Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

REVISION

The seafront airs Thalia's joyful pleas
that dance against the pinewoods, moist with rain;
recalls an ancient shrine with russet frieze
and ruffles my sleek horse’s silver mane.

What dreams have slipped my mind these years, or by
which stellar laws have failed to lure my heart?
The tide is tanned with spume this dawn -I sigh
in sufferance, not wishing to depart.

In whispers, wraith-like shrouds beneath the sea
divine unwritten rules the Fates have found
to stay my soul, or souls who yearn for me

this morn. My mind forswears the spindle's sound,
as if today some secret, nameless key
unlocks the fount to sway my life around.

By Psyche.

Note:
1. Changed 'jesting' to 'joyful' in L1. Thalia is one of the Three Graces, who bring beauty, joy and happiness to men and Greek gods.
2. In S4, L1, used 'spindle's sound'. One of the Fates, Clotho, uses her spindle to provide the thread of life, which the others dispose of by measuring and cutting. The Fates spin out the destiny of babes, three days after they're born. They represent predetermination, as opposed to free will.

ORIGINAL

The seafront vents an adamantine breeze
that pounds against the pinewoods, moist with rain;
recalls an ancient shrine with russet frieze,
blasts my attendant horse’s mangled mane.

what stellar law have failed to lure my heart?
The tide is tanned with spume this dawn, -I sigh

Whispering wraithlike shrouds beneath the sea
divine unwritten rules the Fates have bound

this morn. My mind forswears such barren ground,
unlocks a source to sway my life around.

By Psyche.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Merlin
post Nov 27 15, 17:39
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Syl,
Nice imagery. I'd like to see a stronger word than "source" in the final line - source isn't all that romantic when I envision a Jeannie popping out of a tea kettle.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Psyche
post Nov 28 15, 00:56
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Merlin, thanks for dropping in here. I'll take into account your suggestion for the final line, tx a lot.

BTW, I put 3 ***, hoping that you or somebody would help me with the meter, as I'm not at all confident in that realm...LOL. Not an R&R poet at all, just hang on and do my best. Always ready to receive a good bashing in this forum!

Cheers, Syl***

QUOTE (Merlin @ Nov 27 15, 20:39 ) *
Hi Syl,
Nice imagery. I'd like to see a stronger word than "source" in the final line - source isn't all that romantic when I envision a Jeannie popping out of a tea kettle.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Luce
post Nov 28 15, 22:48
Post #4

Assyrian

Member No.: 5,293
Referred By:TCP

Hi Sylvia,

Very lovely sonnet. I've read it aloud a number of times and it sounds pretty much on meter, as much as I can figure out.

However, I'm in the process of learning meter so I can't give you a detailed crit. which would point out when a line is off meter. I basically rely on hearing pulses or strong beats right now.

Beyond the meter, I saw a few things you may want to consider changing:

Maybe "gone by?" instead of "or by".

I think you mean "has" and not "have". If you use "gone by", then "what" would be "What"

Use the comma or the dash - not both. I'd use the comma.

Luce

Merlin
post Nov 29 15, 00:05
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Hi again Syl.

I'm not really into the critique mode much anymore, as you may have gathered. I'll give a bit now and then, and since few others have jumped in, here goes I.

You have a few mangled metaphors that don't work. If it's a breeze, then adamantine isn't a good adjective, applying more to a storm than a breeze. Unbreakable breeze? Nah. Pounding against pines? Nah. Again in L7 it's this breeze that kicked up a spume on the tide – nah.
Mangled mane isn't the nicest description of your horse… maybe some plains nag.
You have “wraithlike shrouds beneath the sea” in L9, suddenly on “barren ground”, L12. Somebody parting the sea again here…

Back to S1, You have the seafront doing 3 things – venting, recalling, and blasting. I'm not sure of it doing the latter 2. How would it work if L3 moved up to L1 and having the ancient shrine overlooking the seafront, pinewoods and mangled mare?

S2L2 is singular “law”, therefore needs “has”. S2L1&2 should move to 3&4 to keep the thoughts together. Right now they come between the seafront and the tide. You're giving “sufferance” 3 syllables, but most say it in 2.

I'll leave you that for consideration. Your meter seems to be on, and thanks for not rhyming breeze with trees!

Merlin

·······IPB·······

JustDaniel
post Nov 29 15, 05:29
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Dear Syl, you write iambic perfectly,
so do not act as if you are not free
to flip those stanzas 'round as Merlin tells
you he might do at will with your pastels.

He's right that "breeze" cannot do what you write;
I'm sure that what you do will be all right.
I'd offer "sufferance" to how you'd say
that word, but "Wisp'ring" would give less dismay.

Whate'er you choose to "pound" against the woods
methinks would "drench" it; "moist" has not the goods.
And I'm not sure what "sway my life around"
means, but I think that you will hold your ground.

And one more thing, I'm curious about
your triads and their rhyme scheme; give a shout.

deLighting to read you, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Nov 29 15, 09:38
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Syl,

I had this all together at midnight last night but became tired and went to bed and this morning find that Merlin was also up then with a critter or two. (“Sufferance is three syllables”)! A lot of it along the same lines I noticed and then Daniel addressed more of it at the crack of dawn with a very passable sonnet of his own while inserting critique in his usual hilarious manner. I’ll just post this behind their two and let you weed out what you will.

Three asterisks, huh? Okay, here is the best I can do for you and I’ll let you take what I offer and go from there. You start with perfect IP and nice alliteration in S1 but “adamantine breeze” is kind of an oxymoron. If this breeze is only firm, a mere zephyr or gentle wind, it would not accomplish by its strength all you are assigning to it. Perhaps substitute “gale” for “breeze”. A breeze of any kind would neither pound against pinewoods nor blast your horse’s mane.
Your rhyming word at the end of L3 might then be changed to “veil” because it is also a type of decoration or to “bell” because a lot of shrines have them or even to “shell” because of where the shrine seems to be situated.
I did like the picture you paint of the raging seafront but was immediately put off by “breeze”. Something much more forceful is needed to match the pounding and blasting going on in that stanza and with more strength, drenched with rain could be a possibility.

S2/L2 – “which” in lieu of “what” (you used what directly above in L1) and then – stellar law “has” or stellar laws “have”

S3/L1 – You start with a dactylic meter (stressed followed by two unstressed syllables). Perhaps – “In whispers, wraithlike shrouds…”

I, like Merlin, also feel that for such a powerful and emotional poem need something more than “source” in the last line. Maybe “fount”!

This is a beautiful piece and you should come over to this side of the fence more often.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Luce
post Nov 29 15, 15:26
Post #8

Assyrian

Member No.: 5,293
Referred By:TCP

Hi Sylvia,

I usually don't go back to a crit but I should of explained why I liked your poem. It had a surreal quality about it that I enjoyed. It was part dream/part nightmare. Therefore, saying "mangled mane" fitted right in. It's a powerful image. At first I wanted something more pleasant to describe the horse's mane but tangled/knottled mane proved to be a clearer sharper image for me.

I'm glad you got more crits - especially for the meter. You're in good hands.

Luce

Psyche
post Nov 30 15, 01:55
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi there, Luce, Merlin, Larry and Daniel!

I'm absolutely delighted and grateful that you've taken into account my three ***.
Larry, you've spent time on my piece, words are not enough to express my thanks for your expert critique. I'm glad you like my sonnet...will try to jump in here to learn more.

Daniel, I was highly amused by your poetical crit. I envy the ease with which you handled your response to my *** pleas!

You're all so right about 'adamantine breeze'. I confess to having had my own doubts about that word, but sort of fell in love with it...LOL...it'll have to go.

Luce, you captured the mood of my sonnet very well. It was going that way, a mix of surreal, nightmares and metaphors that readers would find difficult to understand. Tx for returning to tell me that.

Merlin, you've given me quite a bashing, but I don't mind at all. I'll have to try to interpret your crit. I find it a bit complicated. You're so right, rhyming 'breeze' with 'trees' has been used too often, glad I evaded that one!

It's very late here, so I shall work hard on a Revision asap., taking into account everybody's advice, but trying not to get entangled by changing words that would then require new end rhymes and so on. Wow...BTW, I'd looked up 'sufferance' and found that it has 3 syllables!

Must off to bed now, tx and cheers,
Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Nov 30 15, 08:54
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

BTW, my offering sufferance to how you say the word meant that I agree with you. I'd allow you to have three syllables. Depending on the context, it CAN be pronounced with two.

deLighting in your re-visit, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Nov 30 15, 11:29
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

Sorry 'bout that, Syl.
I'm a stickler for perfection, so it has to be right for me. Fussy felix.

Re "sufferance", yes, it is 3 syllables in the book, and perhaps some even say it that way. I take the way things are pronounced most often - like chocolate - which is obviously 3 syllables. Do you know anyone who sez choc-o-late? Same goes for boundary, is it boun-da-ree or boundry? However, 3 passes. I was even told that some US states will pronounce children as chill-da-run!

Cómo sufrió por ella.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

AMETHYST
post Nov 30 15, 12:49
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Sylvia,

Beautiful work found here. It is a pleasure to be back reading such lovely images and your view, that only you can offer. First let me thank you for teaching me to new words, 'adamantine' and 'frieze,' both are wonderful words and I have never seen them, or if I have never knew what they meant. Thank you. I might borrow them in future works.

Now to this delight. As I have been out of practice and often have very poor memory, I might have forgotten some terminology or reference, so I will do my best. The rhythem is lovely, perhaps a line or two I felt a stumble, but was eased by the wonderful inner rhymes you have weaved. I especially liked partnership with law/lure in L6.

The transition from Stanza 1 to 2 is smooth. Liked that you take the reader from the view of the narrator to the inner thoughts -connecting them. S3 is my favorite it is chock full of smooth alliteration and deep thought. It inspires the reader to 'feel' the sense of excitement and fear of the unknown. I did however feel that S3 had more power and punch to it that your ending couplet, for which should be the real nugget.

That is minor compared to the enjoyment of this Sonnet and the possibilities it offers. Some minor thoughts in text, I hope I can offer something of worth. As for a name, I am going to think on some suggestions, but I think the title is most likely the most inner thought of what brought this to be born. Look into those thoughts you will find it.

Big Love and Hugs, Glad to be back - Love you, Liz

QUOTE (Psyche @ Nov 27 15, 01:02 ) *

each of these lines are lovely, offering crisp images and partnered with moving sounds. I especially loved L1 & L2 for the sounds quality coupletted by the visual feel. The only nit I had here was L4, I kept wanting to say pummels, but was not clear to the meaning of 'my attendant horse's mangeled mane' Did you mean that someone is with you travelling as an aide or assistant? Perhaps another word choice for attendant, some thoughts could include "pummels my helper's Stallion's mangled mane" - of course this might be just as weak, but it may inspire something that heightens the line.

I love this stanza. I tried to think of another alternative for 'what' in L2, only because of the repeat so close. Although it really isn't a nit at all, as it has its own contribution to both meaning and image. S2L4: in sufferance, reluctant to depart;

Loved "to stay my soul' the voice is so fitting to the poem itself...

I would still bring up the final line of S3 and end with a couplet. Perhaps ...

this morn. My mind forswears such barren ground -

unlocks the (suggest alternative) turning my life around -
perhaps port like portkey and port hole for which the narrator appears to be caught in another dimention of soul - I did like the alliteration of source/sway, perhaps I will return with better thoughts. Beautiful work.

By Psyche.

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Dec 1 15, 19:09
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

I have come to this a little late and I'm about to go to bed, but had to call & say - Stunning!

Syl, I think your break from writing has made your muse even stronger. I'll be back to this later.

Hugs
Eira

Pity about adamantine - such a lovely word that fits meter perfectly.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

RC James
post Dec 1 15, 22:20
Post #14

Assyrian

Member No.: 5,282
Referred By:Rhapsody

A lovely, wistful sonnet. I love that word "adamantine" As you know, rhyme and meter are not my forte, but I enjoyed the rhythm, unbroken, and the musicality of it. RC

Maureen
post Dec 6 15, 01:29
Post #15

Egyptian

Member No.: 5,178
Referred By:arnfinn

How lovely this is Syl - I like the use of words not so often seen in poetry and you mastered that well here - I don't think I would change a thing with it. It is a delightful piece.

·······IPB·······

Psyche
post Dec 12 15, 23:51
Post #16

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

OMG, I've been away from MM for a few days, so I hadn't noticed Liz and Eira's comments. Liz, you've made some excellent remarks, which I shall certainly take into account on revision.

And thank some of you for returning to explain and/or add crits! Shameful of me not to have worked on this one sooner. Seems I don't appreciate your help. But that's precisely why I come 'over the wall', to try to perfect my wobbly R&R!!

As Luce says elsewhere, attempting to preserve some good end rhymes, as well as meditating on wrong word usage or dicey meter, is enough to give one a migraine...LOL...

Nonetheless, you've encouraged me a lot, so I'll work on this one in Word. Then, hopefully, return with a better version.

Tx to all of you,
Syl***
PS: My desktop also crashed, so I've been figuring out how to use Windows10, which appeared on my notebook! Surprise. Not difficult, but takes time to change old habits! Bye for now.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Dec 12 15, 23:56
Post #17

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Thank you, Richard. It seems 'adamantine' is popular! But I'll have to remove it, because I'm happy with my end rhymes. Can't change those, I'm proud of them...LOL.

Will be back,
Syl***

QUOTE (RC James @ Dec 2 15, 00:20 ) *
A lovely, wistful sonnet. I love that word "adamantine" As you know, rhyme and meter are not my forte, but I enjoyed the rhythm, unbroken, and the musicality of it. RC

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Dec 13 15, 00:03
Post #18

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Tx so much, Maureen. I like to experiment with uncommon words, but all the same I'll try to follow Larry, Merlin, Luce and Liz's advice, as far as I am able.
Won't turn it all around, just some important bits.
You're all so encouraging. Inspiration is slowly returning.
Syl***

QUOTE (Maureen @ Dec 6 15, 03:29 ) *
How lovely this is Syl - I like the use of words not so often seen in poetry and you mastered that well here - I don't think I would change a thing with it. It is a delightful piece.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jul 5 16, 02:36
Post #19

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

This sonnet remained untouched for so long that I found it on page 3 of this forum. blush21.gif

I know it's still quite wobbly, but I'm hoping some patient sonnet expert will help me once more.

I left ***, so please go ahead without mercy, thank you!

And thanks to all who made such good suggestions the first time around.
I've used a lot of them, but changed the opening line completely.

Syl butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Jul 5 16, 13:02
Post #20

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Sil,

Your meter and rhyme scheme are excellent but I feel you should lose the spacing between L4/5 and the space between L11/12. Since you forgo the final rhyming couplet, your sonnet falls in the Italian category but into which one, I’m not sure. Your rhyme scheme is abab cdcd efefef and thus may fit in the Indefinable Sonnet category much like Shelly’s Ozymandias whose scheme is unique. I found what is called a Hybrid Sonnet which is a mixture of both the English and Italian forms. This form was used by John Donne among others. Your sonnet most closely fits within these two categories.

As far as a critique, I have little to offer except on your first line, you refer to “Thalia’s jesting pleas”.
This might cause confusion or consternation because there are 4 completely different Thalias in mythology. Thalia, one of the three Graces, Thalia, the muse of comedy and idyllic poetry, Thalia, a Nereid and Thalia a nymph and secondary goddess of vegetation. I narrowed those down to one of the Graces or the Nereid who came out of the sea to mourn for the future death of Achilles. Perhaps the Nereid would most closely fit with your lines: “In whispers, wraith-like shrouds beneath the sea divine unwritten rules the Fates have found to stay my soul”. Either way, your “untitled” poem is beautiful and I’m sorry I have no suggestions to alleviate that title aspect.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 16:07

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: