AMETHYST
post Nov 23 04, 04:31
Post #21

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Ok... I'm off to do some crits ... I know... I know... I should stand in the corner for being late!  :jester:  

Hello Don and everyone else! Miss you guys... Big Hugs... Love ya, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 23 04, 06:34
Post #22

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Chris and Liz!  :wave:  :wave:

Well of COURSE we all WELCOME PartyFavor.gif crits even if you aren't posting new tiles! Even better for all here at MM!  :snowflake:

I truly appreciate the feedback.

This thread is certainly arousing some great input!

THANKS ALL and a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours!  :turkey:

Cheers!  :cheer:
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Nov 23 04, 17:36
Post #23

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (Jox @ Nov. 20 2004, 19:17)
Hi Sylvia,

You seem to think that you might have "put your foot in it?" Well, you certainly shouldn't think that at all - debate is great and, as I started this thread, I'm especially delighted that it has been re-invigorated by your posting. You've done nothing wrong at all and everything right, as far as I can see - and I'm sure others would agree.

Now, I was not actually disagreeing with your point; quite the contrary; I try to visit some people with few comments, too. However, I was also pointing out that those that do crit most do deserve crits in return; I don't even think these views are mutually exclusive; I think each has its part in the compromise.

As regards your "personal philosophical outlook that probably doesn't apply here," I'm sure it does. In Britain we say "what goes around, comes around" - though you express it better than the saying. As you argue, if A helps B then B may help C and so on. B may never help A directly - but Z may well.

I think all I was saying is: sure that's correct but if A is directly helping B-Z then A does deserve some extra crit for their efforts. Hopefully, that would not for a moment stop those with few crits being helped, either.

I hope all that makes sense.

Bad luck having to use cyber cafes all the time... mind you, you probably get decent coffee!

Now you've mentioned that Lori only had two visitors I'll try to find it. Mind you, if it's in a crit forum, she may not thank you for pointing my nose in that direction. I am to poetic forms what a bulldozer is to a grape. Ouch! Still, I try!

Thanks (I mean that) for your postings, Sylvia.

James.

Hi James !
Thanks for replying and you're so right about A deserving plenty of crits if she/he is reading and/or critin B to Z. Right on !
Anyway, Grace and Cleo need not fear my not visiting them, because I keep track of them to learn about the latest innovations in poetry, such as SWAP QUATRAINS !!!
And Grace was experimenting with double cinquains, so I took the opportunity to learn a bit from her own experiences and didn't quite make a hash of it... I wonder what she's up to now, must have a peep and steal an idea or two....
Yes, I'm sure we agree basically, I'm glad this dialogue ensued and that it's been welcome. There's quite a crowd around here now !

Hugs,
Psyche

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Nov 23 04, 17:57
Post #24

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (Jox @ Nov. 20 2004, 19:36)
Hi Sylvia,

This tracking problem is...

(I am putting my tin hat and protective long-johns on)...

because you're a lady!

No, no insults about not understanding - don't think I'm sexist (hope not - well I might be pleading for my life here).

What I mean is, that at the bottom of all main posting windows are three questions... 1 enable emoticons, 2. signature, 3 enable racking. On mine, at least the top two are activated by default.

Now, it seems to me that the ladies on here (and on other boards) are the ones who use emoticons most. I very seldom use them so I almost always de-select "enable emoticons" because, if I don't, various combinations of brackets etc turn into those damn similey things. In the same sweep I turn on tracking. So my remembering to activate tracking depends on my remembering to de-activate emoticons.

So tracking problems are a gender issue! QED.

OK, if anybody wants me I'm... hiding.

James.

Hi J/J with the tin hat & long johns !
HA HA... u needn't have bothered with that getup to introduce the gender issue.
I understand from you that we women have far more emotional intelligence, an element lacking in u poor menfolks. . · . that's exactly why we use emoticons !! I take your analysis as a compliment to the ladies... Q.E.D. Gee, thanks, Jox
Anyway, your slip is showing, since I see that in 3. "you enable racking".... didn't know you were also a masochist... Speechless.gif
Oh, dear, I better go to some other forum and get some work done.
And Hi ! to Morgan le Fay and the others who've dropped in recently  :wave:  :wave:
Hugs to all,
Psyche  :cheer:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

Siren
post Nov 25 04, 20:15
Post #25

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Hi All,

Seeing this post I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt at not doing my duty as a member. I know that this wasn't meant to do that, still..

I hope I'll get back on the writing and interacting wagon again soon.

Happy weekend to all....

Daniah

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Nov 25 04, 20:59
Post #26

Oh, a gender debate - did I start that? Ouch!

Actually, I usually don't become involved because 9don't take this the wrong way!) I don't usually differentiate between races, colours, religions (that will surprise some, maybe), sexes and so on. We're all human.

However, it is self-evident that women use emoticons more than men. Nothing wrong in that - just an observation. And since I said it, I've had them waggled in my face several times (thanks Grace et al!)

"Emotional Intelligence" - emm a contradiction in terms for me. One can be emotional or one can apply intelligence. I'm not even sure this splits down gender lines.

I type with two fingers and am very imperfect. I usually spell-check but, of course, that won't catch wrong words caused by typos. Sorry. Well picked-up.

Masochist? No, certainly not - I never beat myself up - too many people willing to do that for me, so I don't need to bother.

Toodle Pip, James.

Siren - don't think that way - that would simply lead you to resent being here, which would be a disaster for us all. Participate when you can and enjoy it.

James.

Siren
post Nov 26 04, 17:17
Post #27

Laureate Legionnaire

Ah James,

I'm beginning to like you more by the day...
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I used to be a very active in a previous board for almost 4 years and well I literary was "flying" all over the place including being a site moderator.  That's why my slacking off makes me feel I've failed the community I'm in, inspite of it, logically, not being so.

How about that, no smileys in this response.

Dani

·······IPB·······

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Jan 27 05, 12:37
Post #28

Hey Jox,

Somewhere above in this thread you said:

Now, it seems to me that the ladies on here (and on other boards) are the ones who use emoticons most. I very seldom use them so I almost always de-select "enable emoticons" because, if I don't, various combinations of brackets etc turn into those damn similey things.
         ------------      -------------------   --------------------
Dint ya no females use emoticons more than males because they are
Pick one:
1) More emotional
2) More expressive

Seriously, number two is absolutely correct.  Thanks for your tip,  if and when emoticon "on" becomes a conflict.
Our four-year-old grandson loves the panel of emoticons displayed at left-side.  All those head-banging, eye-popping, waving, singing, laughing, and dancing animations tickle his giggle bone.

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 27 05, 19:32
Post #29

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just a "stiff assed Brit." I'm not even sure why we need tv - what's wrong with the wireless and why have newspaper photographs in. All very strange. Seriously, I do find too many images distracting - hate modern tv programmes when they use daft images just to replace talking heads. On the other hand, if something is genuinely better with images then do it well.

I never mind people using those emoticons to me - as long as no one minds my not using them back, except on high days and holidays.

All the best, James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 27 05, 19:53
Post #30

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

smart.gif  :knight: I'll just make one comment:

:costume:  :speechless:  :wizard:  :StarWars1:  :StarWars2:  :detective:  :pharoah2  :medusa:  :sings:  :cali:  :crab:  :borg:  :wolf:  :pcgal:  :mouse:  :cards:  :8ball:  :alien2:

and

:)  ;)  :cool:  :laugh:  :ghostface:  :alien:  :grinning:  :oops:  :upside:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 27 05, 19:58
Post #31

Hi Lori,

I think that says it all! :)

James.

Siren
post Jan 27 05, 20:48
Post #32

Laureate Legionnaire

It's so refreshing to see the lighthearted banter going on here. :)

I'm still on the mend and of not much help I'm afraid. I am reading though.

I just needed a moral booster before heading to bed.

Hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 27 05, 21:03
Post #33

Dani - all of the very best; take care and see you soon.

James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 14:23

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: