rain forest
sugar cane
Geisha girls
laser
emergency room
can opener
paper cut
trap door

As usual when certain words or phrases are heard by me, memories come flooding in. A sign of aging or a love of earlier events and happenings, that still resonate with my wife and I today? No matter, they are often remembered and recalled, as times together we explored different cultures, landscapes, but above all, when we met complete strangers that left a great impression upon us. Folks like Alfredo in Columbia who not only proved to be a very good taxi driver - he had trained in New York and had put his son through Medical College, before returning to Columbia. He provided us with excellent service and furthermore he was also an excellent tourist guide. A credit to his knowledge of his country! He knew of places and locations we would never have seen or known of, except for him. Proudly he would show us - complete strangers - out of the way places few others would see., with never a moment’s hesitation. Never once did he ever try to scam us. In fact I found myself embarrassed by his small recompense! In truth, our ‘tip’ was often larger than his fee. A simple man who was proud to show us all aspects of his country.
On one occasion his excursion took us well into the rural interior where we visited a bull fighting breeding centre. Not that we approved of bull fighting, but as I had been a Farm Manager in Hampshire before emigrating to Canada, any operation relating to farming or cattle, was of the greatest interest to us. On another occasion, hen he took us to visit friends of his, who ran a restaurant in a secluded bay. This adjoined the French Embassy grounds. Knowing the housekeeper, and the residents away, we were allowed the use of their shore side changing room .A quiet secluded cover, where we swam and frolicked in the ocean that lapped up to their patio. As we dined on a large selection of marine fare. No Cockles, which was as well, for I am extremely allergic to all shellfish.
Good fortune served us well in every location we visited. Times when we saw the Rain Forest in Puerto Rico. Long before the Hurricane struck and Cane Sugar fields were decimated! Again on our visit to Brazil where again we were lucky yet again. Here we teamed up with a young fellow who was working his way through college. Completely trustworthy - we met his mother on one occasion - he drove us in his own car, well into the interior, to visit the much celebrated Market where all manner of hand crafted goods sold for a song. Pauline bought herself a handbag and to this day, takes it when shopping. For refreshing such a memory, aoday, a Photograph - nothing more than a piece of Paper cut from the market listing, is a small reminder of an incredible two week vacation! One that was taken on the spur of the moment. We’d planned a different venue but no available bookings were open. A grand happenstance which proved once again, Fate or Fortune, smiled on us.
Yes, there were times when an unexpected and unwanted accident called for swift action. When off the Sunset Beach in Mexico, my wife was knocked flat by a rogue wave, and was taken to the Emergency Room of the local hospital. Thankfully, apart from being severely winded, no Laser was required to discover any damage to her being! Certainly a lucky escape, for medical bills would have been exorbitant, despite our having insurance coverage..
There were times when the use of a Can Opener was important. This when we took ourselves off for a country walk and a picnic. It was an essential ‘tool’ to have close by. A Swiss Army knife was often the answer for it was the ultimate tool for us. With its selection of useful devices, it was frequently called upon to solve a dilemma or problem. So easily and discreetly carried on one’s person, it was a godsend on more than one occasion. But I doubt few travellers are aware of its hidden assets?
This brief catalogue of personal happenings, that touches on trips we made as a married couple, is but a taste of events and meetings made, and but a small Chapter in a book - my Memoirs - that to date, has grown to five volumes. Not so surprising, for I have, over my 90 years, stored many memories of times when for example, a Trap Door and my cousin were involved. Other events and unexpected encounters have been with Professionals who took time out to entertain and inform two willing tourists. A time when a private informative tour through a museum - Puerto Rico - enraptured us for hours. Then there are earlier times when I, a Leading Scribe in the Royal Navy and my mess mate buddies, were entertained in Japan by a trio of Geisha Girls, who played their musical instruments as they swayed and recited Japanese poems, to music, we barely understood, excepting their expressions and actions, were so illuminating, we had no doubt as to their significance! Girls that were especially trained in various ‘Arts’ from a very early age. Not at all, as so many ‘Westerners’ would think - blatant sexual opportunities for hire!
sugar cane
Geisha girls
laser
emergency room
can opener
Lake
gallery
Stables
Dairy
Mediterranean

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post Jul 23 20, 19:18
Post #142

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Congratulations, as always, Denis. You're a wonderful story teller, I envy you! As usual, I just finished the challenges, so my mini tale will have to wait. Hope all is well with you and your family, all the best, Sylvia

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 24 20, 04:26
Post #143

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Mediterranean
Geisha girls
sugar cane
stables
dairy
emergency room
can opener
gallery
laser
lake

Well, Denis, this guy's never gone on any exotic vacations to the Mediterranean or watched dancing Geisha girls in Japan, run in sugar cane fields, sauntered through the Kentucky Derby stables or even toured a local dairy! But over the past year I visited the emergency room a half dozen times, mostly for false alarms, though once I had to be hospitalized overnight. That's the kind of excitement my life has produced. As I told you before, color my tin olive drab and open it with a can opener, frame it for your gallery and show it to your visitors with a brown laser... or toss it in the lake.

lake
gallery
stables
dairy
Mediterranean
Nile River
Julius Caesar
potato salad
Atilla the Hun
Montezuma

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 24 20, 07:14
Post #144

Trojan

Member No.: 1,150

Mini Story - Side-step Rant.

Life is to be lived and enjoyed - My Motto - and I am not trying to play down your problems, by the following, but thought perhaps you ought to understand a little more of what life offers me of late.

Don’t get me wrong Daniel, life has brought me many - both pleasant and unpleasant surprises, shall we say? No, it’s not been a series of misadventures, nor has it been a stroll through a rose garden! Au contraire, it has been, and remains anything but! With a need to keep a wary eye on my darling wife of 65 years as she descends into the depths of memory loss, it proves a tough battle for me at times. Although I do admit, I prefer to keep a more positive outlook on happenings than most. Thank goodness I possess and retain my sense of humour, which for the most part is essential, for it stands me in good stead when I need it most. The present time is certainly a time when I need it as a crutch. Although I have mislaid it on a few occasions of late. But that’s life. My dear Mother, who suffered badly in the same way, as Pauline, who is displaying the first symptoms of dementia, once told me I was stubborn! Thank goodness I was and remain so! Having just lost my much loved and closest cousin Peggy, both in age and temperament, this past Sunday, plus a few other inconveniences such as my serious need for dental work: a Meniere’s Disease flare up that ensures I suffer a very serious balance problem - medication does nothing for it - and that along with fast detonating eyesight in my one good eye, has me falling Head over Heels, without warning! Oh yes, just a small matter of a very serious Hernia - an emergency operation seven years ago has broken apart! I survive though most carefully as it threatens to cut me down in my prime, and all remedies suggested/expected, controlled by the Covid-19 pandemic! My approach? I count my blessings - my Pauline and my garden being very high on the list. Also, presently well up the list is MM and the few remaining folks met there! Many have disappeared but a - shall we say Ywosome of late, has helped me while away a few precious hours of late. I hope by continuing to exploit what I term “Being firmly convinced” not “Stubbornness” I’ll get through whatsoever might be thrown my way! That is, until I’m ready to go! Call it stubborn if you like, but one thing I do know for sure, is that every day brings me a lot of joy. Inasmuch as we sit awhile most days, and recall memories of years ago when life seemed endless, and our future bright, was an invitation to enjoy it whilst we could. No matter what.! In fact it still possesses a glow that encourages me to keep going!

This not meant as a censure on you or your predicament. I just thought you ought to know that appearances - gleaned from written words, may tend to give the wrong impression. Sorry for the rant but thought I’d bring you up to date. Denis.

Life ain’t over yet - for us, despite all its inhibitions and problems - unwanted, and I’ll continue to find something to laugh over, until - perhaps even as - life is taken from me! How goes that saying? The glass is half empty to the Pessimist, but half full to the Optimist. Mine’s still more than half full!
Will write my next Chapter later. Whe I have time. Right now? Chores are calling me! Denis.

JustDaniel
post Jul 24 20, 13:50
Post #145

Ornate Oracle

Denis, I hope you didn't take my last entry as complaining about anything. Just used up the 10 words as conveniently as possible. I'm as happy as an old cripple with dyslexia, blurred eyesight and an unsteady gait can be. I only referred to the fact that there has not been a whole lot of excitement or exotic travel in my life. When it comes to that, you are a rainbow and I a field of harvested corn.

Look forward to your or Sylvia's 10-word challenge mini-story. deLightingly, Daniel *sun*

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 24 20, 13:56
Post #146

Trojan

Reading the word listing, has the effect - as expected - of recalling memories of times past. Not a wasted exercise, for in this time of restrictive living, one sometimes requires a little ‘jab’ to bring back memories about which I can relate to and recall with a smile. Montezuma for instance! On our very first excursion to Mexico, and what an incredible outstanding experience that was! My first happenings was to suffer playing host to Montezuma! A pseudonym for debilitating diarrhoea. A suffering many visitors experienced due to changing water sources - so we were told. Quickly overcome we were told to consume a light diet. Nothing exotic despite the temptations available. I ended up eating Potato Salad washed down with a good shot of Tequila. Fixed it good and fast! As for the Lake? We spent over an hour sailing through the underground lake that exists in Kentucky. Another oft remembered experience that few - even many Americans - know little about. Fed by numerous underground streams it is located in a cavern of humongous size. Thank goodness for our guide's competence, who knew its every delight. As for Gallery? There’s a host including The Tate and various others throughout the world I’ve visited. A keen art lover of all genres, I can and have, spent hours just looking in awe at the Masterpieces on display. Found no ‘Materpieces!. No artist myself - even painting a blank wall is a task that requires more skill than I can generally muster up! Words are, and have been my only palette with which I can paint a picture. Though I am little more than a wordsmith with small talent, they do allow me to express my delight in those ‘pictures’ displayed. Ones that allow all to see, enjoy and understand what life was like, in ages past.
Yes, I have sailed through the Mediterranean, up and down part of the Nile River, and I have visited Stables of repute besides those that my Father, for which, he, as a Groom/Gardener, held responsibility. 12 Thoroughbreds were in his care, and I was always a willing and delighted lad, who would help whenever allowed! As for my Dairy experiences? They have been numerous. Both as a ‘learner’ Student, Under-herdsman, to later becoming a fully qualified Herdsman in charge of both Dairy and Beef animals, until promoted to be the Farm Manager, of a 375 acre farm, before we, as a family, emigrated to Canada, where my life changed direction completely. But no regrets!
I cannot claim to have met either Julius Caesar nor Attila the Hun. Of the latter I know little, but Julius Caesar has played a crucial part in my life, in an indirect manner. A time when I, a student at the Grammar School - Hardye’s School for Boys as it was known. The school curriculum thought the Latin language was an essential asset for our future. And for me, it so proved! My introduction to same, was often brought to mind later. After that first hearing Latin, they have been recalled on many an occasion since! First spoken to our class of 30 boys: aged between 11 and 12 years. Mr W. Steemson - our Latin Master - known to all and sundry, as Steamboat Bill due to his habit of smoking a tobacco pipe. Lit or not, he carried it between his teeth, wherever he might be going! With his “Gown of Authority’ streaming out behind him, he tore up and down the school corridors, like an express train! Scattering all before him, times were we fully expected him to sound a warning whistle, much as a Railway Engine would at level crossings! Without introduction, he began our first lesson with the words - and I quote from a memory of 79 vintage years ago. Circa 1940. Seems like it was just yesterday! In a stentorian voice, he uttered the phrase: “Caesar aderat forte: Brutus adsum tu!” For a brief moment we sat in stunned silence, then it was shattered with a storm of laughter, and applause, as his intention became obvious to us! Latin, a strange language as we thought, became an essential part of my life later, when I became - shall we say - ‘embroiled; in the growing of nursery stock: ornamental flowers, plants and suchlike. Even more so when I decided to be a Landscape Gardener running my own very busy and much enjoyed business, after being a Nursery Manager of a very large operation. White Rose Nurseries - well known in Canada. A time when Latin proved to be an essential asset, when carrying out any landscape planting a customer desired! Latin names describe and fulfill needs, which common names seldom do. Latin is the accepted common biological language for all plants. For now, Arrigato (Japanese) - Denis.

Nile River
Julius Caesar
Potato salad
Atilla the Hun
Montezuma
Barter Island
Bahamas
Thomas Hardy
Tamar Rtver
Suez Canal

JustDaniel
post Jul 24 20, 22:13
Post #147

Ornate Oracle

Montezuma
Bahamas
Julius Caesar
Atilla the Hun
potato salad
Thomas Hardy
Nile River
Suez Canal
Tamar River
Barter Island

After a bout with Montezuma's Revenge I dozed off to dreamland and settled in the Bahamas, waking up Julius Caesar wrestling with Atilla the Hun in a dispute over potato salad. Eating the salad myself I read a little Thomas Hardy and fell off to sleep quickly, finding myself floating down the Nile River with Cleopatra, somehow waking up briefly as I was going through the Suez Canal on a large freighter and was suddenly awakened by the Tasmanian Devil on the Tamar River! I had a pleasant lunch and sat down with my book again, and at length woke up in Alaska, having dinner on Barter Island

Barter Island
Bahamas
Thomas Hardy
Tamar River
Suez Canal
halibut
Weeki Wachie
Mt. St. Helens
tonsils
appendectomy

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jul 25 20, 17:58
Post #148

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ Jul 25 20, 00:13 ) *
Montezuma
Bahamas
Julius Caesar
Atilla the Hun
potato salad
Thomas Hardy
Nile River
Suez Canal
Tamar River
Barter Island

After a bout with Montezuma's Revenge I dozed off to dreamland and settled in the Bahamas, waking up Julius Caesar wrestling with Atilla the Hun in a dispute over potato salad. Eating the salad myself I read a little Thomas Hardy and fell off to sleep quickly, finding myself floating down the Nile River with Cleopatra, somehow waking up briefly as I was going through the Suez Canal on a large freighter and was suddenly awakened by the Tasmanian Devil on the Tamar River! I had a pleasant lunch and sat down with my book again, and at length woke up in Alaska, having dinner on Barter Island

Barter Island
Bahamas
Thomas Hardy
Tamar River
Suez Canal
halibut
Weeki Wachie
Mt. St. Helens
tonsils
appendectomy

So you travelled to Alaska and had dinner on Barter Island? You're a bit nuts, Daniel. I'm presently vacationing in the Bahamas and taking advantage to re-read Thomas Hardy, one of my favorite English authors. In one of his books he mentions a romantic encounter on the banks of the Tamar River.
Anthony Eden made a mess of the Suez Canal agreement. The British never forgave him. He got ill eating boiled halibut. The doctors removed his appendix and tonsils, but in vain. Appendectomies were not done in a sterilized hospital unit in those days, but some people suspected it was all some sort of revenge on the good Sir.
Whilst in Florida, I visited the State National Park Weeki Watchee. We had a wonderful time observing all the flora and fauna. Spectacular, have you been there?
I've also travelled to WA to visit my stepdaughter, who lives in Spokane. Mt. St. Helens was having a slight erruption, but fortunately it was not serious. I was told about the time it errupted suddenly and as many as 60 people might had died, as well as thousands of animals, both wild and domesticated.
Lovely state to visit, I had a great time in Seatle.

halibut
Weeki Watchee
Mt. St. Helens
tonsils
appendectomy
garbage
steppes
bookshelves
Tigris
tango

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 26 20, 02:32
Post #149

Ornate Oracle

halibut
Weeki Watchee
Mt. St. Helens
tonsils
appendectomy
garbage
steppes
bookshelves
Tigris
tango

Just now I was nearly finished with my entry, and my mouse malfunctioned, and I lost the whole treatise, so I have to say this again, Sylvia, yes, I AM nuts, but not because I had dinner on Barter Island after I travelled to Alaska. because all of that was in a (purely fictional) dream! Some day I may travel to Alaska, though, just for the halibut. I do expect to be visiting Tacoma next month - or in September if they'll let me change my tickets - but I won't be visiting Mt. St. Helens. I am very likely to see my oldest and best friend, Mt. Rainier, possibly with my deaf brother. He loves to camp and hike up there. The mountain has no steppes, but it takes a lot of steps to get to the peak -- 14, 411 feet (which represents 7000 normal people and 411 who only have one leg).

I've had a lot of operations in my life, but I still have my tonsils, an I've never had and appendectomy... and I've never done the tango with my surgeon or infectious disease doctor (just so you know). Other useless pieces of information bout me: 1) Though we lived in Clearwater, FL for three years, we never went to Weeki Watchee 2) I've never even considered going down (or up) the Tigris or Euphrates River. 3) I never store garbage on our bookshelves.

garbage
steppes
bookshelves
Tigris
tango
diving lessons
amputation
circumstantial
convicted
accident

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 26 20, 17:49
Post #150

Trojan

Synopsis - as I saw it - Of a Mini Story.

Given opportunity to write a Mini Story, I was intrigued and most interested to see how Daniel had decided - the choice was given him to begin said Mini Story - to give it a ‘personal’ slant. A choosing which I was delighted to see, for seemingly it appeared he wanted to make it autobiographical in nature. Nothing better in my book, for what better source of material - anecdotes and happenings - could anyone ever hope to have at their fingertips.? There is an unlimited abundance - presented by life and living, that fills our lives. Exciting, mundane, delightful and sad! All play their part in our lives, so what better source of material can one think of? And so the Mini Story began.

All started off well - as I thought - and was happy to read and then meld occasions of my life, with his. Beginning with present day circumstances and stitching them with earlier happenings, would allow us, I had thought, both an ideal opportunity to capture readers and allow them to become aware of the ‘folks’ we once were, compared with what we are today! Maybe discover a little of our upbringing and our childhood dreams, with what actually took place. Did life pan out for us as we had hoped, or did Fate and Circumstances affect our dreams and lives over the past 9 decades.

So, did we achieve our goals? Did we find Fate had alternative plans for us? It certainly has for me, Despite a roller-coaster ride, result from my intention of holding fast to my life's dream. For a time I went hither, thither and yon, before finally settling on the future that brought me and my family, happiness, security, and an overwhelming sense of satisfaction, most of which, which came about, thanks to circumstances I could not have imagined! Although by then, my first dream had been long abandoned! (I desperately wanted to be a Pilot ) But Fate shaped my life, along with that of my family, and eventually determined what and where we are today.

Speaking only for myself, as I must, as I think back on those early days and compare them with today, I realise I am a very happy man. Well satisfied for the most part, with strength enough to look at any misfortune that might befall me, and laugh (perhaps ironically?), when crying would be far easier to effect.

This was my ‘reading’ of the ‘rules’ as I thought them gleaned from Daniel's opening Chapter. I thought it a great idea but, unfortunately I appear to have misread his intentions. Having realised my error, I doubt I can or will continue with the ‘shall we say “pasquinade” or ‘charade’ which I appear to have inadvertently, started down the wrong track. My only excuse? When this Mini Story idea was first birthed, I was trying to get some semblance of routine and order back into my life. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had no idea of what had been decided should determine the path to take? For that I apologise. Perhaps in a future Mini Story scenario, someone will give me some idea of the ‘guide lines’ that would-be participants should follow? Maybe Factual as I had originally thought: an Imaginative story, with a mix of fact and fiction: Humourous or even, shall we say Idiotic? Perhaps a combination of them all? For now I shall remain a bystander who has more than enough concerns on his hands, with an essential need to help and guide my loving wife, for me to get too excited about anything else! It was fun while it lasted and did allow me some relaxation as I recalled events of times past - so many!
What I once did automatically, without a thought, now takes me four times as long - due to fast deteriorating sight and the effects of Covid-19 on our lifetime habits - my excuse - along with the extreme, scorching- tropical heat - as the weather experts aver - to which we are not normally subjected - also makes my days extremely stressful. Abyssinia, Sayonara, Arrigato or whatever? Have a great day. Catch you later. Denis.

JustDaniel
post Jul 27 20, 01:53
Post #151

Ornate Oracle

Well, Denis (and I think both of us would benefit by switching, say to Size 5, as I'm doing now, since MY deteriorating eyesight made it difficult to plod through your lines here.

I'm not sure how you get the idea that you've violated some RULES, because I'm not aware of any! I have always taken it that we're challenged to write pretty much ANYTHING using the challenge words, and then eliminate SOME of them and replacing them with additional words for the next to write WHATEVER. Lately you've chosen to write some extremely interesting biological storylines, and they've been very revealing. Sometimes I've tried to continue your stories and other times created semi-fiction and went off on my own tangent.

Sylvia recently suggested that we go from replacing 3 words to replacing 5, which I think has been more challenging. Frankly I'd be disappointed for your to be a bystander, because you are ALWAYS interesting and engaging. I look forward to your stories. I don't want you to be put off by my nonsense and silliness, PLEASE.

always deLighting to see "Rhymer" in this section. It's only the three of us to entertain each other here in our abandoned basement! - Daniel thanks.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 27 20, 07:31
Post #152

Trojan

Mini Story - in a new direction.

garbage
steppes
bookshelves
Tigris
tango
diving lessons
amputation
circumstantial
convicted
accident

Having suffered an Accident when taking Diving lessons off the 10 metre diving board - the concrete swimming pool was empty at the time - I had undergone an emergency Amputation - supposedly my toe, but thanks to a drunken surgeon’s roaming eye - he was watching a pretty nurse instead of concentrating on his work in hand - and removed my whole foot! Though purely Circumstantial, methinks he also had a warped sense of humour, when he did so. My first thoughts were to have him Convicted, but decided I’d give him a second chance. However, he sure made it difficult for me to Tango. Then? Yes, you guessed it. I lost my equilibrium! Adding insult to injury, two very amused spectators - called Sylvia and Daniel, who had been searching hospital Bookshelves for answers for what is known as “Lack of belletristic excitement” or Lobe for short. Often recognised by seeing Site Monitors pulling on same. A common disease infecting many Literary Web Sites shortly before their demise. No answer was found! Later when I was descending The Steppes, I had an accident and fell into a pile of Garbage - the clean out of the operating room! Phew!! It was - shall we say - a trifle ripe? Then I and the garbage were taken by a Ethiopian refuse barge, and dumped into the Tigris River. As this was already full of the hospital staff, dining room scraps - after being well picked over by the patients, it was full of surprises! Leave it to your imagination as to what the ‘Special of the Day’ had been?! It sure made for a smelly boat ride. The barge was due to be transferred to the Euphrates, but denied entry due to Covis-19 restrictions. My journey is to be continued later - unfortunately! On a “High Fly” journey in scorching heat as I seek an answer to my predicament. Denis.

PS: Thanks for your elucidation Daniel. I was a little concerned I might have been in error with my offerings. Incidentally, my answer for vision aid, - temporarily found effective - is to use a very large type - size 18 - as found on Word Perfect X9, then copy and paste over to MM. When my many errors are rectified. One can go even larger in ‘size’ but this, with my large monitor - 38 inches, has allowed me to continue writing whatsoever I choose. A life saver in every respect. Maybe MS Word has it too, but I’ve no idea, as MS is not been my chosen programme over the past years.

diving lessons
amputation
circumstantial
convicted
accident
car pool
whirlpool
sharkskin
siren
seven sisters.

JustDaniel
post Jul 28 20, 04:20
Post #153

Ornate Oracle

seven sisters
amputation
accident
diving lessons
whirlpool
car pool
siren
convicted
sharkskin
circumstantial

Here we go again! Got half done, and CLICK... automatically deleted everything!

I actually do have seven sisters. I grew up with three of them, Linda, Joanne and Ellen. When I was in college, I learned when I called home to Tacoma from Pasadena (no cell phones and free calls back then, so I was out of touch for long periods of time) that my folks were divorced. Shortly afterwards Dad married Shirley, who has three daughters and two sons, so then I had six sisters. 26 years later, Sharon asked her adoptive mother, after her father passed away, for permission to find her birth mother. She found Mom, who introduced her to Linda, Joanne and Ellen, who introduced her to Dad. (Dad had briefly broken up with Shirley before they were married, and when Mom and Dad had met together, evidently. When Mom announced that she was pregnant, Dad declined to claim paternity, since he'd already raised three children that weren't his.) When Dad saw Sharon, the took her hand and bent her thumb down to her wrist, and then wept! (He and my two sisters that re his are all double-jointed. In addition, Sharon looks like Linda and Joanne melded together.) Two summers ago, from Ancestry.com, as if by accident, I discovered my half-sister, who was born when my Dad put Mom out of the house in my junior year (almost like an amputation) when she was carrying another child that was not his. (I knew nothing about it until Linda shared it with me after I'd met Sharon some thirty years later.) My siblings (except Linda, who couldn't come from Idaho) all met her when I visited Tacoma two years ago, along with her daughter. Jumping into all the family secrets, we need diving lessons to survive the whirl pool! After our get-together, the younger bunch car-pooled and did the club circuit till the wee hours, while the more sensible ones headed for home.

You see, not being a drinker, like some of them, I've never been chased by a police car with a siren blaring, nor have I been convicted of, nor even charged with a crime (like wearing a sharkskin suit), but I guess that's just circumstantial. Well, there it is, Denis and Sylvia. Now it's your turn to try to make something sensible out of these words. Great story, by the way, Denis!!

car pool
whirlpool
sharkskin
siren
seven sisters
component
Johnny Carson
Mike Tyson
silver spoon
clenched

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 28 20, 08:53
Post #154

Trojan

No doubt abut it Daniel, Life with a capital “L” can spring many surprises upon us at times. Some work out and brighten our lives, whilst others can bring a lot of heart ache and sadness. Thankfully my early days were quiet and unassuming. Yes there were some moments when the family were somewhat surprised, even shocked, by what they termed ‘unfortunate’ circumstances. However, when all was/is said and done, we lived a tranquil life. Country living - very isolated =- does have benefits.

No we knew of no Car-pools - No one even possessed such a thing as a car. Even bicycles were few and far between, so I never got to visit Seven Sisters - a community to which later, my cousin Norman took his wife and daughters. Possessing a car LATER, we as a family did visit the Whirlpool, located downstream from Niagara Falls. However I was unable to take the cable car ride across same. Gave my Camera to my ‘fearless’ dear wife Pauline and she went without a shivering murmur! Some admission to make isn’t it? A 7 year veteran Sailor who could not and still cannot cross water when it moves below my feet - when seen! Leaning over the side of a ship, is great but, water moving below me seen through open framework? No way Jose! Heights? Never bother me, Climb trees, mountains and whatever,, I can look down and never flinch. Had a bad experience in Wales, when we were on vacation, and had to walk a wooden footpath, centred on a high open frame steel bridge. I literally closed my eyes, Clenched my teeth, and put myself in the hands of my darling wife, Pauline and had to be led - shivering like a jelly, until we reached the safety of solid ground on the far side! The Avon Suspension Bridge in England? Solid underpinning: no problem! Open observation towers over dry land? Okay! Love flying too - wanted to be a Naval Pilot, but an extremely long sighted ophthalmologist diagnosis, denied me my ambition. Still I did join the RN and served a short spell on a Carrier.- HMS Warrior. I have flown a glider, and been a passenger many times, in an open cockpit, small two seater plane, as we flew over Singapore and lower Malaya. Many such flights in England as an RAF Cadet. Later ina ricketty old Avro Anson - no sound proofing - I flew from Changi, Singapore to Borneo. Stopping off at Clark Field to let a typhoon go by, then on to Hong Kong, where the same Typhoon again delayed our departure, then finally to Japan. No problems! Crazy how certain ‘phobias’ can affect our lives. A complex Component of Life which has had an unwanted and certainly undesired effect on me many times, in my 90 plus years of enjoying life and whatsoever comes my way.!

Incidentally my ‘walking out’ or ‘dress’ naval uniform, was one I had made to measure in Singapore, was tailored from Sharkskin. The cloth was called Sharkskin because of its shiny gloss texture. Real Spivvy it was too! It or Doeskin as an alternative, was the ‘fashion’ back in 1952. Even smarter than Johnny Carson - the epitome of impeccable style when he appeared on TV.

Even as I write this biographical ‘blurb’ I hear a Siren sounding from a ambulance or police car. We have a main highway to our North. Straight-away section is perfect for speedsters who think the coast clear, and open up the throttle! With the railway alongside, they feel safe to race for a couple of miles, but level crossings allow the police to sit unobserved with Radar guns at the ready! Speedsters don't stand a hope in Hell of making it through without being caught!

Yes my Life has had its moments, but all-in-all, I sometimes think I was born with a Silver Spoon in my mouth when I compare it with that of many others. Some of my rewards have been won through efforts, comparable with Mike Tyson’s, whilst others have been a cinch - or so it would seem. I have few regrets, and think my generation has enjoyed the best of what this world has to offer. Summing up my days and looking around me, I regret to say, I see little but hatred, selfish greed, and a host of power hungry politicians akin to Attila the Hun. A “Me, Me, Me” generation, that ignores poverty,and racism - which is rife at a time when the Cornucopia of Life - the Horn of Plenty - is overflowing with everything anyone could ever need! If only the energy spent on pointless wars and confrontations and the weapons of killing innocent folks, and power struggles was put to positive use? Utopia would be ours! A universal panacea that remains as unattainable today, as it did when man was first chosen - or decided he’d be - the Keeper of all things Worldly, with no idea of how to cary out his duties! End of Mini Story Chapter. Denis.

PS: I too am having all manner of problems with this site today. The reason I write on Word Perfect: Copy and Paste! Even so it has taken me over two hours to get this far. Fingers cross this will go as intended. Ciao Denis.

silver spoon
sharkskin
siren
component
clenched
Maelstrom
Dunderhead
Gooseneck
Patronise
Nunnery

JustDaniel
post Jul 28 20, 09:22
Post #155

Ornate Oracle

silver spoon
sharkskin
siren
component
clenched
Maelstrom
Dunderhead
Gooseneck
Patronise
Nunnery

I really am a DUNDERHEAD, and I could have saved myself from a MAELSTROM of difficulties had I written my previous blurbs on Microsoft Word and posted, here, as in fact I’m doing now. Thank you the explanation of SHARKSKIN. I was unfamiliar with that type of material, and my dress blues certainly were not made with it. Not sure if my commander would have approved of my being in a shiny uniform.
I did see Mike Tyson on the Tonight show last night, but frankly I cannot imagine him with CLENCHED fists in the ring again, though if he does I can imagine the sound of SIRENs to take him to the hospital. He has a SILVER SPOON already in his mouth, and he ought to be satisfied with that.
The path of my story here has come to a GOOSENECK, and has to go a different direction to fit the rest of the word in, because I am off to the dentist in a few minutes! On the way back I will not PATRONIZE the NUNNERY or any COMPONENT of some illegal operation, I assure you. I want to come back to see what you’re going to do next.

maelstrom
dunderhead
gooseneck
patronize
nunnery
tanning parlor
apple cobbler
boysenberry
strudel
mountain climber

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 28 20, 15:35
Post #156

Trojan

[size
After reading your intention to visit the dentist, I will admit that although I do not have a Gooseneck, I did get an attack of goose bumps! Had too many encounters and run in with dentists not to react the way I do. Let’s face it, I lost the sight of my left eye because a dentist stuck his anti pain injection into the vein that serves the retina. Instant blindness which some 30 plus years on, allows me a little light ans little else! I have a need to go and get some tooth work done now, but they’re not allowed to practice yet! Have often thought what a good description it is to speak of medical people, having a ‘practice’! Could tell you some horror stories of what I’ve suffered down through the years! One reason I try not to Patronise them! Found more than one Dunderhead calling himself a Dentist. My present dentist - Lady practitioner would be better off in a Nunnery in my book! Though the way she can let rip with a few swear words, probably prevents her attending same!! But then, we have such a choice living here in a rural district. It’s either her or no-one! Of course, I have just remembered? There is a resident Vet! Wonder if he’d fix the teeth of an old Sea Dog?

We are still suffering and that is the right word believe you me, the heat - hottest July on record since 1910 we\re told. Nothing like useless information to amuse us in this pandemic era. Doubtless it will end in a Maelstrom thunderclap explosion - as they usually do when the heat finally gives way to the cooler, more acceptable weather. I well remember one such October when we worked a ten acre orchard along with my regular :landscaping Business. The day before we were due to pick our apples for the buyer, a twenty minute hailstorm, brought 90% of the ripe apples to the ground. Instead of a payday of $30,000:00 dollars we were lucky to get 3 Thousand! I recruited the local Boy Scout Troop to pick them up and we filled a 30 yard dumpster which went to the cider press. No Apple Cobbler for us! As for Boysenberry and Apple Pie? Was my favourite back in the UK. We called the berries by a different name, but nonetheless, the resulting pie my Mother made, was to die for! Strudel too, though Mother was not so keen on baking anything outside of English style food, and she regarded Strudel as a foreign dish. I’m inclined to agree with her on that, but have on the odd occasion, enjoyed a nice helping of same. I seriously think that time and place, when one samples unusual foods, has a bearing on their acceptance and enjoyment. For instance. Chinese Food as known and sold in restaurants throughout North America, does not stand a chance of being thought Chinese if and when, it is compared with ‘true’ Chinese food, such as I’ve eaten in Hong Kong and other Far East locations. However, one thing I did discover was that MSG - a taste enhancer, used extensively everywhere, is a deadly allergen for me! Used in abundance in almost all Chinese eating establishments! Having suffered some horrible experiences after eating same. Four day migraines were what finally gave the game away! Today? No more Chinese for me!

Your Tanning Parlour word also brought a smile to my face for next to the family owned and run, restaurant where my workers and I would sometimes meet for a coffee, before heading out to our respective tasks, there was a Tanning Parlour run by a German Émigré and his wife. Up front it seemed legitimate, but it proved more than a fancy name for naughty tricks. Numerous patrons - almost all male, came and went on a regular basis, but never seemed to show signs of becoming “Tanned”. Finally the local Cop shop cottoned on to the shenanigans on going, and raided the joint. Put the end to a very lucrative Tanning Parlour” operation! Seems the ‘tanning’ ongoing, was not what one really expected - I understood. It was certainly a “joint” venture the two of them ran!
As for me being a Mountain Climber? Here I must admit that my many activities have never put me in a position where I might be considered such a one. I have climbed many times. Hills, dales and low peaks some might term Mountains, but few over three thousand feet. Have flown over many mountains - one has to fly between twin Peaks when exiting Hong Kong - that was somewhat of a nerve wracking experience when one - as I did - flew out of there back in 1953 after the typhoon had gone inland to Mainland China. Our little old Anson made it with little more than eight feet clearance as we headed on our way to Japan. I can visualise that day with no trouble whatsoever. Actuallly flew close to Nagasaki which still showed many signs of the Atom Bomb raid.
No maintain climbing has not been on my agenda. However, I’ll bet you dollars to doughnuts I had one experience few others have enjoyed? Namely swimming in the middle of the Indian Ocean! No land within hundreds of miles - except about three miles - straight down! Guarded by rifle toting Seamen in whaler boats to keep an eye on Sharks that infested those waters! Wouldn’t say no to such a swim right now, as the summer heat is enervating and I’m about exhausted!
Now it’s up to Sylvia or you for the next imaginative Chapter. Ciao for now. Denis.

nunnery
tanning parlor
apple cobbler
boysenberry
strudel
Guernsey
apron
lathe
willow
soccer ball.[/size]

JustDaniel
post Jul 29 20, 06:14
Post #157

Ornate Oracle

nunnery
boysenberries
apple cobbler
Guernsey
apron
strudel
willow
lathe
tanning parlor
soccer ball

My paternal grandmother had a man-friend named Joe Shiller. (She would never re-marry because of her Catholic belief in no marriage after divorce, and my grandfather left her and their three sons at a railroad camp where her father was leader of the crews that built the stone bridges for the Northern Pacific Railroad from Indiana to Seattle) Joe was a wonderful and helpful, caring guy who often brought a load of day-old bakery products and other food to our house, was actually life-in caretaker for a NUNNERY in Tacoma. One of several berries that Grandma grew were BOYSENBERRIES and loganberries, so I had my share both berry and pies and APPLE COBBLER when I worked her yard and garden with her during two summers before I left for college in Pasadena.

Many years later, early in our marriage, we visited the Pennsylvania Dutch country, near Lancaster, PA. On their many sprawling farms, where you would see nary a telephone pole on the whole horizon, there were many GUERNSEYS and other varieties of cows on most every one of them. We toured the shops of several small towns in the Dutch Country (Deutsch, actually, as they descendants of German settlers), but the “English” folk heard their description as “Dutch” purchasing all kinds of knickknacks and mementos to take home as gifts to our children and friends. We were waited on by many a kindly Amish woman with her handmade clothing, complete with APRON, in one shop purchasing some wonderful peach STRUDEL, which we took outside and ate pleasantly beneath a cooling and overshadowing WILLOW tree. I think we were in Intercourse, and we had some wonderful helpings of it (and strudel too).

We enjoyed visiting some other establishment where the handy Amish men produced all manner of items both with hand tools and in some places machines, including LATHES, where they spun out many a beautiful chair or table leg and such. Because of their constant covering with their clothing, the Amish might well benefit from TANNING PARLORS, but there certainly weren’t any in those towns! It was nice to go back through the country and be joined along the road by one of the many horse with a buggy behind (as my father-in-law used to describe the transportation mode of black buggies with steel wheel rims, horses clopping them along the roads with all the automobiles giving them ample space to operate. We would see many a child with their two-wheeled scooters, one-legging them to propel down the road or within the farm property. I even saw a few playing with a SOCCER BALL, one on the farm where we went to purchase a supply of fresh, natural honey. We have many fond memories of visiting there… and we also always came home with fresh Swiss cheese from one of the dairies where we would go to see them make it.

Guernsey
apron
lathe
willow
soccer ball
heifer
abscond
amenities
daydreaming
trickster

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 29 20, 08:53
Post #158

Trojan

Ah what memories of days of yore flit through my head, as I read your latest Chapter. Always a keen and fairly talented, soccer player - I possess Winner Medals for cups won when I played the position of Full Back (right or left as needs dictated - I'm ambidextrous)I was part of the RN (Far East Fleet) Soccer Team in the Far East - boastfully admitting we never lost a single game, when I played for them. All over Japan and other places. A Soccer Ball was always part of my essential baggage. When I attended school I would occasionally Abscond from class to play. It was this that I believe developed my Trickster skills - both on and off the field! Likewise the joy of hearing the solid smack of a cricket ball on the Willow blade of a cricket bat on a quiet summer evening, followed by the clapping of villagers and a celebratory drink - game won or lost - who enjoyed the game as much as did we, the players. I personally played for my school and for the village team. Here, along with my father and Uncle Tom - both hold records for bowling and batting even today! My other claim to fame and my lifetime passion, was my ability to run long distance marathons with some small success. Proudly I can say my greatest triumph was winning the Senior Cross Country Race (21 miles in length) This for my school “House” - Treves, when I, inrecorded a record time, that still stands today! A moment I relive when Daydreaming in the cool of my garden, “Retreat “ area. A place where I and my dear wife Pauline, often recall the days when she, coming from the Channel Isle of Jersey - Guernsey - being another of the Islands that make up the British Channel Islands off the coast of France - recall the joyous day - more than 65 years ago - when we made or Vows. The next day we moved to Newton Stacey where I was taken on as a student - after leaving the RN - to help with the Guernsey herd of ‘Milkers’ and Heifers. A herd that was renowned for its consistent quality of milk in Hampshire County, Southern England. Thanks to Guy Jenkins the Herdsman,, my new career took off and I never looked back!
One of my hobbies, and a passionate pursuit at the time, was my donning a leather Apron, standing at an electric Lathe, to form a wooden bowl from an Oak or Beech Gnarl or Knot as most would understand. After the lathe work, came the sanding and staining and polishing, before it was ready to serve as a fruit or - if small - a trinket tray. On emigration to Canada in 1966, I gave all such artefacts - witness to my endeavours, to my Mother and Sister. Would love to do such wood work again, but age and sight restrictions, dictate otherwise. Henceforth my pleasure today depends upon my ability to enjoy my several desktop computers that, with their array of eclectic programmes, and connections, allow me the pleasure of getting to know and communicate with folks I never knew existed. An incredible world was made available to me, when I decided to ‘have a go’ at computering. A long but interesting and life changing decision, I will never regret as it allows me the freedom to write my poetry and connect with the world as and when I choose.
Today I often think on the ‘different folks” such as Amish and Mennonites - had a good Mennonite friend who sadly left us unexpectedly some years ago. Dealings with the Hutterite Sect which I found hard to comprehend. As for monetary dealings with same? Almost an impossibility. Contracts meant nothing to them unless it was to their advantage! This when I travelled as a Purchasing Agent for an American Chicken Processing Company in Manitoba, Ca. No Dukabors (Spelling?) though! A life time of discovery, rife with enjoyment and pleasures, that has been my good fortune to experience. Not done yet. Hopefully. Denis.

abscond
amenities
daydreaming
trickster
heifer
Channel Isles
broilers
traveller
processing.
Turkey

JustDaniel
post Jul 29 20, 10:36
Post #159

Ornate Oracle

daydreaming
processing
traveler
amenities
turkey
abscond
heifer
broiler
Channel Isles
trickster

Well, I just returned from the office of my surgeon, where (after a bit of DAYDREAMING and sudoku-solving while masked in the lobby) they removed the remaining half of the staples from my July 2 right knee surgery. Doc gave me permission to return to work (part-time with MedAQuest, serving as “companion” to some patient with some disability or other). My previous client is now being served by someone else in my absence, so I’ll be waiting for being assigned to someone else, probably two days per week, likely on weekends for 4 hours per day – with a lot of paperwork for PROCESSING in order to be paid. I’ll likely become a TRAVELER, not only having to commute in my van to the patient’s location (with no AMENITIES but a mask and filters plus sanitizing solution for our protection from COVID) but to transport him/her to go shopping or whatever might be needed. When I visit MedAQuest’s offices next, nearly an hour away, I may be able to “talk TURKEY” for or ABSCOND with a few extra masks and filters to avoid having to drive there for a few months. I really hate having to drive there. There’s such congestion, especially in the summer, when folks are going to and from the shore, and their offices are right on one of the favorite routes.

When I’m en route I feel like I’m a HEIFER (or more correctly a male calf) being prepared as veal in a BROILER. However, when I’m on my way back, much relieved (because the traffic is usually a little less going north in the summer, at least during the late morning or afternoon when I’d be driving) my mind tends to wander, going from one to another CHANNEL – ILES upon isles where I bask in the shade of an umbrella at some beach, whiling away the day. My mind is a kind of TRICKSTER like that.

Channel Isles
broilers
traveler
processing.
turkey
bologna
spice rack
tuna fish
hoagie rolls
romaine lettuce

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Rhymer
post Jul 29 20, 15:57
Post #160

Trojan

Summer time and the heat remains oppressive. A time for Romaine Lettuce, Bologna and Tuna Fish or a slice or two of cold Turkey . A little dab of ‘something’ from the Spice Rack, with a Cuban Hoagie Roll as a ‘filler’ and I’m set to sit and reminisce yet again! Sometimes I prefer a slice of Broiler rather than Tuna fish or Turkey, but it is not an essential. A hoagie filled with sliced cucumber, cheese and lettuce, is just as satisfying for me.

When I was a Traveller for Swift Canadian - a temporary job as I travelled as a Buyer, and often felt sorry for the producer/grower from whom I had to buy. Prices I was authorised to offer, seldom reflected the true cost of producing turkeys or broilers for the Processor. Namely Swift processing. Having been a Producer myself when I ran a ten thousand Broiler Operation at Lac du Bonnet community in Manitoba, I knew full well how much time and effort went into such an operation. Even at a dollar an hour for labour, you struggled to survive. I was given no leeway to negotiate. Many producers were deeply indebted to Swift as they had accepted their offer for feed - at Swift’s prices. Having signed their future away, they were being shafted in every way! I soon quit what I thought, a heartless and thankless job! It was a rip-off and as such, went against all I had ever been taught. At the very least they deserved the minimum respect and consideration one could expect from a Salesman or Buyer. At this time in my life it was a far cry from what I had seen and enjoyed during my short but life changing stay in the Channel Isles. Denis.

turkey
bologna
spice rack
tuna fish
processing
squid
Seychelles
gambling
deadlights
forecastle or fo’c’sle.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

18 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:28

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: