post Jan 25 05, 20:37
Post #1

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

TOTALLY REVISED, THANKS TO HELP FROM ALL YOU GENEROUS PEOPLE.

RESERVATION

Sunset coils around steppes,
a sinister red snake
scalding a path between escarpments
and sensual drool of river.
Egged on by lusty moans of breezes,
summer air has a viscous taste,
as if fork-tongued vipers
were emptying glands of venom:
unchecked violence
under dome of despair.

Grappling forms
etched against toilet-bowl sky,
gusts pawing at naked thighs;
invasive light bares fangs of thistles,
like hordes of skeletons sidling
up gaunt shoulders of rock.

Scrub shines bone-sharp
in vermilion light,
revealing harshness of a Republic,
loutish dealings,
enforced return of this land’s
rightful lineage
to encompassing dust of steppes,
to piercing thorns,
hissed across flatlands
by myriad spent sunsets.

Procreation of days and nights,
enervating sounds,
outrageous confinement
hidden from civilization’s dull eyes.
Summer light, slithering behind horizons,
leaps over wasted women,
mockery pealing in their ears:
bloated bodies delivered
into bondage, until years
of fertility become a memory.

Crucifixion of a people
awaiting dayspring.

By Psyche.

(Overcrowding, alcohol, illness & despair in reservations, camps, salt-wastes, etc., of Patagonia)

Copyright Sylvia Maclagan, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2005.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest__*
post Jan 26 05, 05:29
Post #2

Dear Sylvia,

I was going to comment, but I do not feel qualified - I'm a man ....

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 26 05, 06:14
Post #3

Hi Sylvia,

This poem, despite its theme is full of life and vigour. I don't have time to offer all the crit I wish to so please don't reply to this yet - I'll re-edit it later.

PROCREATION  

Sunset coiled around the steppes
like a sinister red snake,
burning a path between escarpments
and the sensual drool of a river,
egged on by the lusty moans of breezes.

(verse split?)

The air had a viscous taste,
as if some fork-tongued viper
had emptied its glands of venom
meant only for unholy mating
in the dead of night.

(Two proximate snake metaphors are a tad confusing)

A man struggled with a woman brutishly,
their forms etched against a chamber-pot sky,

(I find a "chamber pot sky" to be amusing - not the effect which you intended, methinks. There is a deep-SEATED link between chamber pots and humour in the british PSYCHE! I'm not even sure what you meant to mean with "chamber pot sky".)

draughts pawing at their naked thighs.

(Draughts makes me think of the counters with which one plays the board game, draughts. May I suggest breezes or some such?)

Invasive light bared the fangs of thistles
that sidled like horny skeletons
up gaunt shoulders of rock.

(Fangs - third snake metaphor... becomming v confusing).

The scrub shone bone-sharp
in vermilion  light,
revealing the dumbness of the land
and the unanswerable riddle
of females exhausted by loveless mating.

(Why is it a riddle?)(Verse split here too?)

An unforgiving return of their lineage
to the encompassing dust of steppes,
to piercing thorns,
was screamed across flatlands
by a million spent sunsets.

Yet the eternal procreation of days and nights
brimmed with enervating sounds
from lush breeding grounds,
hidden from the woman’s sluggish eyes.

(Verse split, maybe?)

The sunset leaped over her,
crashing behind the horizon
as its laughter pealed in her ears:
she would deliver her bloated body
into bondage… year after snarling year.

Hi Sylvia - might sound as if I don't like this poem from the comments. Such is not so. I have been focussing on my "corrections" but I haven't finished and there is much to commend here too... I'll be back.

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 26 05, 06:51
Post #4

Greetings, Sylvia. dove.gif

I see James has started a crit and will be editing: I shall therefore do the same (as it may change in light of his comments). Hope this isn't making it too complicated  upside.gif

This is a viscerally uncompromising piece which I find powerful and disturbing. Both the beauty and brutishness remain etched in my vision after a few readings. I am reaching for the words to describe how it feels - and failing: it is such a stong evocation.

I like the snake images that twist evilly thru the story, coiling it together: very biblical.

I agree with James that the scene with the man and woman has a couple of problems; 'chamber-pot' is not going to work (at least here, where it has way too many humerous connotations) and draughts pawing at their naked thighs conjours a strange image for me, at least. How about something like: chill breezes slithered across naked thighs/flesh (More snakes)?

I am not sure about the 'feminist' sub-title. It is a story of victimisation. Often victims are women. But some can rise thru the bleakest situations and show inner strength beyond that of any man.

I will also return later, and with great interest.

Fran

Psyche
post Jan 26 05, 11:31
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Fran !

I had already done some editing of my own in the dead of night, talking with my pillow, I mean  ghostface.gif  

Thank you so much for your highly useful comments. I'm relieved you appreciate the "snake" visualizations and mention "biblical". That's OK, because I've added a footnote to explain about the wicked mythological snake of the Mapuche dwellers of Patagonia. It is indeed a mystical and/or mythological reference, as well as having sexual connotations according to people as far apart as St. Augustine and Freud.... !!!!   Speechless.gif Snakes are found in many religions, creeds, etc.
Sorry about the lack of clarity of some of my poems !! They belong in a certain context. My Patagonian collection has a Preface and a Glossary. I believe the footnotes will go at the end, don't know yet  oops.gif

This is actually a totally new poem that I may add on, we'll see.

Thank you for pointing out "draughts", I've changed it to "gusts", hope it sounds better. I'll see where I can include "slither".

I am not sure about the 'feminist' sub-title. It is a story of victimisation. Often victims are women. But some can rise thru the bleakest situations and show inner strength beyond that of any man.

Perhaps I should change the subtitle to "victimization" (Don't know how to go about it... ). But believe me, women and unwanted babes are by far the most victimized people on earth, followed by oldsters. This is not exclusive to poor, marginal societies. Curiously, both my daughter and stepdaughter work with abused (often sexually abused) children and their mothers. Diana in Patagonia, Argentina; and Ale in Spokane, USA. Their descriptions are hair-raising, hearbreaking, and there are few signs of improvement, whatever the neighbourhood.

I'll see about chamber-pot... it's indeed humorous, but I intended it as black humor. Even the sky is er... like an upside-down excremental vessel... help !  Read.gif

Yes, I want this poem to be disturbing.
Thanks a lot for your comments, Fran,
best,
Psyche

chilly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jan 26 05, 11:45
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Alan !
I see no reason for you to be unqualified, as a father and man, to comment on victimisation. But I'm very grateful that you went down that road anyway :D ???
Have you any idea how I can remove the subtitle from my poem? Or change it?
Thanks a lot, Alan,
love,
Sylvia

:) :)

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jan 26 05, 11:56
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi there James !

Thanks for scrutinizing my poem so carefully. I already edited some bits due to a conversation with my pillow, but haven't removed the "amusing" chamber-pot, as yet.  Let me try the seat for size a while longer  :jester:

I've exchanged draughts for gusts, as Fran and you rightly pointed out the difficulties.

Will return to see about the verse splits, I think they're a good idea, thank you.

Must rush off to attend chores (victimisation???  :jester: )

Best,
Sylvia dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jan 26 05, 12:39
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi again, Fran !
Found a place for "slither", thank you so much !
Have done a lot of editing, removed several adjectives  Wall.gif  
Hope it's a little better (it's a bun just out of the oven, ya know...laugh.gif )
Best,
Sylvia dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 26 05, 13:29
Post #9

Hi Sylvia,

Sorry! My delay caught me out there - I can't continue that crit because you've already changed some things.

The verse splits - yes, please consider that.

The chamber pot would be a disaster for a British audience because it is an object of such mirth and ridicule here. What did you mean by that phrase, please? I see what you mean about being humorous but I think that fits ill with the poem - I think the point that even the heavens look Sh.. is best made seriously - I don't think this is a poem into which humour can successfully be injected. I believe it will undermine it too much.

Don't worry about removing the sub-title from this posting's heading - but I agree with Alan that I wouldn't use it again: acts as a barrier to some and a certain expectation-raiser to others; best let people think for themselves. I would not change the sub-title to "victimisation" etc - you poem should be (and is) good enough to stand on its own... no need to instruct the audience.

I take Fran's point that women don't want to be labelled as victims but also her implied point that it isn't always women. You poem is about women and that's absolutely fine - but it is (and has to be) an incomplete picture of victimisation. So leave it as a precise spotlight on one particular aspect.

Dismissing "draughts" was good. (I think Americans call the game "Chequers" by the way).

I still think your "unanswerable riddle" is strange - do you mean as in a Catch 22 situation - a complex situation where victims cannot pull themselves out? Riddle sounds very Sherlock Holmes; very intriguing. You want (I think) sympathy for their plight; not puzzle-solving.

Hope this helps a little and that I have understood much.

If you're going to use that snake so often, why not thread him throughout each verse? As is looks a little indecisive??

All the best, James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 26 05, 14:05
Post #10

Hello again, Sylvia. dove.gif

I'm still stuck with insufficient vocabulary to describe exactly how this feels to me - a sort of malevolantly sick sensuality, perhaps? Hmm...

It is becoming more focused; the tightening has worked well. Gusts is a harsh but effective word, and the snake is becoming more omnipresent.

I think my comment re the subtitle was because the naration is ostensibly 'neutral' - a description of a scene - and the women in a situation like that would not know of any choice in life: not a feminist viewpoint, merely surviving. But actually the POV is carefully angled to let the reader decide - so maybe absolutely right and I just hadn't thought enough.  upside.gif

Your pillow obviously talks far more sense than many people. Jester.gif

Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 26 05, 15:36
Post #11

Hi Sylvia

Like Fran, I feel this poem evokes in me a strange mixture of sensuality, venom and revulsion.  Also I am left uncertain as to whether the women are willing participants or being used and abused.  Certainly their bodies are being abused by constant pregnancy.  Interestingly, though your piece is set in Patagonia, it would have been the same story for women all over the world before contraception was easily available especially among the poorer communities.  Women worn out and old before their time because of constant pregnancy, poor diet, poor sanitation and disease.

Nina

Psyche
post Jan 27 05, 12:14
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nina @ Jan. 26 2005, 17:36)
Hi Sylvia

Like Fran, I feel this poem evokes in me a strange mixture of sensuality, venom and revulsion.  Also I am left uncertain as to whether the women are willing participants or being used and abused.  Certainly their bodies are being abused by constant pregnancy.  Interestingly, though your piece is set in Patagonia, it would have been the same story for women all over the world before contraception was easily available especially among the poorer communities.  Women worn out and old before their time because of constant pregnancy, poor diet, poor sanitation and disease.

Nina

Hi Nina !

Your comments are so welcome, always. How wonderful to learn how other people "receive" one's stumbling efforts...
1. The sensual, revulsive part (though not actually planned), has to do with an integration of landscape and human acts that I guess I learned along the way, from different readings. One always picks up a little here and there, and then suddenly it all comes out and surprises even oneself.
I've always been impressed by the great writers who used Nature to reflect or emphasize humankind's repulsive actions, from Greek drama (i.e., Antigone), thru' Shakespeare (Lear, Macbeth, etc.), to Thomas Hardy (impressive!!!) and the more modern "Cold Comfort Farm", by Stella Gibbons.
It's as if Nature becomes awesome, terrifying or plain revulsive (Cold Comfort Farm), when the people in that corner of the planet act in a perverse or cruel fashion. Usually, Nature returns to her beauty and calmness when the "wrongs" are righted or Time flows by...
Anyway, that's what I've humbly attempted with "my" corner of the globe, Patagonia. It is indeed an extremely beautiful region, but, personally, I can't stomach the injustices that are committed and the devastation of the land. Therefore I sometimes paint the land as being harsh and cruel, as Nature certainly can be. There is a "shadow" to everything, isn't there?
2. You make a good point about the uncertainty of the woman's attitude towards abuse. I have seen depths of despair and apathy among people, where taking care of one's own body appears to be too hard a task. It's a matter of utter depression and desolation, not of preservatives and sanitation. Teennage pregnancies are often through lack of love and family support, which leads to self-abandon and apathy. Hardly a cry for help, more like a void...
By the way, I'm talking about actual reality, not sometime in the past. These things are happening in about 2/3 of the globe right now....sorry !!
Nina, I appreciate your help enormously,
thanks again,
Psyche dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Jan 27 05, 12:23
Post #13

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi James !
Have read your comments with great interest and will be back asap. Duty calls in the kitchen !!
The editing will have to wait until some bellies have been filled.... Jester.gif
Thanks again,
Psyche dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Jan 28 05, 03:17
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Good morning Sylvia,  sun.gif

I think the emotions I derived from this desolate poem were savagery, cruelty, raw sexuality and an overwhelming sadness for the human condition.

That is not to say that I didn't like the poem. On the contrary, this is so strong it screams out for attention to the plight of such poor people.

It is a Great poem Sylvia.  Read.gif

These lines are brilliant..

burning a path between escarpments
and the sensual drool of a river,
egged on by the lusty moans of breezes.

They set such a sensual scene, leading into the brutalisation of this woman,  making the reader feel like a peeping Tom.

You are unique in expressing the misery and suffering of these people and showing their plight to the world.

Keep on championing their cause, Sylvia.  One day the world just might listen. If not, it certainly wasn't for the want of your trying my friend.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Jan 28 05, 05:02
Post #15

Dear Sylvia,

Thank you for the reassurances !

I was rather taken aback by what I saw as the overly "feminist" agenda of the poem, and perhaps its similarities to the sisterhood's rants.

But I see from your replies that that is possibly a side-effect of your true message.

As to how to remove, I think you'll need Cleo for that !

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 28 05, 05:15
Post #16

MM Security: Cleo removes feminists? Could cause uproar

James.

Psyche
post Feb 9 05, 12:03
Post #17

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jox @ Jan. 28 2005, 07:15)
MM Security: Cleo removes feminists? Could cause uproar

James.

HA HA JAMES !!! Indeed, I do not know who changed the sub-title for me, better let the MM hacker keep a low profile, for safety's sake.
I shall certainly think twice about subtitles in future. You're right !
Sylvia dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 9 05, 13:39
Post #18

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi James !

I've finally gotten down to editing the poem. Put verse splits as you suggested. Also removed some articles and chiselled down one or two lines. Thanks a lot for your valuable assistance !

Haven't changed "riddle" because in my book it's an ancient term used for profound questions, i.e., the riddle posed to Oedipus by the Sphynx !  

a complex situation where victims cannot pull themselves out?

Right ! Old Oedipus gained only passing glory by guessing the riddle. In that sense, riddles are "unanswerable", since they don't solve the existential problem.

I don't care whether it's used in a more superficial fashion nowadays.  Yes, if you like, it's a Catch-22 situation; that book expressed ghastly events matter-of-factly, with shocking effect.

I'm not expressing sympathy, I'm describing things.

The other problem, posed by the "chamber-pot sky", has been resolved by an even worse metaphor, as you may see. I propose to emulate Stella Gibbons with this poem. It's purposely an admixture of tragicomic images, with exaggeration as a prime poetic recourse. Sorry !! (not for everybody's taste, I admit...).    :(   oops.gif

All the same, you'll see that I've followed your advice and done plenty of editing. Thank you so much, James !!

Psyche  :wave:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Feb 9 05, 13:52
Post #19

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Cybele !

At last I've reached the editing part of my job here. Way behind in everything !!

I'm very glad that you find this poem digestible, since it was subconsciously meant to be very in-digestible...  :speechless:

I think the emotions I derived from this desolate poem were savagery, cruelty, raw sexuality and an overwhelming sadness for the human condition.
That is not to say that I didn't like the poem. On the contrary, this is so strong it screams out for attention to the plight of such poor people.

Yes, that's exactly what I think I was trying to achieve. You've put it into rational speech for me, Grace. Sadly, the world we live in calls for "screaming out for attention", as you so well put it.

Whew... I value your judgement so very much, Grace. Thank you for dropping by and allowing me to shriek with fury now and then ! Jester.gif

I'm afraid I shall not be able to offer crits of others' work until tomorrow. Family is visiting !!

Hugs,
Psyche  :wave:

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 18:57

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: