post Sep 2 05, 10:25
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Update: Here is the OVERLAY page I just completed. It can serve as a start for discussion. As a design idea, I took some elements from a few different sites, while maintaining the forum board's look and feel. Trust me, it's ALL HTML hand-coded by the Cleo.  wave.gif

Please let me know what you think...  Wizard.gif  vic.gif

Click HERE to view this alternative forum entry page (in draft)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Navigation concerns:

I cannot think of any other ways to make MM simplier to navigate, other than to design an over-lay optional page. Each forum board itself will look and feel the same once you are in the actual forum.

To navigate around MM today, we have the following informtation:
[*]Category links: Will direct you to that section of the forum, e.g. For the Poet in You.
[*]Forum links: Will direct you t that specific area of writing on the board, e.g. Seren's Synapse, our freeform poetry for critique area.
[*]The Team List link to contact the staff (near board stats).
[*]The "Contact US" form on the home page. Here is the link as well.
[*]The current forum board display (restictions by Ikonboard out of my design control)  with descriptions of what is inside each forum.
[*]The written site map (link at top of page and on home page) with a link back to the home page Here.
[*]The graphical index site map here.
[*]The 'send message' buttons/links in each post to PM a member.

Your ideas are welcome to assist with ideas.
TY!
~Cleo  :block:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 2 05, 13:40
Post #2

Hi Lori,

On the navigation issue, yes we have a form of graphical interface but it is rather ponderous - big pictures and lots of screen - screens - to navigate.

I'm looking for a better example but, in the meantime, take a look at this UK supermarket website (link below). Being a supermarket site, it lacks art but the easy structure is a good example to others. When I find a better interface site I'll link it here.

I offered to help last time but you said you had a web designer working on it so I left it. I'll mock an idea up and send it to you to see what you think. You don't have to do everything - plenty of people are willing to help. And, since you'll be putting any design into the system, nothing that you don't like can go on anyway, so I'd relax :) I know someone else has also offered to help so it would be good to consider that approach, too.

Anyway, here's the link but I'll find better still within the weekend.

J.

Waitrose Supermarket (UK)

Apparently, one can even buy babies from that site (bottom row) Amazing.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 2 05, 19:19
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

It's not the ikonboard interface, it's simply a .com HTML page with links to the ikonboard forums and code behind the scenes made to look like the forum board.

Much like our own www.mosaicmusings.net homepage but designed to 'look like' the forum.

Here's a few more made to 'look like' the forum board but they're really not...

http://www.whatchamissin.com/

http://www.netgimmicks.com/

I like Net Gimmicks. They've employed a few more hacks that I haven't - the recent posts display and the top posters stats but if you look around this overlay page, you'll see some things that look like you're on the forum board, e.g. the 'Member Log in' and 'Options' boxes on the right of page and the 'Welcome Guest' log-in or register link top left. The Board stats are in the center (top). The Navigation links and the forum links (left of page are just html code that links you into the forum board...

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Sep 3 05, 01:00
Post #4

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Hi James,

Waitrose Supermarket

The babies look very cuddly, I'll have two those please. laugh.gif  How does one go about adoption papers? Do they arrive witha nurse and nanny?

cool.gif

It's ok, I'm just reading what you and Lori are discussing.

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Sep 3 05, 01:36
Post #5

Thanks for the links Lori

I still think they look cluttered, far too much text which spin your head.  I like something that I don't have to hunt around to find where I log in for example or where the forums are.  I want my eye drawn straight to the forums I want to view, in the case of MM Poetry and Prose.  I'm not interested in who are the most prolific posters.

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Sep 3 05, 02:34
Post #6

Hey, a 3 for 2 deal on babies? Cute! Are mine too big to sell?  

Ah well ...

MM is by far the most positive, in depth, freindly site I have come across and I agree with Nina - it's my home from home.

I'm also thinking that the up-front pages need to be very very simple - text to absolute minimum. Sure, the information needs to be on site, but not in any detail on the main pages. That would also make the pages more compact - less scrolling (hey - I must be a poet now, lol)

I do think that having poetry and prose (and maybe newbies, if that becomes an option) up at the top would be good, too.

Some boards do have a 'newbies' area where people can introduce themselves and try their hand at posting.  It just requires a few people to keep an eye on the area and respond to any newbie greetings/questions.

Fran

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 3 05, 02:58
Post #7

Hi Arn, Fran,

Waitrose are very obliging and I'm sure will take Fran's brood and deliver down under.

Seriously, though, shows even the best can make mistakes.

I still that that Waitrose site is a good indicator of the right direction (just needs to be more attractive). Nina's right about attractive simplicity and Fran's right about highlighting things to encourage new-comers - Lori, Nina, Fran, Arnie and I will be here anyway.

More links if / when.

J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 3 05, 06:48
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nina @ Sep. 03 2005, 02:36)
Thanks for the links Lori

I still think they look cluttered, far too much text which spin your head.  I like something that I don't have to hunt around to find where I log in for example or where the forums are.  I want my eye drawn straight to the forums I want to view, in the case of MM Poetry and Prose.  I'm not interested in who are the most prolific posters.

Nina

I agree with you Nina!  :grinning:

Too cluttered!  :alien:

That's why I never put those hacks into MM. I also don;t think we care who has the most posts and what the recent posts are (as we can tell both by other means on MM)...

laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 3 05, 06:59
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Toumai @ Sep. 03 2005, 03:34)
MM is by far the most positive, in depth, freindly site I have come across and I agree with Nina - it's my home from home.

I'm also thinking that the up-front pages need to be very very simple - text to absolute minimum. Sure, the information needs to be on site, but not in any detail on the main pages. That would also make the pages more compact - less scrolling (hey - I must be a poet now, lol)

I do think that having poetry and prose (and maybe newbies, if that becomes an option) up at the top would be good, too.

Some boards do have a 'newbies' area where people can introduce themselves and try their hand at posting.  It just requires a few people to keep an eye on the area and respond to any newbie greetings/questions.

Fran

Thanks so much Fran!  hsdance.gif bowdown.gif

Yes - simplicity is a good thing! I will keep looking at sites and as I find them, I'll post the links.

What are the most important areas to showcase on this new 'overlay' page?

1. Poetry forums (which ones and how)? Two separate links: one for Herme's and one for Serens OR one link to the poetry category instead? You can view the links already done in our site maps and graphical index.....

2. Prose forum -  link to Stonehenge forum or to the category instead? You can view the links already done in our site maps and graphical index..... (Remember Loch Ness is a members-only forum).

3. We could even use our existing Home page design without the scrolling effects down the left side?  That area of the page can be re-coded with a few 'special taglines, links' etc.

4. A button, image, link etc of how to contact us with questions.

5. A link to the newbie forum (if we open one up) but we would seriously need to require membership at some point for guests to access this (unless we make it a requirement)?

6. A blurb about our mission.

Would we want to include any images on this overlay page (so its not just all words)?

I can re-arrange the forums. (I might need to re-do all the links though for the site maps). I had it that way at opening actually. Poetry, then prose then the competitions then site info and misc.

If you want, let me know and I'll re-arrange the categories so the "For the Poet in You comes first, followed by the Prose category. I think the Site Info section should follow and then the Comps section. Say the word...

I was thinking of merging Ankgor Watt Accolades into Plato's as is, perhaps if I did that, we could re-use that forum for the newbies and I would post that up top?

What do you think?

Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 3 05, 16:42
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

OK guys and gals. HONEST feedback please.

I've been working on this most of today (I couldn't help it - honest - the CODE was calling me out)!

Anywho... I'd like to see what you think of it.  kitty.gif  mouse.gif  :block:

Here is the OVERLAY page I just completed. It can serve as a start for discussion. As a design idea, I took some elements from a few different sites, while maintaining the forum board's look and feel. Trust me, it's ALL HTML hand-coded by the Cleo.  :wave:

Please let me know what you think...  Wizard.gif  vic.gif

Click HERE to view this alternate forum entry page (in draft)...

Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 3 05, 17:07
Post #11

Hi Lori,

1. I think you're mad - I said you didn't have to do it all yourself.
2. I think you're mad - no one hand-codes any more.
3. I think you've produced something which is far, far better than the board interfaces I've seen before. No, not there yet but very much on the way in my opinion - really well done.

I'm zonked tonight - after flashing, watching cricket, doing some jobs and debating with you about New Orleans. So I won't add anything tonight. But I did want to say I thought this looks really promising and to congratulate you for this big step forward. Thank you very much for your hard work.

Just one point I can say straight away. When one does click a photo line, the result is disappointing. That is because the page one links to appears simply as the blurb at the top (terms / condidtion etc). Can we possibly move all that blurb to the bottom of those pages (yes this is rather different from what you're working on but it occurred to me and so I'm mentioning it now). That would enable the pinned topics to be at the top and others to flow down. The terms and conditions and guidance would still be easily available but youldn't be "in your face".

Thanks again Lori - well done. I'll offer further suggestions asap.
J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 3 05, 18:34
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello James! wave.gif

Thanks for replying so quickly! Well, didn't I tell ya that I'm an old fogie when it comes to web page design? rofl.gif It's the only way I know how to write pages and add things to MM. talktohand.gif

1. I think you're mad - I said you didn't have to do it all yourself.
2. I think you're mad - no one hand-codes any more.
3. I think you've produced something which is far, far better than the board interfaces I've seen before. No, not there yet but very much on the way in my opinion - really well done.

I think know I'm mad!  :lion: Well, thank you for your confidence in draft #1! galadriel.gif

I'm zonked tonight - after flashing, watching cricket, doing some jobs and debating with you about New Orleans. So I won't add anything tonight. But I did want to say I thought this looks really promising and to congratulate you for this big step forward. Thank you very much for your hard work.

I haven't flashed yet myself (or done the TEN) - been working on this !@#$ thing (in a fun way)! LOL.gif

Just one point I can say straight away. When one does click a photo line, the result is disappointing. That is because the page one links to appears simply as the blurb at the top (terms / condidtion etc). Can we possibly move all that blurb to the bottom of those pages (yes this is rather different from what you're working on but it occurred to me and so I'm mentioning it now). That would enable the pinned topics to be at the top and others to flow down. The terms and conditions and guidance would still be easily available but youldn't be "in your face".

This one is a no-can-do because the wording at the top is our forum participation rules (and this is where Ikonboard puts them), and any link into a forum will promptly sit you right at the top (where the legend is --> e.g. Mosaic Musings » For the Poet in You (Poetry Forums) » Herme's Homilies (Rhyme and Meter and FIXED FORM Poetry for Critique) . I figured those were the 'popular forums' so I've placed some images there and ALT tags too when you mouse over the images (with the actual forum names).

Thanks again Lori - well done. I'll offer further suggestions asap.
J.

Thanks! I may send out a mail from my yahoo account tonight to some of our members to refer them to this thread as well.

Have a good night!
Lori  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Perrorist_*
post Sep 3 05, 19:10
Post #13

I like the alternative (not alternate) web page but would like to make one suggestion.

Could the captions for the forum images on the right appear below rather than above, which is counter-intuitive. It's not a big deal but I jumped to the wrong forum because I was following the convention of most other sites.

Oh, I've just spotted this. Could FAQ's become FAQs. Thanks.

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 3 05, 19:17
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Perrorist @ Sep. 03 2005, 20:10)
I like the alternative (not alternate) web page but would like to make one suggestion.

Could the captions for the forum images on the right appear below rather than above, which is counter-intuitive. It's not a big deal but I jumped to the wrong forum because I was following the convention of most other sites.

Oh, I've just spotted this. Could FAQ's become FAQs. Thanks.

Thanks very much Perry!  :sun:

Suggest away - that's what this tile is for.  :gandalfg:

Good feedback, I usually have heading above images, however, if others feel this is counter-intuitive too, then it is an easy swirch to make on my part.

I will plan to make that change tothe FAQs heading in the morning per your request.

LOL! Does anyone remember that old 80's flick: Weird Science? It's on tv right now and Peter and I are ROTFLOAO! rofl.gif Hard to imagine that The Dead Zone's Anthony Michael Hall was 1/2 of the science in this movie and also from one of my all-time fav comedies, 'National Lampoon's Vacation'. Gosh, where does the time go?

Back to my silly diversion....

Cheers Perry!
~Cleo  :cheer:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Sep 3 05, 23:17
Post #15

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Everybody

Well the click a picture, instant access, is a good start for the visitor to tour the site. Bit of a touchy point-- does the name Mosaic Musings educate the reader? Is an alteration needed? (I dont mean to alter the (Mosaic Musings) part of the title.

I think the changes to the MM opening page, so far, are positive and an improvement.

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Sep 4 05, 00:22
Post #16

Hi Lori

Well done with all your hard work on the Overlay page it is looking great and a big improvement on the previous graphic interface.

I have to agree with James.  When you click on the lick from Overlay to the forum it is very offputting to be confronting with a huge chunk of writing.  Would it be possible instead to put the forum rules on a separate page and simply have a link to it at the top of each forum page saying "Please read Forum Rules before Posting"  Most people don't read them anyway except when they first start posting and it would look much better when clicking the link to actually see the threads.

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Sep 4 05, 00:29
Post #17

Hi Lori,

Wow - it looks stunning! Well done! Very neat and attractive.

Would Nina's idea work?

Fran

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 4 05, 06:16
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arnfinn @ Sep. 04 2005, 00:17)
Hi Everybody

Well the click a picture, instant access, is a good start for the visitor to tour the site. Bit of a touchy point-- does the name Mosaic Musings educate the reader? Is an alteration needed? (I dont mean to alter the (Mosaic Musings) part of the title.

I think the changes to the MM opening page, so far, are positive and an improvement.

John

Hello Arnnniieeeee the Fiiiiiinnnnn!  :troy:

Thanks for stopiing by!  :dance:

I'm not certain what you mean by the name of the site?

Are you asking to ditch the logo on this alternative page?

Cheers!
~Cleo  :sings:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 4 05, 06:27
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nina @ Sep. 04 2005, 01:22)
Hi Lori

Well done with all your hard work on the Overlay page it is looking great and a big improvement on the previous graphic interface.

I have to agree with James.  When you click on the lick from Overlay to the forum it is very offputting to be confronting with a huge chunk of writing.  Would it be possible instead to put the forum rules on a separate page and simply have a link to it at the top of each forum page saying "Please read Forum Rules before Posting"  Most people don't read them anyway except when they first start posting and it would look much better when clicking the link to actually see the threads.

Nina

Hi Nina.  rainbow.gif

Thank you very much!  cheer.gif

Old habits die hard - here's the good news: Check out Herme's now. There is an option when adding forum rules to a forum that I never used (until this morning after reading your post here). The one I always used before says,  Show Link to Forum Rules? then there are three options:
1. Yes, show a link
2. No, display the text above the topic list
3. Turn off (Don't show either)

As you can guess, I always chose option 2. I have just edited Herme's with option 1 instead. Now, all you'll see is a link like this at the top:
» Forum Participation Rules (and the words are poofed away)  grinning.gif

If you click the link, the actual rules appear with another link at the end of the text:
Go back to the forum
Golly! It even shows a 'Last Updated' date & time too. (I had to make edits to the rules for our Copyright change back to the original).  :pharoah2  cloud9.gif

I've also just added a blurb to that link line so it looks like this now:
» Forum Participation Rules; Please read before posting in this forum

Of course, one can click that link OR use your back arrow on the IE.

Thanks for prodding that request of James'! I will now go and update the rest of the forums with the same process (just a link to the forum rules instead).  cool.gif  dance.gif

Hope this helps!
Cheers  king.gif
~Cleo  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 4 05, 06:29
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Toumai @ Sep. 04 2005, 01:29)
Hi Lori,

Wow - it looks stunning! Well done! Very neat and attractive.

Would Nina's idea work?

Fran

Hi Fran!  :wave:

WOW! Thanks very much! Cowboy.gif

Yes - Nina's idea worked. Updatingthe forum rules now.

COOOOOOOLLLLLL!  :cool:  ???  :grinning:  :upside:  :oops:  :blush21:

Cheers!
~Cleo  :sings:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 18:21

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: