Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two for one input, chat & prose problem
Guest_Rosemerta_*
post Mar 6 08, 14:43
Post #1

Greetings Lori & all,

First of all you may think it odd that I'm writing this since I am one of those who pops in and out at long intervals, but I do consider MM home and like many 'distant' relatives have much to say whether my opinion is wanted or not. rolleyes.gif

We have a chat option that is never used. Well, I think we still have one and I'm not around long enough to see if it ever is used but it would be a great place to share things quickly with rapid feedback.

I think it would be great to have a monthly time set for open chat on a pre-selected topic. For instance, I would love to know more about getting something as simple as a poem or short prose published for the newbies. I'm sure there are a lot of places one could find this out but I would like to hear more from people I trust and have the ability to ask them questions as they come to me. A few people have told me I should try a small book of poems but I'm too unsure of myself and haven't a clue how to go about it properly.

I am also 'technically challenged' when knowing for sure the ins and outs of writing and many of us get confused over style, format, punctuation, etc. Of course we get a lot of this on reviews but its nice to have that immediate interaction with folks to find more clarity and just be social.

Another issue that has always bothered me is the lack of feedback on prose. This isn't the only site with that problem as it is obviously easier to read and review a poem then a short story (or lengthy in my case wub.gif ). Most don't bother even going into that section, let alone respond. Its not just that I prefer to write prose but I noticed the same with a lot who do and have noticed very little is posted anymore. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to 'jump start' that section of the forum.

Though it may sound as if i am whining a lot here I do want to say that one of the reasons I love MM over other sites is that we have the most dedicated and understanding members I've come across. You are honest and forthright with suggestions and comments but it is never done maliciously. Whether advice is taken or not one knows it is always given with the best intent and I have found it to be extremely helpful. I like that we are able to joke on some issues that other places may take offense and be combative over. **teehee** Yes, Don... this entry is verbose and done so just to tease you. rasp.gif Well, not really... I am who I am. LOL.gif

Just some food for thought.

~~Jackie

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 6 08, 21:30
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Jackie,

I'm always open to new ideas - this site is for you and what you want to get from it. I hope others chime in here and offer feedback on your ideas. The chat has never been used, but is there for anyone to set a time and theme to chat about. As for prose, I've been away writing the ever-so-long notes as a prelude (LOL) to the outline, which is a prelude to the first chapter, which is a prelude... Wall.gif

I've been doing quite a bit of reading as I've purchased a series of books from Writer's Digest called "The Elements of Fiction Writing" and several other books that cover everything from story structure to scene and setting, plot, characters & viewpoint, dialogue, outlining, conflict, description and a host of other topics.

Perhaps I'll be able to get back into Stonehenge and offer some tips from what I've read, when time is available. That's been my issue - the little time I have, I'm directing towards my own writing efforts so have to split my free time up moreso than ever before. It's the one thing I must stay disiplined about if I'm ever going to get writing and stop talking about this so called novel...

Sadly, many of the prose experts have left MM along with some of the more versed critters of form poetry, off to other places - guess they thought MM wasn't heavy-hitting enough or an MAS elsewhere came calling.

Let's see what others post.
Lori

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 10 08, 18:04
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Jackie,

First let me assure you that you're family here, and my Mom always said, home is where they have ta let ya in ... wink.gif and we always keep your room neat and tidy, (although I sometimes mess it up so not to mess my own) LOL

Anyway, yes we've had some tentative ideas about a monthly meeting through chat to discuss a specific theme, poetic subject, a lesson (if and when we can get our classroom activity put together) we can post an excercise and then work with the poems that come from it through chat. Or post a specific time for members to meet and choose either an MM members poem that has been posted for critique and members can interpret and assist in discussion. Also we could utilize the same idea for discussion or learning poetic techniques.

• Rhyme Techniques
  • Meter
  • Metaphor

To list just some of the ideas and it could be utilized if a member who has been ahving a problem with a specific poem of their own and wants immediate conversation about the poem well ... that would be a great avenue to discuss the poem first hand.

If you have any suggestions or ideas that would interest you and others please let us know.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 13:59

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: