IPB
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MM Questionnaire, sent via email to all members today
Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 15:59
Post #41

Hi Sylvia, Alan

I am like you Sylvia and a lot of the time I feel like an outsider, not quite fitting in and as you say a lot of it is down to lack of self confidence.  Having said that, MM is one of the few places that I don't feel outside of, looking in, an unusual experience for me.

hsdance.gif

Nina

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post May 22 05, 16:15
Post #42

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Nina !

Thanks for answering so promptly and for your encouraging remarks.

No, I don't think you should curb your banter in any way, that's not what I was getting at. Better to know how people think, by means of all their modes of expression, than to have any sort of self-censorship going on. (I do, of course, subscribe to the idea of eliminating the Wizard award because, indeed, many of the replies are plain banter. That's part of the fun, I don't think anybody wants solemnity here...  :jester:  :grinning: , but it does add to the clutter when reading and/or critting.) I shall forthwith try to read the poems without wading thru' everything, if just for the sake of being able to participate. I'm one of the slow ones....  :(

Part of the richness of MM is that people on here are from all over the world, different cultures, different religions and we learn a lot from this.

I haven't seen many postings that are truly international, except from a very interesting writer from Borneo.
The rest are from English speaking countries & cultures, or from communities that speak English, maybe living abroad for reasons of work?

Still, we're writing in English, so what else can I expect?!  :jester:  :oops:

I believe it's too late to post my Flash, if I feel more comfortable with it now, haven't they been moved elsewhere?

Hugs and thanks again, Nina,
Sylvia dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 16:26
Post #43

Hi Sylvia

I haven't seen many postings that are truly international, except from a very interesting writer from Borneo.
Yes, Aggiel is from Borneo and there is also Dani (Siren) from Saudi Arabia.
I often forget that English is not your first language, you write so eloquently.

The flashes have been moved to Mosaic Scrolls (Archives)  click here so if you want you can still post.

cheer.gif

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post May 22 05, 17:04
Post #44

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Sylvia et al.   wave.gif

Well, after having typed a 15 minute reply and using the new graphical index just now, my entire thread was wiped  out when the forum I selected over-wrote this open-window!!!! Wall.gif Wall.gif Wall.gif

I often feel as though I'm an outsider looking in with a different skin many a time in my life. I think we all must feel that sometimes? As for inner circles, yes, that is also common at many boards too. I remember at the old Poem Kingdom, I always knew I would receive at least 6 or 7 replies whenever I posted a new topic because the 'regulars' were very reliable. They made that site enjoyable way back when. I think the same is true here too at MM.  We have about 20 regulars who post daily and then there are others who post weekly and monthly. While they may not post as often, they are still 'family' to us. So, I think the inner circle is perceived because it is in relation to how often and in how many forums one posts. If I only post in Hermes twice a month, and only do my required 2 replies for each post and none other elsewhere on the board, then I may not feel like I'm part of an inner clique (I hate that word but best way to state it).  It's not a fault at all, nor should the member feel any less like 'family', it's partly based on frequency of postings and forums.  A newbie can get to know all the regulars very quickly if they cross forums, like 2BC has in the past few days, first in the Site Info, then Poetry for crit, now in Pandora. This helps us welcome them in too more quickly and get to know them as well. GroupHug.gif

Yes, our international membership allows our European members first dibs on new posts generally as do our Australians. I often log in at 6 am EDT to discover new posts with 4 or 5 replies already done and say, "WOW!" Good for them! To me, the quicker my posts are read, the better (for improvement and interaction puroposes)...  cheer.gif

I also think we need to be sensitive to the topics we discuss like politics and religion for example. I alway panic when I see discussions which are very opinionated. We are a democratic site, however, we DO need to be cognizant of others and their own opinions too and make sure we are not imposing our beliefs in any way, shape or form. This is the hardest aspect of moderating. Our opinions vary, but we need to respect all and not come off offensive (as per our site rules) and human nature....

As for your flash, by all means, POST it for us to read.  detective.gif  Flash session 1 has been moved into the Mosaic Scrolls, but you can still post there.... no worries.

Lastly, as for the awards: It is an unfortunate event that all our POLLS receive an average of only 10 votes. The only way to change this would be to not do POLLS. rofl.gif Not a bad idea Sylvia and you and I have chatted about this before too!  StarWars1.gif  I find it rewarding to be recognized for writing efforts and this was my intent with ALL the awards here. They are not meant to mean 'I'm better than you' at all. The are solely for the benefit of recognition by the peers.

Perhaps as we discuss the Wizard Award (I had orignally had 2 ways to receive it, one for receiving (5) awards and the other for the 125 views, 25 replies in tiles format. Perhaps, we can eliminate the second? As for Pandora, maybe no more POLLING, but instead, when you've postin ed a set number of challenges, you receive the award, say 3 or4 (now that it's only once per month)? For COM and Members Choice - not sure how to get around the NOMS and POLLING? Mod Choice will stay the same as the staff polls for it monthly.

Good ideas Sylvia - I'm glad you've written them here.  sings.gif  What are yours (and others ) reactions to my continued question above please?

This is EXACLTY the feedback I was hoping to receive.

P.S. I've already designed and implemented the new graphical index, is it any more hepful?

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post May 22 05, 17:19
Post #45

Hi Lori

Well, after having typed a 15 minute reply and using the new graphical index just now, my entire thread was wiped  out when the forum I selected over-wrote this open-window!!!!
that is so annoying, the same thing happened to me this afternoon, but I managed to get it back by using the back button on my browser.  At present, with the new graphic interface, you have it as opening in new window (or second window that is open) perhaps it might be better to have it open in the same window.  Just a thought.

Nina

Guest_Jox_*
post May 22 05, 18:37
Post #46

Hi all,

Lori you keep asking for views. I have taken the view it is better to let the questionnaires come in before commentating. However, it has become too hard to stand back.

Sylvia, I like and respect you greatly but I think you and I disagree on almost everything you've said, I'm afraid. I’ll just answer your point about the House of Windsor.

Princess Diana  - I am her biggest critic - I loathed her. I was delighted when she was excluded from the Royal Family. I simply cannot tell you the damage I think she did to the UK political system - much of it, in my opinion, for her narrow personal ends. This is a system I must live under and to have the Head of State's position undermined by a young woman determined to seduce the media and indulge in showbiz really sickened me for years. Sarah Ferguson (who actually comes from the next village to me so I have no distance axe to grind) was almost as bad. Between them they undermined and demeaned the Monarchy. This is a monarchy which I would fight (in a civil or military sense) to support. Without it we'd become a republic and I think that would be very wrong.

I don't mind you likening her at all - your prerogative but I do not think anyone can simply take umbrage because they like someone. I don't generally attack showbiz characters because they are powerless. The Princess of Wales and the Duchess of York had great power. in my opinion they abused it and damaged my country. I shall never forgive either for that.

More generally, all...

As regards competitions etc; I think they are valuable and encouraging. One can have too many and I have recently urged a reduction myself but, in general, I think they have merit. If one does not wish to vote in them, one can abstain. In truth, many people can’ be bothered, rather than abstain for ethical reasons.

As regards Wizards I did urge a reduction in their influence and I was led to believe that this had been implemented until I was rudely told it had not a few weeks ago. I don’t understand Lori’s latest Wizard suggestion - why give a Wizard to signify another award - makes no sense to me, sorry. On balance, I would like to keep Wizards as I do think lots of attention deserves recognition. But I won’t argue this strongly as I’m aware I have benefited by many Wizards and I don’t wish to be seen as self-serving. But I do honestly feel they have much merit in the scheme of things.

As regards cliquey - I’m sorry but I’m running out of patience of wearing that hair shirt. I for one - and I know this goes equally for everyone else at MM have NEVER excluded anyone in any way. We all live where we live. Languages etc and topics differ. But if anyone has asked for clarification (as I did with the US Memorial Day recently - such has been available. I think people regard things as cliquey at MM only when they don’t join in as much as others do. They may not wish to nor have time to. That is fine but it is very unfair to brand others as cliquey because of it.

Well that is my steam vented, But I will say this - I don’t mind in the least anyone making their points. I am only deeply offended when others decide to take their offence at my comments to the point of believing I should not make them. Why should they? Art and politics are about subversion. Without that they are nothing. We’ll become so politically correct if we follow that route that MM would be a place where nothing was worth saying. I shall fight against that. Far better (for example) that Sylvia’s position on those young royals deeply offends me (as it does) that I ever deny her right to make them (as I would never do). It’s the old thing - I strongly disagree but would, for ever, defend people’s right to say things with which I strongly disagree.

Thanks, James.

Psyche
post May 22 05, 21:38
Post #47

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (Nina @ May 22 2005, 18:59)
Hi Sylvia, Alan

I am like you Sylvia and a lot of the time I feel like an outsider, not quite fitting in and as you say a lot of it is down to lack of self confidence.  Having said that, MM is one of the few places that I don't feel outside of, looking in, an unusual experience for me.

hsdance.gif

Nina

Thank you, Nina, for your kind comments.  sun.gif   sun.gif
Although I tend to feel like an outsider, which is probably a personal problem of my own, due to a number of reasons, still I believe I have always been very careful to post my comments in a polite fashion, non-combative and, hopefully, with a bit of sense of humor. That is the way most people at MM have taken them, and everything's OK with me, thanks again, Nina.

Thank you also, Lori, for accepting my recent commentaries with your usual friendly & balanced points of view. As far as I can tell, I have said nothing offensively, and have simply answered a few questions as honestly as possible. The examples I gave were, precisely, to explain why I keep my mouth shut, and I believe it worked out fine, as I inadvertently stressed my points quite succesfully. I have nothing more to add.  

Thank you, again, everybody, for being there !!  sun.gif  butterfly.gif dove.gif

I will not be saying anything else here, got a busy week ahead !  cheer.gif
But I do hope to post a poem or two now & then.

Hugs to all,
Sylvia  wave.gif  sun.gif
PS: Sorry, I was going to post my Flash Session I work tonight, but now I have decided against it. Another time, perhaps, but thanks so much for providing the link, Nina, that was indeed so very helpful of you, especiallty for us.... slowbies??!!! dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 23 05, 01:36
Post #48

Good morning, everyone

Sylvia, I am very sorry that the banter in the discussions regarding the flashes prevented you feeling able to post yours. I had worked very hard to get the wording of the actual flash and instructions as welcoming as possible. I would love to see it (I always enjoy your writing), so if you want to PM it to me and discuss it further I'd be delighted.

Alan pointed out to me recently that trying to control poets is like herding cats (you have a fun time, Lori! ). One person's freedom of speech is another's offensive harrangue. One person's investigation of power in politics or religion is another's undermining of deeply personal beliefs.

I think Alan also has a valid point when he says he feels like an outsider everywhere. So do I. Poets are reknowned for feeling alienated. It ought to be part of the job description. I very much doubt that any of us who write serious poetry are happily ensconsed in our own local or national environments enjoying TV reality dance shows and dreaming of winning the lottery (at least all the time). I will admit to having been a very accademic, lonely child - a square peg in a round hole at my school - and I am still minutely aware that I don't 'belong' now, though I can 'fit in' these days. The only difference now is that I am a better performer and I realise that many of us are in the same boat - I am no longer so alone.

As regards to Wizard Awards, I've kept quiet, but I do think that they are a little peculiar as a reward. However, just to warn you all - I actually find myself holding back on the banter sometimes because of the risk of incuring one, hehe!

Hugs to all,

Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post May 23 05, 03:35
Post #49

Hi Sylvia,

I was intent on precisely making other points that I missed an important one myself.

I also hope that nothing puts you off posting. You have an absolute right (and duty I'd say) to post whatever you feel right. Banter should never put anyone off. I actually think banter is an important way of winding down a tile / competition - whatever. Banter is not meant to be excluding - it is actually meant to be inclusive of the whole group. I can see it might be a tad confusing for a newbie but not for established members like yourself. It is part of belonging to something; a slight hurdle for anyone new; I accept that but a great comfort for others and, providing that we make newcomers welcome - I always try to say "hello" on-line and send them a PM (though I must miss some) - I think banter is fine. I'm really puzzled that you feel excluded - I'm sure you and I have chatted to each other in similar ways on-line.

I am doing the next Flash on 28th (this coming Sat) so please do join in - sorry to sound patronising but - you are an excellent writer and I'm sure out flashed will be the better for your being there.

>F>However, just to warn you all - I actually find myself holding back on the banter sometimes because of the risk of incurring one, hehe!

Fran is that really so? In what tiles have you done that please? I think that absolutely terrible. I‘m really upset by that. I'm perfectly happy for you to campaign to abolish Wizards but not to hold back because of them. I'm minded to deluge your tiles with zillions of posts to compensate. C'mon now that is not in the spirit of things at all. No one should be put off posting - that is what I’m trying to say to all. We should be able to post about anything without looking over our shoulder all the time. Or were you just trying to be comforting?

As I said, I do think Wizards valuable. I don't think I really said why. It is this. We write to be read and to have people discuss, appreciate and take interest in our works (don't we?). Wizards are a recognition that such has been achieved. To me they are actually more important than competitions. When voting in comps there is seldom a clear and obvious winner - this is art, not sport. So competition seems a little unfair - but I fully support them as an encouragement and stimulus. However, Wizards do recognise reading and interest and debating about the work. That is the essence of writing. Put it like this: I'd prefer two thousand people read my work rather than I won X number of prestigious competitions but was read by fewer people. (Money aside, of course!) I write to be read. Crit forums are for help - nevertheless Wizards do show people are interested. Having said all that, again, I recognise I have "benefited" much from Wizards so I shall not fight too hard to keep them - but I think their demise would be a great shame; I would scrap competition awards first - and I'd prefer to keep those.

Hi Fran,

>F>Alan pointed out to me recently that trying to control poets is like herding cats (you have a fun time, Lori! ). One person's freedom of speech is another's offensive harangue. One person's investigation of power in politics or religion is another's undermining of deeply personal beliefs.

I think the following is agreeing with you and Alan!

Yes but the essential is that we’ll have repressive political correctness without being free to speak. I probably upset people with my views on the RC Church - and the British monarchy. But why should I not be equally able to be put out by poems which mention “God” as kind and wonderful or comments that the late Princess of Wales was good? No, these views must be able to be aired.

Because I don’t agree with them or other people don’t like my views, we have democracy and free speech; it is essential that we disagree. Without disagreement we have nothing worth using. People really should not take these things personally. If I say “You are stupid for thinking / believing that,” - I have made an unwarranted personal attack and the person would be entirely right to be offended. But I try always to attack things, philosophies, outside people etc. I actually have almost no beliefs - I don’t believe in beliefs, if one likes, so I tend to oppose others’ beliefs being imposed. To me such is simply an attempt at a political take-over. But why on Earth should people not praise God in a poem, in a discussion, in banter? I assume believers think enough of Him to speak up for Him? The fact that I could choose to find such beliefs offensive (as they offend my sense of human responsibility, justice etc) in no way means I would wish to gag such people. I shall argue against them but never seek to gag them. People should not be offended by debate - to be offended by such simply means, I think t, that they are insincere or insecure in their beliefs. I have not yet met a monk nor a priest nor a lay preacher (and I have met and debated with very many) who is in the least offended by my atheism. Why? because they are confident in their beliefs and they are, indeed, delighted to advance their points of view and hope to convince me. I would argue that deeply help beliefs without a willingness to argue are (as we have highlighted in the R101 debate) what is driving the World to World War III. People with deeply help beliefs have an important duty to debate, else such beliefs can endanger all the freedoms we have fought for. And art is usually one of the first things to be repressed by those who seek to gag for their own ends.

>F>I think Alan also has a valid point when he says he feels like an outsider everywhere. So do I. Poets are renowned for feeling alienated. It ought to be part of the job description.

I thought it was! And it is most writers, I think - not just poets.

>F> I very much doubt that any of us who write serious poetry are happily ensconced in our own local or national environments enjoying TV reality dance shows and dreaming of winning the lottery (at least all the time).

I loathe reality tv and would apologise to the USA again for this vile British invasion. Sorry. Really. Dreadful mind-killing stuff.

>F>I will admit to having been a very academic, lonely child - a square peg in a round hole at my school - and I am still minutely aware that I don't 'belong' now, though I can 'fit in' these days.

I have never thought that I belonged in the human race at all. I’m sure many would agree. I have always got on far better with dogs.

>F> I realise that many of us are in the same boat - I am no longer so alone.

That is how I feel and debate (between different views) and banter (which includes people) is, for me, the essence of writing and responding and the essence of everything intellectual that is important. MM has supported that and I’d loathe us to stamp one person’s / one group’s view of what is politically correct upon the being that is MM. Don’t seek to gag - oppose intelligently by argument and debate. Just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean you can’t convince me and, even if you can’t, I want to hear your views. Write a poem, a short story or comment that my work is intellectually incoherent and explain why. It is all helpful.

Thanks, J.

Guest__*
post May 23 05, 04:12
Post #50

Dear Fran,

"a square peg in a round hole at my school" - snap !

I've found tho, that those holes wear down, and iin the end the square peg, somewhat rounded now, fits very well.

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post May 23 05, 04:43
Post #51

Alan, Lol.

I've always been a very round peg - didn't even fit the round holes.

J.

Guest__*
post May 23 05, 04:51
Post #52

Dear Jox,

LOL ! When I was reading Fran's post, I had seen that the last post in the series was yours, so I was reading it as coming from you - and my attempts to remain "neutral" or "polite" were killing me !

I was fighting NOT to enter remarks about you being a round peg in a square hole ..., but you defeated me !

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post May 23 05, 05:35
Post #53

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello.

Here is the reply from Charon.

Thanks Butch for taking the time out of your busy schedule!
Much appreciated!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

1. How did you find out about MM?
I knew the creator, Lori Kanter.  I valued her friendship, openness, refreshing ideas and wanted to be a part of her new creation.

2. What persuaded you to join?
The place was fun.  Poem Kingdom had become a battleground.  Poem Train was a bit elitist, I felt out of place.

3. How long have you been a member of MM?
Since its inception.

4. How often do you log onto the board? If less than once per month, what can we do to encourage you to become more active?
At one time every day, morning and night.  Then that dwindled down to once a week because of my pursuing a Masters degree, and not having enough time.

5. What do you enjoy most about MM?
The camaraderie.  No one is above any one else.  No one speaks or writes demeaning opinions or topics.  Very seldom is it controversial.

6. What do you like least about MM?
It is becoming a bit complex.  I liked its simplicity at first.  Since I have been out of it for awhile I have a difficult time finding things.

7. Do you find the staff and other members friendly and helpful? If not, please explain why.
You bet.  All are wonderful people.  They are not so full of themselves that they become a distraction.

8. Do you find the board easy to navigate? If not, what changes would you like to see?
No.  A graphic interface with simpler instructions would help.  Write at an eighth grade level to explain what things are for and where to find stuff.

9. Do you have any suggestions for improvements on MM?
See above.  Short stories, especially series are difficult to post.  They do not get the activity poems do, so to meet the minimums is difficult.  I would like to see a place to locate series, or chapters, where there is no waiting period, or having to crit x number before posting again.  I would also like to see a forum where we can write something without an ending, let everyone guess, and that follow up with the ending.

10. As an active member, have you at any time read the rules (Terms of Use and forum participation rules) of MM?
Yes, first time when they were written, and every once in awhile to figure out where something should go or what the behavior is.

11. Had you read them before/while registering or sometime after active posting?
See above.

12. Are the critiques given thoughtfully written, constructive and positive? If not, please explain why.
Most of them are very good.  I don’t care if they offer suggestions or not, sometimes it is nice to know that someone read your work and enjoyed it.  I like suggestions, but not rewrites, that steals away from the work.

13. When receiving critique and feedback in a poetry forum, does it interfere with your process of improvement for the poem at hand if another member posts their own poetry into your tile?
I despise when someone attempts to add their own work in a crit.  Referencing is okay, but don’t post a poem in a poem.  How self centered can you be?

14. When receiving critique and feedback, does it interfere with your process of improvement to your poem or story if others become involved in an unrelated discussion?
Yes, absolutely.

15. Do you have any other comments (especially any which would help us to improve MM)?
Love the site, have since the beginning.  Lori is a dear for taking on such an awesome responsibility and endeavor.  

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post May 23 05, 07:10
Post #54

Hi Lori, James et al

>J >As I said, I do think Wizards valuable. I don't think I really said why. It is this. We write to be read and to have people discuss, appreciate and take interest in our works (don't we?). Wizards are a recognition that such has been achieved. To me they are actually more important than competitions. When voting in comps there is seldom a clear and obvious winner - this is art, not sport. So competition seems a little unfair - but I fully support them as an encouragement and stimulus. However, Wizards do recognise reading and interest and debating about the work. That is the essence of writing. Put it like this: I'd prefer two thousand people read my work rather than I won X number of prestigious competitions but was read by fewer people. (Money aside, of course!) I write to be read. Crit forums are for help - nevertheless Wizards do show people are interested. Having said all that, again, I recognise I have "benefited" much from Wizards so I shall not fight too hard to keep them - but I think their demise would be a great shame; I would scrap competition awards first - and I'd prefer to keep those
Yes we write to have people read discuss and appreciate our work but I don't think Wizards are a recognition of that.  The problem is that is only a minority of poems receive a Wizard award because of intellectual discussion directly related to the poem itself (an example being your Pope poem).  A lot of the time it is because of light-hearted banter, going backwards and forwards that is very enjoyable, something I love to get involved with and part of what I like about MM, but surely doesn't justify an award.  I found it strange that my first wizard award was for a daft poem that was written as a bit of a joke and got lots of replies, yet more serious stuff  only received a few crits, but those replies were good detailed crits and were just as helpful (if not more so) and greatly appreciated.  
I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well, but it is quite hard to put into words.

Nina

Guest__*
post May 23 05, 09:15
Post #55

Dear Nina,

"those replies were good detailed crits and were just as helpful (if not more so) and greatly appreciated.  I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well, but it is quite hard to put into words."

Perfectly clear. I always thought it odd that a well crafted poem - one where people say "No nits" could never get a wiz, while a noodle poem with typos mis-spellings and lots of help needed to extract the glitter from the dross would have an award.

It became a quantity rather than quality issue, and we were actually awarding to the wrong poems.

Not to mention the odd (and even) banter thrown in to supplement the viewings.

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post May 23 05, 10:30
Post #56

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Shall we post a separate thread perhaps to see what the members would like to do then re: Wizard Award and Pandora POLLS?

Some have already indicated they do not wish to keep the Wizards (with regard to the 25 replies/125 views) awarding method.

Perhaps I can revert BACK to the other way to receive it instead - which was whenever a member receives a total of ANY (5) awards (Chaos, Member Choice, Mod Choice, Crown Jewel, Faery and COM)?

I was also thinking of re-vamping the Chaos POLLING - no more polls, but instead, when a member participates in at least (3) Chaos', they will receive a CHAOS award....

How does that sound?

~Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post May 23 05, 12:11
Post #57

Hi Lori

Just a thought on wizard awards.  Rather than award for so many awards, which doesn't encourage greater participation in the crit forums, perhaps they could be awarded for on having posted perhaps 10 poems in a crit forum Serens and Hermes and perhaps 3 pieces of prose in Stonehenge which is like a graveyard at the moment.

Nina

JustDaniel
post May 23 05, 13:22
Post #58

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

I need a link too.  I can't find it.  Sorry I'm such a dip.

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 23 05, 17:50
Post #59

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ May 23 2005, 14:22)
I need a link too.  I can't find it.  Sorry I'm such a dip.

Hello Daniel!  :wave:

Which link are you referring to please?

Is it the NEW graphical site map I created?

If so - you will find the link at the top of the forum board, just below the other site links  and Logo.

I will post it here too...

http://www.mosaicmusings.net/ALTindex.htm

Each Image will link you to another graphical index for that specific topic.

Is this what you meant?

Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 23 05, 18:07
Post #60

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nina @ May 23 2005, 13:11)
Hi Lori

Just a thought on wizard awards.  Rather than award for so many awards, which doesn't encourage greater participation in the crit forums, perhaps they could be awarded for on having posted perhaps 10 poems in a crit forum Serens and Hermes and perhaps 3 pieces of prose in Stonehenge which is like a graveyard at the moment.

Nina

Hi Nina.

Wizard = "Master [of] the Mind", LOL.gif

Come to MM and MM with us! rofl.gif

Actually, I must do these tallies manually as I have not mastered if there is way to download data off the forum board. troy.gif

I was thinking more along the lines (with your suggestion) to create more excitement/participation in Stonehenge, Loch Ness and perhaps the Acropolis too...

In place of the 25 replies/125 views for award recognition,
What about if a member starts a NEW TOPIC in Hermes, Serens, Loch Ness and Stonehenge  (AND REPLY to a topic (flash or other challenges) in the Acropolis a set number of times in a month?

It would be easiest for me that way as I can sort the crit forums by topic start date in a given month and then sort that list by topic starter (member). The challenge is to look for replies in the Acropolis (unless we limit it to only FLASHES)?

For example, a member must post at least 8 new topics in the Poetry for crit (Hermes and Serens) forums AND at least 2 new topics in the Prose for crit (Stonehenge and Loch Ness) forums in a calendar month? (I'm using an 75/25 rule here) -so if you reverse it, we could say 4 posts in the prose forum and 1 post in the Poetry forum to receive the Wizard - the master of the mind.  :grinning:

If we want to 'substitute' part of the prose, maybe we can use the FLASH sessions as allowable for subs?

How does that sound?
~Cleo  :detective:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 17:39

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: