Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> POV and tense EXERCISE, please have a go
Guest_Toumai_*
post Sep 21 05, 05:58
Post #1

Please try this exercise to see how choice of tense and POV make a difference to a story.

Pick a very simple scenario and then use different combinations of tense and viewpoint to write exactly the same (very brief) scene.

Past tense with third person omnicient naration is the classic way of writing a novel but first person is very immediate (as the reader sees through the narator's eyes) and in the present tense can be very compelling for action sequences and thoughts.

I have had a very quick go and will post that as an example below.

Hopefully you'll come up with something a bit more exciting than mine, lol.

Fran

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 21 05, 17:25
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Thanks Fran for posting this exercise! frodo.gif

This looks quite fun and challenging! Iam enjoying the posts so far!

goodjob.gif all!

I'll try and participate when I can...

Cheers!
~Cleo :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jan 3 07, 10:35
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear Toumai,
First time I've wandered into this room.
What a great start! I've been devoted to poetry and haven't been reading novels much for years. Lotsa factual prose though.
Your initial posting was all new to me, I've read much but never had a course in literature writing or for that matter recognized the options the author has. I'm not
even very sure of which of your forms I prefer.
Fran, with poetry, I've been concentration on form to the detriment of message. Here you concentrate on form very similarly. I know this, in novels I've missed much by never appreciating the ploys the author used to entertain me.
I especially like the novel that's full of characters and sub plots such as Arthur Hailey wrote. Often chapters totally change the venue and so I expect Hailey must have changed the form in his novels frequently. Now I must go and reread one.
Any chance you could ID yours and if it's available, point me at it?
(My muse has been dormant lately, anyway.)
This last half hour was a delightful learning experience!
Cheers, Ron jgd

my e-mail is rbjones02@optonline.net

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: