JaxMyth
post Jun 11 07, 21:01
Post #1

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 408
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:IBPC participant list

I have been offline due to some rather severe weather and flooding.

We have gone from full blown drought to flood almost overnight.

We have received over one third of our yearly average rainfall in two and a half days. Things are trifle damp.

The aftermath will have its downside as well.

Jax

·······IPB·······

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Kathy_*
post Jun 11 07, 21:10
Post #2

Oh Jax! You are caught in that! I'm assuming you and your family are OK. Hope you are! Are your horses safe?

Will any of that water be saved somewhere? I heard it will all go out to sea!

JaxMyth
post Jun 11 07, 21:41
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (Kathy @ Jun 12 07, 12:10 ) *
Oh Jax! You are caught in that! I'm assuming you and your family are OK. Hope you are! Are your horses safe?

Will any of that water be saved somewhere? I heard it will all go out to sea!

Hi Kathy,

We are in the middle of it. Luckily we are high and dry although we were a little isolated for a while. The farm is on a ridge that straddles the Hunter and Paterson River catchments. When the drought really started to bite, a couple of years ago, I sold off my bull and my cattle and downsized my breeding herd. Consequently, the erosion damage has been minimal although my internal roads are shot and will require some big expenditure.

The horses are all fine although I lost one of my best mares to a brown snake bite a few weeks ago, and because of the drought took me all day with an excavator as the clay came up as powder. Now...

All dams are all full and the sand-beds recharged, the prawns have been washed out to sea and the mulloway will be as full as the dams. Maybe later i will get a chance to wet a line *smile*

Regards,

Jax

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 12 07, 05:37
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Wow Jan.

I wish you all the best in the coming days and weeks. So sorry to hear to hear about this. Sad2.gif

Can the water be preserved?

Lori

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Jun 12 07, 07:03
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

Hi Jax~

Amazing to hear this account first hand. Thank you for letting us know. Hope you will be ok. Keep us posted. Australia is a bit like Africa, a country of extremes!

Good luck, and take care, back to 'normal' soon! ie. writing poetry etc...

PP

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post Jun 12 07, 18:29
Post #6

Oo-er. You have been through the mill. What a beautiful place for a farm, Jax, and hopefully things will be better, at least for a while. I am sorry about your mare. I know how much your animals mean to you. ohmy.gif

Will the Government assist you to rebuild your roads?

The land will be deeply wet, and fertilised by river mud. All the dams full. Good times, I hope. Fishing! Whoever would have thunk it, eh?

Fingers crossed for more rain around Brisbane. Our dams did get some of it. Enough for three days, apparently.

I am glad you and the things you love are safe, Jan.

Hugs,

K

JaxMyth
post Jun 13 07, 19:31
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jun 12 07, 20:37 ) *
Wow Jan.

I wish you all the best in the coming days and weeks. So sorry to hear to hear about this. Sad2.gif

Can the water be preserved?

Lori

The floods too are necessary for the well being of the land and the littoral zone. We stuff around with nature at our peril. When we attempt to change nature's regime things 'aft gang agley'.

There was interesting treatise that I read that was entitled "River of the Damned" The titles speaks volumes.

We have got off exceedingly lightly. There are 9 dead, many injured, many homeless, thousands still without power and a bloody great coal carrier stuck on Newcastle's major beach. The cost will run into the hundreds of millions eventually.

Regards,

Jan

·······IPB·······

JaxMyth
post Jun 13 07, 19:33
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (Peterpan @ Jun 12 07, 22:03 ) *
Hi Jax~

Amazing to hear this account first hand. Thank you for letting us know. Hope you will be ok. Keep us posted. Australia is a bit like Africa, a country of extremes!

PP

Hopefully.

We have quite a few South Africans the have emigrated here and they have told me that the similarities are quite remarkable.

Regards,

Jax

·······IPB·······

JaxMyth
post Jun 13 07, 19:42
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (Kathy @ Jun 13 07, 09:29 ) *
Oo-er. You have been through the mill. What a beautiful place for a farm, Jax, and hopefully things will be better, at least for a while. I am sorry about your mare. I know how much your animals mean to you. ohmy.gif

Will the Government assist you to rebuild your roads?

No that money will be needed elsewhere in the scheme of things ours is a minor loss.

The land will be deeply wet, and fertilised by river mud. All the dams full. Good times, I hope. Fishing! Whoever would have thunk it, eh?

Fertilised by mud only in the longer term, initially it turns the land sour. When the power went out the sewerage pumps could not work, the sewers surcharged and mixed with the flood waters massively increasing the risk of disease. The water pumps could not work so there was no gravity feed and thousands were isolated by contaminated floodwaters without drinking water and power.

Fingers crossed for more rain around Brisbane. Our dams did get some of it. Enough for three days, apparently.

You need it desperately, it goes to show though that we have sited our Cities in some of the worst places. I wish you water but may it be given a little more gradually than the water that we received. Newcastle's Anglican Bishop has a sense of humour. He was on the radio the other day saying, tongue in cheek, "Those of you praying for rain can now stop." *smile*

I am glad you and the things you love are safe, Jan.

Hugs,

K

Thanks Kathy,

take care,

Jax

·······IPB·······

AMETHYST
post Jun 14 07, 08:07
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Jax,

Glad to hear things are settling there. Be careful. If it is anything like Florida, you know that when we have a long time of drought and dry weather, the Hurricane season is roughest...

My thoughts will be with you! It's scary to see how fragile we are in the wake of Nature's hand ...

Best WIshes, Liz ...

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post Jun 14 07, 18:20
Post #11

I see there is more rain coming to your region, Jax. You will be in my thoughts.

Weather patterns have changed and rain no longer falls in our (Brisbane) catchment areas. These recent, unseasonal falls are welcome, but not in the deluge proportions that seem to have become the new 'norm.' Brisbane has not got facilities to save it, and neither did the folks up north, I understand. It caused huge damage and went out to sea.

The local dam at Maleny, (where I now live,) has water, but pipes are being laid to steal it for the city. I am installing a tank.

Best wishes to you, Jax.

K

JaxMyth
post Jun 26 07, 19:26
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Jun 14 07, 23:07 ) *
Hi Jax,

Glad to hear things are settling there. Be careful. If it is anything like Florida, you know that when we have a long time of drought and dry weather, the Hurricane season is roughest...

My thoughts will be with you! It's scary to see how fragile we are in the wake of Nature's hand ...

Best WIshes, Liz ...

It is surely the truth, Liz.

As one of Australia's best loved poets, Dorothea Mackellar put it in a stanza from her best known poem:

"
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!"

Many thanks and regards,

Jax

·······IPB·······

JaxMyth
post Jun 26 07, 19:30
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

QUOTE (Kathy @ Jun 15 07, 09:20 ) *
I see there is more rain coming to your region, Jax. You will be in my thoughts.

Weather patterns have changed and rain no longer falls in our (Brisbane) catchment areas. These recent, unseasonal falls are welcome, but not in the deluge proportions that seem to have become the new 'norm.' Brisbane has not got facilities to save it, and neither did the folks up north, I understand. It caused huge damage and went out to sea.

The local dam at Maleny, (where I now live,) has water, but pipes are being laid to steal it for the city. I am installing a tank.

Best wishes to you, Jax.

K

Install as many tanks as you can afford Kathy I have four on the house and three on the farmstay cabins and am putting more on the stables. Concrete tanks are the best. The poor buggers in Gippsland and down the South Coast here are copping a hammering now. A friend at Newcastle Uni who has math modeled the Hunter weather patterns predicted this big wet last year

Take care,

Jax

·······IPB·······

Peterpan
post Jun 27 07, 01:48
Post #14

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

QUOTE (JaxMyth @ Jun 14 07, 02:33 ) *
QUOTE (Peterpan @ Jun 12 07, 22:03 ) *
Hi Jax~

PP

Hopefully.

We have quite a few South Africans the have emigrated here and they have told me that the similarities are quite remarkable.

Regards,

Jax

Hi Jax

It snowed here last night!!!!

Bev

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

JaxMyth
post Jun 27 07, 06:35
Post #15

Creative Chieftain

Things are weird, we get snow on the Barringtons at this time of year but they are a lot higher than our farm, yet at Lochinvar which is some 10 kms away as the crow flies and lower than us got sleet a week ago with the occasional snow flurry.

Jax

·······IPB·······

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:54

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: