Post #1

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 14
Writer of: Newbie to Writing
Referred By:Lori

This is MM's 90,000th post wink.gif

Guess I'll use it to let y'all know that the system monitoring tools have alerted me that one of the fans on the server's motherboard has failed and so needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, the motherboard we've now been running on since (as far as I can remember) late 04 early 05 is no longer made, and the new fans don't have the same size (won't clip on to this motherboard), and the only fans out there that will fit are refurbished (refurbished fans, that have the same bad service history of failing...) Luckily the computer right now is down in a cool area so the fan isn't really needed, but as we know, things running hotter than they should for longer than they should eventually do fail. I don't see it as being something that will fail in the next week or so but if it does I do have a temporary system I can use to bring things back up. So, for the time being I've set up an automated image program which copies the entire system to a backup every 12 hours (12:30 AM and 12:30 PM) so if the server does go offline the most data that could be lost is 12 hours worth.

On the bright side though, figuring it's a good excuse for building a new box and retiring this 5 year old one, I'm going to be building a new server over the next week or so (depending on how long it takes all the parts to show up). It's going to be a proper industrial-class server (rather than the retired desktop computer we had been using) with 8gigs of RAM, two CPUs, and two 300GB hard drives (set up as a RAID mirror again). If anyone's interested I'll post pictures of the assembly process. Once I've finished building and burning it in I'll set up a window to move the websites and databases over to the new box. Shouldn't take more than an hour at that point.

Take care!
I

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Eisa
post Dec 27 08, 14:38
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry

Peter - you are so clever!!

Thank goodness we have you here with your expertise. goodjob.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 2 09, 07:08
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Yeah -thanks I! pharoah2.gif

Wouldn't and couldn't have done this without you! cheer.gif

Much hugs - knowing Peter, the new server will be a "smoking hot commodity".

Best of luck with it when all the bits arrive! Couch.gif

~C pcgal.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 2 09, 07:09
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Please refer to Peter's new post in this forum for the scheduled window of opportunity:

http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/index.php?showtopic=12906

He writes in the link above:

Greetings.

Looking at the tracking numbers it appears that all the parts for the new server will be arriving over the next week and that I should be able to deploy and configure the system so that I can move the final bits of data over on Saturday, Jan 10 2009. This shouldn't take more than 1 hour to do and the work should start around 08:00 EST (13:00 GMT).

I'll update this thread as things progress. For those interested I'll also have a thread with pictures documenting the assembly and installation of the new server posted soon.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post Jan 2 09, 19:59
Post #5

Can I have the old one, I don't mind putting a refurbed fan in place....just recovered mine from a nasty virus that got past all my protection and corru[ted almost everything, I think I finally wiped it out but had to replace my whole windows Xp pro software and a lot of other things, am glad I had things backed up on line and on DVD and CD. Still trying to get computer back to full optimization... what a pain.
Steve

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 3 09, 10:04
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

As promised, here are the phase 1 pics of Peter putting together the bits (not all parts in yet) for our new server.

I'll label them below.

Cheers
~Cleo Pharoah.gif and Imhotep tut.gif

New case shipping box

New Processors (CPUs) in box

Side view of new case

Front view of new case

Case cable and screw kit

Drive bay Door open showing 8 slots for hard drives

Drive bay with one tray removed (shows hard drive connector for SAS drives)

Drive tray itself (lets drives be hot swappable otherwise known as remove while system is ON)

Inside the case with nothing installed except cooling fans and drive bays

Shipping box for motherboard

Motherboard screw, cable, and accessory kit

Motherboard

Motherboard installed in case

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 3 09, 10:09
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Processor, heat sink, and cooling fan

Motherboard with processors and heat sink installed

Assembled case with motherboard, processors, cooling fans, and airduct for fans installed.

This type of case does not use the fans that came with the CPUs since the big green fans on the right blow more air on them through the duct. All that's left is memory, SCSI controller, and two hard drives then we can install the software and start burn in.

Pics below of Peter fitting the motherboard and trimming the cooling air duct.

The case is so HUGE, Pete could fit his head in it! grinning.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Jan 4 09, 13:58
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

QUOTE (Imhotep @ Dec 27 08, 21:15 ) *
This is MM's 90,000th post wink.gif

Guess I'll use it to let y'all know that the system monitoring tools have alerted me that one of the fans on the server's motherboard has failed and so needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, the motherboard we've now been running on since (as far as I can remember) late 04 early 05 is no longer made, and the new fans don't have the same size (won't clip on to this motherboard), and the only fans out there that will fit are refurbished (refurbished fans, that have the same bad service history of failing...) Luckily the computer right now is down in a cool area so the fan isn't really needed, but as we know, things running hotter than they should for longer than they should eventually do fail. I don't see it as being something that will fail in the next week or so but if it does I do have a temporary system I can use to bring things back up. So, for the time being I've set up an automated image program which copies the entire system to a backup every 12 hours (12:30 AM and 12:30 PM) so if the server does go offline the most data that could be lost is 12 hours worth.

On the bright side though, figuring it's a good excuse for building a new box and retiring this 5 year old one, I'm going to be building a new server over the next week or so (depending on how long it takes all the parts to show up). It's going to be a proper industrial-class server (rather than the retired desktop computer we had been using) with 8gigs of RAM, two CPUs, and two 300GB hard drives (set up as a RAID mirror again). If anyone's interested I'll post pictures of the assembly process. Once I've finished building and burning it in I'll set up a window to move the websites and databases over to the new box. Shouldn't take more than an hour at that point.

Take care!
I

Hi Peter~

Sorry but, most is Greek to me. I appreciate your expertise and thank you for the care and attention and for keeping MM going...:)

Bev

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Imhotep
post Jan 10 09, 08:12
Post #9

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

OK, so Cleo got to throw the switch this morning and viola, here we're on the new box. I'll be working on tweaks for speed and stuff over the next few days (every server is slightly different and needs to be prodded some once it's been deployed) but I don't think there's much to do here.

PM me with any strangeness - they go to my email and I see them faster than if something is posted on the forum.

Thanks.
I

·······IPB·······

Imhotep
post Jan 10 09, 08:43
Post #10

Invisible Hand
Group Icon

OK, done a little tweaking. Just to show the not-fully-finished raw data, here's a before and after;

before:
Benchmarking forums.mosaicmusings.net (be patient).....done

Server Software: Apache/2.2.10
Server Hostname: forums.mosaicmusings.net
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /index.php
Document Length: 123194 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 31.429 seconds
Complete requests: 10
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 1235810 bytes
HTML transferred: 1231940 bytes
Requests per second: 0.32 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 31428.526 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 3142.853 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 38.40 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 1 3 1.4 3 5
Processing: 31226 31367 69.2 31414 31424
Waiting: 6147 6325 90.3 6377 6412
Total: 31227 31370 69.9 31418 31427

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 31418
66% 31419
75% 31422
80% 31427
90% 31427
95% 31427
98% 31427
99% 31427
100% 31427 (longest request)
[pclark@c3po ~]$

after:
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking forums.mosaicmusings.net (be patient).....done

Server Software: Apache/2.2.10
Server Hostname: forums.mosaicmusings.net
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /index.php
Document Length: 123620 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 2.252 seconds
Complete requests: 10
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 1240070 bytes
HTML transferred: 1236200 bytes
Requests per second: 4.44 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 2251.860 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 225.186 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 537.78 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 2 0.9 2 3
Processing: 2200 2225 23.2 2243 2249
Waiting: 202 223 20.9 240 246
Total: 2203 2226 23.8 2245 2252

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 2245
66% 2248
75% 2249
80% 2251
90% 2252
95% 2252
98% 2252
99% 2252
100% 2252 (longest request)
[pclark@c3po ~]$

So. What does it mean? From what I can see, taking the numbers from before and comparing them to after, this new server appears (without even getting to full optimization) to be running about 14x faster than the old. Hopefully it'll translate to a better experience for all with less time to load the pages.

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 10 09, 09:56
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Cool! cool.gif

Just looking at the Time taken for tests:
31.429 seconds before
and
2.252 seconds after

WOWOWOWOWOWWO!!!!!
hsdance.gif hsdance.gif hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jan 10 09, 12:00
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Oh my good Lord - So that is what a motherboard looks like??? that thing is hugh and mind boggling. I have enough trouble figuring out the step by steps already paved, and to think there are those (PETER) who understand all this like I understand washing dishes...

To both Peter and Lori, we enjoy so much of MM - It is an extension of ourselves and I know I don't often say how much I appreciate it being there to participate and develop my self -sometimes it is the majority of my socialization these days and well, I want to say thank you for providing it for our use. I KNOW how expensive it must be (actually I don't know, I can only surmise) and how intricate it is to maintain it. However, you do so for all these years and never complain and are always willing to add new features and skins for our enjoyment and ease of use -

Thank you for all you provide and I am so sorry I had been away so long while everyone else held down the fort pulling my weight... I hope to be more vital to the site and one day be able to share the expense and other duties that will help make it pleasuable for you too!

Big hugs and much gratitude to Peter for all the work and support he extends to our poetry world - and thank you to you Lori, for your gift of poetry and this world we take pleasure in.

Love ya, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Jan 10 09, 12:40
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jan 10 09, 16:56 ) *
Cool! cool.gif

Just looking at the Time taken for tests:
31.429 seconds before
and
2.252 seconds after

WOWOWOWOWOWWO!!!!!
hsdance.gif hsdance.gif hsdance.gif

Impressed - is not the right word!

sun.gif Bev

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 10 09, 16:48
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi everyone, wave.gif

To finish out the pics of the new server, here we go...

Hard drive controller card

Hard drive controller card installed with data cables

Data and control cables plugged into back of hard drive trays - this is the other side of where the drives slide into the case (see picture above)

Wide view of hard drive set up

Close up view of powered up controller card

Close up view of powered up controller card - doing self-test

8 gigs of ram (memory cards)

New server set up (in basement)

Cover off - peek inside

without flash

with flash (side view)

Front view

The smaller one on the floor is the FORMER server, lol - we just powered it down. tombstone.gif

Front view with the new DVD drive installed under the red power button top right.

As you guessed, the new server is too big to stand upright on the stand, so we re-configured it sideways. The former server fit upright on the stand previously LOL.gif!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:21

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: