Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poetic Challenge using Frost's "The Road Not Taken", Join in!
Larry
post Feb 3 10, 00:46
Post #21

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Merlin,

I read your Trebor Tsorf post in Herman's House and had to add my voice to your concerns and suggestions about participation and the paucity of critiques, etc. that have (graced?) this fine site in recent weeks. I find it alarming that no more than 15-20 or so members have put out about 75% of the postings. Where is everyone?

Why don't we start another thread with one more Frost poem?

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 3 10, 06:36
Post #22

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

I'm not sure what's happened - it's been in a down swing for some time (more than a year). I do not know what can be done to attract more critters, so ideas are always welcome. I used tocrit virtually almost every post the first 3 or so years of MM (2003-2006) but I've had other "life events" taking up my free time. I sure hope things turn around. One thing I can say is that this was never meant to be a "vanity" site - Critiques have always been the end goal - to better our appreciation for the poetic art.

Sure - I can start another thread for Frost... Give me a few days... writersblock.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Feb 3 10, 09:14
Post #23

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

Trebor Tsorf Sedir Niaga

A small notation makes substantial difference:
an indication what a passerby
can leave as his* retort. Critique? Not I.
I’ve done my share for many years, and hence
have had my fill to where I often sigh.

Fair play is scratch the other fella’s back
since he itched yours upstairs, and thataway
most fleas are gone until another day
when YIKES! they’re there in droves, all shiny black.
Get out your cape; the crowds now shout “O-Lay.”

Some sites have common taters, each the same
and all replies are standard over there.
Each poem is praised like flannel underwear
altho in truth, some don’t deserve such claim.
Yet all in all, I reckon fair is fair.

I ponder what’s inside this undergrowth –
a cagey fox or chanticleer that could
make sense of things so all is understood,
or let confusion rain, or maybe both?
Confucius say it’s nice in rainy wood!

* Masculine includes feminine.

·······IPB·······

Merlin
post Feb 3 10, 09:34
Post #24

Ornate Oracle

Hi Larry, Lori, et al.

MM is not unique in declined participation. I only look at a handful of sites, and all but one are almost comatose. Indeed, some are completely so. Even high profile sites like Sonnet Central have 1 or 2 postings a day, if that. Folks have simply wandered to other things, and Facebook is high on that list.

What my suggestion is - combine the 2 forums, Herman & Pluto (even toss in Sarah, why not?) into 1 with a tag stating a desire for critique. That can be done by simply using C&C (or other like CR vs NC) beside the title, or a star, or a series of stars if light, medium, & full is instituted. The best mark can be applied as per any or all wishes. This way, whoever wishes critique can request it, and any not desiring any will not get any. This way, a person need not feel compelled to thoroughly parse a piece, which may be well beyond his/her capabilities at the stage they might be. Personally, I've done critique for long enough that I no longer have an appetite for both giving and getting. I'm not interested, and in fairness, limit my participation in Herman's and why bother with Pluto when nobody visits. Check the dates of last posts. (btw, pointing out a typo ought not be considered crit.)

My suggestion does not take away workshopping. I'm all in favor of improvement and recommend it to those who feel they can benefit. I'm offering a choice to crit or not to crit. Our old site, now long gone, had such a system and it worked remarkably well. There was no need for the overwhelming number of different forums to find ones way thru - and personally, I only ever go to 1 or 2.

There tis.

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 3 10, 12:07
Post #25

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Eric, wizard2.gif

I am in favor of your idea. We're short on mods though so I'm not sure if the process of confirming the 1:2:2 rule would pose any further challenges (post today, wait a day, offer feedback on 2 posts then rinse and repeat). I don't think so because we'd still be looking for 2 responses for each new post per member. We'd need to make it clear that each post would require a "to crit or not to crit" notation (either in the title as you suggest or in the beginning of the post itself). I actually received a 'friend' request this morning from Facebook from a former PK poet: Reaper696 (Scott). I've already friended a few other poets from the old PK forum as well: The PoetLoriet (Lori), MissLuckyPenny (Poppy), ROTTS69 (Cary) which is FUN to interact with them even if only at a personal level and not for writing! I see that Sonnet Central has their own "group" there too. YES, a few of our members Facebook on Farmville and the Zoo I think. It can be VERY TIME ABSORBING. LOL.gif

We've also been tossing the idea around among the staff of further defining the desired critique level, i.e. moderate or concentrated/intensive like we had back before splitting apart R&M, FV and Short Forms. I have been reserved in creating any more forums as we already have so many.

Let's see what others think. I don;t think it's too complicated to move posts from one forum to another but I may want to move some to the archive forum and re-date the forum name accordingly, but I'm getting ahead of my thoughts. running.gif

Cheers,
Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Feb 3 10, 12:22
Post #26

Ornate Oracle

Excellent, Lori.
Dialog is certainly a good thing, and as in brainstorming, the best route is the road to travel, as RF might have noted.

You're getting another Frosty ready? I'm not dun with this wun!

Since getting a new black cartridge for my printer, strange things are happening. Should you spot any typos, by all means, let me know!

Protons, Neutrons, and Morons!

Does porper sellping really make a difference
or can you sgarp the words now machring by
if they are smacrbled gges? Did you and I
waste time in slooch by nearling tense and hence
let out a mona, or eahve a holepess sigh?

But now terhe ain’t no wya of going back
since most of us avhe stol schloastic way
and d’not intend reevrting to tath day
wehn chalk was whiet on geern boards (once called black)
was wereh the techear wrote dwon lie and lay.

Waht’s hared and sene is foten not the same –
Bagosh, their’s they’re and thar and there,
then wheer oh ware to hang our twiner wear
when surmem comes along to steak a claim?
I sak oyu all – d’ya think tath such is fair?

I gotta go and ritm eht undergrowth…
a lleitt off the top pealse, if oyu could.
to ffuser lerong where I danst or stood
mitgh be nagaist the wal, or maybe both
and I shlla go and heid in welloy wood.

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 3 10, 12:44
Post #27

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

That's OK - these threads can stay on page 1 if y'all keep replyin'... laugh.gif

Does proper spelling really make a difference
or can you grasp the words now marching by
if they are scrambled eggs? Did you and I
waste time in school by learning tense and hence
let out a moan, or heave a hopelss sigh?

running.gif fishing.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 3 10, 17:26
Post #28

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

You gentlefolks persuaded me today
to fling this silly set of words array.

Deuced RF!

I sculpted true on fossil wood
my virtues two, convinced that both
were godly traits and as things stood,
I was a saint. In truth I could
discard my script to undergrowth,

but thought it proper, truly fair,
to hasten whence sainthood one claims.
- I’ll surely a monk’s habit wear
to get myself from here to there;
a pair of jeans is not the same

to gatecrash conclaves planned to lay
one’s claim to fame in Bible black.
To Rome I travelled on that day,
- Please Lucifer don’t veil my way!
My boss on Monday wants me back.

St. Peter’s staircase seemed to sigh,
querying my sense to speed hence.
The Pope’s benign wave – More fool I!
Poets and scribblers are sinners by
decree – Indexed! Sad difference.

Missed my deadline, book’s on standby…

© Sylvia Evelyn, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2010.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 3 10, 17:47
Post #29

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

I'm absolutely overwhelmed by Merlin, Larry and Leo's answers to this challenge! Mind-boggling...

And I bet it takes you people about 5 mins to dash off one of these, whereas I struggle helplessly against the tide of inadequacy that floods my wobbly mind.

Merlin, I used to know The Jabberwocky by heart as a child, so at least I can say that your simple mix of letters doesn't flummox me...LOL....And there's always an e.mail going the rounds with scrambled eggs...oops, letters, sorry...And I understand it perfectly!

That's all I can say in my defense. My poem's got 8 syll Ls, but the metre is all haywire...

A humble offering in the midst of excellence....cheery bye, as Brits say!

Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 3 10, 18:05
Post #30

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Larry, your poem about Haiti also touched me tremendously. It's so well expressed and I agree with Lori that you should move it to the critique forum for everyone to enjoy. That is, where is everyone?

What annoys me is when newbies post stuff and then don't even say thank you for the comments.

Back to Haiti: the immediate situation is horrifying, but there's a very long story behind the present catastrophe. The people have been exploited for centuries by everybody, for which reason nothing is in place to deal with nature's caprices. There exist many preventive and/or pre-arranged shelters, food storage systems, etc etc which have helped populations in more developped countries.

Since Haiti, we've had 8 or 9 fairly important tremors in areas of Argentina, on the 3 to 4 scale. Scary...
Also disasters in Peru and elsewhere.

Congrats on your deeply moving poem.

Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Feb 3 10, 19:32
Post #31

Creative Chieftain

Thanks Merlin, Lori & Syl,

This is such an enjoyable challenge and with the end rhymes already in place, it's sort of a fill in the blanks.
Whatever mood one finds himself/herself in can, with a little thought, be written down in just about any meter one wants.

Syl, don't worry about your 8 syllable "Deuced RF". Bob's was done with 9 and was difficult to emulate with metrical similarity. That is why I, and probably Eric, went to IP. I thoroughly enjoyed your little visit to Rome. Try "scribes" in S4L4. It evens out the bump from "scribblers" in that line. Don't denigrate your capable mind and hands for you have sculpted a very nice tribute to RF.

Lori, I'll try to keep them coming; if for no other reason than my muse is currently hibernating or possibly comatose. I like Merlin's and your suggestions about possible site improvements/changes. You'd get my vote if I had one to offer.

Merlin, what can I say but WOW! I have loved each and every one and look forward to the next. Here is once more into the "Frosty' waters.

Seaside Chagrin

She lay upon a beach chair made of wood
to bask and tan, or wade; or maybe both
while I was too embarrassed if I stood
up in the surf. The waves did what they could
and stole my suit. With seaweed undergrowth

I hid my private parts, both foul and fair
for body building never was my claim.
The ocean gave me something I could wear
to get back to my car. It’s parked up there
above the water line. This is the same

as once before; I recognize the lay
of this shore where the lava rock is black.
That suit has never turned up to this day
so I guess this one also found its way
to far off shores. They’re never coming back.

I slipped into my car and breathed a sigh
of great relief, then swore an oath that hence-
forth I’d refrain from ocean swims and I
would use the pool behind my house. Thereby
reducing riptide’s crass indifference.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 3 10, 19:53
Post #32

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

BRAVO Sylvia!!! claps.gif I really enjoyed your trip to Rome! Pssst, I fancy the 8 sylls also! I'm going to try and write a response - you all make it look so easy!

Larry, your muse is not comatose [ you're on a roll - birthday suits beware!!!! (but mine certainly is - hit the 1 year mark this week), hard to believe. Wall.gif On a positive note, I've taken up my notebook of the novel ideas I had been working on last year - started to further develop my outline and further chapter one. There's hope in this here mind o' imagination of mine... I inspired and have a great support system now too.

Anywho - I'm probably gonna go post the Feb Pandora challenge and then go offline to see if I can get the first stanza of this challenge written. Once I get the first one down, the rest usually falls into place... Let's hope so! upside.gif

Be back!
~Cleo running.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 3 10, 20:43
Post #33

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I want to post this before I lose my train of thought - only the first stanza so far... Read.gif I'm psyched to have written something new! YAY!!! dance.gif sings.gif hsdance.gif

Nether Wood

We searched the nucleus of Nether Wood
to catch a glimpse of Father Sky where both
the sun and moon ensnare our days. He stood
betwixt the hands of dawn! O how he could
lay tribulations ‘neath the undergrowth!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Feb 4 10, 22:06
Post #34

Ornate Oracle

I must add my note of congratulations to all participants. Twas brillig, one might say.

Syl, not to concern over line length. My first ones on P1 are deliberately different, and RF himself didn't really hold strict meter, so it would be a task to duplicate his.

Ya dun good.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 5 10, 06:45
Post #35

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I have to get back to my poetic effort, LOL.gif!

Since ya'll like this one - next challenge - use the FIRST word in each line of RF's poem here... DOUBLE challenge - use BOTH first and last words of the lines...

Good luck! I'll be watching! cyclops.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 5 10, 06:46
Post #36

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

One could even flip the stanzas backwards and start your responses with last stanza's end words and work your way up (or would it be down?), lol! airborne.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Feb 5 10, 19:47
Post #37

Ornate Oracle

....hmmmmmm.
would that be starting with "difference" and ending with "wood"?

Now why didn't I think of that!?

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 6 10, 10:02
Post #38

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Why YES! Idea.gif O wizzie! wizard2.gif

difference/by/I/hence/sigh

back/way/day/black/lay

same/there/wear/claim/fair

undergrowth/could/stood/both/wood

highfive.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Feb 7 10, 15:46
Post #39

Creative Chieftain

Okay Lori,

This is in answer to your double challenge:

Since ya'll like this one - next challenge - use the FIRST word in each line of RF's poem here... DOUBLE challenge - use BOTH first and last words of the lines...

Hope it is prophetic and though some readers will say it's apocryphal, I would really like for it to be true except for the betting part. I'm not that stupid.

Stupor Bowl

Two football teams broke out the heavy wood
and half a billion fans will cheer them both
and worship fields where all the great ones stood
and many more would be there if they could.
To watch it, fans come from the undergrowth,

then pay much more than some consider fair,
and don’t mind being scalped. It’s fun, they claim
because they want to watch the best. Some wear,
though they look stupid, paintings here and there.
Had they good sense, would never look the same

and act the fool. The game begins. Refs lay
in place the ball. Large men in gold and black;
Oh how they played and beat the Colts that day.
Yet, looking back, that is the only way
I wanted it to end. They brought us back;

I and ten million others breathed a sigh.
Somewhere a sadness reigns but it is hence.
Two football teams fought very hard but I--
I played the spread. I cheered as points went by
and won. Field goals made all the difference.

Larry
"From Louisiana"

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 7 10, 18:54
Post #40

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

FABULOUS Larry! highfive.gif kiss.gif footballhelmet.gif

Best of luck! Hope the Saints win! cheer.gif

I'll be back tomorrow to comment more fully!

~Cleo hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: