Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Terry,

A pleasant image here that offers a soothing calmness to my psyche for some reason. I'm headed to the pond across the road in a bit and will think of this poem while I'm there enjoying the scenes and sounds. sun.gif

SInce haiku is so restrictive on word choice and syll counts, I suggest trying to find substitutes that further describe the river and the roots (to replace 'the' and 'in' as they tend to appear more as filler words.

A few ideas to mull over are:

By the river (where, at the edge which tells the reader where on the river we are to imagine : By the river's edge)
acorns (what about these acorns? Are they bobbing in the water, are they strewn across the soil, are chipmunks in sight collecting them?: squirrels pluck bobbing acorns )
roots in the flow (acorns are rooted in the current of the pull?: rooted in the flow)

Hope this helps!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Terocon101
post Aug 16 07, 18:45
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 440
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Ephiny

Hi Cleo, I'm glad you enjoyed, and the thought of you by the pond, pondering my ku brought a smile to my face. wizard2.gif

BTW. Sorry I actually forgot to include a word that was in my original notes for this dunce.gif : 'muddy'

by the river
acorns
roots in the muddy flow

I came across this scene in a beautiful wooded area which is near enough to my home that I can walk there in about an hour. A little bit of poetic license is used, as it was a chestnut tree's roots(and chestnuts) in the flow, but I thought the oak more complimentary for the image, its longevity and strength are useful here as it battles to hold onto the bank while the river erodes away the earth from its roots.

I'm afraid, as always, I've taken a nice simple natural image and instilled some pathetic fallacy and metaphor into it. But it's one of the things I love about haiku, the parallels between nature and (un)civilization can be played out so beautifully subtle, yet straight to the point.

The main factors in this one are the eroding earth , the immovable oak the unstoppable river and the perilously poised potential of the acorns.

I know this one might take some effort to make it work and I'm very grateful to you for highlighting the places where it is failing/ or rather where I am failing. Although wouldn't 'roots in the flow' suggest a river bank setting?
I also tried to keep the number of images(river/acorns/roots) to a minimum as well as the adjectives(muddy) and verbs(flow).

As always, I'd be delighted if you've any more suggestions along the way, as this may take some time to get right.

Possible revision.
acorns
by the river
roots in a muddy flow

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates."

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 17 07, 09:15
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello T. wave.gif

Well, for starters, can you think of words that you just replied to me with that you can incorporate into the haiku? The erosion of the earth - maybe the acorns are falling into a gap in the river bank and the roots have 'caught them' bouncing them back into the river to float/bob in the movement (think of adjectives here) or perhaps bouncing them onto land to root into the soil and become the mighty oak? So I assume you aren't going with the traditional 5/7/5?

Be back again!
~Cleo Read.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 17 07, 10:38
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Cleo, yeah I'm gonna try find a way to make this work, in my short experience writing them I've been in this kinda stalemate a few times, sometimes it flows but every now and again it's a bit of a battle, you know yourself. The words always come eventually, he lied to himself unconvincingly. garfield.gif

Maybe focusing on just one acorn would work better. And if it's falling into the river it will suggest the oak and its proximity to the river. I think 'muddy' kind of suggests erosion, but for L3 I'm at a loss as to how to bring the roots in, it's important because I want the oak in a precarious position. Maybe 'roots' is the wrong angle altogether, branches, leaves.........

falling acorn
to the muddy flow
oak leaves

Thats a bit of a different meaning than I wanted but 'leaves' works as noun/verb. Ummm..

5/7/5...no, from what I've been seeing from contemporary English writers, I think that rule is more for the Japanese language. If a seventeen syllable English haiku was translated into Japanese it would probably use twenty or more syllables. I think I learned that here. thumbsup.gif
But I'll probably write a few 5/7/5 eventually or maybe by accident, hehe.

But I'm sticking to all the rest of the rules though. Phrase and fragment, show not tell, kigo/season and nature themes and subjects, no more than 3 images, not too many adjectives, verbs are a bit of a gray area. But as soon as you think you have it figured out, some other rule pops up, like double kigos, direct metaphors and god-knows what else...

I've been surfing the ol' web and a few different haiku sites, so maybe in another ten-fifteen years I'll start to get the hang of it. LOL

But then of course there's my favorite rule....'Rules are there to be broken' LOL

I'm gonna try a bit of SQ revision, chat you later.

Best wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Aug 21 07, 12:13
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Hey, Terry...

How about something like this... if you don't mind my characteristic twists:

acorns
root along the bank;
muddy river waves

Lightly, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 22 07, 05:58
Post #7

Laureate Legionnaire

Hi Daniel,

I'll be back, not much time to reply at the moment but I really like your ideas here and will be revising asap.

Cheers

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Aug 25 07, 13:22
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

I think your last revison, Terry, presents some entirely different impressions ?

It's my impression that when one works on a haiku, revising it, one works to clarify the original impression that was felt when the haiku was fostered. However, from that vantage point, of course other impressions may well flow... but as they flow they drift further from the original impression... unless they're caught in the eddy of the original acorn, methinks.

Lightly prodding, Daniel sun.gif

a corn ball
gets edgy a long river;
cast tomatoes root

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 25 07, 15:19
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Terry, wave.gif

FANTASTIC! nicerev.gif

This really seems to 'flow' much more in my own mindset - nice job! claps.gif

~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 26 07, 14:49
Post #10

Laureate Legionnaire

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ Aug 25 07, 19:22 ) *
I think your last revison, Terry, presents some entirely different impressions ?

It's my impression that when one works on a haiku, revising it, one works to clarify the original impression that was felt when the haiku was fostered. However, from that vantage point, of course other impressions may well flow... but as they flow they drift further from the original impression... unless they're caught in the eddy of the original acorn, methinks.

Lightly prodding, Daniel sun.gif

a corn ball
gets edgy a long river;
cast tomatoes root

Hey Daniel,

Umm...Yeah, I agree, definitely. Although I admit my aha moment is a little vague in this one, I hope it still conveys my original thoughts upon coming across this scene:
A mature oak on the bank of a river(on the edge), exposed roots(unstable), acorns scattered,some surely fell into the river although I did not witness this.Nature's struggle for life.

But I don't like to close off windows of interpretation, especially if there was a particular one which was working that I was unaware of... I know 'roots' was working as a noun/verb(roots of the oak and acorn roots), I think that's still viable... ... I'm not sure of what it could be that I've overlooked.

Looking at your edit, which I do like, I wanted to focus on the oak tree a bit more, reasons as stated above. Even though I coulndt mention the oak because that would be too much for a ku, so I suggested it with shaded and the falling acorn.

Sorry if something was lost in this ones evolution...

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 26 07, 15:00
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Aug 25 07, 21:19 ) *
Hey Terry, wave.gif

FANTASTIC! nicerev.gif

This really seems to 'flow' much more in my own mindset - nice job! claps.gif

~Cleo galadriel.gif

Hello again Cleo,

It's hectic around here lately eh? Loads of good poetry and good people, I wonder do those two correlate?? LOL, Don't answer that... upside.gif

Thanks for your response and all your help with this one. I really got flustered with it there at times, it's definitely a bit more polished now. Still, I haven't felt that 'click' that tells me it's all fallen into place, but sometimes that never comes I suppose.

I think the image is there, I just think I've left TOO much work up to the reader this time, for them to get it. Maybe thats a bit condescending, LOL.

Cheers again!!

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Aug 30 07, 03:30
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12

Nice revision Terry pharoah2.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Aug 31 07, 10:04
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

I fully agree with the others that this is a fine revision. goodjob.gif Please note that I was not EDITing your piece, but merely, as I very often do... utilize some of your words differently to emphasize one or more of the perspectives that you seem to have indicated. The purpose of that ALWAYS is to give the original author the opportunity to see his/her own work through the eyes of another for a possible change or for cementing the author more firmly in the original use or another perspective that occurs in the process. It's always up to the author.

This post has been edited by JustDaniel: Aug 31 07, 19:03

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 31 07, 11:59
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Daniel - please post your poem in the faux-ku thread in Karnak so as NOT to distract from Terry's poem in his thread.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JaxMyth
post Sep 18 07, 22:03
Post #15

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 408
Referred By:IBPC participant list

For a proper haiku Terry, there should be a kigo or season word that establishes when the poem was set. The kigo is followed by the fragment. As in all things the 'rules' are made to be broken *smile*. Jane Reichhold has some marvelous links here.

http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm

Regards,

Jax

·······IPB·······

Terocon101
post Sep 19 07, 09:08
Post #16

Laureate Legionnaire

QUOTE (JaxMyth @ Sep 19 07, 04:03 ) *
For a proper haiku Terry, there should be a kigo or season word that establishes when the poem was set. The kigo is followed by the fragment. As in all things the 'rules' are made to be broken *smile*. Jane Reichhold has some marvelous links here.

http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm

Regards,

Jax

Hi Jax,

Yes I'm a big fan of breaking the rules every so often but not in this attempt. I think Autumn is suggested by the falling acorns, although that may depend your longitude/latitude, I do try to keep it simple as possible.
I dislike mentioning the seasons directly, as it gets boring in such a short form and it's nice to leave a bit of work for my enduring reader magiccool.gif

PS. Thank you for the link. I am always interested in reading up on the subject. If you've any other good ones don't hesitate in sending them my direction. Read.gif

Best wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Oct 4 07, 17:47
Post #17

Assyrian

Member No.: 468
Referred By:self

a falling acorn
into the shaded flow
muddy roots

Hi Terry!

I concur with everyone else your revision is most excellent. I caught the seasonal influence...but then...I live in the south with millions of oak trees...lol. Great job!

(((Hugs))) Pami xoxox butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

A relaxed attitude, and a heart of gratitude, increases life whilst joy doth exude! <:))))><

Terocon101
post Oct 12 07, 18:51
Post #18

Laureate Legionnaire

LOL, Hi again Pami,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply.

I look forward to your critique as they are so good for my ego, LOL. Kidding... garfield.gif

Delighted you enjoyed this one, it was not the easiest one I've written so it's nice to know the effort was worth it. Although "it is it's own reward", as Seamus Heaney says. Read.gif

Also, while I remember, and because we're not supposed to post expressions of mere gratitude, I'll piggy-back this post and say a big thank-you to Cleo and Daniel for their help and thank Snow and Jax for their comments, you too Pami. bowdown.gif claps.gif (Look 4 hands!!! magictongue.png )

Best Wishes

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 13 07, 09:21
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Terry,

I'm fuzzy on your above comment, "we're not supposed to post expressions of mere gratitude". Of course you can, and we encourage that feedback wherever possible. cheer.gif

I very much enjoy this poem, whether it officially meets the params or not (and I cannot say as I'm a noob to this form too), who cares! It is a wonderful image you've created that lingers. And that is the intent of our forum - to wake your muse and create wonderful expressions with words.

You've done so here with seeming ease!
~Cleo pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:45

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: