IPB
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> *DONE* Planned Forums Outage 1/17/05
Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 17 05, 12:45
Post #21

Peter,

You should get a job in IT. (Or maybe you have).

Anyway, I ran a 70-pc network in a school for a while. We had crashing problems and the chaps who came in (big salaries) were fairly hopeless. Eventually we set-up remote-control (i.e. from their offices about 100 miles away) and that worked because the technicians could keep referring-up until someone quite senior could be found who knew what they were doing.

The cost of our server was a whopping £13,000* (this was about four years ago) - it was set up as raid 1, running MS Win NT 4. And the cost of the service contract a lot (I never found out precisely how much). [* = about $20,000 US then].

I know your set-up can't be cheap but I'd give you the contract.

Yes UPS are great but the standard seems to be 20-30 mins to allow safe (i.e. no database crash) shutdown. Two hours' up-time will be very expensive I'd have thought - unless the technology has crashed in price ?

Of course, what you're doing is a little unusual - most people use servers at their ISP. I think it's fascinating, though.

Oh yes, covers... I never seem to run PCs with covers on - ever since my fan stopped and fried my chips. (The detection system worked but the shut-down failed and I was not present). Like to see how it whizzes round. So it takes in dust and has a shorter life. Oh well.

Thanks again and the info was most interesting.

James.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 17 05, 18:31
Post #22

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

LOL.gif James!

I  think this may have happened when you were away BUT...

We DID host the site with a hosting company (Jarvis back then) and the quality and service was simply unacceptable. I have some old tiles around here somewhere about our dissactisfaction with them and then we switched to another host company Apollo (fitting name) - same monthly rates.... After about six months with Apollo, we had some issues with the sql side of the forum and website and we were competing on their servers with another much larger company that was using up more of the code than they could handle and it started slowing down the load time, posting speed etc......

SO....

We decided that since I had changed our home static page design to the more professional layout with much more dynamic images etc... we would try to rectify the problem by splitting our site into two - Peter did the fork off with the forum board to our own server and I kept the home pages with Apollo. Now that we only have the home pages with them, the pipeline is so much faster!  :dance:

It's really like maintaining two sites, but it seems to be working, and we are learning a great deal in the process too...

At some point when the forum board gets too large, we will need to find a new host, but not yet....

Cheers!
Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 17 05, 18:48
Post #23

Hi Lori,

Thanks for that - most interesting.

Given your experience, though, why would you want to return to a hosting firm? Are you concerned about the bandwidth you can handle (I assume you must be using cable T1 or somesuch? Because the server capacity per sey is not an issue, surely?

I had noted that, in effect, MM was two websites - as the "frontside" was unaffected by the recent down-times.

Internesting, thanks again.

James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 17 05, 19:04
Post #24

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Yes James - we use a T1 line here (and how sweet it is)!  lovie.gif  dance.gif One can get spoiled very quickly with a T1 connection!  sun.gif

Eventually, the bandwidth will become an issue (but not yet)! We are the only site on our server (the forum). wolf.gif

So, I trust you went into the home page and popped off a few magnet poetry poems then? Idea.gif

No????

I know..... you went in and did some of the story starters?

No????

Eyyyyyeeeeeeeeee Pirate.gif parrot.gif

How about a nice game of chess?  detective.gif

Ummmmmmm....

DId you catch Imhoteps's expression up there, "plug-n-pray"?  oops.gif  upside.gif  wink.gif  wink.gif

He plugged the new thingies in and prayed they'd work! LOL.gif

Oh boy - Mondays.....

sings.gif  king.gif  wave.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 17 05, 19:22
Post #25

Hi Lori,

Thanks.

We have no cable connection here - and we are unlikely ever to get one... too far away from civilization!

I did notice Peter's expression; I was amused. I tend to get through keyboards I'm afraid. (When plug doesn't work and I don't pray, I thump keyboards). Latest keyboard installed late week. (Though that was because the letters had been eroded by use - and I'd only had it three months since I smashed its predecessor. Oh well.

No I didn't do any of the challenges but thanks for the offer. I'm working on an extended prose work and was busy with that. And walking the dogs. And the housework. And I tried that challenge with orange in (ten words) but it's not good enough yet.

What do you do about backing-up your writing? This is, perhaps, an issue I should raise elsewhere but whilst we're here... what do you do? I was chatting with someone else about this and they use those memory sticks (flash memory). They are excellent but if the house sets on fire they may be lost. ??

Cheers, James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 17 05, 19:38
Post #26

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Do you mean my own work? I have a portable hard drive that sits nicely on top of my tower. All I do (or Peter does for me) is back-up my pc onto this portable hard drive. grinning.gif If you are asking about MM - then we do a  back up every so often there too.... but now with the new RAID installation, this should make things easy as far as the forum goes......

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 17 05, 19:52
Post #27

No, I did mean you personally.

But that doesn't get over the problem of the house having a fire - the disc might be ruined. That's what's always obsessed me. In many ways, MM matters less because you could get it up and running again and people have a duty to keep copies of their own work anyway.

I used to do all sorts of things - take / send friends regular CDs of my work (I keep it all in RTF so it is quite small. Then I tried flash sticks but they risked the same fire problem. Then I e-mailed files to people. Now, I'm using a back-up firm. I can back up any time of day, as often as I wish (plus there is an automated BuP daily, anyway). It is then saved on their raid-systems in two different geographical locations. Call me paranoid? :)

James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:09

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: