Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Didn't Do It, Please feel free to critique or comment
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Mar 31 10, 20:55
Post #1

I Didn't Do It

It was a time of innocence, a time when things were not rushed. No cell phones, no color TV, no transistor radios, no internet. There was always time for conversations, everyone waved and said hello. The neighborhood was large but the year round folks were few and all knew each other.

Night was singing its late springtime song. Five pale shapes moved in fits and starts along the dim moonlit path, Toward a skinny rickety wooden bridge that spanned a small burbling brook. They were boys, on the cusp of adolescence; tall, gangly, skinny, you could probably count their ribs. Their quiet laughter, with a giggle or two didn't travel far. They shoved one another, made some ribald comment about draining the main vein, with four me too's.
Five streams arched out and down to splash in the water below. Five nude boys peeing off a bridge at two o'clock in the morning, out on a dare that grew too fast to stop. They were to go down to the lake, skinny dip and return, sans clothes. One last initiation rite before the end of summer, before time turned them into the men they would become. A time to laugh at each other's shy gawkiness and to boast of future deeds... at that time of the morning the air is crisp, cool and fills a body with spirit, of course being nude tends to focus the mind very clearly.

The water of the lake was warm, the boys trying hard to hold in their natural exuberance, but it got away with water tag, splashing and dunking, diving up off platforms made with crossed hands, to cannonball someone else. All lots of fun until one cottage lit up like a firework explosion. A deep voice hollering out questions and curses at hooligans making such a racket at this time of night, and words about calling the sheriff.

The boys quickly but laughingly made their exit from the water and ran all the way back up the path sputtering water and hysterical relief laughs. They got into the tent put on some underwear and climbed into sleeping bags, as they were supposed to be sleeping out. Their exuberance waned and sleep over came them. They all had a hard time from grinning the next day when they heard about the drunken collage party that went on in the lake last night, the sheriff asking questions of everyone but the boys, and everyone giving their opinion to the sheriff.

It was quite a night, that I for being one of those boys, will never forget.

31 March 2010
© Steve Pray

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Eisa
post Apr 15 10, 18:55
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Hi Steve

This made me smile - oh the fun of youth!

I don't feel equippped to give a proper crit as I only write poetry (so far) If this was your first story I think you have done very well in keeping the readers interest, which is all important.
I must come back to this and perhaps give some suggestions - but well done Steve!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Apr 16 10, 15:03
Post #3

Eira, Thanks for reading and the kind words. This is not really the first as I have written a couple of others, but this is my first serious attempt at portraying some of my youth, for my future kin to read about, so that I am not just a bunch of pictures in a album that mom and dad drag out.

Steve

Psyche
post Apr 18 10, 00:10
Post #4

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Steve!

I greatly enjoyed and had a good laugh with this anecdote of your adolescence. Since you asked for opinions, I've just added a comma or two, not very much needed. TorT!!
You tell an amusing story in a few words. Congrats!
Syl***

QUOTE (ohsteve @ Apr 1 10, 03:55 ) *
I Didn't Do It

It was a time of innocence, a time when things were not rushed. No cell phones, no color TV, no transistor radios, no internet. There was always time for conversations, everyone waved and said hello. The neighborhood was large but the year round folks were few and all knew each other.

Night was singing its late springtime song. Five pale shapes moved in fits and starts along the dim moonlit path, towards a skinny rickety wooden bridge that spanned a small burbling brook. They were boys, on the cusp of adolescence; tall, gangly, skinny, you could probably count their ribs. Their quiet laughter, with a giggle or two, didn't travel far. They shoved one another, made some ribald comment about draining the main vein, with four me too's.

Five streams arched out and down to splash in the water below. Five nude boys peeing off a bridge at two o'clock in the morning, out on a dare that grew too fast to stop. They were to go down to the lake, skinny dip and return, sans clothes. One last initiation rite before the end of summer, before time turned them into the men they would become. A time to laugh at each other's shy gawkiness and to boast of future deeds... at that time of the morning the air is crisp, cool and fills a body with spirit; of course being nude tends to focus the mind very clearly.

The water of the lake was warm, the boys trying hard to hold in their natural exuberance, but it got away with water tag, splashing and dunking, diving up off platforms made with crossed hands, to cannonball someone else. All lots of fun until one cottage lit up like a firework explosion. A deep voice hollering out questions and curses at hooligans making such a racket at this time of night, and words about calling the sheriff.

The boys quickly but laughingly made their exit from the water and ran all the way back up the path sputtering water and hysterical relief laughs. They got into the tent, put on some underwear and climbed into sleeping bags, as they were supposed to be sleeping out. Their exuberance waned and sleep overcame them. They all had a hard time from grinning the next day when they heard about the drunken collage party that went on in the lake last night, the sheriff asking questions of everyone but the boys, and everyone giving their opinion to the sheriff.

It was quite a night, that I for one, being one of those boys, will never forget.

31 March 2010
© Steve Pray

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Apr 18 10, 00:13
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

BTW, Steve, this story is great for Odin. The deadline is April 30th. How about it?

I'm dipping into my files to see what I've got, maybe polish up an oldie...hmmm....my mind isn't too bright these days, hope I find an oldie...LOL...

Hugs, Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Kimi
post Jun 4 10, 00:01
Post #6

Babylonian

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 992
Writer of: Newbie to Writing
Referred By:merle

Hi Steve
I am glad I found this. It brought back a lot of memories of growing up. I found only one thing that I can critique and that would be using too many words to describe one object. It leaves very little to the imagination and stops the reader from absorbing the flow of the story.
I loved this short story, it had a lot of action and memories in such a short space.

hugs
kimi

·······IPB·······

If God is your co-pilot, you might want to switch seats. :)

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:36

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: