Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

CINQUAIN:  From the French, meaning "a grouping of five."  

The Cinquain has five lines of two, four, six, eight, and two syllables, respectively, with a total syllabic count of 22.

The cinquain should have no more than two full sentences.

The Handbook of Poetic Forms suggests:  Do not add words to fill out this form; write with feeling, but do not allow your writing to become cloyingly sweet; build toward a climax and put a surprise into your last two lines.  Rather than parts of speech, be concerned with thoughts and images.

The cinquain came to popularity by Adelaide Crapsy, who devised the form back in the early 1900's. She was so influenced by the Japanese forms, tanka and haiku, that she developed her own poetic system which she then called cinquain.

The most famous of the few Crapsy cinquains from her The Complete Poems is:

TRIAD

These be
Three silent things:
The falling snow... the hour
Before the dawn... the mouth of one
Just dead.

Cinquains, though they have never become very popular, have always attracted a number of poets who are still developing the form.

Why not try your own here in this thread! Come on! We dare you!  cool.gif  :p

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
AMETHYST
post Aug 3 03, 11:09
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

WITH WINGS
HIS FATHER MADE
USING FEATHERS AND WAX
HE TOOK FLIGHT TOWARD THE SUNLIGHT.
MELTED!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 3 03, 11:11
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Quote  Cleo

Friendships:
blossoming love,
nurturing bonds to last
lifetimes. Surround yourself with friends
and grow.

A wonderful example of a cinquain, Lori ~ it truly holds the key to a happy life as well... with friends on line and off we are never alone! wink.gif

We grow
in spirit, mind
and heart, when we sow seeds
of trust...honesty and true worth ~
friendships!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 3 03, 10:33
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

WELCOME TO THE CINQUAIN CHALLENGE, WHERE YOU CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO USE YOUR WORDS WISELY...

A CINQUAIN IS ONE OF THE POETIC FORMS THAT USES SET RULES.

THE RULES ARE:
5 LINES WITH A SET SYLLABLE COUNT.
LINE 1: 2 SYLLABLES
LINE 2: 4 SYLLABLES
LINE 3: 6 SYLLABLES
LINE 4: 8 SYLLABLES
LINE 5: 2 SYLLABLES

ALTHOUGH YOU CAN BE AS CREATIVE AS YOU DESIRE...THERE ARE VARIATIONS ON SOME GUIDELINES.

YOUR ENDING LINE MIGHT BE A PLAY ON THE FIRST LINE TO SUM UP THE POEM. YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY IT USING A SET METER OR RHYME SCHEME. THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO GROW WITH CINQUAINS TO HELP YOU EXERCISE OTHER POETIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES. ENJOY YOUR FLIGHT AND PERHAPS WE MIGHT EVEN TOUCH THE SUN~

EXAMPLE:

WITH WINGS
HIS FATHER MADE
USING FEATHERS AND WAX
HE TOOK FLIGHT TOWARD THE SUNLIGHT.
MELTED!

OK THAT'S NOT TOO GOOD BUT GIVE IT A TRY:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 3 03, 10:40
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Amethyst! :)

I LOVE a challenge!  blush.gif

OK here goes:

Friendships:
blossoming love,
nurturing bonds to last
and grow.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 3 03, 11:02
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Friendships:
blossoming love,
nurturing bonds to last
and grow.

A wonderful example of a cinquain, Lori ~ it truly holds the key to a happy life as well... with friends on line and off we are never alone! wink.gif

We grow
in spirit, mind
friendships!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 3 03, 10:12
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Rose Buds;
petals unwrap
frangrant bouquets of life
revealing beautiful treasures
within.

Angels;
behest His love.
Seldom seen, always felt,
everlasting serenity.
Guide us.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 3 03, 11:27
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Liz...I know this is a pain and I'm working on a resolution...

BUT if you'd like to center your text...

Use < > and put the word center inside followed by the /center <> inside as well...

Cheers!
Lori ???  ???

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 3 03, 11:29
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Aug. 03 2003, 11:02)

We grow
in spirit, mind
friendships!

Thanks Liz!  :)

What an awesome response here you've posted as well! I love the theme here we've started in this thread thus far!  :love:

Hugs..

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 21 03, 05:20
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

JackBox.gif  :juggle:

Daybreak.
Wakens creatures
to it's gleaming landscapes.
Reminding us to find Beauty
in all.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 03, 05:05
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

to youse used ewes:

Two ewes
commiserate
about a bygone ram –
on all the things he couldn’t give
a dam.

© Daniel J Ricketts 14 Oct 2003

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 16 03, 21:24
Post #12

Dear Daniel

Another derlicious joke from you, but not a cinquain !

Two ewes 2
commiserate 4
about bygone ram – 5 only - make it "about their bygone ram" ?
a dam.

Love
Alan

JustDaniel
post Oct 17 03, 11:01
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 16 2003, 21:24)
Dear Daniel

Another derlicious joke from you, but not a cinquain !

Two ewes 2
commiserate 4
about bygone ram – 5 only - make it "about their bygone ram" ?
a dam.

Love
Alan

Dear Alan,

Do please remember that this is an exercise forum, and in such a place we play with and experiment with the form.  You'll easily see that my CINQUAIN simply fell victim to a typo.  Kindly leave room for that, rather than declaring it not to BE a cinquain?  Fair enough?

Ever seen a cinquain train.  Why not write one beginning with the last two syllables of the last one posted.  It's great practice.  

Here is an example (including the correction of the typo):

Two ewes
commiserate
about a bygone ram –
a dam

© Daniel J Ricketts 14 Oct 2003

A dam
( Song says it’s so! )
cannot so long withstand
against one optimistic ram
Eye’m butt!

I’m but
a silly bard
who mayhaps should be barred
from writing out his silliness
like this.

Like this?
Then add cinquain
or even two or three:
begin yours with the final word
of mine.

© Daniel J Ricketts 16 Oct 2003

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 17 03, 12:37
Post #14

Dear Daniel

Sorry, don't understand. What was the typo ?

I was, while admiring the content, pointing out that the one rule that exists for the cinquain, the 2,3,6,8,2, was breached. I also offered a solution which was very close to the one you took.

Didn't mean to "miff" you. Look at the total number of my posts on yours and you will see that I am a fervent admirer !

Love
Alan

Michelle
post Oct 25 03, 04:14
Post #15

Greek

Member No.: 29

Hey Daniel,

I miss your presence here.
And you've left a dandy
last line to start.  lol

Ok, here goes,

Of mine
and yours, the world
turns blue with jealousy,
for it offers nothing better
than us.

·······IPB·······

JustDaniel
post Oct 25 03, 05:54
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:37)
Dear Daniel

Sorry, don't understand. What was the typo ?

[ I'd simply left out the 'a' ! ]

I was, while admiring the content, pointing out that the one rule that exists for the cinquain, the 2,3,6,8,2, was breached. I also offered a solution which was very close to the one you took.

[ Now, Alan, see how easy it is to make a typo?  I'm certainly not going to 'correct' you by telling you that your cinquain rules are wrong.  You just nade a simple typo!  I know that you meant 4, not 3 for the second line, right?  *smile* ]

Didn't mean to "miff" you. [You didn't!  I was just reminding you a courtesy, my friend.  *smile* ] Look at the total number of my posts on yours and you will see that I am a fervent admirer !

[ I've been pressed for time of late and cannot be much in the critique forums as I'd like.  I have so much to do in 'real life' before my December operation. I miss participating there! ]

Love
Alan

Blessings to ewe and Iore's *smile*
deLightedly, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 25 03, 06:15
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Michelle @ Oct. 25 2003, 04:14)
Hey Daniel,

I miss your presence here.
And you've left a dandy
last line to start.  lol

[ Some lines are connected to sinkers! ]

Ok, here goes,

Of mine
and yours, the world
turns blue with jealousy,
for it offers nothing better
than us.

[ Your closer is a bit tough too! ]

Thunnus —
takes a genus
to scale off its meaning,
but opens no can of worms — just
tuna!

© Daniel J Ricketts 25 Oct 2003

sLightly fishy, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Michelle
post Oct 25 03, 18:40
Post #18

Greek

Member No.: 29

Ahhh Daniel,

I knew you could do it!  lol
and with such ingenuity!
(you must come from the Great NW - teehee)

Okay, I won't leave such a horrible last line
this time.  

Tuna?
The cactus pear
or albacore delight?
A prickly touch or succulent
sandwich?

·······IPB·······

Guest__*
post Oct 25 03, 19:27
Post #19

DINNER TIME

Sandwich
course provides lunch.
Then dinner's set for six,
even though there are just the two
of us .....

(based on an old Spike Milligan joke)

Alan McAlpine Douglas

JustDaniel
post Oct 26 03, 15:28
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Hey, Alan!  I've just composed this one to segue into the second one that I wanted to post here: Juggle.gif
of us
who might you think
would be most difficult
when all has been said and done to
fathom

Now for the second one:
fathom
pro fun ditty
with arms outstretched six feet
and you’ll embrace hexameter
I’mb tolled

© Daniel J Ricketts 26 Oct 2003

fadin' in de Light, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

135 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:11

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: