post Jul 31 09, 15:24
Post #2

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 361
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Mysty

Alice:

Nice image. But even if you ignore the 5-7-5 aspect of the haiku, should not one at least attempt a 4-6-4 or something that ballances line 1 and 3? Just quibbling...bear with me.

ace

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_alice_*
post Aug 1 09, 08:00
Post #3

hi Ace..not sure I agree with balancing by numbers..

I'm glad you liked the image though, thanks for commenting

regards
Alice

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 1 09, 08:07
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Alice44,

A nice image here in this one! I tend to think of this as a Senyru though since its about 'people'. Either way - its lovely! arwen.gif

My question as a reader is, "why choose 'harbour waters'?" Is there a further significance we don't yet understand?

Cheers
~Cleo tropicalfish.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_alice_*
post Aug 2 09, 08:37
Post #5

Hi Cleo, I agree with the senryu..and this was written after my daughter and I had been sitting on the jetty on the harbour. We both peered in and I saw how much alike we were..

thank you for commenting

regards
Alice

Arnfinn
post Aug 3 09, 04:58
Post #6

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day.

Love the imagery.

Regards,

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Aug 3 09, 16:21
Post #7

Alice, I already stated my trouble with Hiaku/ Senyru and number in your Hiabun post. I have rearranged a bit so IMHO it makes a bit more sense, still don't have the numbers, but hey, lets call it what Mark did, American Hiaku.

Harbour waters
I see me in my
daughters face

Harbor waters mirror - 6
our faces - 2
I see me in her - 5

or

Harbor waters - 4
mirror our faces - 4
I see me there - 4

Thats right your an Oz ...you spell harbor with a 'u', I picked up that habit in England with some words but not others, just like I picked up crossing my 7's with a bar through the middle as the Germans do. I sure hope to see more of your writing Alice. Of course these are just my two cents. Spend them or not.

Steve

Eisa
post Aug 3 09, 18:32
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Harbour waters
I see me in my
daughters face

Alice44

I like this Alice. I still see my mothers face in me at times.

The 2nd line sounds a little awkward somehow.

I see me in my

Perhaps something like

harbour waters
I see my daughter's face
in my image

Snow Snowflake.gif

Ace - the recent way of thinking in haiku is not so much a balancing of numbers, but short/long/short lines, although the essence & conciceness is important too.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_alice_*
post Aug 4 09, 10:15
Post #9

Steve, hi
I love how one ku can develop into so many others, each with their own merit.
I think the problem with trying to fit into a set amount of syllables is that it can make the writer fill out the poem with unnecessary words.

perhaps I can change my ku to

Harbour waters
in my daughters face
I see myself

or

two faces in one
my daughters mouth
returns my smile

hmmm not as easy as it looks

thank you for your valuable comments.

regards
Alice

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 4 09, 13:44
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Ooohhhh - I'm fond of this variation:

two faces in one
my daughters mouth
returns my smile

lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Aug 4 09, 16:13
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Loved the image, It is getting us all inspired!
I'm a traditional 5-7-5 lover so will abstain for now.

Jogged my muse to write a longer poem that I will post later in R&M.

Thanks for that!!

Hugz,
Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Eisa
post Aug 4 09, 16:40
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12

Hi Alice

I love both of your further thoughts on this ... but especially this one-

two faces in one
my daughters mouth
returns my smile

claps.gif claps.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

MM Award Winner

Guest_alice_*
post Aug 4 09, 19:11
Post #13

Cleo, glad you liked it..I love how we can feed of one another.. magictongue.png

Alice

Guest_alice_*
post Aug 4 09, 19:13
Post #14

Wally, I look forward to reading yours..
thanks so much for looking at mine..

take care
Alice

Guest_alice_*
post Aug 4 09, 19:17
Post #15

Snow thank you..
I find these forms difficult. It is nice to spend time here and let other poets inspire the muse..

take care
Alice

JustDaniel
post Sep 6 09, 18:57
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

Hey, Alice...

love what you're doing, and some of your 'revisions' are really fine... but there is always something intriguing about the original IMPRESSION that creates the senryu/haiku...

so I'd really like to see you return to the harbour waters impression somehow.

"Traditional" haiku (as you know, Alice) has nothing to do with 5-7-5, the rubric that most of us learned in our introduction to haiku, so I also like your resistance to being placed in that box. For me, the only workable rubric seems to be short/long/short, in general, keeping in mind two images juxtaposed upon each other from the same impression.

daughter's face
in the harbour waters...
my own smile

Lightly, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Sep 7 09, 12:29
Post #17

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Alice,

Welcome to MM and the wonderful interaction of different minds swimming in the same small pool. Like Steve, I prefer the 5-7-5 structure but that is my problem. The content and not the structure is one of the reasons I wanted to post my thoughts on your Haiku thread; ( it is more likely a Senyru as Lori stated). I would question why you "tell" the reader what you want them to see instead of utilizing "objective correlation" and let the reader view the external facts you present and have an epiphany when realizing that your stated facts hold true for a lot of people. By being too subjective, you take away that chance. Perhaps something like:

Harbour waters
My face reflected
two times

Just a take or toss suggestion but I'll leave you with a paraphrased thought: What we imagine, think or feel on an emotional basis will interrupt and become inappropriate; we want to produce a thought with the reader, not start with one.

I do love the imagery but wish you had let me figure out what you wanted me to see.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 14:36

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: