Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE (Don @ Aug. 09 2005, 18:23)
Dear Lori,

I never had any doubt of your intentions.  I think the change of name is a good idea.

Don

Hi Don.  :wave:

Ya snuck this reply in while I was resplying to James.  :oops:  :grinning:

Yes - a showcase forum - is that what you are referring to?

Sometimes my works spill out all jumbled up!  :upside:  :blush21:  :oops:

Cheers!
~Cleo  :sings:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Don_*
post Aug 9 05, 17:52
Post #22

Yes Lori I was thinking the prime purpose, up front, as a showcase.

I can forsee a member refering to various showcases—especially their own—to an outsider for examples of quality or ramification for a debate.

I had no doubt that MM was legally covered, and did not intend to add a database storage headache to administer.  My initial comments were thinking aloud and hoping someone would light my candle.

As I tell Lynn, my spouse, don't worry about the spelling  because knowing what you mean is what counts.  If readers do not understand by now what you mean it isn't your fault and outside your control.

Don   :pharoah2

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 05, 18:13
Post #23

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arnfinn @ Aug. 09 2005, 07:01)
Hi Lori,

Sent me computer away for Hols on 5th August, he got re-configured (computers weight watchers) he came back this afternoon 9th August, n' is a ball of electronic muscle. laugh.gif

So I've been missing for four days (well youknow what I mean).

Wizard.gif  Wizard.gif

Good Idea, some sites have members archives in membership alphabetical order where members a reference to their dablings. Members, as you say, would always have an archival copy of their literary works. Be a help to MM also, if for instance, you wanted a quick reference to someones poems or stories. May be looking for poetry or stories about different subjects etc. Also, if a member is working to improve a poem or story, he/she could work on site and repaste, save a lot of working on files on the members PC and then repasting in MM.

I think it has a lot of merit Lori.  detective.gif

Regards,

John troy.gif  Wizard.gif  :pharoah2

Why hello mate!  :wave:  :troy:

So glad to hear ye pc had a make-over! Didn't ay know us ladie-folk love make-overs! PC weigh watchers ... LOL.gif! Good one!

Yes - but remember it would be a quick reference of whichever posts the member decides to into it.  :grinning:

Revisions should still be done in the crit/non-crit forums (if those are posted on MM), and always keep at least two back-up copies elsewhere too (either on paper, or on your own pc or at a back up site. While I'm all for saving trees ent.gif one can never 100% rely on the internet for safe keeping....

Would you like a showcase forum John?

Cheers!
~Cleo  :hsdance:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 05, 18:21
Post #24

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Don @ Aug. 09 2005, 09:38)
From Don:

An offsite backup is worthwhile for many.  The offered MM feature is more a convenience than traditional backup.
Traditional backups tend to be bulk and inconvenient except to retrieve lost data.  

I keep a record of all my stuff on home backup.  Don’t forget that a given floppy or CD may fail, and a given drive may fail. A backup on CD and another on DVD— the new FLASH MEMORIES is a good idea.  I have an old ZIP drive that works great.  Disadvantage of ZIP is the media is abortively expensive, but I already have a supply of discs…so…

A self-selected collection at proposed new MM archive probably will not have as extensive a search capability.  I doubt that professional backup services, which charge fees, have such search capability.

I like the idea the staff is not assuming more responsibility.  I feel the self-editing feature already provided should be satisfactory.  

These are my current thoughts, which fail to convince me of the advantage of signing up.  What do you say?

Don

Hello Don.

The new offer seems to be a vanity archive where authors can show their best foot for others to view.   I see a benefit for learning styles and bias for more efficient and effective critique.  I totally agree upon banning comments except by author along with original, if desired.

Yes - I'd like to call it a 'Showcase forum'.  :grinning: I see what you see, a quick reference to potentially learn their writing styles to better assist when critiquing in the crit forums.  :viking:  Yes - no replies will be allowed. It will help to point the way for the person who wishes to comment to go to the crit thread instead where they are free to comment as they wish.

As mentioned - members shuld always keep multiple back-up copies in various places...

Good input Don...

TY!
Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 05, 18:26
Post #25

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JLY @ Aug. 09 2005, 12:37)
Lori,
I have read the comments from my M. M. peers and they all offer much to ponder.
Your original suggestion of making an easily accessible database by author is a good one and provides us with an easy to view file of our works.  I would use it simply the way it was intended; merely as a means to see my collection of MM postings.  I have personally backed up all of my work so I don't look to MM as being my only source of safekeeping.

James raised some interesting issues, many of them with a legal bent to them.  When I think of MM and what it offers for me, I never entertain legalities; I simply think of this "club" as my poetic home away from home.  

The one issue that I tend to agree with James about is the one that relates to nominating authors for awards.  I know personally, I have come to admire an handful of writers here and I eagerly wait in anticipation for their next posting.  I have sometimes been negligent in not viewing as many of the other authors as I should.  By consolidating everyone's work into an easy to find venue, it does lend itself for someone to zero in on their favorite author to select a poem/story for nomination.

However, overall, your concept is a good one and I look forward to this new database to be made available as soon as possible.
JLY

Hello John!  :wave:

Good points! Always keep back-ups of your work - a good philosophy!

I should hope that our members continue to read through ALL the crit and exhibition forums and when a tile affects them, they nominate it. While I cannot control the actions our members may take with this new area, I would HOPE they read all new posts in the MAIN area of MM when nominating works.

I assume you'd like a forum?

Cheers
Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Aug 10 05, 01:05
Post #26

Hi Lori

I think showcase forum is a much better name for this and doesn't bring with it any preconceptions or expectations.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 10 05, 05:07
Post #27

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nina @ Aug. 10 2005, 02:05)
Hi Lori

I think showcase forum is a much better name for this and doesn't bring with it any preconceptions or expectations.

Nina

Thanks Nina!

I think so too.  :sun:  :guitar:

~Cleo  :read:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 10 05, 05:33
Post #28

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Hi Lori and Nina,

Hi Lori

Nina

Me too   Thank you for my showcase Lori dance.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 10 05, 05:42
Post #29

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

You are most welcome Grace!

Fish.gif fish2.gif

Enjoy as I will!
hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 10 05, 05:49
Post #30

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Lori,
I would love to see a Showcase Forum....the positives greatly outweigh the few concerns that have been brought forward.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 10 05, 06:33
Post #31

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks John! lovie.gif

I've added the new category and 4 showcase forums (one for you) already.

Check it out at the bottom of forum...

Cheers!
Cleo :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Aug 10 05, 07:27
Post #32

QUOTE (Nina @ Aug. 10 2005, 02:05)
Hi Lori

Nina

I agree.

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 11 05, 05:33
Post #33

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Don.

The new Showcase is up now with 4 members thus far. Why not go and have a read as they create their collections? :)

Cheers!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 11 05, 07:08
Post #34

Hi Lori,

I think it's a great idea!  Sign me up for a forum please!

Cathy grinning.gif

Guest_Don_*
post Aug 11 05, 07:21
Post #35

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Aug. 11 2005, 06:33)
Thanks Don.

The new Showcase is up now with 4 members thus far. Why not go and have a read as they create their collections? :)

Cheers!
~Cleo

Most likely will.  For one curiousity, I desire to see how convenient the showcase may be.

Thanks for the prompt.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 11 05, 07:44
Post #36

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (larrysgirl5548 @ Aug. 11 2005, 08:08)
Hi Lori,

I think it's a great idea!  Sign me up for a forum please!

Cathy grinning.gif

All set Cathy!  :dance:  :sun:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Ephiny
post Sep 1 05, 08:56
Post #37

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41

Hi Lori..

Could I sign up for a forum as well please?  Whenever convenient..thank you:)

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 1 05, 09:28
Post #38

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Will do Lucie.

Look for your showcase in the new forum (at the bottom of the board) soon....

Cheers and enjoy!
~Cleo hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:41

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: