Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:N/A

There once was a lass from Connnecticut
Whose charms she kept wrapped in her petticoat
Til along came a man
With a slow roving hand
Now where is Connecticut's etiquette?

·······IPB·······

Values are to integrity as spirit to spirituality ... the one is needed that the other is sustained ~ Sam

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 26 07, 19:11
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

LOL.gif

Too funny - Oo.gif - if I had to make a nit Sam, it would be to add the punctuation and remove those caps when they don't start a new sentence. petticoat is a near-rhyme but works well in this retelling? rofl.gif

Enjoyed!
~Cleo laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

4rum
post Nov 26 07, 19:21
Post #3

Assyrian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 456

High School Lit. was in 1966-67. Mizz Hazel (Hazel Gwinn, it was a proper practice to call a teacher Miss (first name) back then), would give you a zero if the first word of a line of poetry was not capitalized. I've only been writing a short time but old habits die hard.

Thanks Lori, your points are right on as usual. Good of you to visit.

Sam

PS... had to check... here is a link with some good, generally accepted rules and several examples.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Grammar_Mishaps__C...alization_Rules

·······IPB·······

Values are to integrity as spirit to spirituality ... the one is needed that the other is sustained ~ Sam

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 10 08, 05:32
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Hi Sam - this is one of the funniest limmericks I've read in a long time. Thumbs up!

Snow Snowflake.gif

I agree with Lori about not starting lines with capitals (unless beginning a sentence)

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

4rum
post Jan 10 08, 05:55
Post #5

Assyrian

Heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy ... no fair ! ! ! Miss Hazel died 20 years ago... you guys gangin' up on me ? ? ? laugh.gif

(seriously though, thank you for the kind comment.)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Jun 30 08, 14:32
Post #6

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi,

I agree that this is just "too funny!!!" Great job!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

4rum
post Oct 6 08, 14:09
Post #7

Assyrian

There was a sweet lass from Vir-gin-i-a
Who scrivined her lines to in-fin-i-a
Pulling her leg
Brought smiles to Miss Peg
Like she'd not had in mill-en-i-a

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Oct 6 08, 15:43
Post #8

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Thank you, Sam!! I'm thrilled!! hsdance.gif hsdance.gif hsdance.gif

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Oct 6 08, 19:33
Post #9

Sam, I was taught the same rules in high school 64-68, but rules change, the way people write change, I am learning with lots of help from MM folks.
Steve

4rum
post Oct 7 08, 00:42
Post #10

Assyrian

Hi Peggy;

Glad you liked the little limerick. They're fun and they not only allow a lot of vers-atility, they encourage it! rofl.gif

Sam

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

4rum
post Oct 7 08, 01:14
Post #11

Assyrian

'lo Steve;

I probably have more respect and admiration for the sincere and dedicated efforts exhibited here than any other site I've ever seen. I'm also deeply grateful for the permissiveness extended to me personally in posting material that is not nearly on par with much of MM's content.

I understand and accept that literature needs some discipline, however, my personal reflection remains that if in the persuit of proper spelling, grammar and punctuation, we stifle creativity, then we are guilty of the greater disservice. We should continue to grow and improve our intellect with gentle regard for the station of others (this site does that, by the way). Above all, we need to reflect on what we seek as the reward for our work. If it is perfection (which I don't see as unreasonable for those that NEED it), then that is where the satisfaction will lie in our writing. If it is joy of expression, then we must rejoice at the completion of our thoughts successfully committed to paper. If it is sharing friendship through the common bond of penning and exhibiting, then that is where our inspiration will come from (thank goodness again for sites like MM).

In short ... ha,ha (I have issues with LOL) ((gawd... that's the first time I've committed it to text!)) we should have a wish to learn. We should be appreciative of good, sincere help when offered. We would do well to align ourselves with caring people who overlook some of our shortcomings and are a constant source of encourgement (hmmmm ... sounds like Lori don't it?) and lastly, we need to allow ourselves the satisfaction that even though a piece is ever open to improvement, when we can accept it as finished, it is then standing example of our own creativity.

Thanks for your encouragement Steve.

Sam

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Oct 9 08, 06:30
Post #12

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Good one Sam, in the true spirit of the limerick wich started as a dirty ditty. Only one nit for me, there seems to be an extra syllable in L2 but otherwise great.
Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

4rum
post Oct 10 08, 03:55
Post #13

Assyrian

Thanks Thoth;

Could be a regional thing with pronounciation. I count 10 in L1, L2 and L5. When I went to check I DID find a typo. Too many n's in Co nnn ecticut.

Thank you for reading and commenting. The limerick was written to and for a wonderful lady in Pawcatuck. Afraid to go for that one ... obvious reasons ohmy.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_prerna bala_*
post Jan 13 09, 06:57
Post #14

oh, weeeeeee!
that was great, i mean the lmrk and the comments and the links.

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Jan 13 09, 14:19
Post #15

Sam, somehow I forgot to come back and say your welcome, yes MM is a great place.
Steve

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 19:47

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: