as seasons changed. We searched the chaos felt

until our soul is bourn aloft. We feel!
We feel our soul is bourn aloft until…

S1/L1&L4 did read: The winter’s snow
S2/L1&L4 did read: The sound, on spring’s sweet breath
S3/L3 did read: or fly away beyond our reach

Thanks Lori writersblock.gif

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 29 13, 10:21
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Larry,

I love these SQ sonnets! lovie.gif I am still thinking on a more detailed crit but wanted to pass an observation on at this first reading.
Could you replace the word "the" in lines 1 and 4 of each stanza? For example (to illustrate) in S1 maybe change The winter's snow to Harsh winter's snow?

cannot erase. The sound, on spring’s sweet breath,
brings joy to every dew bedazzled face
of blooms along the road. New life from death
on spring’s sweet breath. The sound cannot erase

maybe change to Sun's instead of 'the' to read as:

cannot erase. Sun's sound, on spring’s sweet breath,
brings joy to every dew bedazzled face
of blooms along the road. New life from death
on spring’s sweet breath. Sun's sound cannot erase

Be back again soon!
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Sep 29 13, 21:08
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Lori,

Thanks for stopping in for a read and a crit. Let me address your suggestion. In the first stanza, "The" is a definite article and in its position is iambically necessary to maintain the rhythm. The only substitute for that start would be ("A" winters snow) in order for it to work on the swap in the fourth line.

In the second stanza, I am referring to the sound of the honey bee being carried on the wind to the flowers by the road. You may have misread my meaning and that is the reason you suggested using a possessive "Sun's" to replace "The". I think if I were to use a possessive "Its", that might work in both the first line and the swap line.

Whaddaya think?

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 30 13, 17:16
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry,

Oh yes! I see it now! smart.gif I do think changing S1's "the" to "A" winter's snow would appeal more (to me anyway), lol!
And absolutely - Its sound, on spring's sweet breath. hsdance.gif

Why not give it a go? Idea.gif
Cheers Larry!
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Oct 1 13, 00:01
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Okay Lori,

It has now been tweaked and after a couple of reads, it is better! Thanks for the help.

Does it need more????

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 1 13, 07:16
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry! wave.gif

Oh yes, I think S1 & S2 are very good! hsdance.gif Now, for the rest:

the chaos felt as seasons changed. We searched
emotions but like winter’s snow, they melt
or fly away beyond our reach, besmirched

I wonder if you could replace 'winter's snow' above so as not to repeat those words? Perhaps something like 'Jack Frost's kiss (not IP though OR 'blizzard's breath (or kiss)? Then something else for 'fly away' - maybe dissapate?

the chaos felt as seasons changed. We searched
emotions but like blizzard's breath, they melt
or dissapate beyond our reach, besmirched

until our soul is bourn aloft. We feel!
We feel our soul is bourn aloft until…

I don't view "feel" rhyming with "until" in your closing couplet. Could you take another looksie there? Read.gif
Cheers,
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Oct 1 13, 23:59
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Hello again Lori,

"Winter's snow" in S3 is used to reiterate and emphasize the premise of the first line of the poem in that "A winter's snow" like emotions are merely ephemeral events which melt or fly away as seasons (or circumstances) change.

I do like the suggestion of "dissipate" replacing "fly away" and shall use that but I'm afraid I'll have to keep the dual usage of "winter's snow" in the piece. Besides, a "blizzard's breath" would not be easily forgotten and the weather event isn't the subject of the poem.

The constant search for logical meaning in all the changes we experience throughout life as we strive to understand those changes. The seemingly inconsequential events which stay with us like the sound of a honeybee buzzing from flower to flower and fully understanding why something so insignificant is really so important. This is order out of chaos and continued life from death and the final thought of "does this extend to us as well?".

As far as the final rhymes, "we feel" and "until" are what Espy considers to be a perfect rhyming iambic foot. Sorry if it doesn't work for you.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Keith Logan
post Oct 2 13, 00:28
Post #8

Babylonian

Member No.: 5,188
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Larry,

An interesting read and within the strictures imposed by the form, I can't make any sensible suggestions. So well done.

Keith, the happy chappy

Larry
post Oct 2 13, 10:08
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Hello Keith,

Welcome (or welcome back) to MM and thanks for stopping by for a read. I don't remember you but, I've only been here for a little over 7 years.

Looking forward to reading some of your posts.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:19

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: