post Aug 25 03, 17:21
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

I just got a 'YES' from Michael Walker who invented this very catchy new type of poetic form called the Monotetra...WAY COOL!

Here is his definition and examples of this new form. You can find Michael's works at The Starlight Cafe:
http://www.thestarlitecafe.com under the pen name: Bronze Dragon..... knight.gif  :troy:  :vic:  :pharoah2

"Monotetra

The monotetra consists of any number of stanzas of four lines each. Each stanza contains a monorhyme, so that the pattern of the stanzas would be “aaaa bbbb cccc” and so on… this is where the “mono” in the name of the form comes in.

The “tetra” in the name of the form is because each line of each stanza is written in tetrameter – to those who hate metrical feet and such, this simply means that each line has eight (8) syllables. There is no need for “iambs” here…  

The other aspect of the monotetra is that the fourth line of each stanza is a repeating four-syllable phrase. It does not have to be an EXACT repetition, but close. Sound simple? Here’s an example stanza…

The monotetra’s catching fast
But how long will its allure last?
Who knows! The future’s wide and vast
So like the past, so like the past… "...

Here is another example of Michaels;

Song for Solace

'Tis moonlight dim upon the sky
As shadows play across my eye,
When oft these memories I spy –
That pass me by, they pass me by...

The creak of wood in unused halls
Reminding of long-past footfalls,
As to our bed you'd quickly crawl –
In fright and all, in fright and all...

These nights I often hear the sound
Of silent footsteps on the grounds.
Although I know no one's around –
I wander out, still wander out…

Oh yes, this neighborhood has changed
It’s denizens quite rearranged,
And every neighbor seems estranged –
How times will change, how fast they change…

Not long before, I thought not twice
To leave a window ope at night –
To grant you leave to ride your bike
Alone at night, alone that night…

I know the blame is not my own
And sinners reap what they have sown,
But thoughts help not when I’m alone –
I should have known, I should have known…

‘Tis moonlight dim upon the sky
Your face – imprinted on my mind
It’s now I know I have to try
To say goodbye, to say goodbye…

Thanks Michael!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   Monotetra - a NEW form   Aug 25 03, 17:21
- - Cleo_Serapis   The Iceberg and the Volcano Iceberg She loves to...   Aug 25 03, 17:27
- - Charon   Cleo, I like.  I may have to try this style,...   Aug 25 03, 19:58
- - Zeus²   Family Trip Family in  van, not corvette not even...   Aug 25 03, 20:53
- -   Thank you for sharing my form with your community ...   Aug 26 03, 08:35
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Atila The Hun @ Aug. 25 2003, 20:58)Cl...   Aug 26 03, 20:25
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Zeus² @ Aug. 25 2003, 21:53)Family Tri...   Aug 26 03, 20:26
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (BronzeDragon @ Aug. 26 2003, 09:35)Tha...   Aug 26 03, 20:28
- -   Dear Cleo and Michael Michael, this form is delig...   Oct 3 03, 03:47
- - Jox   Alan, a brilliant effort! (You didn't use ...   Oct 3 03, 03:57
- -   Dear Jox I'm gonna have to stop posting if al...   Oct 3 03, 04:29
- - Jox   I would hate to stop you posting Alan but with tho...   Oct 3 03, 06:30
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 03 2003, 04:47)Dear Cleo a...   Oct 4 03, 16:42
- -   Dear Cleo Thank you very much ! I loved doing...   Oct 4 03, 18:56
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 04 2003, 19:56)Dear Cleo ...   Oct 5 03, 07:03
- -   Alan - your monotetra was excellent!  I l...   Oct 25 03, 06:12
- -   Dear Michael Now that I have checked the members ...   Oct 25 03, 19:16
- -   VICE There's nothing aglow, not even moon lig...   Mar 14 04, 19:54
- - Cleo_Serapis   Glistened Glee Their nights of ice call to embrac...   May 2 04, 16:12
- - JustDaniel   I haven’t time to do justice to such a form as thi...   Jun 11 04, 06:31
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Just Daniel @ June 11 2004, 07:31)I ha...   Jun 12 04, 07:42
- - Cathy   I wrote this poem for my son, Anthony Precious Me...   Nov 13 04, 00:17
- - JustDaniel   Grace Oh’s Us Art A monotetra fills its space wit...   Jan 8 07, 18:09
- - Larry   A Musing Form While strolling through the halls t...   Dec 9 17, 23:21
- - Larry   The Knack Would that those who had come to pen th...   Dec 14 17, 16:37
- - Larry   Harried Christmas As Twenty-Seventeen winds down ...   Dec 28 17, 09:21
- - JustDaniel   An Egg's Crack You have a knack with that old...   Jan 7 18, 09:13
- - Larry   A Long Goodbye Why can’t the world view what I s...   Jan 7 18, 22:52
- - JustDaniel   ERRATA I can't believe I erred again and blot...   Jan 8 18, 00:12
- - JustDaniel   Airing more Errors Oh my! I've screwed it...   Jan 8 18, 00:32
- - Larry   Just Human Although we’re human, as it were and w...   Jan 8 18, 17:27

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 00:05

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: