Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Let's start a new debate about STUPID things that people do! LOL.gif

Imhotep and I are watching HGTV, a show called "DIY to the Rescue" (in other words, Do it yourself, NOT!) right now and the episode is about the following:

A couple decides to build a roof over their existing patio/deck. They attach the joist hangers to the existing facia boards of the house. They were going to build their new roof FLAT (i.e. no slant for water run-off). When the town building inspector came to grant permit, he went "Get someone with a clue! Have you seen 'Wizard of Oz'? If I only had a brain?" OK, so I'm para-phrasing here. LOL!

What were they thinking?

Another episode last week featured a wife who decided to get a head start on a project her and her hubby already discussed and planned: to tear down their interior wall between the kitchen and dining room (?) I think it was. Anyway, it happened to be a load-bearing wall and wifie took a sledgehammer and whacked it out while hubby was away on a business trip. AND the electrical boxes, wires, etc were all exposed and hanging about. Guy from the HGV show said, "Lucky this is a single story house, otherwise it would have collapsed on you!" LOL.gif

What were they thinking?

~Cleo  Jester.gif  Speechless.gif  Jester.gif  Speechless.gif  Jester.gif  Speechless.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Don_*
post Jul 18 04, 11:13
Post #2

Hey do-it-yourselfer,

Some flaws are not self evident.  Our neighbor, long gone, fabricated a back door patio and put a slanted roof above.  Three slender columns, at outside corners and middle, resting on concrete patio.

One fine night a westerly (wolf to pig?) lifted the roof upward, pivoting it about attachment to house, to a more stable location on top of the house roof.  

Gravity may be strong, but ground bolts have a purpose.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 18 04, 11:22
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Don!

Right back atcha!

When I purchased my previous home, the former owners did this:

How about lobbing off the ends of extension cords and then running it as in-wall wiring to a socket?  :jester: Not to mention, that old house wasn't even grounded (built in 1950) and they still had Romax all about. One of our first projects was to update the wiring, needless to say! Idea.gif

Oh, another thing too about that old house - I went to plug in my phone and answering machine on moving day in, and found I could not because the house only had a rotary phone wired direct to the phone. LOL.gif That was the very first change I had to make - good ole Radio Shack to the rescue!  :drill:  :detective:  :wave:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 7 05, 08:35
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Here's a few new ones from my place of work (for those who know) -  (true stories folks):

Customer calls asking when his product will be shipped. Our phone agent has been trained to look in our back-end system in the inventory planning screen to determine if a product is 'in stock'. Our agent 'consults' the SAP inventory system to see how many of these units are in fact 'in stock'. The sytem has 300 available.

BUT....

we are told NOT to trust the numbers as they may really NOT be available... (to us)....

LOL.gif LOL.gif LOL.gif

And another one:

Order online from my workplace and request a gift card to be attached: "Happy Birthday, Sally!" for example. Order is shipped with the notation commented on the BACK SIDE of the tuck label. (NO one would see this unless they actually tear the tuck label off the shipping carton).

Customers never see the note...

Rasied the issue to the Dotcom personnel: am told, "What's the problem?! It's on the label!

WHAT were they THINKING? Idea.gif

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jul 9 05, 03:11
Post #5

One of my best friends once asked me: 'Fran, will you be my bridesmaid? - all my other friends are tall and beautiful.'   alien.gif  medusa.gif
Still smarting (and it was 20+ years ago)
Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post Jul 9 05, 03:15
Post #6

Hi Fran

ouch!  and did you say yes or no>?

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 9 05, 06:05
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Fran - I would take the question to mean that you are as well? Am I missing the punchline?

Wall.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jul 9 05, 07:14
Post #8

Hi Lori,

If I hadn't met Fran I would have taken it to mean:

"all my other friends are tall and beautiful."

But I think you, too, are being diplomatic.

Now what is so great about being tall and beautiful?

J.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jul 9 05, 09:04
Post #9

LOL, you are all very diplomatic. When I'd managed to stop laughing and pick myself off the floor she was so embarrassed she didn't dare ask me again. And since she was a couple of inches shorted than me (I am 5'4") her bridesmaids did rather look like minders, as both were at least 5'10"
Fran

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 18:32

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: