Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello all who read this tile. wave.gif

Well, as some of you already know, my news is a bit more dramatic than I lead on in the Nero's News thread earlier this month. I wish I could have only written to say, "It was sinus infection and all is well"

BUT....

in a completely unrelated manner that things tend to happen, during my first Mammogram done on March 15th (now that I am 40), they found something in the xrays that required a further looksie - and a minor surgery was performed - a stereotactic biopsy on March 23rd.

Those lab results revealed breast cancer in my right breast only - a type called DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) meaning it is contained within the milk ducts. There is as slight micro-invasion which is why I do not have the full prognosis yet. If one must be diagnosed with breast cancer, they tell me this is the type to have as it is very treatable and my long term prognosis is good.

On Tuesday, April 4th, I had two operations in one performed by a very talented surgeon; a lumpectomy to remove the cancerous tissue (malignant tumor - so small not even a palpable lump yet) and a sentinel node biopsy (removal of the 'first' node that the fluid would spread to if it has spread to the lymph nodes). They might have taken a few more nodes, I don't know. The tissues are being tested now and I await the pathology results, which I should know at my post-op appointment next Monday, April 10th.

My surgeon didn't answer my preliminary questions:
How big is it?
Has it spread?
What type is it (if other than DCIS)?
What is my long term prognosis?
What further treatments will I need (if any)?

as she frankly didn't want to base her information on the pathology reports from my previous tests. I don't blame her. I want the facts once all the data is collected, not before.

Then I can plan the next steps.

You may see a new writing style from me perhaps. I urge everyone to go to your annual exams (don't procrastinate)  - early detection is critical - the key to life (as Cleo would say)!

I am a fighter and I will win this side-step - bear with me...

To life....
~Lori  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Peterpan
post Apr 6 06, 15:57
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

Hello Lori~

Thank you for the update!!! Glad you are ok! Prayers! I want to know your doctors name. Last year my mom had a visitor and she was an acclaimed breast cancer Dr in USA. Perhaps the same? Curious? Small world perhaps? Has yours been to S.Africa?

Seriously, thinking and praying for you! Very distressed. I go for mammograms annually. I am 46/7.

Beverleigh/Peterpan

Very Good vibes going your way!

:)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 6 06, 16:20
Post #3

Hi Lori

I'm sorry to hear your news.  I hope the treatment goes well and you don't find it too stressful. I also hope that the test results are negative.

I urge everyone to go to your annual exams (don't procrastinate)  - early detection is critical - the key to life (as Cleo would say)!

Unfortunately in UK women aren't offered annual mammograms until the age of 50.  I have never had one.

My thoughts are with you

Hugs

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 6 06, 16:20
Post #4

Dear Lori

I can't express how shocked I was to hear that news. Life just ain't fair! But I am really relieved to hear the good prognosis.

Thinking of you,

Love,

Fran

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 6 06, 16:31
Post #5

Hello Lori,

You and I haved discussed this before, and my wife and I still wish you the best with our prayers added.  As you know I've recently been through a train of medical personnel and their foretellings always seemed limited and events often altered slightly.  I think it is because they have regular meetings among themselves; therefore, exact events are not known to each when confronting a patient.  I am certain they know what the greatest probablilities are but have found that patients want just what you do, the most accurate information.

In this marvelous age cancer is not as cruel as say forty-years ago.  The processes are virtually painless and we have no reason not to hold our heads high and expect the best.

God bless

Don and Lynn Holmes

Cyn
post Apr 6 06, 17:53
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 145
Writer of: Poetry

Being a fighter and intelligent will hold you in good stead Lori. As a cancer survivor (a rare form of ovarian cancer) I know of what i speak. Arm yourself with knowledge, get the best doctors you can.

I am certain your writing will reflect what you experience, it can't help but.

You found it early, it is the "best" kind to have (jeez I see an entire poem in that line alone!) and you have the love and support of friends and family. You are way ahead of the game.

Know that my prayers and strong thoughts are with you. {{{{hugs}}}}
Cyn

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 6 06, 18:13
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Lori

I am so glad that your operation is over ~ the first step to recovery. You are a fighter and that is good. I'm sure we are in for some great poems after this. Some of my best have been written after a bad patch.

Thinking of you

Snow

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 7 06, 10:01
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

thanks.gif everyone!

I am overwhelmed by your kind words....

I'll be back...

Lori sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Apr 10 06, 05:25
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Hello Lori

Let us know what happened today - Monday?

Bev

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Ephiny
post Apr 10 06, 06:10
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

Hello Lori,

You definately are a fighter..and your attitude is marvellous..I really hope that everything goes well today and will be thinking of you.  Let us know how you get on.

You have your family and all of us on your side, and your marvellous writing talent which I'm sure will also be a support.

My thoughts are with you always

Lucie xxxx

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 10 06, 07:24
Post #11

Hi Lori,

I'm hoping all goes well for you today!  My prayers are with you~

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 10 06, 07:32
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

thanks.gif Bev, Lucie, Cathy (and Nina for your private mail).

I'll keep you all posted.....

Lori :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Apr 10 06, 08:01
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

Thinking of you all the time.

Bev

:)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 10 06, 16:36
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi all. wave.gif

I am soooo thrilled to say that everything came back good - so I am really in another world here.. WHIPPPPPEEEEEE doesn't express my feelings.

The sentinel node came back negative (WHIPPEEEEE) and Dr. Fam did only remove that one so that is a PHEW! The ductal carcinoma in situ was contained to centemeters (we caught it so early) which has been removed surgically - outa here! The margins are clear, meaning that the normal tissue she took is just that - normal - no cancer. She also told us that in the pathology report, only 3 of the 16 slides they looked at had DCIS (and no other cancers are present or had invaded).

As for my pain - it is normal as the nerves near to my armpit (where the lymph node was removed) are very, very sensitive and in time they will heal. It was a bit easier to wash my hair this morning as I can now lift my arm most of the way over my head, finally.... LOL!

I have about 80% feeling - still tingling in my elbow sometimes and in my wrist (like a carpal tunnel ache). My breast feels pretty good - some numbness but it is also getting better each day.  The scars gross me out to look at (from what little I can see). The steri-strips still need to stay on another week, although LOL 4 of them fell off this morning in the shower (well, they were so loose I took them off upon drying); 2 from the node incision and 2 from the breast incision (and the I got light-headed) I'm a wimp!

The next step isn't until the 24th when I meet my two new doctors - the Oncologists. Then I will learn what, if any treatments I need (radiation), shots etc.. and the follow-up plan, blood work, mammos etc....

For now - I am just glad this part is over..... what a joyous day to be alive!  :cloud9:  :cloud9:  :cloud9:  :cloud9:

HUGS GroupHug.gif
Lori  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 10 06, 16:59
Post #15

Hi Lori

That is excellent news  :)  You must be relieved.

All the best for the next step.

Nina

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 11 06, 06:46
Post #16

I like the symbolism of the steri-strips washed away in the shower.

Wishing you continued good fortune.

Don   sun.gif  :bunny:

Peterpan
post Apr 11 06, 06:49
Post #17

Creative Chieftain

:) :) :)

Very, very happy for you!

Bev

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 11 06, 08:51
Post #18

rose.gif  rose.gif  rose.gif  rose.gif  champagne.gif  rose.gif  rose.gif  rose.gif

GroupHug.gif kiss.gif

Fran

Eisa
post Apr 11 06, 18:50
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Great news Lori  :dance:  :sun:  :guitar:

Snow  :cloud9:

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

MissLuckyPenny
post Apr 17 06, 08:33
Post #20

Nomad

Group: Silver Member
Member No.: 24

Wow, I really need to hang around here more often.  

Lori, glad to hear that even though things aren't the best, they're not the worst either.

Take care.

·······IPB·······

~Poppy~

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 13:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: