Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Name Brand Challenge, make a note of brands around your house!
Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 17 03, 05:57
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

OK everyone!

Time for something 'familiar'.....   Jester.gif  Juggle.gif  Jester.gif  farmer.gif  pumpkin.gif  farmer.gif

As you stroll through your home, workplace, family or friends living quarters, make a note of the brand names you find on paper like: Bounty, Dove, Wisk, Snuggle, Selsen Blue, Yankee Candle, Sprite, Pringles, Kleenex...anything by BRAND NAME.

The challenge:   :drill:
Write a poem using the brand name of products (minus the trade mark symbol, we'll assume they are all trade-marked.  wink.gif  )....

The kicker:  medusa.gif
You MUST write in ABAB format and use an even number of syllables per line, like 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14.

Good luck! I'll be back shortly with my own post... PLEASE remember to BOLD, italicize or underline your brands....

Cheers!  pilgrim.gif
~Cleo  detective.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 17 03, 05:58
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Here is my version..... Viking.gif

Down on the Farm

The dove spread her wings to the sky,
and soared to a distant Dixie.
She snuggled with Freddie the fly,
while cresting white mountains and sea.

At dawn, they both snickered and spat,
From the heat, exhaustion set in.
Uncle Ben was chunky – quite fat;
but his farm had a hefty Fred kin!

The Maple grove’s covered in shade,
just the spot - for Maggie and Fred!
Where Samuel Adams once laid,
out back by the safeguarded shed.

The ritz and pizzazz on that farm,
a bullseye to fauna and foe;
It’s bounty is found in it’s charm,
the flora eat miracle grow.

If you ever get off the road,
make sure you stop in and say "Hi"!
My aunt Betty Crocker’s abode,
is welcome to all passersby.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 22 03, 03:41
Post #3

Help request!

As someone who knows very little about formal poetry styles (and, I have to admit, is very unlikely to use most of them) could you please tell me what "ABAB" means and in which learning thread I can find more info. Thanks! Jox.

Best guess: The emphasis on words? No? oh well...

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 22 03, 17:08
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jox @ Sep. 22 2003, 04:41)
Help request!

As someone who knows very little about formal poetry styles (and, I have to admit, is very unlikely to use most of them) could you please tell me what "ABAB" means and in which learning thread I can find more info. Thanks! Jox.

Best guess: The emphasis on words? No? oh well...

Hi 'J'!  detective.gif  pumpkin.gif

My ABAB rhyme scheme means that you should use a COUPLET -  
A pair of rhymed lines (of any specificable length or rhythm) that alternate the end rhyme from line to line, so line 1 will end in "A" and so will line 3 - line 2 with "B" and also line 4.
In my example - the first stanza goes like this:

The dove spread her wings to the sky,
and soared to a distant Dixie.
She snuggled with Freddie the fly,
while cresting white mountains and sea.

Where the A rhyme is sky/fly and the B rhyme is dixie/sea...

Make sense????? medusa.gif

~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Sep 22 03, 17:33
Post #5

Cleo, hi

Thanks for the explanation; I did not realise you meant that; I thought it something much more complex. Much appreciated. Strangely, only today, I have written my fastest poem in precisely that format - would never have known it was ABAB, though.

Unfortunatly, my new poem does not have brands in. Shucks! I could have had a ready-made brand poem there.

Thanks again, TTFN, Jox.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:07

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: