Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

REVISION

The seafront airs Thalia's joyful pleas
that dance against the pinewoods, moist with rain;
recalls an ancient shrine with russet frieze
and ruffles my sleek horse’s silver mane.

What dreams have slipped my mind these years, or by
which stellar laws have failed to lure my heart?
The tide is tanned with spume this dawn -I sigh
in sufferance, not wishing to depart.

In whispers, wraith-like shrouds beneath the sea
divine unwritten rules the Fates have found
to stay my soul, or souls who yearn for me

this morn. My mind forswears the spindle's sound,
as if today some secret, nameless key
unlocks the fount to sway my life around.

By Psyche.

Note:
1. Changed 'jesting' to 'joyful' in L1. Thalia is one of the Three Graces, who bring beauty, joy and happiness to men and Greek gods.
2. In S4, L1, used 'spindle's sound'. One of the Fates, Clotho, uses her spindle to provide the thread of life, which the others dispose of by measuring and cutting. The Fates spin out the destiny of babes, three days after they're born. They represent predetermination, as opposed to free will.

ORIGINAL

The seafront vents an adamantine breeze
that pounds against the pinewoods, moist with rain;
recalls an ancient shrine with russet frieze,
blasts my attendant horse’s mangled mane.

what stellar law have failed to lure my heart?
The tide is tanned with spume this dawn, -I sigh

Whispering wraithlike shrouds beneath the sea
divine unwritten rules the Fates have bound

this morn. My mind forswears such barren ground,
unlocks a source to sway my life around.

By Psyche.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
AMETHYST
post Nov 30 15, 12:49
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Sylvia,

Beautiful work found here. It is a pleasure to be back reading such lovely images and your view, that only you can offer. First let me thank you for teaching me to new words, 'adamantine' and 'frieze,' both are wonderful words and I have never seen them, or if I have never knew what they meant. Thank you. I might borrow them in future works.

Now to this delight. As I have been out of practice and often have very poor memory, I might have forgotten some terminology or reference, so I will do my best. The rhythem is lovely, perhaps a line or two I felt a stumble, but was eased by the wonderful inner rhymes you have weaved. I especially liked partnership with law/lure in L6.

The transition from Stanza 1 to 2 is smooth. Liked that you take the reader from the view of the narrator to the inner thoughts -connecting them. S3 is my favorite it is chock full of smooth alliteration and deep thought. It inspires the reader to 'feel' the sense of excitement and fear of the unknown. I did however feel that S3 had more power and punch to it that your ending couplet, for which should be the real nugget.

That is minor compared to the enjoyment of this Sonnet and the possibilities it offers. Some minor thoughts in text, I hope I can offer something of worth. As for a name, I am going to think on some suggestions, but I think the title is most likely the most inner thought of what brought this to be born. Look into those thoughts you will find it.

Big Love and Hugs, Glad to be back - Love you, Liz

QUOTE (Psyche @ Nov 27 15, 01:02 ) *

The seafront vents an adamantine breeze
that pounds against the pinewoods, moist with rain;
recalls an ancient shrine with russet frieze,
blasts my attendant horse’s mangled mane.

each of these lines are lovely, offering crisp images and partnered with moving sounds. I especially loved L1 & L2 for the sounds quality coupletted by the visual feel. The only nit I had here was L4, I kept wanting to say pummels, but was not clear to the meaning of 'my attendant horse's mangeled mane' Did you mean that someone is with you travelling as an aide or assistant? Perhaps another word choice for attendant, some thoughts could include "pummels my helper's Stallion's mangled mane" - of course this might be just as weak, but it may inspire something that heightens the line.

what stellar law have failed to lure my heart?
The tide is tanned with spume this dawn, -I sigh

I love this stanza. I tried to think of another alternative for 'what' in L2, only because of the repeat so close. Although it really isn't a nit at all, as it has its own contribution to both meaning and image. S2L4: in sufferance, reluctant to depart;

Whispering wraithlike shrouds beneath the sea
divine unwritten rules the Fates have bound

Loved "to stay my soul' the voice is so fitting to the poem itself...

this morn. My mind forswears such barren ground,
unlocks a source to sway my life around.

I would still bring up the final line of S3 and end with a couplet. Perhaps ...

this morn. My mind forswears such barren ground -

unlocks the (suggest alternative) turning my life around -
perhaps port like portkey and port hole for which the narrator appears to be caught in another dimention of soul - I did like the alliteration of source/sway, perhaps I will return with better thoughts. Beautiful work.

By Psyche.

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Psyche   Threads (revision)*** Changed title, was Sonnet IV.   Nov 27 15, 01:02
- - Merlin   Hi Syl, Nice imagery. I'd like to see a stron...   Nov 27 15, 17:39
|- - Psyche   Hi Merlin, thanks for dropping in here. I'll t...   Nov 28 15, 00:56
|- - Luce   Hi Sylvia, Very lovely sonnet. I've read it ...   Nov 28 15, 22:48
- - Merlin   Hi again Syl. I'm not really into the critiqu...   Nov 29 15, 00:05
- - JustDaniel   Dear Syl, you write iambic perfectly, so do not ac...   Nov 29 15, 05:29
- - Larry   Hi Syl, I had this all together at midnight last ...   Nov 29 15, 09:38
- - Luce   Hi Sylvia, I usually don't go back to a crit ...   Nov 29 15, 15:26
- - Psyche   Hi there, Luce, Merlin, Larry and Daniel! I...   Nov 30 15, 01:55
- - JustDaniel   BTW, my offering sufferance to how you say the wor...   Nov 30 15, 08:54
- - Merlin   Sorry 'bout that, Syl. I'm a stickler for ...   Nov 30 15, 11:29
- - Eisa   I have come to this a little late and I'm abou...   Dec 1 15, 19:09
- - RC James   A lovely, wistful sonnet. I love that word ...   Dec 1 15, 22:20
|- - Psyche   Thank you, Richard. It seems 'adamantine' ...   Dec 12 15, 23:56
- - Maureen   How lovely this is Syl - I like the use of words n...   Dec 6 15, 01:29
|- - Psyche   Tx so much, Maureen. I like to experiment with unc...   Dec 13 15, 00:03
- - Psyche   OMG, I've been away from MM for a few days, so...   Dec 12 15, 23:51
- - Psyche   This sonnet remained untouched for so long that I ...   Jul 5 16, 02:36
- - Larry   Hi Sil, Your meter and rhyme scheme are excellent...   Jul 5 16, 13:02
- - Psyche   Thank you so much, Larry, for reviewing my sonnet....   Jul 6 16, 15:33
- - Larry   Hi Syl, You did mention one of the names of the t...   Jul 6 16, 17:18
- - Psyche   Thanks again, Larry. I've reworked some lines...   Jul 10 16, 00:32
- - Larry   Hi Syl, I believe you have maintained the aspects...   Jul 10 16, 12:37
- - Psyche   Hi again, Larry, Thanks so much for commenting on...   Jul 10 16, 23:14
- - Eisa   Wow! This has come on since I last looked. I ...   Jul 14 16, 17:25
- - Psyche   Thanks so much for visiting again, Eisa. Glad you...   Jul 18 16, 00:31

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:09

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: