JustDaniel
post Dec 20 06, 10:49
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

What a graphically grim picture, Cyn. The flow of this is masterful, methinks. Maybe the dialect needs some work...

and you know how much I struggle with end stops, but I FEEL that the lines are too long ?

Wish I could help more... but I want you to know that this has the makin's o' sumpthin' spechul!

deLightin' in yer creativity, Daniel sings.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cyn
post Dec 20 06, 12:56
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 145

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ Dec 20 06, 15:49 ) [snapback]88927[/snapback]
What a graphically grim picture, Cyn. The flow of this is masterful, methinks. Maybe the dialect needs some work...

and you know how much I struggle with end stops, but I FEEL that the lines are too long ?

Wish I could help more... but I want you to know that this has the makin's o' sumpthin' spechul!

deLightin' in yer creativity, Daniel sings.gif

I just went ahead and shortened the lines, see if that helps
Thanks Daniel, as always

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Dec 27 06, 20:36
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

I have revised this one as well

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Dec 27 06, 21:57
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

cheer.gif WOW... Cyn, this is forceful, with harsh reality as the trigger of powerful images and a wondering tone. The inner alliterative partnerships with words through out and other sound devices bring out the poetic over tone like a shined diamond. I loved the voice you've used. It invites the reader to sit down on a porch swing, with the narrator, sipping a cool glass of homemade lemonade, looking out onto fields that once were the livelihood and playground to 'those' hands I can see so clearly in my mind. I am there...sitting...listening to this man's longing for yesterday voice...wondering where did those years go, the people...the times. And how...such losses ... all gone, and yet, never bled. I loved the linking of these events in the man... As blood, being a symbol of life itself... (in my opinion) and so I linked it.

Some minor thoughts, but I must say that your revision really doesn't leave much to nit pick about. Just some Bravo's to sing "thank you for this read" ...

Hugs and Happy Holidays, Liz

These Hands

Good title.

When’d my hands get so old lookin’, he wondered, these same hands
that built this house. A saw took this ring finger

Because the title says..."these hands' perhaps beginning the first line as...

when'd they get so old lookin', he wondered, these same hands
that built this house. A saw took this ring finger

Just might alleviate that too quick, too close repeat of 'hands'

clean off, hardly bled at all. These same hands, before they were all
bent and peculiar, tilled these fallow fields, barren as the missus,

I LOVED these 2 lines. especially how nonchalantly, 'barren as the missus' sort of flutters off the tongue as if in casual conversation, and yet such powerful meaning. I also wanted to commend you for the line break choice, allowing the thought... the power of his wife being childless settles in, before coming to learn of her death... Excellent poetics. A double slap of life's realities and still you maintained that steady, casual smooth voice of the narrator... which makes the poem!

before the cancer took her, after Doc White took her ovaries and the chemo
took her hair. Looked jess like a baby bird, she did. Like this fledgling mewling

Again... not a nit.

in these hands, its wing bent and lifeless, mangled foot clasping nothing.
The shovel blade against its neck, it hardly bled at all.
What a powerful ending. Very crisp, bordering brilliant.

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Dec 28 06, 01:41
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Liz I have altered this per your suggestion, thanks. Good one!
Cyn

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Aphrodite
post Dec 28 06, 09:40
Post #7

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7

Hi Cyn,

This is a rousing poem and your raw/slang tonality sets the stage for a moving poem with stark imagery. (interesting vernacular)

The only suggestion I have is to perhaps change the last word “wonder” (redundant) or, rework the last sentence a bit.

Happy holidays. Snowflake.gif Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Dec 28 06, 13:17
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

I think you are reading the original. The line with wonder had been dropped. The revised version is at the top of the page. Thanks for reading though

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Aphrodite
post Dec 28 06, 18:29
Post #9

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Cyn @ Dec 28 06, 18:17 ) [snapback]89179[/snapback]
I think you are reading the original. The line with wonder had been dropped. The revised version is at the top of the page. Thanks for reading though

Hey Cyn,

Whoops! I apologize as I was stuck on the original's last sentence.

The revised has a great "punch!"

Happy holidays.

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 21 07, 19:24
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Cyn.

Sorry I'm so late to read and comment! upside.gif

I definitely like your revised version more - the longer lines seem to make each image stand out more in my mind for some reason. The 'voice' is perfect here too and I feel the sadness of the MC, and how he relates life memories (through his hands) back to the fledgling, putting it out of its misery.

No nits here - best of luck in the polling -well deserved!

~Cleo woodstock.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Jan 23 07, 18:18
Post #11

Creative Chieftain

Thanks Cleo. I hope the main gist of this was not lost, that this man could help the bird but ot his wife. thanks for your encouragment
Cyn

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 25 07, 18:11
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Yes - there is connection to that, in the closing line (the shovel), so the meaning is clear.

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 24 07, 13:30
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats Cyn on your Member Choice award winning tile! claps.gif

Well done!
~Cleo dance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Feb 24 07, 15:13
Post #14

Creative Chieftain

WOW
I did not know it had been nominated! Thanks to whoever nominated it and those who agreed! What a great surprise!

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 25 07, 09:02
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Cyn.

A well deserved award! highfive.gif

We're trying a new approach with our Member Choice and COM (Critiquer of the month) award programs (a resurrection of sorts) and it goes something like this:
Any poems nominated for the monthly IBPC competition will be automatically nominated for our monthly Member Choice award poll. Additionally, any member can nominate tiles from the following forums: Herme's Homilies (Fixed Poetic Forms), Seren's Synapse (Poetic Free Verse), Plato's Pearls of Wisdom (Poetry Exhibition), Stonehenge (Short Prose), Pandora's Box (Monthly Challenges), and the Acropolis (Weekly Challenges) until the 5th of each month. On the 6th, the Member Choice poll will be posted.

We're trying to stick to a 'schedule of events and polls' to make it a more regular process here at mm.gif mm.gif. I've been posting the nomination thread around the same time we post the poll for the IBPC votes (generally the 22nd) over in the Valley of the Kings forum. Actually, the Feb Member Choice nom thread was just posted here: http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/index.php?showtopic=9848 if you'd like to take a peek. JackBox.gif

I digress.... as for this excellent poem, Liz was the one who nominated it for the IBPC Feb comp and I'd like to share her comments here in this thread with you and your readers.

I would like to nominate These Hands By Cyn as it is written with raw straight forward honesty. Gripping truths of a man's life that, perhaps is a nobody in the grand scheme of things, but how Cyn used the voice chosen, word choices and various experiences to link one event to the other brought about a unity between the narrator and the reader. I felt she used several poetic devices so skillfully that the poem sat with me, and I with it.

Good poem to read.

Hugs, Liz

Cheers Cyn!
~Cleo bowdown.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Feb 25 07, 09:07
Post #16

Congratulations on your Member Choice and IBPC Nom!! And good luck with IBPC!

Cathy

AMETHYST
post Feb 26 07, 16:45
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Congratuations Cyn, This is a striking poem and well deserving of any applause and praise. Best Wishes, and great admiration for some very fine poetry.

Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

azurepoetry
post Feb 26 07, 18:12
Post #18

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 217
Referred By:justdaniel

Cyn,

Yes, deserving praise, to a deserving poetess and poem. Well done!!

~tim

·······IPB·······

"What ceremony of words can patch the havoc?" ~ Sylvia Plath

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Feb 27 07, 05:37
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Congratulations PartyFavor.gif

Well deserved!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 27 07, 05:49
Post #20

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

Congratulations.

A feather in your cap

Best of luck!

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 18:46

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: