Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

One Infant Boy

A brilliant star in the heavens shines true
to chart my course on a camel astride.
While time doesn't pass for children at heart,
each moment: a reflection of great pride.

From the lands of Sheba I carry myrrh,
my lone gift to Nativity’s savior King.
Thereafter, I share with each child, gifts
of lasting ideals; of peace I do bring.

In such a tumultuous world, we pray
that our progeny parlays this joy;
the spirit, the hope and the unity…
the embodiment of one infant boy.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter 15 Dec 2006

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post Dec 15 06, 09:17
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Greetings, Lori. wave.gif

I'm still pondering this one, Lori. I like very much the message that you seem to be sharing in this. I'm just not sure of the language in a couple of places. Remember, that "I'm not sure" means that my impressions could be wrong:

It seems to me that the child would be rather the embodiment of hope, joy, unity, spirit rather than the other way around? Also the "I do bring" and "on a camel astride" seem a bit stilted. Also, though I like the alliteration of "progeny parlays", somehow that seems odd to my ear as well... but that could be just me, of course.

I know that this all sounds a bit negative, but I want you to know that that is not my intention. I'm just trying to let you know of what doesn't seem to befit what I've come to appreciate about your writing. I hope that makes sense.

Love in Light, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 15 06, 10:54
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for your comments - do you have any specific ideas on a re-write for those areas that are bothersome to your ear or message intent?

Cheers
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Dec 15 06, 13:06
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

As I had indicated, Lori, I'm still pondering...

but let me offer a couple of observations on the first stanza, part of which I don't yet understand?

I'm thinking that it might work to cast this in the present tense from the perspective of the narrator?

A shining brilliant star in the heavens shines true
[ 'shone' is past tense for shine, so 'shining' would seem redundant ? ]

to chart ing my course on the camel I'm astride.
While time doesn't pass for little children,
[ I'm not sure how the passing of time for children fits in here and what relevance it has to the 'each moment' that follows ? Please help my understanding here ? ]

I'll definitely be back to check in. My mind is a bit foggy, but not because of your piece!

sLightly blurry, Daniel chilly.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 16 06, 09:51
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(JustDaniel @ Dec 15 06, 13:06 ) [snapback]88654[/snapback]
As I had indicated, Lori, I'm still pondering...

but let me offer a couple of observations on the first stanza, part of which I don't yet understand?

I'm thinking that it might work to cast this in the present tense from the perspective of the narrator?

A shining brilliant star in the heavens shines true
[ 'shone' is past tense for shine, so 'shining' would seem redundant ? ]

to chart ing my course on the camel I'm astride.
While time doesn't pass for little children,
[ I'm not sure how the passing of time for children fits in here and what relevance it has to the 'each moment' that follows ? Please help my understanding here ? ]

I'll definitely be back to check in. My mind is a bit foggy, but not because of your piece!

sLightly blurry, Daniel chilly.gif

Thanks Daniel.

I hadn't even caught that one yesterday morning - the repeat of shining and shone - thanks - I've revised that line. sun.gif

I mean to say that time doesn't pass for those young at heart - in other words "Christmas" is remembered and celebrated by all ages each year (reflecting past holidays). I just tweaked that line (it was originally a challenge to use the line "time doesn't pass for little children". I've tentatively revised to:
while time doesn't pass for children at heart but am wondering if this might work better:

while time doesn't pass for the young at heart ?

Look forward to your return Daniel!
~Cleo xmastree.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 16 06, 15:06
Post #6

One Infant Boy

Maybe... 'with a camel's stride'? And for line 3 maybe... 'While time doesn't pass for the child-like heart,'? I confess I read the other posts before commenting and I think 'young at heart' would be a bit cliche. It would also include adults who are children at heart.

I gotta run for now but I'll be back later to take a closer look at the rest of the poem.

Cathy Snowflake.gif

of lasting ideals; of peace I do bring.

In such a tumultuous world, we pray
that our progeny parlays this joy;
the embodiment of one infant boy.

Blank_Canvas
post Dec 17 06, 08:19
Post #7

Greek

Member No.: 15

I agree with the observations about a camel's stride, or my camels' stride, and about the child-like heart. Seems to improve the flow of the poem. The second verse, L3 & L4, also seems to trip me up when I read it. The only suggestion I have is (and you probably can come up with better):
Thereafter, I unknowingly gift each child,
with lasting ideals...the peace that giving (or possibly sharing) brings.

Love the message in this piece and the beauty of it's form. Good luck with your revisions, and I'll check back to see what you do with this one.
Marcia

·······IPB·······

"...We are born into the world like a blank canvas
and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
So it is that we develop.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

1981 Javan (from the book " Meet Me Halfway" )

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Dec 17 06, 12:21
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

I am beginning to see your intent a bit more clearly now, I think ?

QUOTE(Cleo_Serapis @ Dec 15 06, 06:51 ) [snapback]88611[/snapback]
One Infant Boy

to chart my course on for a camel's a stride.
While Time doesn't pass may stand still for a child[-] ren at[-]heart,
with each moment: a reflection of great welling pride.

my lone gift to Nativity’s Savior[-]King.
There Ever after, I share with each child, gifts[:]
of lasting ideals; of it is that peace I do bring.

In such a tumultuous world, we I pray
that our progeny may parlays this joy;
this embodiment of in one infant boy.

I'm afraid that I'm not terribly patient with myself in trying to explain the 'why' of some of my suggestions or observations, so if you have a question that what I offer does not obviate, please feel free to ask... or just ignore.

As you know, my 'style' of critique is usually to simply offer a perspective graphically, without cluttering the page with words. It's what I like from others, so I offer it myself. Explanations are sometimes the statement of the obvious, when we 'see' it, but of course other questions come from those observations.

There is no one GOOD way to critique... but I will say that I would love to do it how Liz does! But I've learned not to try. I'm me. Idea.gif

Lovin' the process, Daniel running.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post Dec 18 06, 07:30
Post #9

Hi, Lori,

been a while since I read you. I like the thrust of this but the metre fails for me in places. Would you consider an anapaestic ballad format for this? I think it would give you more freedom as well as adding structure, and the opening line already sets up that expectation.
[quote]a BRIL/iant STAR/ in the HEAV/ens shines TRUE - 4 beat anapaest quote]

Of course, that would mean alternating tetrameters and trimeters but much of this already fits the pattern and some slight changes could bring the rest into the mix.

[quote]A brilliant star in the heavens shines true
each moment: a reflection of great pride.[/quote]
The first line is a good opening, the 'true' sets this up beautifully. To develop as a ballad though, lines 2-4 need some work. The template rhythm would sound something like this;

de de DUM/ de de DUM/ de DE DUM/ de de DUM
de de DUM/ de de DUM/ de DE DUM
de de DUM/ de de DUM/ de DE DUM/ de de DUM
de de DUM/ de de DUM/ de DE DUM

though it is acceptable to substitute an initial iamb to introduce the stress quicker for the reader; de DUM, de de DUM/ de de DUM/ de de DUM. I have no intention to rewrite your piece but a suggested first stanza could be;

A BRIL/liant STAR/ in the HEAV/ens shines TRUE
to CHART/ my life's COURSE/ from aBOVE,
and TIME/ doesn't PASS/ for the CHILD/ in my HEART,
each MOM/ent's a LIFE/time of LOVE.

Just suggestions, of course, yours to use or lose,
Jim

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 18 06, 07:55
Post #10

Hi Lori,

Only one other observation (for now anyway LOL) and that is...

of lasting ideals; of peace I do[will] bring.

Gotta run~ Time to get Blaise off to school!
Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 21 06, 20:07
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello Cathy, Marcia, Daniel and Jim. wave.gif

I appreciate your visit and suggestions and just wanted you to know that I've read them and I'll be back to reply to each of you after the holidays when time finds me again. running.gif

Happiest of holidays to you all. dove.gif

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:09

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: