Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I write with my eyes closed
Guest_jackthrockton_*
post Jan 26 10, 10:31
Post #1

Hello all,

I am a novice poet, but experienced writer. I have authored two books, hundreds of articles, and thousands of totally and completely forgettable corporate works. While my passion has been in prose, I have found of late an abiding interest in poetry.

As a newbie, I have no style as yet. I'm exploring different forms and pushing myself to simplify my work, as my poems are sometimes too subtle to many who read them. I write with my eyes closed most of the time. When I write non-fiction, my eyes are open. But in poetry, they are always closed. I use sounds of words and parts of words to generate the lines. Sometimes, the sounds are very clear and the words follow accordingly. Other times, I hit a wall. I hear nothing, see nothing and write nothing.

Of the 20 or so poems I have written so far, I can pick out the one line in each that people will comment on most. I love feedback of all kind, good or bad, if given with honesty but without cruelty. Some critics, I have found, offer very constructive analyses; others seem more intent on reconstruction.

I look forward to participating in the forum.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Larry
post Jan 26 10, 11:47
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Jack,

Welcome to MM where I'm sure you will be able to hone your poetry and writing skills. There are many Forums and a very eclectic group of writers who frequent this site. I appreciate your letting us know the level and type of critique you are looking for when you post your work. The Forums are self-explanatory as to what should be posted and the critiques, for the most part, are merely suggestions which you may take or toss at will. We try not to do "rewrites" unless the posted poem/prose/etc. begs for clarity. I've only been here for a year and a half but have received much more in knowledge/skill/writing ability/constructive assistance than I ever did in school. I hope you find this, as I have, a place of contemplative reading and creative writing which will challenge your mind and ability in prose and poetry.

Again, Welcome.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Jan 26 10, 15:56
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hello jack,

Welcome to MM and thanks for the intro.

I hope your experiment into poetry is rewarding and you manage to develop a distinct style of your liking. I have been writing poetry for ten years now and have still not explored all the avenues although these days I do have certain preferences.

For me, each new poem demands a specific form, style and character, so each of my 200 aprx. works are completely different and individual. The poems write themselves, so consequently I am always experimenting.

I know a successful poet who only writes fantasy sonnets and although exceptionally well crafted, after reading a few of his works they all become predictable.

Whatever your goals, I wish you joy from your pen and a friendly muse.

Cheers,

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Eisa
post Jan 26 10, 17:01
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Hello Jack & WELCOME TO MM PartyFavor.gif

I look forward to reading your work and hope you enjoy a wonderful poetic journey here.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 26 10, 18:18
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Jack and welcome to MM! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

As mentioned in PM, I hope you find MM a place of interest and added learning. I have been trying to transition to prose (fantasy story in the works, I should say the outline still, lol) for quite some time and find the journey fascinating but difficult. I would imagine it's a similar experience for you to transition from prose to poetry. Like Wally, I have experimented with many different forms of poetry (I shy away from free verse personally) and keep coming back to R & M. When I started writing in 2002, some more experienced poets would tell me my feet don't dance. dance.gif Luckily and thankfully, they stuck with me; their knowledge transfer and patience has helped me immensely over the years.

We all strive for the perfect critique I think, one that really lifts the writer, and shows them when the message isn't clear as well as offering solid, friendly advise on how to make their works shine. It's a difficult task, but one I truly enjoy. I find reading other's critiques to be a huge help too, when the feedback is positive and beneficial. I wish you well in your own writing adventures!

Welcome. wave.gif
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

merle
post Jan 27 10, 05:45
Post #6

Assyrian

Member No.: 756
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Winning Writer's web site

Hi Jack -

Yours has to be one of the most enjoyable intros I've ever read. I can't wait to see what you can do with a poem. MM is one of the best constructive writing sites on the web and we leave the cruelty at home. Have fun!

Robin

·······IPB·······

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Jan 28 10, 03:57
Post #7

Hi Jack, I've waited for years to holler that in an airport with innocence on my face...lol. Besides my poor humor welcome to MM. We are an eclectic bunch here, but we are also like a small family, we argue, we holler, we take care of each other and we care for one another. We try to be helpful, and upfront and honest in our comments with out commenting on the poet, just the poem. There are challenges here to stir your muse should it need help, there is Karnaks to show you all types of forms, we have form writers and free writers, we have cross overs. Anyway welcome to our home.

Steve

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:19

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: