post Nov 11 07, 16:25
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

I'd like to nominate Merlin's poem, Northland Solstice for it's masterful form and imagery.

Good luck!
~Lori xmas.gif

Northland Solstice

Snow lay deep that cold December
on my Dawson City home,
shrouding mountains, lakes and rivers
far and wide, including Nome.

Not much moved; our world was frozen
from Old Crow to Watson Lake.
Even ravens had forsaken
this harsh land, for pity’s sake.

Darkness dwelled; it stopped and dallied,
swallowed up the midnight sun.
How I cursed this devil northland
and its grip I couldn’t shun.

Came the day I went out walking;
all was quiet, skies pale blue;
in the woods, those white-clad pine trees
sparkled like old Manitou.

Could it be that I heard carols
coming from those soundless hills?
Solstice in this frigid northland
spells more, brighter winter chills.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 11 07, 16:27
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello, Judi has asked to nominate Michelle's poem, The Lore of the Rings for the IBPC.

The Lore of the Rings by Michelle

The sapling’s breached the fallen season’s womb
and climbs above our quilted sacrifice;
the future rises from a winter tomb.

The sunshine bathes my limbs; I want to bask.
The wind’s caressing fingers tickle me
and droplets freely fall from heaven’s flask.
Green shoots and pithy trunk: I am a tree

Though spring traverses softly- hurls no ice
to thwart the sapling’s vim or test his sap,
let’s share a shady branch of wise advice.

a tree, a tree, a tree, a pillar bound
to touch the vaulted sky, deliberate
with clouds and house the birds that flit around
this grove. I need no guidance- life is great.

While summer aims to sear our leaves and zap
our vigor, gusts of autumn crook our boughs
and sudden blizzards force a winter’s nap.

I bow to know my brother’s shadow in
the August drought. I dodge the gales behind
a massive trunk. As elder trees begin
to draw their sap to earth, I match my kind.

Our sapling hears as ancient groans espouse
the wisdom found in bands of weathered rings
and hidden pools our deepest roots can dowse.

A tree must learn the lessons trees accrue
to scale the zenith held in cloud and blue.

To reach the height of noble wooded kings,
the sprout must tap the wells of deepest springs.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 11 07, 16:39
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I'd like to nominate Time Gone Cold by Aphrodite. It is a poignant piece that pulls at one's heartstrings in a straight-forward, gentle way and uses the params of the form wonderfully.

Good luck!
~Lori hersheyskiss.gif

Time Gone Cold by Linda Balboni

The time has gone, my heart’s grown cold,

I miss your love and stories told,

your smiling face, like golden dawn,

my heart’s grown cold, the time has gone.

Our talks at night, your gentle voice

to spill my soul, your ears, my choice,

dear dad, your laughter made things right,

your gentle voice, our talks at night.

How deep the ache through tearful eyes,

to know you’ve left, can’t share our ties,

a plan from God, your soul to take,

through tearful eyes, how deep the ache..

For all my life, I will believe

your presence guides me, yet I grieve

for you to be here; end my strife,

I will believe, for all my life.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Aphrodite
post Nov 13 07, 16:30
Post #4

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 7
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for nominating my poem. You are very kind to do so.
I truly appreciate it, and so does my Dad! butterfly.gif

Have a great evening!

Take care.

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 13 07, 21:10
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

This is a special poem Lindi.

kiss.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 17 07, 08:13
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I would like to nominate Liz's poem, Life's Writings. This is a freshly creative piece filled with wonderful word choices and a consistent theme/metaphor to writing.

Good luck!

Life's Writings by Elizabeth DiBennedetto

You and she sit
like strangers
in quiet ignorance; tears
soaking the soil
of a fruitless future,
seeding more distance
than life should allow.

You greet each other
when the day is done
with indistinct nods
of discontent.

Dinner is nipped, then sipped slowly,
to avoid the solitude of terse verse
at evenings end.

Yet, our time spent
is a poetic opus --
short versed, yet inspiring.
Together, we create
life's sonnets, as I arouse
those private places
where your muse hides from view,
you become my volta-

And still, you live together, alone,
writing your life in chapters.
Why then, if I’m your blood's rush
and she your heart's despair,
am I a one page poem--and she, your novel?

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 18 07, 08:28
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Unfortunately, Life's Writings has been published previously. However, not at the present revision which Liz happens to like much more. I don't think it is eligible for IBPC and I never heard back from them about revisied versions of previously published works so to be safe, we should not include this in our polling.

BUMMER! sad.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 18 07, 10:07
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I'd like to nominate Sue's poem, A Day for Thanks for its timely message, we should all re-read.

Good luck!
~Cleo

A Day for Thanks by Susan Eckenrode

We set aside a day to show we’re thankful
for gifts we take for granted. We declare
our gratefulness to God in thoughtful prayer
and then proceed to gorge until the tank’s full.
We gobble turkey meat, delicious dressings,
and mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie. Cliche
or family tradition? Either way,
I wonder do we truly note our blessings?

Though some appear more fortunate than others,
most all are graced by goodness in their lives *
and only need to look where love survives
and overflows. Abundance sometimes smothers
gratitude, wherein awaits a seed--
ignored or sown for all who are in need.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Michelle
post Nov 27 07, 11:07
Post #9

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 29
Writer of: Poetry

Thanks so much Judi for the nomination. I'm sorry to be so long away. I've revised the poem and am in the process of revising again. Your confidence in the merit of my poem is truly an honor. I am respectfully declining this work for IBPC. I don't think it would fare well there.

I'd like to thank those that commented on this one also. I really don't want to bring the poem back up to top of the forum by responding to it.

Now Cleo, you can let this one go to the bottom and not clog up the current contenders.

Thank you again Judi,

Michelle

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 27 07, 12:38
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Michelle for your response!

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 14:17

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: