to face the harshness and the strain
of lives they’ve just begun.

The seeds were sown, to take first flight
on wings of bated breath,
albeit soon, with all their might
descend the dance of death.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Aphrodite
post Sep 14 03, 15:43
Post #2

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 7
Writer of: Poetry

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Sep. 14 2003, 15:19)
The Dance of Death

Their pitch was harsh, the sound was weak,
a nest was hidden high.
The woods were full of creature-speak
ignored by passersby.

A few were round, and some were slight,
concealed among the trees,
by parents pausing in their flight,
upon Spring’s warming breeze.

A sparrow brave, petite and frail
once perched with weary claw -
was swept away by Nature’s gale
and snatched by prowler’s paw.

The kill so swift, his silenced call
a sacrifice for hatch;
and broken wing, to mark his fall,
lay tattered in the thatch.

The clutch remained in warm domain,
their flock reduced by one,
to face the harshness and the strain
of lives they’ve just begun.

The seeds were sown, to take first flight
on wings of bated breath,
albeit soon, with all their might
descend the dance of death.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

Hello Cleo~

This is such a "stunning" poem, displaying the beauty of nature.

A wonderful and dramatic piece written very well.

TTFN~
lovie.gif

Aphrodite~Lindi

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Sep 24 03, 19:10
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Lori

I love nature poems and this one is no exception. You have told your tale so beautifully. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Read.gif

Snow lovie.gif   cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 28 03, 07:29
Post #4

Now why didn't Charles Darwin express himself like that?

I liked your poem for several reasons but mostly because it avoided the over-sentimentality which often goes with the subject.

Good show, Cleo!

Cheerio, Jox.

Guest_Don_*
post Oct 5 03, 07:29
Post #5

Your "The Dance of Death" is excellent, Cleo_Serapis.

I seem to remember this verse going through gauntlet of fire at PH/PK.

This verse depicts current trend of nature show entertainment.  An air of the sword of Damocles hangs above all the natural thespians.

Don Pharoah.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 03, 13:28
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE (Eisa @ Sep. 24 2003, 20:10)
Hi Lori

I love nature poems and this one is no exception. You have told your tale so beautifully. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Read.gif

Snow lovie.gif   cloud9.gif

Hi Snow!

Thanks for stopping in a my dance!

Not the 'normal' cushy feely type, but then again - neither am I LOL.gif !!

I like Nature and find the muse inspired by the things we sometimes overlook.

Glad you enjoyed!

~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 03, 13:30
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jox @ Sep. 28 2003, 08:29)
Now why didn't Charles Darwin express himself like that?

I liked your poem for several reasons but mostly because it avoided the over-sentimentality which often goes with the subject.

Good show, Cleo!

Cheerio, Jox.

Hi Jox!

Thanks very much for stopping in and commenting!

Cheers!

Me and Darwin in the same breath? Cool!  :cool:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 6 03, 13:33
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Don @ Oct. 05 2003, 08:29)
Your "The Dance of Death" is excellent, Cleo_Serapis.

I seem to remember this verse going through gauntlet of fire at PH/PK.

This verse depicts current trend of nature show entertainment.  An air of the sword of Damocles hangs above all the natural thespians.

Don Pharoah.gif

Hi Don!

Ahhhh YES - a good, yet HARD lesson learned at PH/PK...I learned how to refine the meter and rhythm which I am still learning to a point where I do not wish to make any firther revisions on this piece at this time.

The gauntlet was a little brutal, but I didn't give in! You know what I mean...

Yes - nature in all its glory and otherwise acts.....

Cheers!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 15 03, 09:47
Post #9

Hi Lori
Nature red eh?  There isn't anything to crit here. The rhyme and metre are spot on, and the polish shines through.

BUT. What happened to the rest of those little birds?

Drat that Cat!
Annubis has a lot to answer for.

A.

Cybele
post Oct 17 03, 10:34
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hello Cleo wave.gif

A very strong, dramatic, beautifully crafted poem. even if a little sad
it makes a great read. Read.gif

Congratulations Cleo cloud9.gif

Love

Grace farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 19 03, 10:18
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AkhenhatenII @ Oct. 15 2003, 10:47)
Hi Lori
Nature red eh?  There isn't anything to crit here. The rhyme and metre are spot on, and the polish shines through.

BUT. What happened to the rest of those little birds?

Drat that Cat!
Annubis has a lot to answer for.

A.

Hi "A"!  :troy:

Today, you're a Trojan!

Thanks very much, this one had gone through LOTS of re-writes and is my first 'metered' poem I can say that I am happy with.  :tie1:

Ahhh - that is another STORY (I still have to write)! Let's say: It's all up to your imagination!  :laugh:

Anubis and the Jackals - where's Bastet anyway? I'm sure SHE has ALL the answers!  :pilgrim: Yes, kitty kitty...

Cheers!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 19 03, 10:20
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Oct. 17 2003, 11:34)
Hello Cleo wave.gif

A very strong, dramatic, beautifully crafted poem. even if a little sad
it makes a great read. Read.gif

Congratulations Cleo cloud9.gif

Love

Grace farmer.gif

Hi Grace!  :lovie:

Yes - thank you - it is not your typical ending, but who ever said that I was normal or typical? LOL.gif  :laugh:

Thanks very much - this inspiration came from a poem by Charles Dickens with the same effect. I'm glad I was able to re-create the feeling!  :StarWars1:

HUGAROOOS!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Aggiel
post Oct 23 04, 04:12
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 80

Lori,

I follow you right behind on this nature trip and I bounce along too.

Most interesting poem with a jaunty feel. I so love nature poems, and

this one keep me wide-eye  all the way  ! : sun.gif

Regards

Lai

·······IPB·······

May all of us outrun any subsequent tsunamis.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 27 04, 05:21
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Aggiel @ Oct. 23 2004, 05:12)
Lori,

I follow you right behind on this nature trip and I bounce along too. Most interesting poem with a jaunty feel. I so love nature poems, and this one keep me wide-eye  all the way  ! : sun.gif

Regards

Lai

Hello Lai!  :StarWars1:

Thanks for stopping in here! THis is one of my favorites! I love bird watching!   dove.gif

This was one of my first attempts at a serious metered poem.

Glad you enjoyed!
~Cleo  :pumpkin:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Nov 8 04, 17:23
Post #15

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Lori,
For me, the essence of poetry is meter. Yes, sometimes I'll accept that the message trumps the cadence, but rarely.
There are several who seem to lean toward high approval of the metered aspect here. For me, that beat enables all the rest to be effective.
Effective, you bet, in every aspect. Some one said "Spot on". I must add that  phrase to my vocabulary and associate "The Dance of Death" with it.
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 11 04, 06:31
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (jgdittier @ Nov. 08 2004, 17:23)
Dear Lori,
For me, the essence of poetry is meter. Yes, sometimes I'll accept that the message trumps the cadence, but rarely.
There are several who seem to lean toward high approval of the metered aspect here. For me, that beat enables all the rest to be effective.
Effective, you bet, in every aspect. Some one said "Spot on". I must add that  phrase to my vocabulary and associate "The Dance of Death" with it.
Cheers,     jgd

Oh my Ron!  :lovie:  :lovie:

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding this piece.  :pharoah2

I took this ''beat" from a poem I read by Charles Dickens about a boy who dies from a sailing ship (a sad tale) but the meter hummed along and so I learned by his experiences in writing.

Cheers and thanks!
~Cleo  :cloud9:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Nefertiti
post Mar 24 05, 21:42
Post #17

Assyrian

Member No.: 11

Hello, Miss Cleo.

Yes, it's Nef resurrected yet again (at least for the time being.)  

Well, I may sound like a broken record, but how poignant this is.  SUch a touching tale in the (as my 6 year odl would say) "the circle of life."  How beautiful and cruel is nature, is this world.  You capture that well.

Big Traitorous Mini Peanutbuttercup Hugs,
Nef

·······IPB·······

I am who I am.

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 4 05, 18:04
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

NEF IS RESURRECTED AGAIN> WHIPPEEEE!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Thanks so much Beth. *waving to you from the East coast*  :wave:

The circle of life - I love that expression! Yes - it may not always seem fair, but it is usually for a reason.....  :mouse:

Big M & M HUGS right back!
GroupHug.gif

~Cleo  :cloud9:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Siren
post Jun 10 05, 20:21
Post #19

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Hey Lori,

This reminded of a poem I wrote when I was 14... the year my father died. I was sitting on the jetti which was outside of our garder, and I saw a sparrow fly by... and I began to write...

This was exceptional to read... Thanks for sharing.

Dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 15:33

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: