 ) *
Congrats Judi and best of luck in the IBPC comp! PartyFavor.gif

~Cleo hsdance.gif

Oh Lori, I thank you for the opportunity to have this poem entered, and I also want to Congratulate you and Mary for also being entered too! It is times like this that are so
precious, I can't tell you what it means to me in words! ((((( group hug))))) Judi

PS. This is the final version of this poem...no further revisions!. Judi

·······IPB·······

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jun 29 07, 07:54
Post #15

Congratulations Judi! airborne.gif

Good luck in the next round~

Cathy

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jun 29 07, 07:59
Post #16

Congratulations Lori and good luck with IBPC! PartyFavor.gif

Cathy

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jun 29 07, 08:04
Post #17

Congratulations Mary and good luck in the next round of competition! PartyFavor.gif

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 29 07, 11:47
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you very much Cathy! This was such a fun piece to write (thanks to a flash stimulus).... Hide.gif

~Lori dance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jul 1 07, 17:26
Post #19

Ornate Oracle

Congratulations Lori,

I have very good feelings for this poem. As I think the strength in the final line is a winner. It explodes with the possibility of humankind, and is profound and contemplative.

Hugs, and Best of luck ... Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 1 07, 18:37
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you very much Liz!

I'm just coming up for air - airborne.gif - waky waly from a long nap I took when I got home this afternoon. Tomorrow's a BIG day at work. *sigh*

Let the weirdness begin! LOL.gif

You reminded me I've got to put together the IBPC email and send it off!

HUGS
Lori hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: