Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all.  wave.gif

Recently, a discussion began regarding the idea of creating a new category of forums (would be located at the bottom of the board) titled "Member Showcase" that would house your own works.

This category would contain a forum for EACH of our Admins, Praetorians, Centurions and Gold Members where you could COPY and PASTE your own works to serve as a centralized record of works you choose to put there (forums ON REQUEST) - NO CRITS. This would be a place where you can keep track of your selected works.

I could do a few things in the forum set-up:
[*]Make it so only the groups mentioned above could start, read and reply to topics.
[*]Make it read-only for our Silver & Bronze members.
[*]Make it available to guests.

Some of the feedback I've received thus far include;

Others may think differently, but personally I'm not that bothered about having my own forum to post copies of my work. I have all of my poems and stories on an access database on my PC and I am in the process of uploading most of them onto a website which I have set up.

I have copies of all my work on my PC anyway, and backed up elsewhere. I suppose the new system would allow them to stay on MM as an additional backup?

The benefits are endless. Recently ezboard was a part of a mass hacker attack where we lost most (almost all) of our posts. I had a forum I used as a database there, but everything is gone.

Let's say your computer freezes up, and the only way to fix it is to reset it from its original state and this would mean losing all of your files. You would still have your work stored at Mosaic Musings. Let's say that you have works on another site, such as poetry 911-and it crashed, losing it all. You would still have an archive of your work here.

Great idea!

It would be for work that has been posted, critiqued and revised that you feel its a finished piece for others to access, without having to go into forum archives searching. Actually each writer's choice of a small collection of what they consider their best work. No comments or additional crits.

On reflection this seems like a very good idea. Often I want to check back on a posting and this can be a long and tedious business. It would also help when trying to find a particular piece written by another member that I am keen to read again.

I am posting this thread to obtain feedback on this idea. Yours is MOST welcome! Idea.gif

Thanks!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif  dragon.gif

post script - 08 AUG 2005:

Stay tuned - I am going to revise the initial thread.

My apologies as I am using the wrong techno terms which is causing confusion here with this new idea...

I do not mean that MM will serve as a data storage back-up facility (thanks James, Peter and Don) as I mentioned earlier. My bad.

All we're offering is a specific category for members to put copies of their work(s) making it easier for them and others to browse. I term this as a "reference repository" in my words.

Even if this new category was a back-up, the Terms of Service specifically (in paragraph 14 section b) absolves MM from any legal action resulting from loss of data. We take reasonable precautions to ensure that data will be available in the event of a complete system crash. However, I recommend that you all have a back-up copy of your works somewhere other than on our (or any other forumboards) system.

If our database is lost, it would not affect only this new category of forums, it would wipe out the whole forum board's database. I can assure all that not only do we have our own back-ups but in the event of a crash, we also have an offsite copy (within a couple of days old) and that provider also does tape back-ups too.

Having just said that, I want to say this is a place for selected works copied by the member (which would be the forum names = member names) as they choose to showcase their talent 'at a glance' instead of having to search through every forum for that member's posts. Also, the search feature by member name will populate not only topics started by that member but also all their replies. This is a much more convenient way to read works by a specific member.

Does this clarify my idea?
Cheers!

~Cleo  

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 2 05, 10:00
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE (Cybele @ Aug. 02 2005, 09:55)

Hi Lori,

I think this is a very good idea.  Not only to quickly locate our own posted pieces, but also to find the poetry and prose of other members when we wish to nominate a piece for some award or simply re-read those lovely pieces that struck a chord with us originally. Also, as we have so many new members, the earlier pieces remain read by just a few.

As we control our own postings we can be sure that only those pieces we wish to refer to or want others to have easy access to are posted to the tiles.

Hi Grace. Fish.gif

Thank you!  lovie.gif

I think we'll need to make sure to include in our instructions for this new category (for those who wish a forum there) that the members also provide a LINK (the URL) where the post actually is located on MM (be it in a crit or non crit forum) so the reader is referred to the real thread(s) for their comments. Idea.gif Of course, they could also utilize the 'send a PM' feature too for feedback to the writer directly.

I keep referring to this idea as a 'library of records'. Being such, I am debating whether or not to allow replies there. I think we should NOT allow them so as to keep it purely a repository.

What do you think?

~Cleo  hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   Member showcase forums?   Aug 2 05, 08:43
- - Cybele   Hi Lori, I think this is a very good idea. ...   Aug 2 05, 08:55
- - Cybele   Hi Lori, QUOTE I keep referring to this idea as...   Aug 2 05, 10:48
- - Cleo_Serapis   Shall I make a forum for you Grace? Any other tak...   Aug 8 05, 05:34
- - Jox   Hi Lori, I don't see the point in copying til...   Aug 8 05, 08:21
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi James. I'm always looking for ideas - however ...   Aug 8 05, 09:16
- - Cybele   Hi Lori, :pharoah2 SQUOTE hall I make a forum fo...   Aug 8 05, 09:49
- - Cleo_Serapis   I'll plan on this week and let you (and all) know ...   Aug 8 05, 09:54
- - Jox   Hi Lori, I was amused by your answer :) If membe...   Aug 8 05, 10:05
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi J. AS we discussed in email, the point is to g...   Aug 8 05, 19:34
- - Jox   Hi Lori, et al, I've now received explanation...   Aug 9 05, 05:38
- - Arnfinn   Hi Lori, Sent me computer away for Hols on 5th Au...   Aug 9 05, 06:01
- - Don   From Don: I must admit to being weak grasping ben...   Aug 9 05, 08:38
- - Cybele   G'day Arn, Yer back me old cobber. Yippie...   Aug 9 05, 08:42
- - JLY   Lori, I have read the comments from my M. M. peers...   Aug 9 05, 11:37
- - Cleo_Serapis   Looks like I need more explaining here: I am offe...   Aug 9 05, 12:09
- - Cleo_Serapis   My apologies as I am using the wrong techno terms ...   Aug 9 05, 17:09
- - Don   Dear Lori, I never had any doubt of your intentio...   Aug 9 05, 17:23
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Jox @ Aug. 09 2005, 06:38)Thanks and g...   Aug 9 05, 17:30
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Don @ Aug. 09 2005, 18:23)Dear Lori, ...   Aug 9 05, 17:34
- - Don   Yes Lori I was thinking the prime purpose, up fron...   Aug 9 05, 17:52
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Arnfinn @ Aug. 09 2005, 07:01)Hi Lori,...   Aug 9 05, 18:13
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Don @ Aug. 09 2005, 09:38)From Don: A...   Aug 9 05, 18:21
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (JLY @ Aug. 09 2005, 12:37)Lori, I have...   Aug 9 05, 18:26
- - Nina   Hi Lori I think showcase forum is a much better n...   Aug 10 05, 01:05
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Nina @ Aug. 10 2005, 02:05)Hi Lori I ...   Aug 10 05, 05:07
- - Cybele   Hi Lori and Nina, QUOTE Hi Lori I think showcase...   Aug 10 05, 05:33
- - Cleo_Serapis   You are most welcome Grace! Enjoy as I will!   Aug 10 05, 05:42
- - JLY   Lori, I would love to see a Showcase Forum....the ...   Aug 10 05, 05:49
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks John! I've added the new category and 4 s...   Aug 10 05, 06:33
- - Don   QUOTE (Nina @ Aug. 10 2005, 02:05)Hi Lori I ...   Aug 10 05, 07:27
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks Don. The new Showcase is up now with 4 me...   Aug 11 05, 05:33
- - Cathy   Hi Lori, I think it's a great idea! ...   Aug 11 05, 07:08
- - Don   QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Aug. 11 2005, 06:33)Tha...   Aug 11 05, 07:21
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (larrysgirl5548 @ Aug. 11 2005, 08:08)H...   Aug 11 05, 07:44
- - Ephiny   Hi Lori.. Could I sign up for a forum as well ple...   Sep 1 05, 08:56
- - Cleo_Serapis   Will do Lucie. Look for your showcase in the new ...   Sep 1 05, 09:28

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 17:24

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: