post Aug 25 03, 17:21
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

I just got a 'YES' from Michael Walker who invented this very catchy new type of poetic form called the Monotetra...WAY COOL!

Here is his definition and examples of this new form. You can find Michael's works at The Starlight Cafe:
http://www.thestarlitecafe.com under the pen name: Bronze Dragon..... knight.gif  :troy:  :vic:  :pharoah2

"Monotetra

The monotetra consists of any number of stanzas of four lines each. Each stanza contains a monorhyme, so that the pattern of the stanzas would be “aaaa bbbb cccc” and so on… this is where the “mono” in the name of the form comes in.

The “tetra” in the name of the form is because each line of each stanza is written in tetrameter – to those who hate metrical feet and such, this simply means that each line has eight (8) syllables. There is no need for “iambs” here…  

The other aspect of the monotetra is that the fourth line of each stanza is a repeating four-syllable phrase. It does not have to be an EXACT repetition, but close. Sound simple? Here’s an example stanza…

The monotetra’s catching fast
But how long will its allure last?
Who knows! The future’s wide and vast
So like the past, so like the past… "...

Here is another example of Michaels;

Song for Solace

'Tis moonlight dim upon the sky
As shadows play across my eye,
When oft these memories I spy –
That pass me by, they pass me by...

The creak of wood in unused halls
Reminding of long-past footfalls,
As to our bed you'd quickly crawl –
In fright and all, in fright and all...

These nights I often hear the sound
Of silent footsteps on the grounds.
Although I know no one's around –
I wander out, still wander out…

Oh yes, this neighborhood has changed
It’s denizens quite rearranged,
And every neighbor seems estranged –
How times will change, how fast they change…

Not long before, I thought not twice
To leave a window ope at night –
To grant you leave to ride your bike
Alone at night, alone that night…

I know the blame is not my own
And sinners reap what they have sown,
But thoughts help not when I’m alone –
I should have known, I should have known…

‘Tis moonlight dim upon the sky
Your face – imprinted on my mind
It’s now I know I have to try
To say goodbye, to say goodbye…

Thanks Michael!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 25 03, 17:27
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

The Iceberg and the Volcano

Iceberg

She loves to swim by midnight moon
on starless nights, to view Neptune.
Her place atop the highest dune
is crystal hewn, is crystal hewn.

The ice of past lives on in her,
she wears a shielded pallid spur.
An arctic mass, she likes to stir
the roots that were, the roots that were.

She breaks from glacier roaming free,
and proudly shines a face of glee.
Her girth submerged for all to see,
in frozen sea, in frozen sea.

Volcano

He loves to breathe a fire's tongue
and spread a lace of ashen dung.
His place of magma inked in sun
is lava sprung, is lava sprung.

The dragon's lair is crammed with gas,
his sulfur stench, he soon will pass.
He wears a shield of molten mass
that yearns to last, that yearns to last.

He breaks from mountain's oozing vent
and colors earth with scorching dent.
His girth submerged in Nature's tent,
unkindly gent, unkindly gent.

© Lorraine Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Charon
post Aug 25 03, 19:58
Post #3

Egyptian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 5

Cleo,

I like.  I may have to try this style, definitely different, could be fun.  Poetry - fun  - hey what a concept, hey what a concept.

AtH

I've got to get me my own Smilie. troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Beware the smile
for it hides a good time.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Zeus²_*
post Aug 25 03, 20:53
Post #4

Family Trip

Family in  van, not corvette
not even room for our big pet
looking for fast food, a big sweat
are we there yet !!! are we there yet!!!

Z2 JackBox.gif

Guest__*
post Aug 26 03, 08:35
Post #5

Thank you for sharing my form with your community - I am honored.

Michael

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 26 03, 20:25
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Atila The Hun @ Aug. 25 2003, 20:58)
Cleo,

I like.  I may have to try this style, definitely different, could be fun.  Poetry - fun  - hey what a concept, hey what a concept.

AtH

I've got to get me my own Smilie. troy.gif

Hey AtH!  :troy:

Yes - I took al iking to this myself!

Hope you'll give it a go!!!! dance.gif

:pharoah2
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 26 03, 20:26
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeus² @ Aug. 25 2003, 21:53)
Family Trip

Family in  van, not corvette
not even room for our big pet
looking for fast food, a big sweat
are we there yet !!! are we there yet!!!

Z2 JackBox.gif

LOL.gif "Z"...

Very good for your first try!!!!

Come on .... how about another?  ???  :laugh:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 26 03, 20:28
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (BronzeDragon @ Aug. 26 2003, 09:35)
Thank you for sharing my form with your community - I am honored.

Michael

Why hello Bronzy! sun.gif

A big thank YOU for allowing us to show off your new form here! And a WELCOME to the Mosaic is in order...

I DO hope you'll find SOME time, to share more of your talents with us...

Take care!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 3 03, 03:47
Post #9

Dear Cleo and Michael

Michael, this form is delightful ! I know your examples are "serious", but I see it as VERY Lewis Carrollesque. See below : (and please give me some ruthless feedback !)

Love
Alan

THIS IS THE QUESTION

A ghost on battlements appears;
Hamlet can/can’t believe his ears
And eyes, at all, but what he hears
Will stoke his fears, does stoke his fears.

Ham’s Dad is dead, poison imbued,
Administered by uncle lewd,
Whom Hamlet’s Mum, so hot, pursued;
Call her Gertrude, call her Gert, rude.

Ham’s lady friend attention gets
As off she floats, by egress wet.
Will she return, don’t place your bets,
She pays her debts, she pays his debts .....

Old Pol to hide, does arras grab,
Stage whisp’ring, he’d the gift of gab,
No longer able now to blab,
Another slab, another slab.

Young Hamlet thinks, or thinks he found
A firm idea, one which is sound,
But indecisive, he is crowned
Above the ground ? No ! 'Neath the ground !

These frolics at old Elsinore
At school I used to find a bore,
Now I’m inspired, could write much more.
“What ever for ?” “No, nevermore !”

So pleased, new poem form to find,
Original, quite different kind.
First effort poor ? I’ve half a mind
To leave unsigned, or shall I sign .....

And yet .....
Alan McAlpine Douglas

Guest_Jox_*
post Oct 3 03, 03:57
Post #10

Alan, a brilliant effort! (You didn't use a ghost writer, did you?). I had feared a poison pen letter, but this poem is splendid.

You have captured the best play ever written and completely screwed it up (joke!) - just like the man himself; wonderful. I especially like the indecisive ending... appropriate to the last. Goodnight sweet Prince. Oops, my error, sorry, cheerio Alan.

By the way, have you seen Roz & Gild?

Jox.

Guest__*
post Oct 3 03, 04:29
Post #11

Dear Jox

I'm gonna have to stop posting if all you can do is make more, and more awful, puns in every answer ! LOL.

Thanks for your comments, I was aiming to emulate, nice that you agree !

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Oct 3 03, 06:30
Post #12

I would hate to stop you posting Alan but with those poems I simply have to pun. Tell you what, we ought to start a Punner's Poem sequence - like Cleo's Halloween... might only be thee and me there but I think it could subvert poetry as we know it. McGonegal (wrong spelling I think) Rises Again!

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 4 03, 16:42
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 03 2003, 04:47)
Dear Cleo and Michael

Michael, this form is delightful ! I know your examples are "serious", but I see it as VERY Lewis Carrollesque. See below : (and please give me some ruthless feedback !)

Love
Alan

THIS IS THE QUESTION

A ghost on battlements appears;
Hamlet can/can’t believe his ears
And eyes, at all, but what he hears
Will stoke his fears, does stoke his fears.

Ham’s Dad is dead, poison imbued,
Administered by uncle lewd,
Whom Hamlet’s Mum, so hot, pursued;
Call her Gertrude, call her Gert, rude.

Ham’s lady friend attention gets
As off she floats, by egress wet.
Will she return, don’t place your bets,
She pays her debts, she pays his debts .....

Old Pol to hide, does arras grab,
Stage whisp’ring, he’d the gift of gab,
No longer able now to blab,
Another slab, another slab.

Young Hamlet thinks, or thinks he found
A firm idea, one which is sound,
But indecisive, he is crowned
Above the ground ? No ! 'Neath the ground !

These frolics at old Elsinore
At school I used to find a bore,
Now I’m inspired, could write much more.
“What ever for ?” “No, nevermore !”

So pleased, new poem form to find,
Original, quite different kind.
First effort poor ? I’ve half a mind
To leave unsigned, or shall I sign .....

And yet .....
Alan McAlpine Douglas

Well well Alan!

This is a great first monotetra!  :pharoah2

I'll have to go back and peek at the requirements, but I do believe you cannot vary Line four, it must repeat in 4 syllables. NOPE- you CAN vary line 4 in each stanza (slightly as you've done here)!

VERY CLEVER!  :detective:   pilgrim.gif  :detective:  :detective:  :pilgrim:

All I can think of after reading this one is that movie "Renaissance Man" when Danny Devito is trying to teach his army recruits literature using Hamlet. What's great as a poet, is that he teaches RHYTHM by using a chant - da da da da da...tapping on the desk for them...So they come back with this:

Hamlet's mother, she's the queen
Buys it in the final scene
Drinks a glass of funky wine
Now she's Satan's Valentine.

See - you've got the beat my friend!

Cheers!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 4 03, 18:56
Post #14

Dear Cleo

Thank you very much ! I loved doing it, and think I might add a few more Hamlet characters' verses !

Do you agree it is very Carrollesque ?

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 5 03, 07:03
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alan @ Oct. 04 2003, 19:56)
Dear Cleo

Thank you very much ! I loved doing it, and think I might add a few more Hamlet characters' verses !

Do you agree it is very Carrollesque ?

Love
Alan

LOL.gif

Ohhhhh absolutely!  :laugh:  :grinning:  :cool:  :oops:  :)  :speechless:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Oct 25 03, 06:12
Post #16

Alan - your monotetra was excellent!  I love the use of the great play to your will!  Keep writing my friend!  This was really good!

Michael

Guest__*
post Oct 25 03, 19:16
Post #17

Dear Michael

Now that I have checked the members list to discover that you are the INVENTOR   of this form, I aM blushing a red as if I'd had a dragon's-breath roasting !

Thank you very much !

The Q I asked Cleo, I see this as a great comedy form, as you will note from "This is the Question". Lewis Carrollesque. Do you agree ?

Love
Alan

Guest__*
post Mar 14 04, 19:54
Post #18

VICE

There's nothing aglow, not even moon light,
no virtue in flight, 'ways, I can't move for fright,
for it ain't just dark, but absolute absence of light :
black as midnight, black as midnight.

Beneath Neptune's damp, but much colder, like ice,
could it be true, I'm paying the price ?
Wonder, will that damn cock ever crow thrice,
for one living by vice, by one living for dice .....

VIRTUE

Beauty, discretion, innocence, grace;
see, I'll ink out the rest, for modesty's trace,
so ideal that I'd not come undone on a lace,
there's a smile on my face, that's a smile, not grimace !

No colour too pallid, no statement too bland,
Not tiger too fierce, nor dragon's breath fanned,
no lines in the sand; missing gland shows I'm unmanned ?
That's the lie of the land, that's the lie in the land .....

Alan McAlpine Douglas

Cleo_Serapis
post May 2 04, 16:12
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Glistened Glee

Their nights of ice call to embrace
a shattered love, a lonely face
emerging panes of misty lace
dewdrops do trace, dewdrops do trace.

His warmth of moon’s reflective stares
that seek to soothe arctic affairs
of silent shards too ripe to bear
in sightless air, in sightless air.

She kisses winter’s canopy
where snowflakes fall, distinct and free
to rest upon a welcomed sea
of glistened glee, of glistened glee.

Their nights of ice call to embrace
a long lost love, a blissful face
emerging panes of fertile lace
teardrops do trace, teardrops do trace.

Copyright © 2004 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jun 11 04, 06:31
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

I haven’t time to do justice
to such a form as this, as this
is scootin’ time; I’d be remiss
must go; don’t dis… must go; don’t dis

me first attempt at monotet,
since I’ve no time jest now to set
a spell and chat until I get
the feel fer it… the feel fer it

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:24

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: